PDA

View Full Version : Many Bothans...

Korpil
4 March 2003, 04:42 AM
I was wondering and could not remember off the top of my head, but...

where is the story behind all that "many :bothan: bothans died to bring us that information" line?

Can't remember reading it on a novel, and since I'm not a comic expert, I don't know if that has been told anywhere.

Jim Williams
4 March 2003, 04:56 AM
"Shadows of the Empire" by Perry.

SPOILER************

The primary cause of Bothan casualties was from their Y-wing attack on a transport bearing Palpatine's bait. The heavy armament inflicted high casualties on thier squadron. The leader also died later when Bounty Hunters arrived to apprehend Luke (shooting practically everyone else there). Been a long time, but I think that is right...

coldskier0320
4 March 2003, 05:26 AM
Yeah, word to that, Jim, they attacked theSuprosa b/c thats where the DS2 plans were. In the N64 game, Dash Rendar gets the plans but the Bothans were right there in the middle of it, go Bothans!

Korpil
4 March 2003, 05:49 AM
Darn!
I was undecised between picking SOTE or "I, Jedi" for reading today, and I chose "I, Jedi"...

Rogue Janson
4 March 2003, 06:01 AM
Mon Mothma: "Many Bothans died to bring us this information"
Insubordinate Rebel: "How many?!"
Mon Mothma: "About 20"

Korpil
4 March 2003, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Rogue Janson
Mon Mothma: "Many Bothans died to bring us this information"
Insubordinate Rebel: "How many?!"
Mon Mothma: "About 20"

Insubordinate Rebel 2: "That few????? Hmmm... can't you tell them to look if there are other copies of the Death Star 2 plans? We could use a back up!"

Ardent
4 March 2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Korpil
I was undecised between picking SOTE or "I, Jedi" for reading today, and I chose "I, Jedi"...

You made the right choice. Shadows of the Empire is an interesting interlude piece, but I, Jedi is a literary classic of epic proportions. Even my dad enjoyed it immensely (incidentally, he's a psycho-analyst professionally), although I had to explain the concepts behind the Jedi Code and the Force to him.

He's also a big fan of R.A. Salvatore's work, and I can't fault him there either. Except for the creases he put into my pristine spines. :x

coldskier0320
4 March 2003, 09:25 AM
Well, the spines of my modest EU collection are riddled with creases. Although no pages are torn or anything of that sort, even the semi-dense will realize that they have been extensively used. I love my Star Wars, what can I say?:D

Faraer
4 March 2003, 11:42 AM
I always wondered whether the EU people had knowledge that George Lucas meant "Bothan" as a species, or if they just decided.

Codym
4 March 2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Faraer
I always wondered whether the EU people had knowledge that George Lucas meant "Bothan" as a species, or if they just decided.

A friend of mine once told me that he had seen a magazine, around the time of ROTJ's release, that identified Palpatine's advisors as Bothans. I myself never saw that magazine, so I don't know how correct his statement is, but it does make you wonder.

As for that line, "Many Bothan etc...", play X-Wing Alliance. It includes the Dash Rendar/Luke Skywalker mission, but many of the subsequent efforts by the Bothans to get the plans to high command (and your efforts to help them succeed.) The number of Bothans that have been killed by the end of that campaign adds gravitity to the words spoken, and is one of the few times I actually use one of the video games as an ingame reference. :bothan:

Korpil
4 March 2003, 11:53 AM
Who knows... I think a species was what GL intended... but it could've been a Rebel Group... "The Bothan Undercover team" or something like that.... maybe then a Bothan would've been a sneaky animal, like a cat..

Ardent
4 March 2003, 03:17 PM
Well, Jabba the Hutt was originally just a corpulent human (Hutt being a familial name), so it's hard to say he DIDN'T intend for Bothans to be human (or near-human as it were). However, the implication is lost and Bothans are firmly rooted in Star Wars mythos as predatory politicians and spies.

Needles
5 March 2003, 06:14 AM
Just a funny side story that's related here:
When we first started to play the D20 system, the guy running it was pretty notorious for being a bit obnoxious and wrecking a GM's storylines. Well, he decided to start the game before the Holy trilogy. My friend decided to get back at him by playing a Human Slicer who's alias was Manny Bothans. His goal was to get to the DS2 plans first, then fake his Death while getting the info to the rebels, just to bring a personal joke and new meaning to the "Many Bothan's" line from Mon Mothma.
Sadly the campaign ended before he got the chance to. But to this day that scene in the movie still gets a few chuckles from us.

Jedi Cahlwyn
5 March 2003, 04:04 PM
Yeah Mike Stackpole is AWESOME. I really loved I, Jedi. It was really quite innovative and fresh. I also liked that Mr. Stackpole incorporated a character into Mr. Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy books seamlessly. I kept going back to KJA's books to see if Corran Horn was really there.

Have you read the X-wing novels? They are AWESOME.

Pel
5 March 2003, 04:32 PM
The Bothans' "heroic sacrifice" to obtain the 2nd Death Star plans was the most over-milked excuse to seize Galactic Power in the history of the SW franchise. Never mind that Palpatine allowed the Bothans to be unwitting dupes in his nefarious plan to trap the Rebellion, or that he just slaughtered a bunch of the strike team to make it look good. In my humble opinion, Borsk Fey'lya finally got what he deserved at the hands of the Yuuzhan Vong.

Now, with the bit of ranting done:

I, Jedi was a vastly superior book, and is one of my favorites of the Stackpole series. :tarkin:

LanLarado
21 March 2003, 01:03 PM
I realy liked the book I, Jedi but I think the best book was the Bacta War by Michael Stackpole. It gave not only starship battles, but ground combat as well.

Back to the Bothans thing: I think that they have used the one fact that they were the unwitting pawns of the Empire to make their bid for power in the New Republic.

Of course, as an Imperial Officer I do not acknowledge the New Republic as an established government but as the Rebellion still!
:ds1:

Crymoon
1 April 2003, 07:13 AM
Originaly posted by Jim Williams

The primary cause of Bothan casualties was from their Y-wing attack on a transport bearing Palpatine's bait. The heavy armament inflicted high casualties on thier squadron. The leader also died later when Bounty Hunters arrived to apprehend Luke (shooting practically everyone else there). Been a long time, but I think that is right...

Yes it is. I've just finished reading that book again.

originaly posted by Korpil

where is the story behind all that "many bothans died to bring us that information" line?

after we imagine what happened in the Shadows of the Empire as the begining of the road that that encoded information had to travel from Bothans to Leia it's also porbable that more died later on.

And what is many for Mon Mothma can be just a crumble for some Dark Lords out there :emperor: :vader:

In fact, Zahn is the writer who took a single line from Return of the Jedi………."Many Bothans died to get us this information"……..and established an entire species personality and "raison d'etre" for the Bothans. - I found that information on one of the web pages... so I think you have fuul info together...

Where did it came from - RoJ
What does it mean - Shadows of the Empire...
Who wrote that post - nevermind he's sick...