PDA

View Full Version : Where have the Species gone?

Jahr the Tusken
8 April 2003, 11:21 AM
Why do you not see certain species from the fist two episodes such as Gungans or Dugs or Cereans during the Rebellion era? Did the Empire wipe them all out, or what?

Reverend Strone
8 April 2003, 12:05 PM
The obvious question is of course, because those races weren't designed by Lucas' artists yet, which is always the problem with prequels- you add as you go, so the stuff that is supposed to be earlier seems richer than what supposedly comes after.

But I realise your question was with respect to in-Universe reasons, for which I would reply that because of the Empire's fierce anti-alien bias, I would imagine that many of the stronger alien businesses have either been shut down or driven underground. Also, I would imagine that the movement of alien citizens, around the Galaxy, is a great deal more restricted in the Imperial reign. Most would be encouraged, either by laws or simple self-preservation, to stay home and weather the storm. Others have been outrightly enslaved or otherwise heavily suppressed.

We as viewers didn't visit many of the places you'd still find those races in the classic trilogy.

Jim Williams
8 April 2003, 05:43 PM
And don't expect much source material to cover the Kaminoans or Gungans, etc. in the NJO books or Rebellion era because frankly, they might not be around after Episode III. I expect after EpIII we'll see prequel stuff showing up in later time periods. Right now I wouldn't be surprised if the quiet word from GL is "Don't go there..."

Crin Daroota
8 April 2003, 09:08 PM
Also, a lot of the Episode 1 aliens come from Tatooine scenes, which is about as far as the Empire ever got out in the Outer Rim as I recall. Some of the races could be explained away as "coming from beyond Imperial boundaries" and then they probably wouldn't want much to do with the Empire and its preferential treatment of humans. Just a thought.

Lucas Carr
9 April 2003, 02:43 AM
One answer, that might not say much, is that no member of that race was at that location at that time.

Thus you as the GM can decide whatever you want for the setting. The Empire might have killed them all, or not...

Faraer
9 April 2003, 06:39 AM
Why aren't species introduced in Episode VI (Baragwin, Chevin, Gamorrean, Mon Calamari, Skrilling, etc.) seen in IV and V? There's no reason to think any Episode I-II species will be wiped out, no SW precedent for genocide. We've only seen one Cerean ever; Gungans aren't a spacefaring species. Several of the new species (Dugs included) have shown up in Rebellion era and later EU.

Korpil
9 April 2003, 06:54 AM
You do not see those species because of the same reason you did not see Gamorreans, Quarren, Mon Calamari on the first ever Star Wars (Episode IV).. just because no one of that species walked around the scene...

You did not get to see Coruscant on the movies until the very last part of ROTJ Special Edition... was it destroyed during Episodes IV and V and rebuilt for Episode VI? Not really. Simply it didn't NEED to appear.

Star Wars galaxy is a huge one, just because something doesn't appear in the movies means that it does not exist or has been destroyed. Otherwise the cantina scene on Episode IV should have lasted 8 hours to show us EACH and EVERY species available on the Star Wars galaxy. And the ending scene in ROTJ SE should have lasted another 12 hours just to show us every planet on the galaxy.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but remember what Sherlock Holmes said, always look for the simpler solution, most of the times, it's the correct one.

Kyndig_Episte
15 April 2003, 05:42 PM
also another reason reason could be is that alot of the species may not of gotten involved in the rebellion and there for were not there in the rebellion scenes. besides the rebellion seemed to be made up of mostly humans and just a few aliens. even though humans were less oppressed than aliens were.