PDA

View Full Version : Rating System

coldskier0320
29 January 2003, 05:22 PM
OK, this is merely a curiosity: Is there any way to see who gave you a rating or is it supposed to be anonymous? Once again, theres no problem, just curiosity:D

Nova Spice
29 January 2003, 06:27 PM
As far as I know, there is no way to know who gave you what rating unless they specifically stated their name in the comments sidebar. I suppose, through careful deduction, you might be able to figure out who gave you what by glancing at who has voted to rank you.

It's probably a good thing that the Admins decided to conceal the names of specific ratings. I know it would be tempting for more than a few people to retaliate after a low score. ;)

coldskier0320
30 January 2003, 03:04 AM
OK, that's what i figured, thanks NovaSpice . Also, it'd help to cut down on givin others high ratings if they agree to give you one, good call admins!

Rogue Janson
30 January 2003, 03:37 AM
Having said that, records of who rates you are available to the admins so that if you report what you think is an abuse of the system, they can take action.

Armage Bedar
3 February 2003, 05:40 AM
I just figured I'd tell you guys -- look for the rating system to be overhauled or even dropped when we go through the next upgrade in a few months. We're thinking of some new ideas to use in place of it.

VixenofVenus
3 February 2003, 06:07 AM
In stead of a PERSONAL ratings system ... maybe a THREAD ratings system ... ??

Rogue Janson
3 February 2003, 07:22 AM
How about a system where you can challenge people who give you low ratings to personal combat?
That seems like a sensible route to me.

VixenofVenus
3 February 2003, 09:55 AM
* Gives Rogue Janson a 0.5 *

BRING IT ON WUSSY-BOY!

* Ignites lightsaber *

hehe

No really. What if we had a Thread ratings system ... a single thread would start out at a rating of nothing, until it gets a vote, then if you took part in a thread with a certain average rating, you get that added to your list of ratings.

Then, it influences people to post meaningful stuff so that those threads get rated high ... BUT ... make the rating of a specific thread HIDDEN, so we don't have any gimpy people joining threads just to MOOCH the high rating ... :)

Vanger Chevane
3 February 2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by VixenofVenus
No really. What if we had a Thread ratings system ... a single thread would start out at a rating of nothing, until it gets a vote, then if you took part in a thread with a certain average rating, you get that added to your list of ratings.

Then, it influences people to post meaningful stuff so that those threads get rated high ... BUT ... make the rating of a specific thread HIDDEN, so we don't have any gimpy people joining threads just to MOOCH the high rating ... :)

I agree with ppl not mooching points, but the Thread Rating (hidden or not) can be just as disastrous. Someone posting something very worthwhile in a thread that is going downhill or spinning off-topic (and therefore has a low rating) would negatively effect the points of, (and effectively punish) someone who was acting to improve the thread/topic.

Very quickly, the points would become pointless, or you'd find many threads go straight into the bit-bucket without any chance of recovery as ppl wouldn't want to risk hurting their rating on a trying to save dodgy thread, and seemingly high-quality threads would get all the replies, including many useless ones, as ppl attempted to boost their ratings.

I also like the idea of being able to challenge a bad rating. It seems to me that a significant number of ppl would rather just bash someone's rating than discuss whatever issue they have with that person, via PM/Post/IM/Email/whatever. I have specifically avoided handing out rate bashes at least until I've had a chance to discuss whatever issue I have with that person. Also, I've seen a vast majority of ratings to be low ones, rather than high ones. Ppl do not hesitate to hand someone a bash as the system's designed so they can easily do so without any responsibility whatsoever for bashing another member's rating, but they are unwilling to hand out good ratings on any sort of equal basis (in fact rarely, if at all).

Since the ratings are used as a benchmark by a vast majority of members, ppl should be handing out bad ratings as a last resort, not default, especially since the recipient has no recourse once bashed. AFAIK there's no way a member can challenge a low rating, let alone prove it was undeserved.

For example, I could run around the Holonet, handing anyone I felt like a 1 simply because I felt like bashing ppls ratings, and nothing can be done about it until/unless an Admin decides that I'm doing something wrong & then to act on it. The members can do nothing but watch their ratings slide for no reason whatsoever, let alone a good one.

