PDA

View Full Version : Proper Thread Placement

Nova Spice
12 February 2003, 07:15 AM
As of late I have noticed a horde of threads and topics placed in forums that have no relevancy to the topic at hand. This has become increasingly more common and quite honestly, is beginning to become more than a nuisance.

I know for a fact that many Moderators are having to constantly move threads hither and thither, and I'm sure they are growing weary of it as well.

I honestly cannot grasp how someone, for example, might place a topic discussing D20 stats for Luke Skywalker in the New Jedi Order Forum. It seems rather obvious that anything having to do with D20 should be placed in the D20 Discussion Forum.

Alas, this isn't targeting anyone, but nevertheless it seems to be a growing epidemic and has really bugged myself and others that frequent the Holonet. So in essence, please place your questions and topics in the appropriate forum, if not for my sanity, then at least for the Moderators! :D

Rant off. ;)

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
13 February 2003, 11:35 AM
I agree completely Nova, also members should always search before posting a new thread to see if that topic has already been discussed.

VixenofVenus
13 February 2003, 12:04 PM
I agree when it's the really obvious ones ...

I had a thread of mine moved from the General SWRPG to the 'Trading Post' forum or whatever it is ... and well ... I really didn't know why. I wasn't really trying to enlist players, I was trying to let people go have a good SWRPG read ...

We may run things in D20, but you can't tell the difference really ... skill checks and all that may be different around a table top in how they are done ... but Star Wars is Star Wars ... and on a Message board its really easy to just sit back and ROLEPLAY.

Anyhoo ... I am kinda stealing your rant for my own.

But I agree, the really obvious ones where they ask for Stats in the General or the Gamemastering Forums ... those bug me ... cause it's supposed to be non-system specific.

Nafai
13 February 2003, 01:19 PM
Vixen, are you really going to complain about people not putting things in the right spot, and in the same thread say:

the 'Trading Post' forum or whatever it is

??

Kind of hard for someone to take your post seriously when you don't even know the names of the Forums. ;)

It's Trader's Infonet, and it's not simply for player enlistment, but any non-Network related advertisements and goings on.

Reverend Strone
13 February 2003, 03:29 PM
Come on guys, is it really that big a deal?

I mean, finding threads in the wrong place can make one roll one's eyes, but is it really worth getting up tight about?

I've transferred my fair share of threads across to the appropriate forums since becoming a Moderator, and before that I made my fair share of mistakes with my own threads. Generally those kinds of mistakes occur out of ignorance. Once a user knows better, they tend not to repeat the same mistakes.

I really question whether this is really an issue to get worked up about. It's a minor inconvenience at most.

Fred Getce
14 February 2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone
Once a user knows better, they tend not to repeat the same mistakes.

Let he heed thy words of thy lord the moderator of swrpgnetwork holonet forums, less he be bent on repeating thou own mistakes for all eternity to come.

So nay search for thou own place amongst the glowing lines of the swrpgnetwork holonet forums, but do not choose carelessly. For your own place for your own words or the words of another. For a miss-placed title, a miss-spelled word or a miss-quoted phrase may incur the horrid wrath of Nova Spice, Arch Duke and Lord of Rants and Raves.

And if thou tarry longer after the retribution from our Lord Nova Spice, thou will feel the biting, stinging, acidic tone of VixenOfVenus, the Lady of Jest and Acidic Humor whose tongue slashes as does the inquisitor's to flesh. I for one shall be for ever vigilant against these and those who lurk amongst the forums and the threads.

Forever watching.
Forever waiting.
Forever reading.
Forever lurking in the shadows.

Ardent
15 February 2003, 09:52 PM
I'd like to interject on this rant of rants and just say that I like cheese.

In fact, I think I'd like to start a thread about that. And how it's represented in the d20 system compared to the D6 system. And how it's used in roleplaying.

Where would I post this thread?

I hope my point is getting through here: sometimes it's not obvious to someone where something belongs. There are subjects that a moderator won't feel belongs in their forum, while the poster could end up scratching their head and going "did the moderator even read my post?"

This is especially true for the subjects that touch on more than one area. ;)

Just some food for thought (no pun intended...that's my cheese dangit).

Jericho_Narcas
20 February 2003, 02:57 AM
You know what Ardent? I really like cheese too. In fact, I think of myself as a connoisseur of fine cheeses.

I especially like that 7-year old Wisconsin Cheddar -- that stuff that crumbles apart, and you can still taste like an hour after you've eaten it. You ever had any of that?

Rogue Janson
20 February 2003, 05:25 AM
I don't like cheese and if I wanted to start a rant about that fact, I know I'd come to this very forum. Did you know they no longer make Cheddar cheese in Cheddar?