PDA

View Full Version : XJ3 X-wing or XJX X-wing? Help!

Jim Williams
3 April 2003, 05:05 AM
Does anyone know what recent NJO book mentioned/debuted the newest model of the XJ-class X-wing?

I think it was called the XJ3 or XJX X-wing...

A book and page number would be great. I've scoured Remnant and Destiny's Way and I just can't find it...

Thanks!

CaamasiJedi49
3 April 2003, 06:25 AM
I think it was Star by Star, but I may be wrong.

Caamasi Jedi49

Jedi Master Talon
3 April 2003, 10:19 AM
I think your right Caamasi Jedi49 I do remember it in Star By Star but I can't remember the page it was on Jim.

Jim Williams
3 April 2003, 10:23 AM
The book helps...believe me. It's been awhile since I've read Star by Star, so I know it's mentioned more recently. But since one thumb through the latter books hasn't turned it up, I'll be poring through S by S.

Thanks guys. Too bad the rating system is down.

Anyone else?

scottyboy
3 April 2003, 10:30 AM
Actually, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, it's mentioned WAY before any of those books. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is, in Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse. It's referred to in a conversation between Talon Kardde and I think Belindi Kalenda (sp?), talking about Kyp Durron's squadron. It was mentioned in Vector Prime as well because that's the type of X-Wing that Kyp was flying when he was marooned out in space. I am almost 100% positive that it's the XJ-3 X-Wing. Hope this helps <b>Jim</b>! Sorry I couldn't give you specific page numbers.

Jim Williams
3 April 2003, 11:31 AM
That's what's killing me Scotty. Now that youmention it, XJ3 might be the designation for the X-wings used for most of the NJO (aside from the A3s used by Rogue Squadron in Onslaught). But I could swear recently an author briefly mentioned an upgrade...

Grrr.

Stupid brain!

Ardent
3 April 2003, 12:14 PM
Starships would likely be getting numerous upgrades and revisions in SOP and calibrations during wartime Jim. I mean, American Fighter Jets do. So the likelihood of small mods (like, for instance, allowing stutterfire) being designated as an "update" when everyone has already rigged their craft to do it is probably what happened. ;)

CaamasiJedi49
3 April 2003, 06:51 PM
What your talking about scottyboy, is actually the XJ X-wing, which Kyp had in Jedi Eclipse. Kyp didn't get his own XJ3 X-wing until star by star. Hope this helps.

Caamasi Jedi49

Jim Williams
3 April 2003, 08:35 PM
Okay, so XJ, then XJ3 upgrade.

ElfWord
4 April 2003, 07:33 AM
The XJ W-wing debuted on page 10 of Star by Star, in which Wurth Skidder fought off Rodians in headhunters attacking the Jade Sabre.

The XJ3 X-wing is first seen on page 139 of Star by Star, in the possession of Kyp's Dozen.

Jim Williams
4 April 2003, 08:28 AM
Thanks Elfword!

Nova Spice
4 April 2003, 09:35 AM
The XJ W-wing debuted on page 10 of Star by Star, in which Wurth Skidder fought off Rodians in headhunters attacking the Jade Sabre.

Sorry, I have to correct this, so as not to confuse Jim. I think Elfowrd meant the XJ X-wing debuted on page 10 of Vector Prime, in the hands of Wurth Skidder.

He is correct, however, in that the XJ3 X-wing didn't debut until Star by Star. ;)

Jim Williams
4 April 2003, 10:09 AM
okay, and thanks again. I didn't even realize i mentally filled in Vector Prime for Star by Star as i was familiar with the event.

So I'm either hallucinating about a new serious upgrade after the XJ3 mentioned in the last tow books or so, OR the character in question was simply reiterating they were in an XJ3. Or like Ardent said, the upgrade was relatively minor/not worthy of a designation change.

Vanger Chevane
5 April 2003, 11:22 AM
The XJ is not all that new.

IIRC they debut in The New Rebellion novel. They were being fielded to replace the Republic's aging X-Wings, but had a bomb built into the systems by Brakiss, who was controlling Mechis III at that time.

The XJ3 would definitely be considered a new-for-NJO model.

Jim Williams
5 April 2003, 03:43 PM
The New Rebellion featured the T-65D-A1, and it's production was never continued. Unlike the XJ, the D-A1 had no R2 on board...

The T-65A3 came even after the AC4 and before the XJ.

Now that I have some stuff rom Fulongamer to look at regarding alternate ideas on how dovin basals work, I can come up with alternate rules for dovin basals and XJ3 mods specifically designed to defeat YV skips.

Thanks again everyone!

Ardent
6 April 2003, 11:03 AM
OJ or will it be posted here, Jim?