PDA

View Full Version : Continuity problem in 'Inside the Worlds'

Sompeetalay
18 April 2003, 12:40 AM
I recently got 'Inside the worlds of Episode II' and it is a wonderful book no one should be without. But I found a continuity error ... the book says Sora Bulq, Tarados Gon and Eeth Koth perished in the LAAT/i that explodes while Yoda, Mace and Ki-Adi are watching ...

Sora Bulq features in Dark Horse's 'Jedi Mace Windu'. I know there are several ways to explain this (Bulq was missing right after the battle, but turned out to be alive), but I don't like continuity errors like this. I know the books are not at all written together, but where is the continuity editor of Lucasfilm / Lucasbooks ?

Another question is ... we know that Sora survives so should we really assume that Gon and Koth are dead too ?

Meditate on this we must ... ;)

Darth_Cassed
18 April 2003, 07:06 AM
None of those sources are canon, so continuity kinda becomes irrelevant, it's Lucas Rule #1.....

Nova Spice
18 April 2003, 08:35 AM
The Power of the Jedi Sourcebook claims that Eeth Koth perished on Geonosis after the arena battle. I think "Inside the Worlds" clarified when and where he died. I knew some Jedi had perished on that Gunship, but wasn't sure which.

As far as Sora Bulq, perhaps she did survive, for when the Gunship explodes, you can see a body falling out, instead of being incinerated. Its likely she managed to survive. Though the other two are definitely dead.

Confirmed dead Jedi Council Members:
-Coleman Trebor
-Eeth Koth
-Yaddle* (Died before Episode II)
-Yarael Poof* (Died before Episode II)

Possible dead Jedi Council Members:
-Even Piell
-Saesee Tiin
-Oppo Rancisis

Known surviving Jedi Council Members:
-Yoda
-Mace Windu
-Ki-Adi Mundi
-Plo Koon
-Depa Billaba
-Shaak Ti
-Adi Gallia

And we all know by the end of Episode III, how many Council members will be left.... :(

Sompeetalay
18 April 2003, 03:49 PM
D.Cassed ... you are absolutely right about the canon value, but we need sourcebooks to give us more information on what we didn't see or didn't know from just watching the movies. If they didn't tell us these facts, we'd never know them, so they just add information to what already exists and can be seen in the movies (unlike the EU where writers invent completely new stuff not seen in any of the movies). That's what makes SW so great ... all the background info on the things and characters we see in the movies. I care a lot about canon too, but as long as canon does not contradict certain information we must rely on Sourcebooks to gather more information.

To Nova ... Sora Bulq is a male Weequay & according to Republic # 50 Oppo survived.

Nova Spice
19 April 2003, 09:58 AM
To Nova ... Sora Bulq is a male Weequay & according to Republic # 50 Oppo survived.

Yikes, my fault Sompeetalay! I mistook Sora for Bultar Swan! :P

And thanks for the information on Oppo; I figured he probably had survived, but wasn't completely certain. Now I can scratch his name off the list. ;)

Kyndig_Episte
29 April 2003, 03:58 PM
where does it say that yaddle died? i don't remember it written in the novel unless i just missed it. can any please tell me. i would li,e to know.

Talon Razor 'GM'
29 April 2003, 04:05 PM
Eeth Koth dies?? No!!! Bummer.

Gee, see how informed I am! ;)

In one battle, if you think about it, the CIS wiped out a huge amount of council members. That would be like if in Bull Run the Confederates wiped out Meade, Grant, Hooker and Pope in one shot.

Tramp
29 April 2003, 05:05 PM
I just checked both the POTJSB and the New Essential Guide to Characters. In neither book does it say that Yaddle died before the Battle of Geonisis. Both say that she split her time between the temple, and an auxilliary training facility on the planet Kamparas when not on missions. It is likely that she was at Kamparas during the Battle of Geonosis.

Nova Spice
29 April 2003, 07:00 PM
It is likely that she was at Kamparas during the Battle of Geonosis.

Initially I thought that as well. However, I thought I remembered hearing about her death in the Jedi Apprentice series? I could've sworn Shaak Ti replaced her on the Council after her death.

Now, I know for a fact that Coleman Trebor replaced Yarael Poof after his death sometime before Episode II.

