PDA

View Full Version : Possiblities for the Next Trilogy

LL|Jerk
17 February 2003, 03:57 PM
After letting my wild side reign in the Battle of Endor thread, I have started this thread to discuss the possibilities for George Lucas's Next Trilogy.

The Prequels:
Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
Episode 2: Attack of the Clones
Episode 3: Fall of the Republic (?)

The Trilogy:
Episode 4: A New Hope
Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back
Episode 6: Return of the Jedi

The "Postquels" (?)
Episode 7: ???
Episode 8: ???
Episode 9: ???

What I'm asking is:
1) The possiblity of GL acually creating another Trilogy after the Prequels
2) What said Trilogy (the "postquels" ;)) are likely to be about

Talonne Hauk
17 February 2003, 04:31 PM
George has repeatedly stated that there won't be any "postquels", (I like that. Catchy.:) ) He said that idea got started from him being misquoted in a Rolling Stone article in 1980. Except that he has been repeatedly quoted in various other sources from that time period as saying that he had wanted to make 9 episodes. So take that for what you will. George does seem to have a way of distorting the past. These days, he says he wants to work in TV after finishing Episode 3. I think if he were to make the postquels, they'd be on that medium, rather than the big screen. That way, he'd have the time to drag them out at whatever pace he desired, rather than mashing it all together. (Movie theaters want shorter movies for more showtimes.) Now, what would it be about? I think it would be about an enemy more subtle than the Sith and Empire. It would probably be more about society's problems after the reign of the Empire, and would feature Jedi making new revelations concerning the Force. And have enemies come from outside the galaxy.... Sorry. But what I was writing did seem to have some similar implications to the New Jedi Order.
I don't know what the postquels would be about. But if it ever happens, you can bet I'll be front and center to see it!

LL|Jerk
17 February 2003, 04:48 PM
Good point, buddy. I have read most of the NJO books, and that series seems like it would be AWESOME for a TV series.

The Postquels:

Episode 7: Dark Empire
Episode 8: The Empire Strikes Back II (aka Dark Empire II) :D
Episode 9: Empire's End

Grimace
17 February 2003, 04:59 PM
My opinion:

There won't be any other movies made after Episode III. The fervor associated with the first trilogy won't occur with the second trilogy, so there won't be the push to do any more movies.

As to what they could be...

I'd like Episode 7 to be the whole Thrawn Trilogy
I'd like Episode 8 to be Dark Empire
and I'd like Episode 9 to be... I dunno. Something.

Now if *I* was writing the stories, they'd be something else entirely different. There'd be a connection to the original trilogy, but that would be it. None of the living characters would be the same, save for maybe a brief guest appearance of the dying old man named Luke Skywalker.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
18 February 2003, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Grimace
My opinion:

There won't be any other movies made after Episode III. The fervor associated with the first trilogy won't occur with the second trilogy, so there won't be the push to do any more movies.

There probably would be a push for more Star Wars films by the Studios, because even with their special deal with Lucas, they would still make unholy amounts of money on any new Star Wars movies.

Faraer
18 February 2003, 06:09 AM
For post-Episode VI movies, George Lucas would need to have some new insight as to what happens after the eucatastrophe, which is not a knowledge that exists in our culture. We can be sure that the Bantam and Del Rey novels -- in which the Empire persists and is followed by a bunch of other similarly dramatic threats to our heroes -- are nothing like what George envisages after Endor, where evil is destroyed. There are a million possibilities for less metaphysically heightened stories before and after the films, but unless GL or another director was excited about them -- more excited than about other work they could do -- they would be fairly pointless even though certainly very profitable. A TV series along the lines of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles is more likely.

LL|Jerk
18 February 2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by ALFRED_THE_EWOK
There probably would be a push for more Star Wars films by the Studios, because even with their special deal with Lucas, they would still make unholy amounts of money on any new Star Wars movies.
Holy He|| that is an understatement. That's why I think that Dark Empire should be the "Next Trilogy". Palpatine is The bad guy throughout both trilogies, it should only follow that he makes his final return in Dark Empire. He's up with "Sauron" from Lord of the Rings in terms of pure evil.

