PDA

View Full Version : How Important is Continuity for you?

mojo1701
10 March 2003, 06:50 PM
How important is continuity for you? Be it anything, from Star Wars to Star Trek, is continuity that important to you?

Darth_Cassed
10 March 2003, 07:38 PM
I dont think it's all that important. People make house rules, making the game their own, is this not the same?

mojo1701
10 March 2003, 07:41 PM
I probably should clarify this:

I mean in stories, not games. Like in continuing episodes of Star Trek, for example, or events in the NJO.

Darth_Cassed
10 March 2003, 07:45 PM
lol oops im sorry! :rolleyes:

I think events should be maintained, as should continuity. "The death star has been blown up sir!" reported a soldier on the ISD Annihaltor.

5 years later

"Fire the death star!"

No, I'm sorry, this isn't Infinities

Darth_Cassed
10 March 2003, 07:47 PM
ok...and now my vote sticks...there a way to change it now that I know what this forum is about??

Grimace
10 March 2003, 08:26 PM
I voted that "it helps." Not only does it help with the people who are trying to follow it, but it also helps if you ever talk to others about it (whatever "it" is). Continuity helps prevent a lot of ambiguity.

Darth Cassed, let me know what you want, and what you voted for, and I'll change it.

Tramp
11 March 2003, 03:45 PM
Personally, I find continuity to be very important, especially in a genre such as Sci-fi/fantasy. Without it, you lose all suspension of disbelief which in return destroys the story.

Talonne Hauk
11 March 2003, 04:40 PM
With Star Wars, I find it's not that important, because Lucas has made it so. It bothers me that Lucas has gone and licensed products, made money from them, and now completely disregards it whenever he writes a story, but forces continuity on every other author he licenses. It begs the question; continuity with everything else he's licensed, or just the movies?

Kas'ir Faywind
11 March 2003, 04:51 PM
It's the setting nothing more. The major NPC's are there and if I need them I use them. I have used 2 major NPC's from Star Wars as active characters in my campaigns. I perfer to generate my own story lines even if it varies form the actual story-line, because well it ends up being more fun for everyone in the group and thats all that matters.

Darth_Cassed
11 March 2003, 05:27 PM
I voted for "No, not really." but i want YES!! the very top one!! thanx!

even sith lords screw up...

Grimace
11 March 2003, 06:47 PM
Righto...you're all fixed now. :)

Darth Fury
11 March 2003, 07:07 PM
I think without any continuity all you have is a collection of unrelated characters and events sharing similar backdrops. That does not make for interesting story telling IMO.

proxima centauri
11 March 2003, 07:12 PM
Since I'm not a huge fan of the SW novels I say it helps to have continuity with the movies. Most of my players know SW mainly from the movies, with a few having read 2 or 3 novels, top. So as long as you keep the big idea, the big scheme, big events in place, I think nobody clinges if something different happens in my game than in one of the novels.

We're there to have fun, it's not like we're actually writing a novel ourselves. right?

Sil7
11 March 2003, 07:31 PM
I certainly think continuity is very important. In the case of a movie it allows you to tell your story and get whatever point you are trying to make across. The same in campaigns. the GM carries over his rulings, and his story from one session to another to build a sucessful campaign.

However, I also think continuity in not very important. When building a campaign, the GM may choose what in continuity he wishes to use, or not use, or change altogether. The established continuity may get in the way of what he wishes to do, so he changes it. The established continuity may also get in the way of fun, and that's not good either.

So in reality I think continuity is helpful. In any certain situation it may be vital or not at all, depending on the circumstances. But in the vast majority of cases, I think continuity is very helpful. It allows whatever the authors point is to be made, and prevents confusion, even if situations may arise when it needs to be changed.

So my vote goes to "it helps". This is simply my humble opinion.

Sil7

Prometheus
13 March 2003, 11:41 AM
Being a big fan of the Novels and of course movies I have to say I am a large fan of Continuity. Having all those sources and events gives great background to run adventures in and establishes the major political and social feeling of the galaxy.

farr0095
13 March 2003, 12:23 PM
/Rant on

Maybe it has to do with me being an engineer or in the military, but it really drives me nuts when continuity falls apart. That is probably the biggest reason why Courtship of Princess Leia is my least favorite book of the Star Wars series. I mean, even though it grates my nerves that continuity can be destroyed by writing something that has more authority after other works have been published (ie, GL writing the Prequels after all the EU material), but it really gets my goat when the material is just not researched or just ignored by authors.

Now, I understand in our games that we are playing in the EU or Infinities. Sure, I can allow that, and even enjoy it. But for me, continuity has to flow.

/Rant off