2 April 2003, 08:04 PM
What if Thrawn had destroyed the new republic and had to deal with the vong

Any comments?:raised:

Admiral Noshow
2 April 2003, 08:05 PM
oppps i made a spell mistake in the title it should say if you will :P

Kanner Ra'an
3 April 2003, 09:45 AM
If Tharwn had to deal with the vong things would be much the same. The Yuuzhan Vong owe uch of their success to the fact that they are so strange it is next to ipossibe to anticipate their actions.

Jedi_Staailis
3 April 2003, 12:21 PM
Thrawn would have fared far worse, for several reasons.

First, the Jedi have saved the Republic numerous times in the conflict, and are the biggest thorn in the Yuuzhan Vong's side. Their powers, and how they seem to exist outside of their gods' influence, confuse the Vong, and it has dulled their drive and motivation to conquer the galaxy proper. Instead, Vong leaders are becoming focused on Jedi. Thrawn is noted for both his Imperial (anti-Jedi) stance, and for his disdain for them. Thrawn was arrogant in his power over C'Baoth, feeling that he could control him, but at the same time Thrawn was fearful of him. I doubt Thrawn would have allowed many Jedi in his new Empire.

Second, Thrawn's military genius largely lies in his ability to understand his opposition. The Vong are the kind of opponent that would utterly destroy Thrawn's tactics. The New Republic, which relies much more on creativity and flexibillity, is a stronger opponent for the Vong.

Yes, the Empire probably would have had more firepower at its disposal at the beginning of the conflict, but I think the Vong would have changed that situation quickly, and conquered the galaxy in short order.

Silent
3 April 2003, 07:12 PM
Hmmm, I don't know about not being able to understand the Vong: while they're pretty strange from the perspective of humans, they really aren't that odd when you consider all the other races and things in the galaxy: they're humanoid, they have a honour and caste-based culture, they worship their leader, etc, etc. Doesn't seem so odd to me, especially considering species like the Noghri and the like; also, look at Nom Anor, he's pretty well human in his mind-set, so I figure they can't all be terribly far off, except by conditioning. He might take a while to study them, maybe slipping a few spies into the ranks of the Peace Brigade and capturing a vessel or five, but I think that Thrawn could eventually work out a good way to beat them.

Wedge in Red2
4 April 2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Staailis
Thrawn is noted for both his Imperial (anti-Jedi) stance, and for his disdain for them. Thrawn was arrogant in his power over C'Baoth, feeling that he could control him, but at the same time Thrawn was fearful of him. I doubt Thrawn would have allowed many Jedi in his new Empire.

I don't know, I mean with Ysalamiri about, Thrawn would have little personal fear of the Jedi. And it's only a minor inconvenience to have a trooper with a nutrient frame following you about 24/7 (or whatever the day and week equivalents are).

I think his real concern would have been the effects Jedi can have on others and messing up his plans. Jedi cause waves wherever they go, and that could severely disrupt things.

Then again, I think Thrawn would approach Jedi much like he approached everything else - as a piece of the puzzle, a tool that could be used to achieve his goals. I'm not sure he would have only tolerated a small number of Jedi. Then again, that's just my thoughts on the matter.

Jon

coldskier0320
4 April 2003, 04:20 AM
OK, my opinion's less than objective, as Thrawn is one of my fav SW characters but......I say if Thrawn got a hold of a little Vong coloring book he'd send them back to wherever they came from poste haste with a nice imperial boot print on the butt portion of their armor:D :D :D

Jericho_Narcas
4 April 2003, 05:21 AM
Thrawn wouldn't even need any Vong art -- all he'd have to do is capture and study a couple of their warriors. Easier said than done, but this is Thrawn we're talking about here.

Trandoshan Jedi
23 April 2003, 12:29 PM
I agree Thrawn would've been able to stop the invasion in one or two books.

Hyperspace Marauder
23 April 2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Trandoshan Jedi

haha. That's probably the reason why it didn't turn out that way. ;)

Lucas Carr
23 April 2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Trandoshan Jedi

I do not agree. If the Rebellion could kick his butt, why would he do any better in this invasion then they did?

Kanner Ra'an
23 April 2003, 05:24 PM
The Vongs odd technology and the devastation they can create before their enemies can adapt is what they owe most of their success to. Grand Admiral Thrawn did so well because their is signifigant amounts of information he could have studied. The Yuuzhan Vong would have been as strange to him as it was to the rest of the galaxy. Also remember Thrawn would not have the huge advantage of the jedi in his corner.

Nova Spice
23 April 2003, 06:36 PM
I tend to agree that Thrawn wouldn't have fared any better. From everything we know about him, it's obvious Thrawn's advantage was in knowing his enemy. As shown in the novels, the New Republic didn't even understand the basics of the Vong culture until near the fall of Coruscant (nearly two years into the invasion). This knowledge came about directly due to Jedi-related operations. Thrawn would not have had Jedi at his disposal and therefore would not have had any Intelligence to go on; this in turn backs up the hypothesis that Thrawn would have failed as miserably or more miserably than the New Republic. ;)

Lucas Carr
23 April 2003, 08:10 PM
In Thrawn’s defense I want to say that he got to know his enemies by studying their art. And it has been said in this post before that it wouldn't have been difficult for Thrawn to get his hands on their art.

But then the question is, would their minds have been so different from what he was used to that studying their art wouldn't have given him the advantage it normally did.

Jim Williams
24 April 2003, 04:13 AM
I think Thrawn as a startegist in complete command of a galaxy's forces would have done better than the Republic, but certain realities intrude on whether a galaxy led by Thrawn would fare better than the Republic with its Jedi.

The Jedi have done immeasurable harm to the YV that Thrawn simply could not hope to match.
Thrawn ruling the Empire would be a different leader and a different man from Grand Admiral Thrawn.

On the upside, Thrawn wouldn't be letting some things happen that have...decisions made without factoring what must be done for victory. Thrawn, and by assumption those he had a hand in training, would withdraw when the time was right, fight to the bitter end when needed, and attack with overwhelming force when victory was needed.

I think the question goes beyond Thrawn but necessarily must factor in what kind of galaxy he would be in control of...

Jedi Master Talon
13 May 2003, 09:05 AM
I would say in the begining of the war Thrawn would have trouble because they are a unknown race but later after witnessing the way they do things Thrawn would thrash them in a heart beat.

Kanner Ra'an
13 May 2003, 12:17 PM
Spoilers

Ok, the chiss are obviously at war with the Vong. They have been attacked, its beleved that they have since the start of the war, and Chiss customs now allow them. However they have stuck to their own borders. If the chiss in general are such good tacticians then why are the Vong even in the unknown regions. Thrawn was not the best in the Chiss fleet, so their must be better tacticians then him who are having trouble. Hence i dont think Thrawn could have done much more then hold them off for a while.