PDA

View Full Version : They did it! Clone Wars is soon to be a show!!!!!!!

CaamasiJedi49
20 February 2003, 09:41 AM
Well, it has finally happened, Clone Wars will officially become a TV show. Go to http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2003/02/news20030220.html. Lets hope this will be awesome.

Caamasi Jedi49

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
20 February 2003, 09:48 AM
It's not really a 'show' as their length will be 2 to 3 minutes long. Meaning that there will be less than an hour's worth of material in the whole series. But hey, I'll take what I can get.

Talon Razor 'GM'
20 February 2003, 09:51 AM
How the heck can you have a carton 2-3 minutes long?

I'll miss it anyways, I don't have a TV.

:clonetpr: ??

CaamasiJedi49
20 February 2003, 09:56 AM
Its more like a collection of 2-3 minute shows( probably 20-30 minutes worth). But good point Frobi. I just got excited when I saw the article that I wasn't specific of the term "show." And sorry about not having a TV Talon.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
20 February 2003, 10:03 AM
What the article says will happen is that during a commerical break from Samari Jack or whatever a Star Wars: Clone Wars 2 to 3 minute 'episode' will play and that they have signed an agreement to do 20 of them.

I wouldn't worry to much about catching them on the Cartoon Network as I'm sure that they will sell a DVD with all of the 'shorts' on one disc.

Jedi_Staailis
20 February 2003, 11:27 AM
I have some pretty big reservations about the show. In fact, I think it's going to be a disaster. Here's a quote from Mr. Tartakovsky, who is in charge of this debacle (quote appears on starwars.com):

"The female warrior is Asajj Ventress, a deadly Dark Jedi armed with paired lightsabers bearing the distinctive curved handles of her mentor. "Ventress' whole backstory was written by Lucasfilm and Dark Horse Comics, but her role in here is that Count Dooku hires her like a new Jango Fett-type. She's sent as an assassin to kill Anakin. She's a really cool bald chick, and she's got great powers, and her and Anakin will have an amazing hardcore fight," says Tartakovsky."

And also:

"There's definite visual jokes. For example, we have one where the Republic ARC Troopers are blowing up a cannon, and instead of putting one piece of demolition on it, it's absolutely lined with bombs. So, it's kind of absurd and funny, since it wouldn't really happen like that, but it's still cool."

I think this cartoon show is going to take the Star Wars license and butcher it, making something that loses its ties to the mood and tone of the films. Now, I'll probably watch the series, and maybe it'll be good, but I'm not holding my breath.

dgswensen
20 February 2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Staailis
I think this cartoon show is going to take the Star Wars license and butcher it, making something that loses its ties to the mood and tone of the films. Now, I'll probably watch the series, and maybe it'll be good, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hey, that sounds like a particular prequel I once saw.
Sorry, just kidding.

Reverend Strone
20 February 2003, 01:01 PM
Wow. Good on them. I can imagine working out a lisence to do this with Lucasfilm would not have been easy.

Now we'll just have to wait and see the results...

Good to see Dermot Powers' unused Sith Lady design from the Art of AOTC taken up and put to good use too.

Codym
20 February 2003, 04:03 PM
I'm not too impressed by the art design, especially Asajj Ventress (her design in the Art book was so much more impressive,) but I'll wait and see, mostly because the Samurai Jack series is far better than its animation style would lead newcomers to believe. I wish the "episodes" were longer as well, as it doesn't sound like they'll be able to fit much plot or character developement in the proposed couple of minutes.

BTW Is it just me, or didn't some double saber wielding women with Dooku's curved handle design show up in Bounty Hunter?

cartographer
21 February 2003, 05:06 AM
I have some reservations about the whole thing, but I'll take something over nothing at all. Maybe if it does well, it will lead into something bigger down the road.

Faraer
21 February 2003, 06:02 AM
I've never seen Samurai Jack, but from what I can tell the mode of this isn't going to be any further away from Star Wars than the latterday grim and realistic Del Rey novels. I'm a big fan of short formats -- comics, short stories, poems, blipverts -- and if these guys are any good 3 minutes will be plenty.

Komari Vosa and Asajj Ventress (who'll first appear in Republic #52 in April -- no, actually Jedi -- Mace Windu late this month or early next) aren't the same design, and Haden Blackman will be keeping their personalities distinct.

Reverend Strone
23 February 2003, 10:16 AM
Guys, this isn't going to be the kind of show you look at for character development or serious plots. It's going to be fun and light-hearted by the looks. I think if we bear that in mind when watching it and try not to take it too seriously, it'll be very enjoyable.

Jedi Cahlwyn
23 February 2003, 11:41 AM
The show will probably be very enjoyable to watch (I mean heck, its Star Wars!) but I loathe that art style. Samurai Jack and the Power Puff Girls and all that crap. I hate it. (Just the animation style, I'm sure there is something redeeming about the shows...)

Comics and cartoons have left "realistic" animation behind and are using the bubblegum crap these days. I remember when the X-Men comics almost looked real. It was great. Then they switched to horrid art and it killed the feel.

Anywho... enough of me for today. :P

Reverend Strone
23 February 2003, 03:20 PM
It's a matter of opinion of course, so i'll offer an alternative take on the Samurai Jack style to that of Jedi Cahlwyn. The point about the trend towards cheap and nasty animation is correct, in my esteem, but I would submit that Samurai Jack is one of the few cartoons out there that has attempted to work within the confines of budget and time and still deliver a stylish product ( I haven't seen a Powder Puff Girls episode so I can't offer comment on them).

Most of the animation out there nowadays is pretty awful, with the emphasis on making as much as cheaply as possible. Realism takes time and money.