I got nailed by someone today, yes I figured out who you are, for simply disagreeing with them, and getting a very high-handed comment from them. Although I am somewhat tempted to retaliate, it would do nothing to solve the problem & only be venal.

I could've swore that the Holonet was for discussion & provoking thought, not bashing someone's rating if they don't agree with what you say, or stating their point of view on the topic. Not making any sort of statement about other members.

Does Admin care that someone has abused the rating system? I won't believe it until they contact me for the details, and we discuss the issue.

But I spose I just can't expect 90% of Hunamity to act responsibly or honorably.

KnightStalker
3 February 2003, 04:06 PM
I don't use it, I don't give out ratings, and I myself have only gotten 2 votes, since I joined.

I tend to agree that the system is flawed, if it allows people to give you positive or negative ratings, based on whether they agree with you or not.

I think that if the system is flawed, then why bother to keep it. Like Vanger stated, it is quite easy for anyone to abuse the system, so why keep it and let people use it to bash others or make themselves look better. Not only is it unfair to those that get the bashing, but it gives false impressions about the person abusing it for their own personal gain.

Personally, I say drop the Ratings System. I wouldn't miss it at all.

Armage Bedar
5 February 2003, 05:40 AM
There is a thread rating system built into vBulletin, but I've never used (primarily because I was more impressed with having a rating that was attached to a user rather than to a thread).

However, this feature will probably be deep-sixed in favor of something simpler (i.e. no comments, no numeric ratings, etc.).

VixenofVenus
5 February 2003, 06:45 AM
A little off topic here ... but I thought I would voice something FlipDog and I were wondering about:

On the RANKINGs (not ratings), does time affect your RANKING at all?

Because there are a few of us, Me Included Definitely, who post maybe 1-3 times a day, but 1-2 of those are in C&M ... so they don't count towards a post count. Now I understand why C&M posts don't count ... and I agree with it.

But on the flip side, we feel that alot of what get's said in the forums that count is just RE-Hashing stuff that's been said about a billion times ... and alot of these posters look at the top 10 threads in a forum and don't even bother to run a search before posting something that's been discussed too much already ... so we avoid those threads, which constitute a large part of the HoloNet's traffic it seems.

I guess I just wish that new people to the boards ran searches more ... I run them all the time, and the Search Engine here rocks! I wish Google had a display as useful as here! Then if they searched more ... the new stuff would be easier to find.

Thats why FlipDog only comes and reads these days ... I still post alot in C&M ... sometimes I feel like I'm restricted to there though ... It doesn't help that I've made a vow to "Go Spoiler Free for Episode Three" ... so no Rumors and Speculations Forum for me ... I feel like something is missing too ... I haven't been to TheForce.Net (other than the Unofficial Encyclopedia) in ... gasp ... 9 months!!!

Anywhoo ... maybe I'm just venting ... not sure ... but I do wonder if Time plays a factor in your RANKING ...

Dr_Worm
5 February 2003, 09:10 AM
On one hand I understand some of people's problems with the raiting system, I certainly have been a recipient of abuse. On the other hand I DO look at a person's rating often in two cases:1) New members who I have little experience with, and 2)when I have little time to peruse the site and I want to prioritize what threads I want to read. In these circumstances it is helpfull for me to get some perspecive and priority for what I am reading.

In the end I guess I will be happy with what ever happens, however I do wish there was some way to indicate the level of cooperation and help that a member gives. Both as a reward to that person, and in extreem casses, a warning to others.

Jedi_Staailis
5 February 2003, 12:56 PM
I like the rating system. In general, users who make helpful and clear posts will have high ratings, and those who are unclear or unhelpful will have lower ratings. The exact graduations can be affected by users who abuse the system, but there are safeguards to keep these effects small. When skimming a thread, I can focus on users with high ranks and high ratings, then read posts to fill in the details as necessary. Starting with the clear posts just makes picking up the idea of the thread that much easier.

Ppl do not hesitate to hand someone a bash as the system's designed so they can easily do so without any responsibility whatsoever for bashing another member's rating, but they are unwilling to hand out good ratings on any sort of equal basis (in fact rarely, if at all).
I disagree. I have frequently given out high ratings to users when their posts are helpful or clear. I've given low ratings only to users who are extremely disruptive in multiple posts.

