PDA

View Full Version : Change of Staff

Nafai
26 February 2003, 01:01 PM
Well I've put this announcement off for long enough.
I regret that I must, but I have to resign as Managing Editor of the Online Journal. It's strictly a matter of time and of resources.

It's been fun working on it, and I hope to continue to contribute to the small features that I began. But my days as an editor have drawn to a close.

I'll let the current staff make any announcements regarding replacements.

Darklighter
27 February 2003, 07:05 PM
Nafai, I have to say this saddens me. Thank you for the time you took with me, and with the Journal, and I wish you the best, man.

evan hansen
27 February 2003, 07:17 PM
I must say that in my limited work with members of the Journal staff, Nafai has always been a big help -- courteous, knowledgable, and willing. However, through his departure, I've seen a bit of the Journal process at work, and these guys will continue to do a stellar job -- I'm sure of it. Best to Derek in that thing we call "life!"

Reverend Strone
27 February 2003, 07:32 PM
So he is human after all! I was beginning to wonder how the intrepid Nafai ever managed to fit eating and sleeping in around his incredibly busy schedule- what with SWAG, the OJ, SWRPGNetwork and having some semblance of a life.

From my experiences with Nafai in the running of SWAG and SWRPGNetwork, I know he'll be sorely missed by the OJ team. My condolences guys. You're loosing a real team player.

Nova Spice
27 February 2003, 07:57 PM
Whoa! Just stumbled upon this thread......I'm sorry to see you go Derek; I know it was a pretty big decision. At any rate, if this decision frees you up and takes some stress off your shoulders, then I suppose the appropriate response is "good for you."

However, I know that the OJ staff will feel a great loss, so that response just doesn't feel right. I suppose that the best thing to say, is "good luck in your future endeavors!"

In the mean time, relax and enjoy a breath of fresh air! :D

:artoo: :yoda:

Nafai
27 February 2003, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the kind words, gang, but I'm far from "out of the fire" so to speak in regards to time.

There's no reason to go into it here, but basically what happened is that I had a lot of time that I was free to use at work, because I work so quickly. My supervisor got in trouble for goofing off online instead of working, so the boss--with sales declining--decided that the internet was a good thing for him to blame. I emphasize that I never did any of these three tasks in place of work. Work always came first.

I had up until now simply enjoyed a freedom of time and access that I no longer have. I am married and to attempt to keep all of these activities running at once and having a good home life are zilch. So I eliminated the one that came last chronologically. SWAG is my first and most important priority. Then I started doing random tasks for Moridin. Then I swung the OJ position.

Since I am merely an assistant to Rigil here, and cannot give up SWAG, that left the OJ.

I will still do the Star Side, if enough people think it is funny, and thankfully, all of the OJ staff is kind enough to continue to desire my input, so, wherever time my swing in my favor, I'll still be able to help out.

Thanks again. I'm all fuzzy. ;)

hisham
27 February 2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Nafai
Thanks again. I'm all fuzzy. ;)

Do you mean like a busted TV or an Ewok, bro? ;)

scottyboy
28 February 2003, 05:46 AM
I can't even really put into words how much <b>Nafai</b> is going to be missed. Not only by the rest of the OJ staff, but by me personally. He has been the single most helpful person to me in my efforts to do the best I can do for the community. I sincerely hope that whenever I have another one of my "infamous" stupid questions, he will still be willing to lend a hand like he always has in the past.

Man, you know me! I did the best I could to try and get you to stay. But in the end, I have to admit my understanding of your reasons for leaving. I live quite a busy life as well. Not nearly as busy as yours is, but that just makes my point even more clear to me. I have a hard time balancing everything together sometimes. With all that you do, I think that my shoulders would probably break! You'll be sorely missed my friend. But, it has completely been MY pleasure to have met and worked with a person like you! You're the best man!

BRodgers
28 February 2003, 09:21 AM
Well I'm GLAD he's gone!

If I had to listen to his whining and crying for one more minute I was going to quit myself!

:D

I'm joking of course.

I don't think there is any argument that Nafai has been instrumental in breathing new life back into the SWRPG community. The fact of the matter is, many of the current sites and projects we all enjoy on a daily basis are around in no small part because of him.

While we have a great OJ staff and the publication will continue to grow and prosper, it is only becsause of the hard work and dedication Nafai demonstrated in it's formative period.

He's part teacher, part artist, part dreamer and full time friend. I count myself lucky to have met him and can't stress his importance to this community enough.

I would wish him luck in his future endeavors, but he really doesnt need it...his talent and vision are going to ensure his success.

AxiustheDark
6 March 2003, 06:52 AM
Seeing Nafai go is almost like a shot in the arm. His monumental efforts have gone a very long way into creating the incarnation of the Online Journal that you see today and will continue to see in the future. Issue 1 and 2 of the Journal are swelling with his creations, and Issue 3 and beyond will be no different.

Nafai helped set up our current staff and proccesses. He did a large portion of the design work, work which set the "tone" for the professional and creative look of today's Journal. He wrote articles, pieced them together and even found time to do artwork. I feel it is very safe to say that he meant just as much, or more, to the Journal staff as I do or did.

Luckily for us at the Journal, we will still see Nafai from time to time. From his input, to his work with features such as the Star Side comic, his voice will always be welcome in our humble production. Nafai, thanks for all of your hard work.

When Nafai told us he would have to set his duties at the Journal down, BRodgers and I had our work cut out for us finding a replacement. I personally, steeled myself for a long search. However, the first candidate we looked at turned out to be our choice for Managing Editor. Scott Beaver, known to some of you as Scottyboy, was that choice.

Scott has been an Editor on staff for several months now. During that time he has clamored for more responsibilty, and always put forth whatever was needed in all the steps it takes to get the Journal to you. I feel, that with the work set-up by Nafai, Scott will be nothing but a major asset to the Journal staff as a whole.

In other news, Issue 3 is almost completed. It looks to be the best Issue of the Online Journal yet. Look inside it to find new optional D6 Rules, everything you need to know on Shockboxing, the continuing storyline of Donovan Morningfire's Cadences and much more.

If you haven't already subscribed to the Journal, send an email to journal@starwars-rpg.net with the topic Subscribe Me.

proxima centauri
6 March 2003, 09:26 AM
Just a quick question:

What does "a shot in the arm" means for you?

In Canada, it is used extensively with the meaning of "boosting".

so a shot in the arm boosts.

From the context, I understand that is not the case, I just want to understand what your definition of it is.

It confuses me! ;)

Ardent
6 March 2003, 10:42 AM
A significant percentage of Americans have a fear of needles (and/or injections) because of all the painful shots you get as a kid old enough to remember them. I suspect that was the meaning Axius intended to convey. Or he meant punch when he said "shot," also possible. The point was it was painful and jarring. :)

Congratulations btw, Scott. I'm still working on the campaign vehicle. I've been caught up writing fiction lately...and creating skins for video games and other time-wasteful stuff.

Nafai
6 March 2003, 10:54 AM
He's in the Navy, so I'm guessing he meant a gun shot. A painful, irritating, and possibliy debilitating injury, but not a deathstroke by any means.

or he just said that me leaving was just the boost the OJ needed to keep going! ;)

proxima centauri
6 March 2003, 08:42 PM
I was just curious on what meaning this phrase had in different parts of the world, english not being my first language, I felt I had the right to ask this question ;)

Wishing you the best , Nafai.

Darklighter
7 March 2003, 11:14 PM
Hey, congratulations, Scottyboy! You deserve it, man. I know the kind of hard work you've been putting in. Way to go! :)