In Samurai Jack (and hopefully the new Clone wars show too) I think we have a show that understands its limitations and has designed a style around them while still delivering something that looks good. The problem is when you have a show that lazily tries to do traditional animation, but on the cheap and with very little design. Samurai Jack is anything but that.

Ultimately of course, it comes down to taste. Many folks just don't like that particular design or animation style- and that's fair enough. Is it right for Star Wars? I guess we'll find out, but I suspect it will once again come down to individual tastes.

Jedi Cahlwyn
25 February 2003, 08:48 AM
I think that they will be a fun thing to watch, I just meant that I wish it had more "realistic" animation as opposed to... what we see.

Oh and just to be perfectly clear I don't watch the Power Puff Girls (my nieces do, that's how I know what they look like). hehe I just wanted that clear.

Reverend Strone
25 February 2003, 12:21 PM
:D We read you loud and clear JC!:D

Needles
27 February 2003, 06:57 AM
I don't think this will butcher the license, just offer a different take that is all. Samurai jack is very entertaining, when you watch it it is easy to look past the animation style.

And heck, I'm old enough to have lived through the debacle of both the Ewoks and Droids cartoons, so I'm sure this will be tolerable at worst, but most likely very amusing.

Tramp
28 February 2003, 07:54 PM
Me personally, I can't wait for these episodes to come out. I don't really watch alot of Samurai Jack, I'm more of an Anime fan myself, I can see his style lending itself to Star Wars. As an aspiring cartoonist as well (I tend to draw in a somewhat realistic Anime style), I can understand the development of the different styles being developed in the industry today which run the gamut from extremely stylised to ultra-realistic. From what little I saw in the article, the style Mr. Tartikofski (I hope I spelled that right) is using falls somewhere in between. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm definately looking forward to it.:kenobi: :sabersml:

Reverend Strone
3 March 2003, 06:03 PM
Some more info on this series can be gleaned from this (http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/pulse.cgi?http%3A//www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi%3Fubb%3Dget_topic%26f%3D36%26t%3D000751) interview. Enjoy.

:clonetpr:

Bombaatu
4 March 2003, 08:33 PM
I like Genndy Tartakovsky, but I'll reserve judgement on whether the art works for Star Wars until I see the shorts. Now, if only they could have gotten the art team from "Batman: Mask of the Phantasm"... :D

Codym
5 March 2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Bombaatu
I like Genndy Tartakovsky, but I'll reserve judgement on whether the art works for Star Wars until I see the shorts. Now, if only they could have gotten the art team from "Batman: Mask of the Phantasm"... :D

Amen to that.

Admiral_Atredies
5 March 2003, 04:27 PM
Hey, I say what the heck? Star Wars and Lucasfilm have sold out so much I don't think that anything as small as this could ruin anything! I in fact think the show might be funny (who knows?), in that stupid, goofy kinda way.

Also, lets keep in mind, corny, stupid products have come out of Lucasfilm before, might I mention a certain trilogy of Ewok movies, two, count 'em TWO horrendous cartoons about droids and MORE Ewoks, and don't forget a certain, teeth-gnashing prequel series (only kidding, of course :) ).

I haven't seen Samurai Jack before, but maybe i'll watch it tonight, just to see what to expect, seeing as I have way too much time to kill. Sorry for rubbing it in to the guys with actuall work to do :).

Tramp
5 March 2003, 04:46 PM
Personally, I can't wait for it. Hopefully it'll lead to a series of full length cartoons, either based on the same subject, or even set in the days of the Ancient Old Republic or post NJO; who knows.

Admiral_Atredies
6 March 2003, 01:22 PM
Hey, Tramp , that lead me to thinking about that whole ancient Republic idea. Does anyone ese here besides me think that the Tales of the Jedi Era would make a great mini-series? Maybe even Steven Speilberg could direct it ( I hear he's been begging to do a SW forever). I personally think that the story line pesented in the comics would make a nice 4-6 hour mini-series.

Codym
6 March 2003, 01:30 PM
Erg. I don't think anyone, even Speilberg, could salvage anything decent out of that atrocity.

Reverend Strone
6 March 2003, 03:21 PM
Here's some more info from an interview with Tartakovsky that appeared in the SW Homing Beacon. TheForce.net posted this excert today:

"Clone Wars fits in my day here and there, as with everything else," he says. "Luckily ‘Samurai Jack’ is just ending up. I finished the last storyboard in December. So, slowly, Star Wars just took over. I'll still be doing post-production on ‘Samurai Jack’ until the very end of Star Wars, and we’ll be done Star Wars by late summer."
Many of the talents that helped mold "Samurai Jack" into the success that it is will be working on Clone Wars. "We're a pretty slim crew, because I wanted it to have more of a personal touch, so it doesn't get too huge," he says. "We have the Art Director Paul Rudish, who is doing all the main designs. The way he draws is the look of the show. We have Dave Dunnet, who is doing the background designs. Scott Wills, who is the background painter from ‘Samurai Jack.’ He's doing all the paintings. It's basically all the same people that did 'Jack,' except for a couple of new ones here and there. We have this guy from Oregon, Michel Gagne, and he's doing all the effects designs. I wanted all the effects to be really stylized and specific, so it feels more nurtured. He's going to design them all and animate a lot of them himself."

Tramp
6 March 2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Codym
Erg. I don't think anyone, even Speilberg, could salvage anything decent out of that atrocity.

I have to take exception to that, my friend. The TotJ series, from Golden Age of the Sith all the way through Redemption, was one of the best, most cohesive comic book stories ever written. I'd love to see it adapted into a group of mini-series for TV.

CaamasiJedi49
7 March 2003, 02:25 PM
I agree, the TotJ was one of the best comics I ever read, like as previously said, because of its cohesiveness. But, time will tell if such an occurance will ever happen

Caamasi Jedi49:plokoon: