PDA

View Full Version : Factions in the Galactic Senate

Faraer
10 March 2003, 10:23 AM
We know quite a bit about political factions in the Republic. Here's a starting point.

The ultracapitalist faction includes such worlds as Aargau, Corellia, Corulag, Fondor, Kuat (up to 33 BBY), Muunilinst, Ryloth, Sluis Van. The commerce guilds have been prominent in it since a few centuries BBY; the Trade Federation has had senatorial representation since 100 BBY and the Corporate Alliance obtained a senator some time after that. This group has its own rivalries, but is united on many issues.

There's long been at least a little tension between Core Worlds (Coruscant, Alderaan, Corellia, Ringali Shell planets) and Rim worlds; and between humans and aliens. See Cloak of Deception.

Some senators favour more central government, some less. This isn't the same division as Core vs Rim, since some Rim worlds want more involvement from Coruscant, some more autonomy.

The militarist faction that favours a central military has existed for quite a while, possibly continually. As of 44 BBY it was led by Ranulph Tarkin; it has support from Anaxes, Eriadu, Iseno, Malastare, Rodia...

Worlds that strongly support the peaceful ideals of the Republic include Alderaan, Caamas, Chalacta, Chandrila, Gravlex Med, Ithor, Kashyyyk, Mon Calamari. Circa 100 BBY the corruption really sets in and corrupt senators are opposed by idealists.

There may be a few more major lines of division, and there are certainly voting blocs, criminal influences, and sector and planetary alliances such as the Malarian Alliance and Keitumite Mutual Military Treaty (The Approaching Storm).

In general, up to its last decades the Senate functions pretty well, and to a greater or lesser extent these factional divisions are latent rather than overt. I'd especially be very careful drawing any analogies with American, European, or global politics of Earth.

Ronen Tal-Ravis
1 April 2003, 02:41 PM
Actually I do not think there are real factions in the senate. Lacking a party system, I guess at least the factions shift very immensely because the head of any issue has to convince each senator to follow the lead.

Faraer
2 April 2003, 06:31 AM
To a point, but these aren't all organized or stable groups; I didn't make any of this up, though, it's all from existing sources.