PDA

View Full Version : ENWorld

VixenofVenus
10 April 2003, 09:47 PM
ENWorld's message board can #@*& % ∞*!

Ok ... I posted a Forgotten Realms custom race there ... asking for some comments, I told them I was going through with the custom race whether they told me it was stupid or too powerful, but that it also wasn't necessarily a FINAL version, and that I would probably dial it back if enough people thought it was too powerful (but it was already level adjusted +1).

Anyhoo ... it was great at first, then we started just joking around and finally they were all out BERATING me ... some stupid FREAKIN RULES LAWYER comes it and ruins the whole discussion.

Don't you hate these jerks ... they don't understand that the GM makes the rules ... not the book ... the book is just a guide to help the GM with rules. It's not like you'll go to hell if you burn the DMG or something ... otherwise hundreds of right-wing women from the 70's and 80's would be going ... (well they probably are ... but because they are hypocrites ... ).

Anyhoo ... the gaySmurf (his name was some sort of Smurf concoction) decided he was going to point out that one (YES THAT IS ONE ASPECT) of the aspects of the forum is to discuss rules and what they mean ... and I'll tell you ... he's a moron. A lot of them are ... because they all disreguard the FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT rule of ANY RPG WORTH ITS BEANS - THE GAMEMASTER MAKES THE FREAKIN RULES!

So ... to better illustrate ... I'll show you exactly what I posted over there at the ECrapWorld (well ... the site is good, and Morris is cool ... but some of the people on the message boards are crap!).

This is the first post ... basically I was just looking for comments:

Ok ... so far, one of my players knows that her mother was a moon elf who uncharictaristically fell in love with a good and noble mountain orc, and she became great with child (good bible phrase). After the child was born and had reached a time of coming of age, the mountain orc died of old age, and her mother soon after (in elven time) remarried another moon elf.

So ... I need to combine Mountain Orc and Moon Elf stats:

Mountain Orc:
+4 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
Medium Size, 30ft Speed
Darkvision 60ft
Proficient with Greataxe and Javelin (childhood training)
Light Sensitivity
Orc Blood (Magic Orc Weapons)
Favored Class: Barbarian

Moon Elf:
+2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution
Medium Size, 30ft Speed
Low Light Vision
Immunity to Sleep, and +2 racial vs. Enchantment
Elven Blood (Magic Elven Weapons)
Proficient with Longbow, Short Bow, Longsword, and Short Sword
+2 to Listen, Search, Spot
Favored Class: Wizard

My Combo:
+4 Strenght, +2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom
Medium Size, 30ft Speed
Darkvision 60ft
Immunity to Sleep, and +1 racial vs. Enchantment
+1 to Listen, Search, Spot
Level Adjustment +1

I gave her the Orcish favored class because I figure it's natural for her to favor her Orcish blood instead of the training intensive magical side, and ... she wants to play a Sorcerer/Barbarian (she thinks).

And, I got rid of light-sensitivity because she's been living with elves her whole life.

I figure with those two things, and the extra bonus to abilities, she is level adjusted +1.

Comments?

And after some of my own players, and ENWorld people (and a few other smaller message boards) had given me some suggestions ... I posted this:

Thanks for the help guys ...

A friend and I actually whittled it down to this:

Half Mountain Orc / Half Moon Elf:
+4 Strenght, +2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom, -2 Constitution
Medium Size, 30ft Speed
Darkvision 60ft
Elven Aging Process (Half Elf Sleep Requirements)
Level Adjustment +1

We got rid of some things, added the elven agins and Half-Elf sleep times (or meditation ... whatever)

Her character will still be level adjusted, but she doesn't mind as she will be multiclassing between sorcerer and barbarian ... making a nasty combination. We actually made her character and she is a lvl 1 sorcerer right now, and carrying her Greataxe (even with non-proficiency at this point) and a Mighty Composite Longbow +2 (she's from the Dalelands).

By next level ... this character will be really nasty ... but not TOO nasty. Definitely the equivalent of our other characters at third level.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

But did that end the thead ... no way ... they continued to just ramble on about how an Orc and a Elf cannot mate (of course they sited no sources for their crap opinions ... only stated them like they were some sort of law). And then when I called them on it ... they pointed out that Corellan and Gruumush have a history and Orcs and Elves hate each other ...

... dead silence ...

NO FREAKING CRAP ... WHY DO YOU THINK MY PLAYER WANTS TO PLAY THIS RACE!!?!

