PDA

View Full Version : The Vader/Luke-Leia Connection

Jim Williams
20 April 2003, 04:26 AM
Does anyone know for sure when the galaxy at large would have learned that Luke and Liea were Vader's kids?

Obviously in RotJ Leia knows her father's ID.

Their sibling relationship is not hidden.

Luke, I believe, has no trouble and in fact does tell his students at the Academy of his relationship to Vader as a teaching tool.

By the Black Fleet Crisis circa 14y After Endor, an alien from a xenophobic, very isolated culture accuses Vader's Daughter of using the Republic's military might to subjugate the galaxy. So pretty common info for him to know about it.

Anyone know when/where the info was released?

Darth Fury
20 April 2003, 06:30 AM
Other than their most trusted friends and family, the Noghri are the only species 'at large' that know of the connection as far as I'm aware. But I haven't read any of the NJO books so.......

Ardent
20 April 2003, 08:21 AM
I'm fairly certain it came out around the same time Leia stepped up as Chief of State. I'm certain it was cemented in the minds of the New Republic when the Solos named their youngest son Anakin. It's one of those things that doesn't really need to be defined as far as I'm concerned. :) It's not a huge continuity bungle waiting to happen or something.

Master Tryka
20 April 2003, 06:10 PM
I'd have to agree with Ardent. Look at all the stuff we seem to find out about our leaders during the election process, I'm pretty sure someone somewhere would find out and it would be racing on the Holo Net 2 minutes later. I'm pretty sure Luke does tell the students at the Praxeum or Academy or what not.

Jim Williams
20 April 2003, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys. It's going to come up in our early NR-era campaign. In the thread where we're discussing Thrawn's wisdom in using the Noghri, it would seem he did not know Vader was Luke and Leia's father? If he did, he made a serious miscalculation in sending Noghri after those two.

Anyway, the info will be helpful as we come up on 4y A.E.

Codym
20 April 2003, 08:38 PM
Concidering the galaxy at large believed Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader to be two completely different people, its not surprising Thrawn made this mistake. Even Vader concidered Anakin to be more or less dead. Up until the BFC reference, I would have found it hard to believe anyone could have made the connection, as Luke and Leia would certainly not make it public knowledge (especially concidering the damage learning two of the galaxy's greatest heroes are the offspring of its most feared tyrant could do to the formation of a new government.) As it is, I believe the author let a "cool line" get in the way of common sense.

Jim Williams
21 April 2003, 02:28 AM
Codym, the problem is it was more than a cool line...it was the foundation of Nil Spaar's propaganda attack on Leia and put in her face a few times.

Maybe Luke just let it out whenever the information just naturally got out, and since the BFC has to be taken as valid EU stuff, I was just wondering if anyone knew a reference for a specific time the info was revealed. Guess it's just left to off-camera, but that's cool.

Codym
21 April 2003, 02:55 AM
I agree with you, that if you take the EU into account you must accept this, but personally I believe something that major should have recieved some actually "air time," because the ramifications would have seriously affected the New Republic. Perhaps it will be covered in later novel.

wolverine
21 April 2003, 03:15 AM
Damn skippy. He does tell his students, at the preaxeum, but that was in confidence, and to give them a perspective. From there we go to the BFC, where Nil spaar spouts it off. ANd so does that senator, who tried to work against leia.

Jim Williams
21 April 2003, 03:53 AM
Brakiss would be just enough of a jerk to reveal it anonymously and leave it to some SW Pulitzer-seeking journalist to try to find everything out. that would be a cool novel idea since they're going back and writing NR-era material. NR Intelligence tries to squash the story and the journalist since they wouldn't want the NR to be associated with a mass murderer. Luke could finally get wind off it and have to protect the journalist and the story on principle from a "rogue" branch of the NRI...

Okay, that's an adventure I'm running!

Kanner Ra'an
21 April 2003, 05:13 AM
Didn't Luke tell members of the rebel alliance that he was Vaders son. If not then they must have suspected something when he brought back the armor to be creamated. If he did then it might have been common knowledge among the rebels then slipped out to the galaxy at large.