PDA

View Full Version : Jedi with Jobs

Dr_Worm
17 April 2003, 12:35 PM
I am doing a little research and I thought you could help me. I was wondering about Jedi in the OR (5-10 years pre-ep1), and if they ever had jobs? I am talking about, say a Knight or master, who shows a particular talent for something that could serve the public. We know that Kenobi becomes a General durring the clone war, but what about other civil positions. The Jedi councel would always be the final authority, but perhaps a jedi also wants to further a particualr cause as long as it does not impede with Jedi.

Trandoshan Jedi
17 April 2003, 01:10 PM
They could be Doctors, Philosophers, Teachers, Police Officers, Scientists, Entertainers...basically anything not immoral.

Durian Keldrona
17 April 2003, 01:25 PM
they would volanteer for these positions and would not be paid. In general they do not work at a job. They do do these kinds of things for the temple, but not in the "private sector" so to speak.

Ardent
17 April 2003, 09:55 PM
OR Jedi shouldn't, AS A RULE, be making Profession checks. Their needs are provided for by the Force, and tenatively by the Jedi Order (which is more than wealthy enough to handle even a starship purchase if the Jedi has enough prestige).

Rebellion era and NJO Jedi might take a Profession check here and there, but any time they do, I'd impose a -2 modifier to their Force skills, because they've been neglecting their commune with the Force while they're making creds.

Theoretically, Jedi should be above the need for credits.

Fred Getce
18 April 2003, 05:35 AM
Being a Jedi IS a profession. It is a life long education & commitment and as such would require all their devotion to it so thay would not be able to pursue another career.

It is still up to you and your campaign though.

Trandoshan Jedi
18 April 2003, 06:21 AM
I think that it's up to the Jedi if wants to be paid for a job or not. I really don't think it matters as long as it's morally right.

Dr_Worm
18 April 2003, 01:39 PM
Well here is the scoop. I got the bug to create a Fic based around a Jedi Investigator that was more like a private eye. Like a dectecive genre SW fic (or a SW era detective story). I really do not want to deal with Jedi councel and politics and stuff, just sleuthing. So I was wondering if it was plausable that this investigator might work in the private sector, sometimes pro-bono somtimes donating profits to charity, rather than for the Jedi Councel or for the Republic. If it is not plausable I will probably do it anyway.

Faraer
18 April 2003, 02:30 PM
Here's the pathos: the Jedi are too few to maintain peace and justice and yet with their extraordinary training and sacrifice and abilities they've done so for a thousand generations. All their loyalty is to the Force and to the Republic. Every day a Jedi spent on private work could cost thousands of deaths in a civil war. It might be the will of the Force for a Jedi to work for months at the Temple on a work of art, or to rebuild a planet, but there's no commitment to any career, no working at the directions of any government bar the Republic via the Jedi Council. So Dr_Worm's story isn't plausible to me and I don't see why it needs Jedi in it. Of course if that's the story you want to write, you should write it.

On the other hand, it might work out that such work was the correct way for a time during some journey mission . . . depends on the execution.

wolverine
18 April 2003, 02:58 PM
What if he was just trained in the force, and not a proper jedi>???

Dr_Worm
18 April 2003, 08:22 PM
Well the whole hook is that he is naturally extreemly adept at what ever that force power is that allows you to see the past surounding a touched object. So his real talent is walking in to a crime scene and feelin his way through the crime until he really gets into the head of the criminal, getting psychic tugs, and even perhaps a name. Sort of a phychic blood-hound. The way I figure is is that if he is that talented then the Councle would have roped him in along time ago. But perhaps he is a failed Jedi, with a mysterious past. Perhaps he was a Jedi, but now operates outside of their sphere, and feels he is making his retribution by helping others. Kind of a cross between Sherlock Holmes and a wandering Monk.

Ardent
18 April 2003, 08:22 PM
Unlikely he would remain unaccosted by the Jedi Order, wolverine. The Jedi Order circa RotE is very cautious about Force-Sensitives outside the Order, and keeps a very, very tight leash on their activities inside the Republic.

Vanger Chevane
19 April 2003, 07:25 AM
In some of the novels, it's stated that Jedi Nejaa Halcyon would work with CorSec's Rostek Horn in keeping the peace. Often in plainclothes, and not revealing himself to be a Jedi, unless it was neccesary for him to appear as one.

Whether or not Nejaa received any sort of pay from CorSec, or the Jedi Council is unstated, and open to interpretation.

Nejaa had to have some sort of income to support his family, unless Jedidom at that time is much closer to the military than we are led to believe and the Council maintains some sort of free "base housing and Comissary" for its members.

By the same token, if Nejaa was on CorSec's payroll, he wouldn't take a higher salary than he & his family really needed to life in a decent level of comfort, unless he was donating the excess to the Council, and probably various charities like the Survivors & Orphans Fund.

He'd also have to work out an understanding with CorSec that would allow him to do what the Force required of him before ever accepting the job. Should the employer attempt to use his employment to force him to do something that went againt his Jedi Ethics, etc., he'd resign on-the-spot.

A Jedi who was being paid by other than the Council and living in the lap of luxury would be under serious scrutiny, and definitely be risking censure, by the Jedi Council.

Hyperspace Marauder
19 April 2003, 02:36 PM
I almost always have these situations be similar to a contract arrangement with the Jedi Order and the organization to hire the Jedi's services. The Jedi Order has the final say to arbitrate the use of the Jedi's time (and the backing of the Senate to lend support to their decision).