Like Vanger stated, it is quite easy for anyone to abuse the system, so why keep it and let people use it to bash others or make themselves look better.
Actually, the ratings you are allowed to give out are restricted based on your own user rating. See this thread (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?threadid=9964) for details (look for Armage's post later in the thread, he explains the features of the rating system).

All in all, I think the rating system is more helpful than detrimental. Yes, it hurts to watch one's rating slide, but this seems to happen to everyone at one point or another. If your rating is going down, look for comments in the history and check over your recent posts. If you've been being the conscientious poster you normally are, then ignore the low ratings as someone immaturely trying to "win." When you get a high rating, odds are you're doing something right. Smile, and keep contributing to the Holonet.

dgswensen
5 February 2003, 02:37 PM
Sometimes I think a reason for a user rating should be mandatory with that rating. I have my share of low ratings, but no rationale or reason given for pretty much any of those ratings. So, not only am I unable to examine (and perhaps correct) the behavior that another user found objectionable, I am also unable to determine if it is a legitimate rating or someone getting "revenge" for something.

All I know is that someone either doesn't like me, or doesn't like something I said -- though in all likelihood have no idea what statement in particular was found offensive. I'm sure anyone with a high post count has a similar problem.

If the ratings system is to be truly useful as a measure to correct user behavior, I'm wondering if descriptions shouldn't be mandatory with the rating. Granted, this could still be abused or neglected (a user could just put "n/a" or the like), so I don't know. Just a thought.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
5 February 2003, 06:25 PM
I dunno about the rating systems.

I have to agree with vanger chevane about his response to thread ratings. Sometimes theres a decent thread that does go downhill for whatever reason - and it'd be unfair to get dragged down by the actions of others just because you indeed have a post in there.

Rank badges. The nifty icons that show what level a person is due to their post count and lengivity of membership at the holonets. Thats kewl, along with the modifiable descriptions for it. Hey, its a good little perk that not many board offer.

User voting ratings... Thats good and bad. The highs about are one can not need to wory about recieving the odd low mark without it affecting their overall rank. The bad is that ta gotta have lots of good ranks to be rather "protected". The good thing is that when earning good marks, it feels good, and is rewarding when making contributions. Unfortunatly, not everyone can always contribute those revolutionary responses every time.

The Feedback Comments: Good and bad. It can be a place for positive feedback as well as feedback that can run a person's good mood into a brick wall because someone didn't agree with your words. Its worse when you post something amusing on the subject and someone dosn't have a sense of humor or takes the subject a little toooo seriously.

The worst things for the 2 above is that their totally anonymous (unless someone wants to leave their initials, as i make it a point of doing). Thats the worst of it, Each and every one of you can flog me with 1.0's, with low and insulting remarks and be imune for saving face.

I'd either opt the comments either to be thrown out of the holonet's system, OR t make it mandatory that the voter's name in both the vote & the feedback areas are included. I think that would both promote healthy user voting, as well as deter the unfriendly feedback comments as also a recourse to adress the voters via pm to discuss it.

coldskier0320
6 February 2003, 03:11 AM
In agreement with TJ&R, i think if the rating system hangs around, make it mandatory that the rate comes to the recipient via PM so they can see who gave em the rating, good or bad, also, in the PM they should have to give some sort of a reason for their vote, again, good or bad

Dr_Worm
6 February 2003, 01:29 PM
The only problem with that is that many people are afraid that if they give a bad rating to somone else, and their name is on it, they will get a bad rating in retaliation. This will cause less people to use the rating system than already do.

Vanger Chevane
8 February 2003, 05:38 AM
that is a double-edged sword.

One side has ppl abusing the anonymity of the system to bash others for bad reasons, the other has members fearing retaliation - another bad reason.

Since no one besides the person giving the vote really knows the situation in which it was done, unless clearly and voluntarily specified in the comments, a neutral 3rd party can't look into it and make anything but the most arbitrary of decions whether any sort of vote is truly deserved, or was done with an ulterior motive.

I'd hate to see someone receive a well-deserved high rating and have other members think the voter was kissing up, or that the recipient had somehow "bought" a good vote.

Nova Spice
8 February 2003, 07:07 PM
Well, it looks as if the Rating System has just been dropped. I still had a 4.2 a few hours ago when I logged on; now it seems that all members no longer have the rating sidebar.

Should be interesting to see what other perquisite the Admins add in its place! :D