PDA

View Full Version : clone ranks?

Its2bad4u
25 March 2003, 04:50 PM
Do we have any idea what colors mean what ranks? Its been a bit since ive seen AOTC, and the ARC troopers from the comic having blue bits to their uniform really doesn't tell me much.

Durian Keldrona
25 March 2003, 06:42 PM
it is actually answered on the Jedi Council on starwars.com

I will look for it

Durian Keldrona
25 March 2003, 08:10 PM
here it is as promised

http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/jocasta/askjc20020528.html

Its2bad4u
25 March 2003, 08:35 PM
you're my hero :P
many thanks

Durian Keldrona
25 March 2003, 08:52 PM
no prob your welcome

Durian Keldrona
25 March 2003, 09:05 PM
might be useful too

http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/clonetroopers/eu.html

JudroBathens
26 March 2003, 02:52 AM
Whoopsie. Double-post.

JudroBathens
26 March 2003, 02:53 AM
Here's the answer from the JC, quoted here for purposes of further discussion...

It is indeed an indication of rank. Yellow markings indicate a commander. Red clone troopers are captains, blue are lieutenants and green are sergeants.

A little more speculation on my part: the color-codes could possibly indicate groupings of ranks rather than merely specific ranks. Perhaps the system might break down like this:

Yellow = command/field-grade officers (Colonel, Lt. Colonel)
Red = company-grade officers (Captain, Major)
Blue = subalterns (1st/2nd Lieutenant)
Green = NCOs (Corporal up through various flavors of Sergeant)

Unmarked clones, of course, would be your ordinary private soldiers.

Perhaps the indivdual ranks might be specified by the number of dots on the left side of the chest plate; in the film, the clones all seemed to have four dots, but we could suppose that there might be anywhere from one to four.

Not sure how the blue markings of the ARC troopers might fit into this scheme. I suppose it's possible that the blue of their armor is not intended as a rank designator; or it could be that, by a strange coincidence, all the ARCs we've seen so far were in fact lieutenants (this seems possible--they're specialized, independent troops trained personally by Jango; why waste 'em as mere cannon fodder? Perhaps these ARC lieutenants might best be employed in training whole units of similarly-'designed' clones, since Jango's not around any more). In that case, maybe we can imagine ordinary ARC troopers without any color-markings, NCOs marked green, etc. etc.

Presumably there are no clones of general-officer rank; I'd guess that the army was designed with unoccupied 'general' slots, to be filled by non-clone officers of the client's choosing (in this case, the Jedi). Interesting that the Kaminoans speak of the clone 'battalions'; perhaps this is the highest level of organization within the clone army prior to delivery. IIRC, a light or full colonel might be around the right rank to command a battalion. Presumably, the Kaminoans would leave it to the clients to organize the existing battalions into higher-level commands, under the client generals (again, the Jedi).

Just a bit of idle speculation.

PS: If you look closely enough, you can find blue and green clonetroopers in AOTC; they're in line to receive their helmets on Kamino durning Obi-Wan's tour. Thank the electronics gods for the zoom feature on DVD players.

Its2bad4u
26 March 2003, 04:39 AM
I like the idea of the rank groupings. Its a neat spin on it if anything.

Heh... I don't know if you'd want a whole bunch of ARCs. A whole bunch of really trained troops with an attitude problem? Could get ugly

Ronen Tal-Ravis
31 March 2003, 01:48 PM
I don't believe there are so many ranks. Its probably just what it in the JC question:

"Yellow markings indicate a commander. Red clone troopers are captains, blue are lieutenants and green are sergeants. "

An army of completely the same people does not need so many ranks to represent training and capabilities ( in fact in earlier times our armies' had far less ranks as well ).