PDA

View Full Version : The Empire?

Admiral Noshow
30 March 2003, 06:18 PM
all you people who want the empire to start conquering some planets raise your hands...:isd: :tarkin: :thrawn: :scouttpr: :atatplt: :rguard: :snowtpr: and so on

Grim Fantango
30 March 2003, 07:06 PM
The empire is dead, a bloated corpse of it's former self...Oh yeah, they don't have enough resources to couquer planets and hold on to the either.

So I have to say no, the empire can't conquer any planets right now

Admiral Noshow
30 March 2003, 07:22 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Lord Kjeran
31 March 2003, 07:56 AM
Chello!

"Raise you're hand if you're SURE...."

::raises hand::

:P

Tony

Crymoon
31 March 2003, 08:07 AM
The only planets that the Empire can conquer are those in their minds... otherwise they are harmless... :( Unfortunately.... :)

There must be darkness for the light to be seen...

Long live.... some kind of Empire...

ElfWord
31 March 2003, 10:19 AM
Actually, the Empire has had some setbacks but is still fairly powerful. They're on the rebound, still have a few major shipyard centers, and have been educated in how to fight the Yuuzhan Vong effectively. There is no doubt that they are rebounding and reconstructing communications. Once they consolidate their defense of remaining strong points, Pelleaon will likely be able to talk the Moffs into making an offensive campaign. If the Empire hits hard (as is their style), they could likely deal some severe blows to the weakened YV. Capturing planets to my mind is unfeasible because the only planets available to capture are those that have been taken over by the YV, and those near the Empire are to the rear of the YV advance path. Because the YV are unlikely to allow the Empire to keep an advance base toward their rear, the Empire would likely be facing the same situation as the New Republic at Boreilas.

Jedi Master Talon
31 March 2003, 10:30 AM
The Empire in the NJO has gotten far away from it's former self I think they should be able to have some of the planets after the YV war is over.

Kanner Ra'an
31 March 2003, 02:20 PM
A shadow of its former self or not the Empire still has over two hundred star destroyers and you have to respect that. I would love to see the empire become more of an equal to the GA again. By the way the Empire was supposed to have Twenty five thousand star destroyers at its height, where did they all go? The new republic sure couldn't have killed that many in under twenty years.

Grim Fantango
31 March 2003, 03:41 PM
25,000 in a galaxy of millions of planets....maybe they all crashed....it could happen

Nova Spice
31 March 2003, 07:24 PM
Empire was supposed to have Twenty five thousand star destroyers at its height, where did they all go? The new republic sure couldn't have killed that many in under twenty years.

Well, killed is a little short-sighted. Remember that the New Republic, in the NJO, has a fine arsenal of Imperial I, Imperial II, Victory I, and Victory II class Star Destroyers. They were all captured or surrendered to the New Republic. Here are some of the more well known Imperial vessels to change hands:

-Lusankya (Super-class Star Destroyer)
-Adjudicator (Imperial-class Star Destroyer captured at Endor)
-Accuser (Imperial-class Star Destroyer captured at Endor)
-Avarice (Imperial II-class Star Destroyer surrendered at Thyferra)
-Virulence (Imperial II-class Star Destroyer surrendered at Thyferra)
-Corusca Fire (Victory II-class Star Destroyer)*
-Rebel Dream (Imperial-class Star Destroyer)*

*These vessels were named something else while in Imperial hands.

Its not unlikely that many of the Star Destroyers were sabotaged, captured, or surrendered rather than being destroyed. Although by the novels, there are certainly plenty of Star Destroyers that bite the dust. So in essence, the Empire became whittled down to two hundred Star Destroyers after twenty five years of Galactic wide fighting. This happened through a variety of methods. :D

ElfWord
31 March 2003, 07:27 PM
25,000 is probably an overestimation. With all the technical flaws in Star Destroyers, we can assume that 500 - 1000 were destroyed or put out of commission due to technical errors or malfunctions. A significant portion were likely destroyed by the Rebellion, and once the Empire fragmented I don't doubt that more were destroyed in internal conflicts as various warlords fought for power and dominance. As the New Republic solidified, it became more involved in these conflicts and was likely responsible for the destruction of a great deal of those 25,000 during this time, because it would be easier at this point when the Empire was so divided. I would imagine that as the Empire continued it's downward spiral, it scrapped many Star Destroyers in order to reduce the cost of maintaining them. Some ISDs likely were decommissioned due to extended age, as the maintenance wasn't kept up.
Anyways, that's just some ways to massively whittle down that 25,000 of yours.

Wedge in Red2
1 April 2003, 03:30 AM
It may be that it's the same ship as the Virulence Nova has mentioned, but there was also an Imp Star Deuce now known as the Freedom captained by Sair Yonka (hope that spelling is correct) who defected to the New Republic at some point in the Thyferra campaign.

I guess the point is a lot were destroyed, and a lot were captured. The books, after all, only cover the more interesting parts of the history and some of the bigger battles...

Jon

CaamasiJedi49
1 April 2003, 06:36 AM
Well, if any one is wondering, by the signing of the peace treaty 19 yrs ABY (Hand of Thrawn Duology), the empire had 2,500 or so. So, while the majority of their ships were lost, they still had a good amount left, and I have no doubt that they could (and most likely would) take worlds from the YV. Hope this helps.

Caamasi Jedi49

Kanner Ra'an
1 April 2003, 10:02 AM
the empire had 2,500 or so

Star Destroyers? I thought in the Tharwn duology they said their was only two hundred left. I just thought 1250 destroyers destroyed on average a year was a little high. If you want to count the ones destroyed over Byss in the comic books that would explain a lot of them missing. I find the idea of the empire decomishing Star destroyers hard to beleve since every ship was badly needed. Anways, lets see the empire get a few planets for themselves.

