PDA

View Full Version : Institutions of the Republic government

Faraer
18 February 2003, 05:27 AM
These institutions have been established as part of the government of the Galactic Republic. Anyone have additions or comments? A few may be partly independent of the central government, but I've included them anyway.

Galactic Senate
-- Senate committees: Allocations Committee, Committee on New World Discovery and Exploration, Dispensation Committee, Financial Appropriations Committee, Internal Activities Committee, Interspecies Advisory Committee, Investigative Committee
-- Senate Guard
Agricultural Administration
Bureau of Ships and Services (BoSS)
Diplomatic Corps
Galactic Courts of Justice
-- Supreme Court
General Ministry
-- General Ministry Communications Agency
-- General Ministry Institutes
Judicial Department
-- Republic Guard
Ministry of Finance
Ministry of Science
Refugee Relief Movement
Republic Correctional Authority
Republic Scout Service
Republic Tax Collection Agency
Senate Bureau of Intelligence
Trade Commission
The Academy
Sector Rangers

coldskier0320
18 February 2003, 06:14 AM
Well, looks good, i think the ORIGINAL holonet was kinda made by the Old Republic too, although i might be mistaken, but heck, the thread is young, im sure we'll see lots more...

Pel
18 February 2003, 07:28 AM
Looks like a fairly comprehensive list. I would add:

Senate Guards
Port and Customs Authority
Jedi Council

While the Jedi weren't officially part of the Republic Government, they were integral players in the smooth running of the Galaxy.

Faraer
19 February 2003, 09:07 AM
I pieced my list together from a lot of places. I hope someone at Lucas Licensing has something like it, or we're going to see some pointless inconsistencies.

Yup, the HoloNet was built during the height of the Republic. The General Ministry Communications Agency is what administers it.

Got the Senate Guard. What source is the Port and Customs Authority from?

Pel
19 February 2003, 11:00 AM
No source. I was just drawing an analogy between the US government and the SW one. Some sort of central authority that oversees interstellar commerce (taxation of trade routes) and customs makes sense. Some dangerous animals, exotic weapons, and such will be banned in Republic space.
Maybe the customs inspectors are a division of BoSS, or a standalone. Not sure.

coldskier0320
21 February 2003, 05:46 AM
Yes, i'd say port and customs authority is a kind of mushed together BoSS, local authorities, and possibly CorSec and later imperial customs (i know this is just OR, just put em in to be complete ;) )

Ardent
1 March 2003, 09:43 PM
It's actually mentioned in Platt's Smuggler Guide. It's muddled off about how it was part of BoSS with the Republic and became Imperial Customs with the rise of the Emperor (who liked to keep institutions thin in scope and, result, power).

I'm sure there's more stuff in my library Faraer but my mind's not in the research mode right now. Maybe later.

Faraer
4 March 2003, 11:54 AM
Of course, all this should be a chapter in the Rise of the Empire Era Sourcebook (which needs a more structured layout than the existing era sourcebooks because it's describing a galaxy over a much longer period of time). I'm vaguely afraid Wizards will publish a RotEES focusing on Episodes I-III and neglecting the fact that this era is 1000-0 BBY and represents the Republic as imagined by Lucas (whereas the Old Republic era is the Republic as imagined by the creators of Tales of the Jedi). There should be a separate Clone Wars/start of the Empire book.

Matt Richard
7 March 2003, 09:15 PM
Let us not forget the Loyalist Committee (Senatorial) which was set up after Palpatine got into power to find ways to preserve the Republic (many of the loylists would then turn into Imperialists when the proper time came).