PDA

View Full Version : Using Technology in the game

Boca Jantho
16 March 2003, 05:22 AM
Hey

We just started using a new tool in the game and I wanted to share it as an idea and see if any one else had tried it or any other ideas.

Bob and I talked about giving our game a more Star Wars feel. HIs idea was instead of character handouts, maps and hanging art of NPC's was to burn it onto a CD and give that to the player. Then have a laptop handy load the disc and away you go.

Well we used this disk in the last game session and man was it great. I was able to pull up my maps, open pictures and let everyone see the images. It really added a technology feel to the game. I am even planning on developing some discs ahead of time and giving them to the players concerning future adventures. Bounty information, installation layouts, and whatever you could imagine. The sky is the limit.

I'd like to hear what anyone thinks or if you have tried somethign similar in your game.

Thanks

Tony

BRodgers
17 March 2003, 04:41 AM
As Tony mentioned, I think it worked out extremely well.

I know some of the folks on the board will use laptops to run random generators and stuff. I've used my laptop before to actually run an entire game (on those reare occasions I actually GM'ed).

What are some other peoples thoughts on how technology has changed RPG'ing. Good? Bad? Do you miss the old days when you had to dig through a lot of books or had to imitate the growl of a creature intead of just downloading a soundbyte?

elfgirl1973
17 March 2003, 06:53 AM
I thought that our game went very well and I liked the use of the laptop for the pics. We always have our laptop handy since we keep the team's inventory of weapons and such stored on it. And we have a Star Wars screensaver running on it that looks like a computer display complete with sound effects. Adds a little to the background flavor. I think it will be even cooler when Tony starts handing out disks to players to review between games. That kind of thing can really help you get into your character and form some ideas of what you want to do with him/her in future games. I've alway thought it would be cool if little soundbytes were injected from time to time while playing. The roar of some alien creature, the beeps and whistles of some droid you can't understand, and how would your players dirty their laundry when you played a soundbyte from JAWS whilst your players are in a water-type setting ("What's the matter fellas, you seem a little tense?").

Nova Spice
17 March 2003, 09:37 AM
Well, I'm actually trying to incorporate some technology into my NJO campaign. I've added cartographer's site ( www.nav-computer.com ) to my Favorites list and have been using it as a map to chart the invasion of the Yuuzhan Vong.

I haven't thought about creating a file of images as a backup copy for the campaign. Pretty good idea IMO.

Crymoon
2 April 2003, 04:49 AM
I've been using computers for most of my sci-fi game mastering. It allows for a quicker access to all the data: PCs, NPCs, maps, handouts, music or rather sounds.... Even the dice roller... I'm just hidden behind the screen (a real game master screen - 17" ) and nobody knows why i'm clicking.. if it's a roll or just a new map for players to see.

A laptop would be better... but if you don't have what you want you have to be happy with what you've got.

Boca Jantho
8 April 2003, 03:23 PM
Hey thanks for your reply. That does sound like makes things more handy. We do have a laptop available and I think I will try to make more use of it.

Thanks.

Tony