My only fear is that should Lucas go on to create another trilogy in Dark Empire, that he will piss it down his leg just like he did with the Prequels. Palpatine has grown much more powerful in Dark Empire, and I can only imagine how sweet that a reborn Emperor would look in the next trilogy.

Pel
19 February 2003, 11:26 AM
Georgie tends not to like ideas about his universe that he didn't borrow first. While Dark Empire and the Thrawn Trilogy would make for excellent movies, George didn't write them so he won't use them. Besides, he's still mad about the (relatively) lukewarm reception of his last two ideas.

Rogue Janson
19 February 2003, 12:00 PM
I'm pretty sure Lucas doesn't want to make any more star wars films. I'm sure the studios would love him to, but I think he's got enough will and clout to resist.

Were he to make another trilogy, set after the OT and ignoring the EU, it's hard to guess what would be in it, I don't really see there's anywhere to go from RotJ in the vein of the films (which, as has been noted, is considerably different to the EU).

Likewise, GL doesn't seem to have shown much interest in the EU, but I think I might ignore that if I feel like it.

So that means we can speculate about cool stuff :D.

I've developed something of a bad reaction to the Thrawn trilogy and it could easily end up as pretty generic sci-fi. I'm not all that familiar with the Dark Empire storyline, but it could make a really nice set of films, there's certainly lots of good stuff in it.

How about some stuff set in the Tales of the Jedi era? That might be the sort of thing GL would like, taking the force back to its roots, to a purer form. There's loads of potential for epicness and It could depict the true mythical days of the Republic, in a way the prequels don't.

I don't know about a Star Wars TV series, it could run the risk of horribly traducing everything star wars is about - and that's from someone who doesn't mind the EU. I also don't know whether the special effects would be possible - although maybe ILM could do for TV what they've done for film. (On the other hand, think how long SW films take to make nowadays.)

There's loads of stuff that could make an exciting SW TV series. In terms of adapting EU stuff, I've always thought the Rogue Squadron books would probably work well. In a Young Indy vein, there's loads of potential for stories about jedi in the OR, you could have a series focusing on a master and apprentice, or a newly qualified jedi knight or any number of exciting things. If we're relying on GL, again this might be the sort of things he'd like to do.

Corsec025
19 February 2003, 01:18 PM
I doubt that GL would make another trilogy, but hell it would be great!

I totally agree with Grimace; as I was disappointed that we still have the same* heroes as in the OT. I mean sure, I love Luke and Leia, but who wants to see Princess Leia in her little Jabba outfit when she is nearly 50!?

I would love, myself, to see something along the lines of, instead of a dying Master Skywalker, a dying Ben Skywalker... that is if he survives the NJO!

Think about it though... 142 years after the NJO... The weathered old Jedi Master sat outside of the small hut on the swampy world... hmmm... just got an idea for a story.

*: Sure we do have new characters, but nearly all the OT heroes are there!

Celebelen Khelekluin
21 February 2003, 03:48 PM
I remember Lucas saying somewhere, think it was on the Ep II DVD actually, that though he won't be doing any more Star Wars, he really wants to keep doing Sci-fi, and has ideas of completely different types he'd like to get made into movies....wow, that became a big run-on sentance. Ahhhh! Grammar!! :D

wolverine
21 February 2003, 11:05 PM
I would say place it during the thrawn trilogy too, BUT for one little kicker. THe prequals are all starting aroudn 20+ years before ANH. THe thrawn trilogy is only 5 years After ROTJ. For them to use a series of novels with the same 20 year or so gap, they would have to delve into the NJO, and i honestly do not see, 3 films doing the NJO justice.