Eeth Koth dies?? No!!! Bummer.

For real! I remember reading this in POTJ and on www.starwars.com and thought how disappointing it was that it wasn't actually "shown." Too bad he went up in a fireball...... :(

Tramp
29 April 2003, 07:20 PM
Remember, other than for a very select few, Yoda and Mace being examples, the membership on the Jedi Council is not permanent. They rotate on a regular basis. Therefore Yaddle may verywell have been replaced once her term was up.

cartographer
30 April 2003, 04:10 AM
Yaddle's fate is revealed in Jedi Quest #6: The Shadow Trap.

Faraer
30 April 2003, 08:06 AM
And Yarael Poof's is in the Zam Wesell one-shot comic (27 BBY).

There are at least a few other continuity problems in IWE2: a third account of the factory where Darths Sidious and Tyranus meet, and a second Padawan, Galdos Stouff, for Sora Bulq in addition to Mira who we see in Jedi--Mace Windu.

Lucas Carr
30 April 2003, 09:08 AM
EDIT: Oops. I don't know what happened here...

Lucas Carr
30 April 2003, 09:09 AM
If that is the case, I must have made a mistake in my notes of who is a member of the Council from the movies. For I have listed Poof as a member of the Council in AotC.

Nova Spice
30 April 2003, 07:14 PM
If that is the case, I must have made a mistake in my notes of who is a member of the Council from the movies. For I have listed Poof as a member of the Council in AotC.

It's okay Lucas; honest mistake. ;)

Yarael Poof was replaced by Coleman Trebor after his death sometime before Episode II. Although Coleman died when Jango Fett shot him off the balcony..... :(

Lucas Carr
30 April 2003, 07:18 PM
I thouhgt Trebor had replaced Yaddle:?
Who replaced Yaddle?

Reverend Strone
30 April 2003, 07:38 PM
Shaak-ti perhaps?

Lucas Carr
30 April 2003, 07:42 PM
I didn't know that one, thank you. Are there more changes in the Council?

Faraer
1 May 2003, 06:41 AM
Yes, Shaak Ti replaces Yaddle a year or two after Coleman Trebor joins the Council. No other changes. Of course this is caused by pragmatic filmmaking concerns: it was thought Yaddle might cause confusion with Yoda, and Yarael Poof with Kaminoans. I'm not sure why those two had to die rather than just rotating out of their Council positions; it does convey the passage of time, but it slightly lessens the impact of the deaths at Geonosis.

PsychoInfiltrator
19 April 2005, 04:34 PM
When did Saesee Tin die? I read one Ep 2 sourcebook saying he died at Geonosis, but there are several DH accounts of his actions in the Clone War.

(If the answer is Spoilers, fine. But please just say spoilers)

EDIT: Also, a friend said that the Jedi force was split between the droid factory and the Arena, and that Yaddle dies in the factory. Is he right, or just uniformed?

I'm guessing uninformed.

Nova Spice
19 April 2005, 09:19 PM
Saesee Tiin didn't die--it's a mistake in the sourcebook. As you can see clearly in the Episode III: Revenge of the Sith trailer, he's one of the Jedi that confronts Palpatine.

EDIT: Also, a friend said that the Jedi force was split between the droid factory and the Arena, and that Yaddle dies in the factory. Is he right, or just uniformed?

He's wrong. Yaddle dies before Episode II even takes place.

PneumaZ
20 April 2005, 06:58 AM
Yeah keeping up with the dead Jedi is tough, but it was a time of strife in the old republic.

But as far as the books not being cannon, i still find that Lucas inc. in general is much more aware of what is going on in their worlds and at least tries to avoid blatant contradictions. There are some cases (lightsaber colors) where Lucas himself will just fly in the face of what was laid out before him, but thats his right as creator. LOL. Mean bastich.

But usually i think most of the contradictions can be explained and are remedied through Lucas Loopholes...so I would say they are 98% cannon except where contradicitions lay; then, its a work it out from there technique.

And let's also keep in mind just how many contradicitions we run across in real life. Al lthe time, one thing says this and one thing says that and it's real life. So cannon can have contradicitions.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule and this is just an opinion.

BrianDavion
9 May 2005, 11:58 PM
sora bulq is explained. he was PRESUMED dead at genosis and later popped up alive