PDA

View Full Version : NEW Search Tool!!!

evan hansen
11 March 2003, 07:22 PM
Starwars-rpg.net is proud to present a new tool for searching the web for SWRPG items.

SW:RPG Site Search is a new offering that allows community members to add their own website to a database of SW:RPG websites. Roughly once every week, we'll re-index every site in the database (including the new ones) and people can search them. That's right -- you can do a search and know that you'll ONLY get results from SW:RPG webpages.

Head over to www.starwars-rpg.net and check it out!

evan hansen
11 March 2003, 07:33 PM
Quick note on this!

For testing purposes, I used DLOS. And I'm currently repopulating the DB with about 5 other starwars-rpg.net hosted sites. So expect skewed results for the first week or so until a lot of sites make their way into the system.

Ultimately, though, this will be an exceptionally powerful tool!

Chris Curtis
11 March 2003, 08:24 PM
Fantastic news, Evan! I've been eagerly waiting for you to release this for quite some time, so it's great to see it go live. Er... beta, anyway. [grin]

Give this a little time to get more sites added and get a little polish to it and I think it will be a tremendous resource for the community!

evan hansen
12 March 2003, 03:50 AM
I agree entirely, Chris. I should note that this effort wouldn't have gone anywhere without Chris (gee...sounds like just about everything else in the SW:RPG community, doesn't it? *grin*). He's the man behind the plan. :-)

Additionally, I'm trying to index some other sites (we got a few in the queue last night) right now. I'm running it as a background process on the server, so I'll check up on it periodically throughout the day to see how it's going -- because right now, DLOS is the only site indexed. *chuckle* I just couldn't stand to NOT release it as long as it seemed like the technology itself was working. So bear with me, folks, as we get this thing up to speed.

Anyhow, I'm rambling... I'm pretty excited about this. I think, as Chris said, it'll be a great resource for folks once it gets started.

Korpil
12 March 2003, 04:00 AM
Pretty cool idea guys!

I just submitted my site! :D

OverLord
12 March 2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by evan hansen
because right now, DLOS is the only site indexed.Hey, that works for me! :D

Seriously I think it's a great tool and will be used a lot.

Keep up the good work http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Nafai
12 March 2003, 05:21 AM
Great idea, and great job, gang!

Quick question: you mention that you review a site before it gets indexed. What type of sites can we expect you to *not* have indexed?

Chris Curtis
12 March 2003, 06:48 AM
> you mention that you review a site before it gets indexed. What type of sites can we expect you to *not* have indexed?

Evan can, of course, answer for sure. My guess, though, would be that it'll be a check to see that (1) it really is a SWRPG site and that (2) it actually has content on it that's worth indexing.

> I should note that this effort wouldn't have gone anywhere without Chris

Hey, all I did was propose the idea. The research, effort, and implementation are all Evan! He's definitely the one who gets the kudos here!

evan hansen
12 March 2003, 07:37 AM
Chris is right... Basically, the only criteria for a site is that it has to be appropriate (starwars-rpg.net has never supported non-PG-13 material), worth indexing (chances are that if the reviewed sites would give it less than a 1, it isn't going to be indexed), and, of course, it just has to do with SW:RPG.

It would seem that, naturally, something is wrong with the indexing software right now. I'm working on fixing it... It was working last night. I swear! :-)

Nafai
12 March 2003, 07:42 AM
LOL, it was the underpants gnomes.

That was my guess as far as content, I just wasn't sure if there was any further discrimination of quality of content than what has been demonstrated already. (which is as perfect as one can expect.)

evan hansen
12 March 2003, 10:54 AM
Great news! I got things running again. :D

So add your sites, folks!!! And search them too. Right now, a number of sites are in there including DLOS, Arraknor Station, Raptor Squad, Servais Sector, and the SWRPG Index.

And there will only be more the more often you add your sites!

Korpil
12 March 2003, 11:17 AM
Can we submit other person's sites? there are a lot of old and unattended sites worth reviewing, I found an index for D6 stats! It hasn't been updated since 2000 but it's worth a look!

evan hansen
12 March 2003, 12:08 PM
Sure thing. Submit whatever you'd like. I'll end up looking at whatever it is, of course, but yes. Try to not submit sites where the owner is obviously still around (eg, don't submit Servais Sector) because then I have to check to make sure I'm not putting in duplicates (which is accounted for in the indexing...but still, it'd be poor form on my part)

Sherman Shipyards
12 March 2003, 11:27 PM
ShermanShipyards.com (http://www.shermanshipyards.com) would be most honored to be on SW:RPG Site Search.

Looks like it will be a great tool. Bravo.

Deano
13 March 2003, 10:37 AM
Great resource! Good work!

Deano