PDA

View Full Version : Should SWRPGNetwork increase alloted Upload filesize to 1.44 meg?

Greystar
12 March 2003, 11:51 PM
Should SWRPGNetwork increase alloted Upload filesize to 1.44 meg?

VixenofVenus
13 March 2003, 06:20 AM
Sorry, I voted no because I run a small messageboard myself and I know how huge it could quickly get if all my players started sending in 1 Meg files for download by the other players.

I think you should just be thankful they let you attach files at all. Especially when it really isn't that hard to get a free website and host the file there.

Korpil
13 March 2003, 06:46 AM
I agree, besides what would you submit that can be that huge?
You'd better list the original URL and that's it!

Most attachments I've seen here are text or Word documents for prestige classes or such. Or art/drawings which with good JPG compression should not be greater than 200k

Chris Curtis
13 March 2003, 06:59 AM
Throwing in my support of the "no" crowd.

Running a site with as much traffic as SWRPGNetwork gets is not cheap. And despite what people think, bandwidth is very expensive. If 100 people download a 1MB file, then that's 100MB of bandwidth right there; not an insignificant amount.

Be kind to this service you're getting for free and don't abuse it. As Venus stated, it's easy to get yourself some free hosting so that you can put the file on your own server and just link to it.

Ravager_of_worlds
13 March 2003, 09:27 AM
voted 'no'

btw Vixen, which free web sites allow one to upload any zip files? most freebies i've seen are jpeg, gif, tiff and text only. it costs a minimum bucks to FTP a PDF to a site.

Chris Curtis
13 March 2003, 09:43 AM
Geocities, Tripod, and tons of other free hosts will allow you to upload a wide variety of file types. Of course, you'll no doubt get lots of ads, limited space, limited bandwidth, etc. since it's free, but it should work fine as a way to store files.

Greystar
13 March 2003, 09:51 AM
I host my own website, but i was offering a file to help players and gms alike that is the only reason.

Korpil
13 March 2003, 10:18 AM
And what kind of file?
If you can have it in your own website, just post the URL here
If you can't, maybe you can submit it for consideration so it appears here on the Submission part of the SWRPG Network.

Greystar
13 March 2003, 11:13 AM
I posted it under my other Non-Poll thread. search for Scale Calculator. Or the below link for my other thread.

http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=127212#post127212

Sabre
13 March 2003, 12:45 PM
I voted no for bandwidth considerations as well. But like people have said, you can post a link directly to the file on your own corner of the web, or to the page that contains the file if you feel like getting some publicity for your site.

Nafai
13 March 2003, 12:47 PM
Greystar, if you already had your own webspace, why did you want to also upload it here?

No offense, but it just sounds a bit discourteous, and completely redundant.

Greystar
13 March 2003, 01:11 PM
Because my website is for my mud and my mud players complained when I had stuff not mud related on the site at one time. I was not trying to be annoying or anything. But I figured instead of making everyone go to my website to download it, I'd just upload it here. Sorry if I came off wrong that was not my intention. and a fileuploadsize increase of 400k is not all that much. Although I didnt take into consideration that most people may not have a fast internet connection. I was also trying to see how many downloads it got , like my character sheet I uploaded last I checked got 40 downloads. Its mostly my curiosity. I dont have any site meters to track the downloads or hit counters to see how many people have been to my page. And some people who just go to my page have problems with the Java on it. Sorry all. This site is great otherwise and I have gotten Alot of Resources from it.

Nafai
13 March 2003, 01:34 PM
I can understand wanting to track it. You can get free stat tracking information (DETAILED!!) from stats4all.com (http://stats4all.com/).

[fixed URL after dgswenson's quick eye caught my foible. Curse you, dgswenson!]

dgswensen
13 March 2003, 01:49 PM
Actually, no you can't.

I think you mean stats4all.com (http://www.stats4all.com/asp/index.asp) :)

Nafai
13 March 2003, 02:20 PM
word

Armage Bedar
14 March 2003, 04:22 AM
FWIW, the attachment size cap is at one megabyte, which, IMHO, is much more than most people need. I rarely expect to see files hit that cap -- maybe the occasional PDF sourcebook by someone, but not most things.

If you have something really large you want to post, and you don't have room, email staff@swrpgnetwork.com and we can look into uploading it for FTP download for you.

So, we have no intention of changing the cap. With that, the thread is closed.