Now i am another who would love to see DE DE2 and EE on the big screen (maybe a fan fic made one in the likes of final fantasy) or even on video. But i would also love to see the entire X-wing series (including wraith squadron) as well as most of the other novels be put into films (whether just made for TV or otherise).

Dark Orbit
22 February 2003, 04:26 AM
What about the NJO Series as the final 3 movies?

In the first two trilogies, there has been the one major group of bad guys in each trilogy

(Trade Federation/Seperatists against the Republic)
&
(the Empire against the Rebellion)

I think there should be a new, third major group of villains in the third trilogy if he ever makes it...Maybe the Yuuzang Vong?

For me there would be no real point in including the Empire anywhere cuz they are finished. (Heck, they're joining the Galactic Alliance in Force Heritic I) The Yuuzang Vong in NJO would be an excellent villain, bringing new evil faces to the picture, as well as their ships and etc, and almost unlimited numbers

and who wouldn't want to see those gigantic space battles which are present in the books?

Rogue Janson
22 February 2003, 08:17 AM
The thing is, though they have different villains to a degree, the ultimate villain in the films is Palpatine and whoever his Sith apprentice happens to be.

This gives a continuity that would be lost with the Yuuzhan Vong, but kept with Dark Empire.

I agree that a trilogy couldn't really do justice to the NJO - in fact it specifically does things that probably wouldn't be possible with the limitations of films.

Talonne Hauk
22 February 2003, 09:08 AM
I would tend to agree with making Dark Empire the next trilogy except for this; it stunk. It was an absolute travesty. I don't like Kevin J. Anderson's works either, but I'll give him this; at least he didn't make such a hackneyed, cliched plot point like cloning the Emperor become the center of any of his books. He introduced new villains. (Ineffectual , true. But at least they were a new take.) Some of you argue that keeping the Emperor the main villain is thematic. I think if that was done, Star Wars would be as well received as the last Star Trek movie, which used a clone as an integral plot point, too. That's why I think a continuation of the saga would have to have new villains and new conflicts, otherwise it's simply a retread of past movies.:sabersml:

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
22 February 2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Talonne Hauk
That's why I think a continuation of the saga would have to have new villains and new conflicts, otherwise it's simply a retread of past movies.:sabersml:

But isn't that the point of sequels (if I may be cynical for a moment)?

Ardent
23 February 2003, 12:14 PM
First of all, let me just say this: there's almost no way GL will tread into post-Endor material ever. The EU has defined and redefined and predefined that era to the max(imum extreme! Go Tony Hawk). Besides, there's the issue of securing all the actors. Because you know, I believe in my heart, that would happen...

I figure if GL does do something on TV it will be Clone Wars or possibly Rise of the Empire era stuff and probably not all live action.

Doing it LA isn't infeasible, though. Herc & Xena proved that special effects can be done believeably on a tight deadline. Although, once again, the issue of actors arises.

What would I like to see? I'd like to see something new, frankly. Watching any of the EU stuff on the screen as part of Lucas' "postquel" would seem hollow to me.

Having some of the EU stuff done as stand-alone Star Wars movies, however, would be like a gift from heaven. I hope GL will consider letting that happen, as it not only could be huge for Lucasfilm, but it would be huge for the EU support community. ;)

Reverend Strone
23 February 2003, 03:57 PM
Well, I was going to post something but then I read Ardent's post above, and he's pretty much said everything Iwas going to. At the risk of seeming like I have nothing new to add, Ill stick a big DITTO under his post.

Read on for more of the same if it interests you...

There ain't gona be any more SW movies, but in this day and age of high television production values, I'd say the possiblility of a very satisfying and extremely good looking SW TV series is definately on the cards. It really just depends on who would write it. If a possible SW TV show needed something, it would be new blood that understood what made the classic trilogy great and how that could be translated to the small screen on a weekly basis.

As far as FX go, heck, we could do it where I work, and to a much higher level that anything done back on Herc and Xena (thanks for the close to home examples Ardent), given the funding. It's all possible.

