PDA

View Full Version : Tarkin in Ep. III?

Pel
9 February 2003, 09:03 PM
With the Death Star plans cameo in Ep. II, should Tarkin (pre-Grand Moff) make a similar cameo in Ep. III?

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
9 February 2003, 09:59 PM
He was a main character in Rogue Planet; however, while I personally would like to see such a cameo I don't think it'll happen.

VixenofVenus
10 February 2003, 05:35 AM
There will be one of two things happen in EpIII as far as character (and real people too) chameos ...

1. There are a ton ... so many chameos that you actually can't count them all ...

2. There are hardly any ...

Talonne Hauk
10 February 2003, 06:49 AM
I think it would be great to see Tarkin in Episode III. I always thought he was more of a villain than Darth Vader. Sure Vader was a major bad guy, but Tarkin wiped out a planet. Hopefully, if we see Tarkin, we might see Ackbar, too.
Another great cameo would be Chewbacca. Think about it, we could see the Empire leading away a line of Wookiees in chains, one of them being Chewbacca. Good old George could finally put Kasshyyk on film.

dgswensen
10 February 2003, 10:00 AM
I recall reading on theforce.net that Lucas has addressed this issue. He said he may work a cameo or two in, but there would not be a ton of recognizable characters from the original trilogy showing up.

I do agree it would be boss to see a young Tarkin, however. How about casting Jude Law in the role? (Somehow I think he would work.)

Sketchpad
10 February 2003, 10:22 AM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Tarkin in Ep III ... he was the foreman on the Death Star project. Also, in Star Wars Infinities: A New Hope, there's an interesting confrontation between Yoda and Tarkin where the Jedi Master mentions a past meeting .. .

Pel
10 February 2003, 07:17 PM
Well, Tarkin was a Republic Navy Captain, so it's entirely possibly that he met Yoda during the Clone Wars. If memory serves, Tarkin was one of Palpatine's most ardent supporters (they don't just hand over those Grand Moff badges to anyone, you know :p ), so I think it would make great sense and give excellent continuity to see him. But if I actually got paid for all my ideas...well, the world would certainly be a more entertaining place :D

Ardent
10 February 2003, 10:30 PM
I recall someone mentioning GL had said he'd wanted to do some character cameos, specifically one for a young Mr. Solo (in the company of his parents, naturally). However, GL is known for changing his mind, so after the Ep I & II backlash he may have decided against it.

Tarkin was "instrumental" in the rise of the New Order, and is given credit for the final design and construction of the first Death Star. That's a lot of support he's given Palpatine.

Keep in mind, Tarkin was a Senatorial Neophyte and Yoda spent a lot of time in the area of the Senate, so it's possible they met at a diplomatic function or the like.

Nova Spice
11 February 2003, 07:19 AM
Well, IMO, the few scenes with Owen Lars and Beru Whitesun in Episode II are considered cameos. They had no impact on the storyline to those that have yet to see Episode IV, but had some screen time.

That being the case, I don't see why GL wouldn't place Grand Moff Tarkin in Episode III for a few scenes. Perhaps he's a new member of the "Loyalist Committee" that replaces Bail Organa after Palpatine declares himself Emperor?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Wilhuff was in the prequel finale. In fact, I'm expecting it. :D

KnightStalker
11 February 2003, 09:12 PM
In that book, Tarkin was the Lt. Governor of the planet Eriadu, long before he was a military man as depicted in Rogue Planet. So by taking that into account, you get :

CoD : Eriadu Lt. Governor ( civilian government occupation )

RP : Republic Military Officer ( military career )

Combine those two careers of his, along with his loyalty to Palpatine, and you get :

Ep IV : ANH : Grand Moff ( Imperial Regional Governor, IN military uniform ).

I've seen elsewhere on this site where someone referred to Tarkin as a Grand Admiral, but he was never one of the 13 Grand Admirals that served under Palpatine. The title of Moff is a reference to a regional military government position, a Grand Moff would therefore be a Moff that oversees several regions, rather than just one region.

In RotJ, the commanding officer of the DSII, Commander Jerjerrod, has the much simpler title of Moff, indicating that he was a minor regional governer, unlike Tarkin, who oversaw several different sectors or regions.

Ardent
11 February 2003, 09:59 PM
A Grand Moff wields battlefield stature equivalent to a Grand Admiral or Grand General, depending on the location (and, of course, their personal choice). It's unclear who wins out in a military command situation, however. I'd go with the military man over the Moff, myself. ;)

Mustang_GT
12 February 2003, 04:19 AM
Absolutely. Tarkin is one bad dude. He not only needs a cameo but should also play a larger part in E3. Maybe as one of the Palpatine's trusted staff. "Who would play Tarkin?" is a good questionn too.

Silent
12 February 2003, 10:16 AM
Hmm, yeah, I'd really like to see more of Tarkin in the next episode just to give some background for his appearance in ANH. Really, he is almost on a level with Vader in that movie, so it would be nice if he was given some kind of introduction, expecially in the context of the Death Star...

Jedi Master Talon
7 March 2003, 09:22 AM
Tarkin will probably be in Episode III because he is in a New Hope and it has to show how he gets tide in with The Emporer. Thats my guess.

LanLarado
22 March 2003, 12:44 PM
I hope that they have Tarkin in the third movie because he is one of the coolest bad guys in the movies. It was too bad that he did not have a chance to go on in the other movies.
:ds1:

Lucas Carr
1 April 2003, 05:21 AM
I hope Tarkin will be in Ep III. If he is, it will most probably be in connection with the death star. But I don't think it is as likely that he is in III as Owen and Beru.

IMO it was necessary to include Owen and Beru in the story, if for no other reason than to tell us how Anakin and Owen could be brothers, after what we learned in Phantom Menace.