PDA

View Full Version : Vong use of Force in Destiny's Way??

Iain Kysler, Jedi Apprentice
20 March 2003, 08:59 AM
Alright. I reread it an noticed something, (I now own every book in the NJO series...he he!). Supreme Overlord Shimmra seems almost as though he was using the Force or something when he was talking to Nom Anor. Anybody notice that? It was said that Nom Anor stuggled to breathe, and could FEEL the Overlord's presence in his head. Sound familiar? Force Grip or messing with somebody's head.

Anybody think this is leading to a Vong use of the Force, maybe in a different 'frequency' or 'aspect'?

The lambents, I think, might be the key. Some kind of telepathic energy. And Jacen Solo can now touch them through, if not the Force, then something quite a bit like it.

Comments?

Oh, one more thing...anybody think that Valin Horn would be out in the field now? Anakin went out when he was pretty young, and I definately think Valin would be a cool character to come back...anybody got his stats or can I gin some up?

Kanner Ra'an
20 March 2003, 12:41 PM
I did notice what you were describing. If Jacen can use the force on the vong then its entirely possible that they can use their own "Vongforce" as well. The only thing is this must be incredibly rare as the Vong seem to have no knowledge of the force until they started scouting the galaxy. May'be Shimraa's bloodline is one of the Vongforce, like the Skywalkers, and thats why he is Supreame Overlord.

Ardent
20 March 2003, 05:42 PM
Nova and I chatted on this briefly, but decided there wasn't nearly enough information to make an accurate judgement. Best speculation is that Shimrra may be the Vong equivalent of Force-Sensitive, but likely hasn't honed it beyond radiating malevolence...which anyone with enough power and prestige can do, frankly.

Valin would be...um...8 at this point I think. Maybe it's 10. Can't remember. Also account for Booster Terrik being his grandfather, and Mirax his mother, and you'll be drawing a fairly clear picture of why he's not out in the field yet. ;)

Tramp
20 March 2003, 07:49 PM
Valen Horn was twelve in Dark Tide Onslaught. He shold be around the age of fifteen by Remnant.

Vreel Kudarin
23 March 2003, 09:07 AM
I agree with Ardent when he says we haven't had much evidence for this instance being some form of Force-use, but certainly I think that's the impression that was meant to have been given. Personally that's the way I think the NJO plot is going - the Vong existing on some level of the Force or in some other energy field. This concept did used to severely p*** me off more, almost as much as the good old midichlorians used to, in that for me it totally belittles the classic concept of the Force; but I guess I've come to accept it more. And I have REALLY enjoyed the NJO series. I wonder if we'll see a Skywalker vs. Shimraa showdown, or whether the Vong will just be shattered by the actions of Jacen's friend on Yuuzhan'tar?

Kanner Ra'an
1 April 2003, 05:37 PM
This concept did used to severely p*** me off more, almost as much as the good old midichlorians used to, in that for me it totally belittles the classic concept of the Force; but I guess I've come to accept it more.

I acctually dont mind this new idea of different wavelengths of the fore. I think anything that expands on the ideas of the force but doesn't involve a Jacen Solo philosophy class is a good thing.

Nova Spice
4 April 2003, 03:20 PM
As Ardent mentioned, the two of us discussed the possibility of Shimrra being a Force user. We both came to the conclusion that he is the equivalent of a "Force-Sensitive" character (much like Danni Quee). I doubt he even knows what he's doing (ala giving Nom Anor an uneasy feeling on Yuuzhan'tar) and is more than likely, subconsciously radiating his feelings outward through the "Force."

And I might mention that as of Force Heretic I: Remnant, Valin Horn would be close to fourteen years of age (as he was eleven during Dark Tide I: Onslaught). ;)

Dan Kyrinov
5 April 2003, 03:28 PM
To present an alternate theory, I do not believe the Force has anything to do with it. Jacen says his 'Vongsense' is distinct from the Force. should they actually be 'different wavelengths' of the same thing, fine, but I don't think Shimrra is using the Force as we know it. I believe that Shimrra has been engineered to include some of the same capabilities as yammosks or dhuryams. The man is nine feet tall and has a great deal of implants, implying that his powers may be implanted or even genetic (his predecessor had access to the seven cortexes and could have instructed shapers to perform early-in-life genetic engineering on a sucessor.) Think about it, is the power Shimrra displays really very different from the influence yammosks exterted on Miko Reglia and Wurth Skidder? I think Shimrra has no Force powers but has merely got a little yammosk blood in him.