Looking at an Era, I'd also agree with Ardent on that note too. Beyond ROTJ is unlikely to furnish any shows, but the Clone Wars (als evidenced by the impending animated series) or Rise of the Empire Eras are more likely prospects. Perhaps even a pre-prequel series may have potential?

Talonne Hauk
23 February 2003, 04:20 PM
Alfred-
There's a difference between facing the same villain ad nauseum, especially when said villain is already supposed to have been dispatched, and facing the same themes. Luke's life is supposed to parallel Anakin's to some degree, to see how Anakin fell from grace, and how perilously close Luke could have, too. And the only villain to really continue from the prequels to the Holy Trilogy is Palpatine, who is the mastermind. Otherwise, there's a great deal of difference in villainy. In Dark Empire, Palpatine returned, having transferred his essence to a waiting clone body. I thought that was uninspired and cheapened the drama of Return of the Jedi. Instead of our heroes fighting a credible, new threat to the galaxy, they're refighting a war already supposed to have been won.
Kinda cheesy.

Reverend-
I think an X-Wing series set post-RoTJ would work very well. The novels do work as an extrapolation of the timeline, because they reveal very little in terms of the big picture. And there's a great opportunity for new stories, too. But I think movies of post-RoTJ wouldn't work. TV mini-series maybe, but nothing on the big screen.

Reverend Strone
23 February 2003, 04:27 PM
Reverend-
I think an X-Wing series set post-RoTJ would work very well. The novels do work as an extrapolation of the timeline, because they reveal very little in terms of the big picture. And there's a great opportunity for new stories, too. But I think movies of post-RoTJ wouldn't work. TV mini-series maybe, but nothing on the big screen.

Yeah, I'd buy that. Probably true Talonne, but then fighter jocks in any era would always be cool. I just tend to think the likelihood of a series based on fighter jocks is perhaps all the more likely when they're Jedi fighter jocks.;)

Ardent
23 February 2003, 09:06 PM
If you're talking the X-Wing novel series, it's VERY doable. Two monkeys with wrenches though: there are significant storyline cameos by major players in the original trilogy. Second: Wedge.

Aside from those two points, it is indeed a very doable thing, although I think it would be better formed into six movies (made-for-TV or otherwise) because of the intensity of the space battle sequences and my desire for them not to be glazed over for production cost and time issues.

I'll echo the Reverend's theory that fighter jocks in any era would be cool. I think this has been proven time and again: people love to hate fighter jocks. ;)

Talon Razor 'GM'
23 February 2003, 09:18 PM
The X-wing series would make great TV series movies. And cool space battles can be done and cheap. Have any of you seen the Tyderium trailer on TF.N? It's a fan film and has some great graphics of dogfights. Now, if a fanfilm can do that, TV funded projects can too.
The books were well written and have great characters. Would make a great watch, that's for sure.

Only problem is, knowing Lucas, it will never come about...

Sigh, we will just have to watch our Star Wars Cartoons...:(

Silent
3 March 2003, 06:17 AM
I'd like to enthusiastically ditto the suggestion about a Rogue Squadron TV series: that one pretty well begs to be turned into a TV show as opposed to a movie. They could do the fall of Coruscant in a three-parter...

As for movies, if GL doesn't want to make the last three I can see why: it just may be pushing things a little too far in terms of plot creation. After the Prequel-Trilogy, there is (or will be) a nice cliff-hanger as the Emperor takes control of the Senate, Anakin falls to the Dark Side, the Jedi are exterminated and Luke and Leia are sent for adoption. After the Regular Trilogy things just aren't that up in the air; it's all tued up into a nice little and-they-lived-happily-ever-after thing. I suppose that a threat could be made up, but it would have to be disconnected from the Emperor, which is a rather biggish jump from the what the story was so far. Of course, he could be cloned with his own facilities, which would be nice and ironic, but unless it were done well it might seem like a bit of a rehash.