HM

Vanger Chevane
20 April 2003, 07:14 AM
I came up with later yesterday, and discussed with Dr_Worm via IM is this:

I can easily see a Jedi Healer on the payroll of a Public Med Center, using their abilities to aid anyone & everyone who needs it, drawing a modest, but comfortable salary. I can also see them doing things like running or participating in Free Clinics in depressed areas.

What I cannot see a Jedi Healer doing is running a Country-Club-Lifestyle Private Practice.

A Jedi does not exclude people from their aid on some arbitrary basis, like the ability to pay a large fee. One may do some expensive consultations in order to fund a Free Clinic or some such, but their main focus would be on the Everyday Being, not the Moneyed Elite.

Ronen Tal-Ravis
21 April 2003, 02:09 PM
As Jedi don't have a possesion they don't need money. Attachment is forbidden as Anakin stated, possesion and thus money is only a form of attachment. But a Jedi simply follows the will of the force not economics. According to the Jedi Apprentice novels and the Powers of the Jedi Sourcebook, there are different parts of the Jedi Order which not all fullfill knightly duties. There is a Agri-Corps, and Healer Corps...

Thus Jedi do jobs according to their abilities - just without money. What needs a Jedi money for? All that is needed is covered by the Order as a large, e.g. Qui-Gon having 25 000 credits with him.

Maybe that is a hint how the order failed. If no Jedi gets money they are forced to take donations and probably financial support by the Republic. If Palpatine cuts this supports the Jedi are in real trouble if they don't want to betray their principles of a 'simple life'.

Darth_Cassed
21 April 2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Worm
Well the whole hook is that he is naturally extreemly adept at what ever that force power is that allows you to see the past surounding a touched object. So his real talent is walking in to a crime scene and feelin his way through the crime until he really gets into the head of the criminal, getting psychic tugs, and even perhaps a name.

Are you talking about Postcognition?

Also, think of the work Jedi do as more of charity. They do it for the good of the galaxy, the money they have is from the Order, they take only what they need. They are essentially Native Americans economically.

I do not believe Jedi would accept money for jobs, at least without turning around and helping someone else with that money. Perhaps he could use the money to get something to help him with his case...

Ronen Tal-Ravis
21 April 2003, 02:27 PM
I almost forgot. Jedi follow the will of the force - why should they take money for that?

lynnlefey
21 April 2003, 02:36 PM
The ability to get impressions from a physical object is generally referred to in psychic circles as psychometry. Check here (http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/p/psychometry.html) for more info.

I don't think a Jedi would have any problems being an investigator (see the Jedi Consular and Jedi Investigator PrC in D20. The style the player showed would be his own decission. If he didn't wear Jedi robes, he might get subtle and not-so-subtle nudgings by the council. He might only visit the Jedi Temples rarely, and perhaps not feel all that at home in them, preferring being in the 'real world'.

Likely, a Jedi such as this would not have a padawon, with the council waiting until the individual 'matured' and came more in line with standard Jedi dogma.

Does he take money? Maybe. What's done with that money is a different matter. Maybe he squirrels a little away, but probably uses a lot of it for greater good. If not, you'd be looking at someone sliding toward the dark side

Ardent
21 April 2003, 06:13 PM
It's also supposed to be a 'rare gift' in psychic circles.

Psychometry is Force feat under the d20 Star Wars system, although it is available only to Kiffu characters without a GM's specific approval.

I don't think the Jedi Order is above receiving money for their actions, but I think most of them look a lot more favorably to receiving goods. Room & board would probably be my Jedi's major preoccupation...not trying to save up credits to purchase a starship. If he doesn't have one, he doesn't need one, and if he needs one, he'll get one with or without acquiring the credits.

Darth_Cassed
21 April 2003, 06:38 PM
In d6 there is Postcognition, used for CSI

starkiller210
6 May 2003, 11:23 AM
In the Jedi Aprrentice books if a jedi has not been choosen by a master by age 13, they usally are sent to planets to be farmers. I hope this helps8o

Sirec Tyrak
6 May 2003, 04:33 PM
Ronen Tal-Ravis's man that idea about the Jedi falling due to having no way to make money if the Emperor turned off the donations was great! I never thought of it like that.

Good one.

The Ghost
11 May 2003, 02:33 PM
i actually had this discussion recently as well.

"why do Jedi have Profession?" i was asked.

The reason they have, and could subsequently gain ranks in Profession skill (d20, of course) in the Old Republic is because they could be trained in some of the different jobs that Jedi have to do. like it was stated before: AgriCorps and MedCorps are two of them.

They would work, for free, learning a certain skill with which they were adept. Those with a penchant for healing would go and work shelters, or be sent as field medics where disputes came up. Those good with labor and growing things would be sent to the Jedi farms, where most of their food was grown & harvested. there were also animals that needed to be dealt with and studied, or herd animals raised for food. or they could work with droids or as mechanics, repairmen. Jedi were put to work maintaining everything they were given by the Republic, so that it was never wasted.

consider how the military does things and figure that is a close approxamation to how the Jedi would handle everything they do and why you could have a Profession in the learning sense, but wouldn't make money from it (unless absolutely necessary)

Ardent
11 May 2003, 03:23 PM
Aside from Rebellion/NR Jedi, I don't think it makes sense and wouldn't allow it. ;)