CaamasiJedi49
2 April 2003, 07:00 AM
Sorry, shoudl have specified. No not just Star Destroyers, but Victory's and the such. I'll be more specific next time.

Caamasi Jedi49

Ardent
2 April 2003, 09:26 AM
They're dead, Jim.

Good...god man...no...how...could they...do...such a thing?! THE DEVILS!

Yep, I'm in the party that feels the Empire MAY gain a little territory before the close of the NJO saga, but I feel it's moot. Pellaeon's made it very clear to the Moffs that he'll foster none of their guff any longer, and it perfectly willing to take his fleet and leave if they won't cave to his demands. Pellaeon's bright enough to realize the time for the Empire is past, I think he'll stress and emphasize the accord with the Galactic Alliance to the Moffs every second of everyday after the conflict.

Vanger Chevane
2 April 2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by CaamasiJedi49
Sorry, shoudl have specified. No not just Star Destroyers, but Victory's and the such. I'll be more specific next time.

Caamasi Jedi49

Vic's are SD's. There's 4 commonly-accepted classes of Star Destroyer (not counting the Inderdictor Cruiser).

Class ID - Name (Nickname) smallest to largest:

VSD - Victory (Vic)
ISD - Imperial (ImpStar)
ISD or ISD2 - Imperial II (ImpStar Deuce or Deuce)
SSD - Super (none known)

I'm not exactly certain what the difference is between the ImpStar & Deuce. Can someone else provide that info?

Kanner Ra'an
2 April 2003, 03:08 PM
I'm not exactly certain what the difference is between the ImpStar & Deuce. Can someone else provide that info?

If you mean the difference between a Imperial I and and Imp II, the Imp II trade most of it shields, all but ten of its ion cannons, and ten of its turbolasers in exchange for fifty heavy turbolasers.

Ardent
2 April 2003, 07:53 PM
There are actually 8 recognized Star Destroyers circa the NJO era. ;)

SuperSD (Executor), ISD Mk1, ISD Mk2, VSD Mk1, VSD Mk2, LibertySD, EclipseSD, SovereignSD

Get it? Got it? Good. ;)

Admiral Noshow
2 April 2003, 07:55 PM
you also need to think about the unkown regions and the empires allies in there. I mean there is alot of untapped rescources!:tieln:

Nova Spice
2 April 2003, 08:43 PM
you also need to think about the unkown regions and the empires allies in there. I mean there is alot of untapped rescources!

Actually, there isn't. And let me tell you why.

Most of the territory the Empire had in the Unknown Regions has become part of the Imperial Remnant. Worlds such as Valc VII and Borosk, as mentioned in Force Heretic I: Remnant, are part of those previously "unknown" worlds controlled by the Empire. Now, they are well known to NRI (or whatever the new Galactic Alliance Intelligence network is called) and the Galactic Alliance as a whole.

The "allies" you mention aren't really there either. The Chiss, as purportedly believed, are not actually allies of the Empire. They have a mutual respect for one another (part in thanks to Thrawn, part in thanks to military power). The Empire is dying and it seems that Pellaeon realized that in Remnant, as he forced the Moffs to join the Galactic Alliance.

I imagine that, as time goes by, if the Vong don't destroy what's left, the Empire will whittle away into nothing, blinking away any memory of what it once was. And as with all things, people will forget about it and it will, appropriately, become just a specter of the past. A topic to discuss over Corellian ale in a bar about days gone by.

Wedge in Red2
3 April 2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Ardent
Pellaeon's bright enough to realize the time for the Empire is past, I think he'll stress and emphasize the accord with the Galactic Alliance to the Moffs every second of everyday after the conflict.

I've just been reading the Hand of Thrawn Duology, and while I agree that he realises the time for the Empire has passed, I think he also hopes that there will be a time for it again in the future. Part of his reasoning behind trying to organise a truce with the NR was that the Empie needed to be around to replace the NR when it fell apart, and if they kept fighting it wouldn't be...

That said, I haven't read far into the NJO series (yet), and there's probably a bunch of stuff in there to change his mind.

I get the impression no one's going to be in particularly good shape at the end of the conflict, so perhaps particularly bold leaders may be able to take a few systems. Though I think most will just try to regroup.

Jon

TK-195
17 March 2005, 02:27 PM
I am wondering...WHERE IN GOD'S NAME IS THE 501st IN ALL OF THIS!!!!!! COME ON MAN!!!!:stormtpr: :emperor: :vader: :atat: :snowtpr: :rguard: :atatplt: :scouttpr:

Darth Fierce
18 March 2005, 05:19 AM
I agree that with Pellaeon at the lead, the Imperial Remnant's lust for conquering planets has died. Pellaeon understood that the Empire would eventually be wiped out if the protracted mopping up action by the New Republic carried on much longer. Therefore, he quite intelligently realized that there was room in the galaxy for both the NR and the IR if peace was forged.

Now, depending on who takes control of the Imperial Remnant following Pellaeon's eventual death, there might be some trouble. I for one, hope not though. I got really tired of the "new Imperial plot" that was churned out in many of the later New Republic novels.

Edit: Man, talk about reviving dead threads!!! I just realized how old this one was...

Darth Fierce :vader:

MikeLynch
12 April 2005, 09:57 AM
I agree with Darth Fierce. The Empire's a great enemy, but by this era I'd rather have a defanged friendly Imperial Remnant -- maintaining what passed for culture in the Palpy days -- than
either no Empire at all, or another Brilliant and Evil Imperial Warlord rallying what's left of the troops. Yes, the Empire was defined by war, but if they want to survive, they'll pick their battles more carefully.