Darth Fury
10 April 2003, 10:22 PM
I think you need to add the -2 int and -2cha cause green skins is dumb and ugly gits or add the int and cha mods but make all the neg bonuses -1 and tone down the str bonus to +3

BTW the lawyers do have very valid points about the blood fued between the faye folk and green skins you cold consider the alternate back story that the mother was raped by the orc and could not bring herself to destroy her child regardless of its orc blood. It may not be as original but its a bit more believeable but then again it is call fantasy for a reason so maybe anything is possible:rolleyes: ;)

Moridin
10 April 2003, 11:06 PM
I think the point Vixen is trying to make is that it's very rude for people to jump on someone over something like this. You know, the great thing about roleplaying games is that you can do whatever you want. If she can find a plausible reason to cross Orcs and Elves, then why shouldn't she be able to?

Darth Fury
10 April 2003, 11:17 PM
Yes. I understand what her point was, I just felt like sharing my opinion on the subject.

BTW not t be rude and its not that I agree with what was said but as it has been pointed out to me here, if you post home-brew stats or house rules on this or any other board similar to this one be prepared for criticisms, not all of them fair or helpful.

Crymoon
11 April 2003, 01:49 AM
VIXEN just foget about them...
You can't have your day ruined by some stupid morons... You want to hear wise comments - conntact us here...:D

BTW it's a great idea with that half-orc half-elf hybrid...
I once made a half-elf half-gigant for Forgotten realms and I don't care if they like ieach other or not... you're not creating a whole race just one PC... so they can stuff tehmselves with all those smart talks...

Think of it like this... If they are stupid, are they worth your fury! Nooot!
Don't waste your time with them.. Waste it with us :D Stay cool and be happy.

VixenofVenus
11 April 2003, 07:33 AM
Thanks guys.

I have calmed down with sleep ...

They are punks ... and Moradin nailed it perfectly ... I did it for storyline more than anything.

I woudda posted it here, but it seems like the 'Alternate Roleplaying Games' are kinda frowned on ... I proposed a 'Alternate RPG Forum' a long while back, because I think the HoloNet is a much cooler forum for RPGers, and people here are MUCH more laid back and know how to give criticism CONSTRUCTIVELY ... and I just didn't think that posting this stuff in a Chaos & Misc thread was the right thing to do ...

I dunno ... maybe the winds have changed and the HoloNet is ready for a 'Other RPGs' forum? It's completely up to Moradin & Armage though ... they are the webmasters here.

Like I said a while back, I'd be willing to Moderate such a forum ... and I have experience moderating ... you can check out my message boards at the link below to The Venution Network.

But I don't want to hijack my own thread ...

Anyhoo ... I just wanna thank you guys for being understanding ... which is why the HoloNet rocks!

Whats really funny about this whole thing ... is I was just in a hilarious mood yesterday ... just floating on clouds, and I decided to visit the ENWorld boards in the evening just for fun ... big mistake. I would have had a much better day as a whole without visiting there. If you want to see some funny stuff ... just go to www.venution.net and you'll see some of the hilarious stuff I found yesterday ...

Well ... I gotz to go ... party on Wayne.

Ardent
11 April 2003, 01:02 PM
Well it's not necessarily frowned on, Vixen, but the Holonet is primarily a forum for Star Wars-related stuff. ;)

Although I think almost all of us have played D&D and/or d20 Modern and/or Call of Cthulu and/or WWGames and/or...

If you want feedback on a non-SW thing, C&M is probably the place to go...I can almost guarantee you'll get a lot of knowledgeable feedback. ;)

As far as inter-species relations in the Forgotten Realms, well, our House Rule is: if it's equipped, it's legit. ;) We've had some very odd NPCs come through. Half-Orc, Half-Drow is probably the most interesting to you. ;) He was one mean and nasty SOB. A male half-breed raised amongst Drow. Not a happy person. ;)

Grimace
11 April 2003, 03:43 PM
I don't see the "other RPG" forum becoming a reality anytime in the near or semi-distant future, Vixen. If you have something that you'd prefer to bounce off of people and hopefully not a catch a lot of flak over, you can feel free to post in C&M as has been mentioned. I think that as long as you don't monopolize the forum for other roleplaying games, there shouldn't be a problem with posting questions about other games on occasion. Basically, the same kind of thing applies to other RPGs as applies to political discussions...all in moderation. This IS a Star Wars board, first and foremost, but we all realize that people have other interests that they occasionally want to talk about. That's not a problem. It only becomes a problem when it starts to take over the original intent of the whole site.

If you have any questions regarding this, you can PM me.

VixenofVenus
11 April 2003, 05:02 PM
Yeah ... I know ... and I respect that.

Its just hard to come here and have stuff to talk about Star Wars wise when you aren't playing Star Wars ... but I try ... hehe

And I am a huge fan, but its really hard for me to post in the non-C&M threads because I feel like alot of the stuff discussed has already been discussed at one point or another ... and also, running a web-based constantly running RPG is much harder than running a weekly one ...

WAY more hours .... but the payoff is bigger too ...

But if I have more D&D stuff, I'll prolly just post it in C&M ... hehe