PDA

View Full Version : Attack Gunships are cool...

Wedge in Red2
11 April 2003, 02:27 AM
Man, I just watched AotC again, and I love the attack gunships. They rock! I'm now totally convinced that I need to run a game where the characters get to fly one.

Oh, and those Acclamator ships kick too. I love the bit when the clones first arrive in Geonosis and as the Assault Gunships descend, you see the Acclamators flying across overhead.

Jon (like a kid in a candy store :D)

wolfe
11 April 2003, 03:04 AM
yep way cool only one problem though..
the pilots only got 8 missiles..not good.. c'mon from an advanced civ like that and thats it...rather have a pair of blaster cannons myself...not much of a fire support vehicle..

Chris Curtis
11 April 2003, 05:57 AM
Well, 8 missiles (I'll take your word on the number since I simply don't know) plus several rather potent beam weapons. You did notice the Clonetroopers in those little swing-out side turrets, right?

I'd equate the Republic Gunship to something like the soviet-era Mil-24 Hind helicopter - it's a combination assault platform and troop transport and does a pretty darned good job at both of them.

Ravager_of_worlds
11 April 2003, 07:48 AM
yeah, those gunships are pretty neat... except they go down easy. i don't like the fact the missiles are exposed on the top... were I the enemy, all i hvae to do is get behind and shoot their missile payload and everyone is dead on the ship.

good analogy to the russian Hind helicopter... i would have said a Black Hawk, but i think Chris Curtis analogy is closer to the truth (if there is one in computer generated vehicles)

wolfe
11 April 2003, 11:01 AM
OOPS...

well they have 8 light air to air missiles under wings..but they have the mass drivers and the extreme front cannons(keep forgeting those) that for some strange reason(script immunity) the pilots wouldnt fire them at the count when told to shoot him down....

as for helicopters...well I would put it in the same catagory as the MH-60L DAP (direct action penetrator) heres a pic:
http://www.soc.mil/images/MH-60L_DAP_mix.jpg
I fly these for the army...

at least she can hover unlike those hinds..

hisham
11 April 2003, 04:53 PM
Has anyone seen the Battle of Geonosis storyboards inserts in the AOTC paperback novelization? Good God! The original storyboarded battle is more awesome that what was shown onscreen!

It had gunships heading coming towards the camera blasting at droids in the foreground, doing a flyby of the camera and as it flies away the rear cannon finishes off the droids that are still standing.

Also seen are clone troopers on speeder bikes, camera trucking back with them as the fly beneath homing spider droids. The riders throw some sort of timed magnetic detonators and as droids recede in the background, they blow up.

And actual scenes where the SPHA-Ts are lowered from the Acclamators and they walk out from under the cap ship's shadow.

Now, why wasn't these in the DVD?

Darth_Cassed
11 April 2003, 06:42 PM
The lasers on the sides (God, their name just slipped my mind....I wanna say Composite Lasers) look like mini Death Stars firing. Those are some powerful lasers....

Wedge in Red2
12 April 2003, 02:16 AM
Yeah, I was particularly impressed with the way the gunships mowed down the droids in the arena. The Jedi were surrounded, and then within a few seconds there was a sizable gap between them and the remaining droids. The gunships just obliterated hundreds of droids! I think a lot of it is to do with the fact the gunners have 3 attacks (check the stats in the RCR), but visually it was still spectacular...

Jon

Nova Spice
12 April 2003, 05:59 AM
I think the Attack Gunships are a real novel idea by George and crew. I was glad to see an aerial combat vehicle that was more well-armed than T-47's (and don't get me wrong, I thought the snowspeeders were cool, and still do).

I think the most impressive scene with the gunships is when they zip by over the huge droid army vs. clone army clash, mowing down an entire line of droids and then quickly flying over the Trade Federation Core ships. Hit and run has always been a great tactic to employ!

And I agree with Jon; Attack Gunships are cool! :D :P

Darth_Cassed
12 April 2003, 09:12 PM
Anyone played Attack of the Clones for Gamecube? Man those things rule the battlefield....

Kyndig_Episte
15 April 2003, 05:38 PM
yeah those were the best thing in the movie, besides the yoda fight scene, that is. i think i will use them in my campaign. they were really cool.

Hal
15 April 2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Wedge in Red2
Yeah, I was particularly impressed with the way the gunships mowed down the droids in the arena. The Jedi were surrounded, and then within a few seconds there was a sizable gap between them and the remaining droids. The gunships just obliterated hundreds of droids! I think a lot of it is to do with the fact the gunners have 3 attacks (check the stats in the RCR), but visually it was still spectacular...

Jon

Autofire and multifire help too :)

Darth_Cassed
16 April 2003, 05:09 PM
Autofire and Multifire? We talkin real life terms, video game terms, or RPG terms?