PDA

View Full Version : Covert Op Jedi

Its2bad4u
27 March 2003, 09:14 PM
Do you think they would have existed in the Old Republic? I can see intellegence gathering as something that would fall into the expertiese(sp?) of the jedi. I mean they use the force as a knowledge tool to begin with, so I can see no reason for spy-type jedi to have existed to some extent. Plus it'd be cool to see a non-traditonal jedi rockin a shadow suit, some night vision goggles and have his lightsaber firmly holsered to one thigh, and a silenced blaster on the other... Or I've been playing too much Splinter Cell... mayeb a little of both. Anywho... whats everyone's opinions?

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
27 March 2003, 09:48 PM
Kind of like the Jedi Shadow from the Tales of the Jedi Era?

Its2bad4u
27 March 2003, 10:01 PM
I dunno. I've never read any Tales of the Jedi stuff.

Vodokarsk
28 March 2003, 02:20 AM
If you want to play a character like that you can make yourself a jedi investigator with the low profile feat and any other feat that will make you a sneaky bastard:). Skills like gather info., disguise, hide, move silently, intimidate would be important!

Crymoon
28 March 2003, 03:43 AM
hey, why not... The Jedi were the defenders of peace, and as we all know the base for any action is knowledge, so they had to have some kind of information gathering cell, and although there are moments where a normal spy is sufficient, I bet there are some that only a force user can master.
I think the reason we haven't heard about them is that they don't flash their lightsabers everywhere but walk the shadows staying unnoticed wheter (drat I never know how to writh it... i always confuse it with weather and then I really don't know how to spell it.. LOL) by their foes or by us... :)

Korpil
28 March 2003, 03:58 AM
There is a small tale of an undercover Jedi on the Tales #1 TP, he pretends to be a naive spacer who lands on a fringe planet where a gunman rules... it's quite good the story if I must say!

Vodokarsk
28 March 2003, 08:02 AM
Quinlan vos (the jedi with the memory loss) has in the recent issues of SW REPUBLIC been a covert ops kind of jedi (even carrying a blaster instead of his lightsaber):)

Its2bad4u
28 March 2003, 08:10 AM
cool I like Quinlain Vos enough already... they dont have to go making him even cooler :P

Its2bad4u
28 March 2003, 01:55 PM
I was thinking about it (in class)... I could definately see Jedi Intel agents being used in the clone wars.

Ardent
28 March 2003, 11:47 PM
Quin is officially a Jedi Investigator people, which is not to say that Jedi don't engage in covert ops...the point of the robes, most people seem to believe, is to allow them to blend in anywhere.

Sometimes stealthy manipulation can save them having to reveal themselves as Jedi.

Rogue Janson
29 March 2003, 03:00 AM
In terms of d20, I don't think there's any official jedi class or prestige class that has disguise, hide or move silently as a class skill (I could be wrong, maybe one of the PotJ classes has). I think there's definitely room for a covert ops/shadow jedi PrC.

Durian Keldrona
29 March 2003, 03:27 AM
but then there is force stealth

Durian Keldrona
29 March 2003, 03:30 AM
and effect mind-alter perception

Rogue Janson
29 March 2003, 03:55 AM
but then there is force stealth

and effect mind-alter perception
...which don't really do the job.
Unless you apply a house rule, Force Stealth only applies against See Force checks, so it's only any use against other Force users (and they can still spot you perfectly well with their eyes).
Affect mind is good in some circumstances, but not others - for example, it's limited to a range of 10m. You also have to hope you never have to hide from droids. B)

Durian Keldrona
29 March 2003, 04:33 AM
yeah i looked up force steath and said... not exactly what i was looking for. I was wondering how Obi-wan went un noticed on the death star