PDA

View Full Version : Mad Speculation...

Aaron B'Aviv
23 April 2003, 11:52 AM
... Because what else are Star Wars fans for?

This line of speculation begins with a character we haven't seen in a while- Asyr Sei'lar, the Bothan who was briefly a Lieutenant in Rogue Squadron.

For those of you who don't remember her, she was a damn good fighter who joined up with the Squadron during the battle for Coruscant. She had a romantic relationship with Gavin Darklighter that was frowned upon by Borsk Fey'lya, because humans and Bothans shouldn't be getting that close, in his opinion. So Fey'lya blocks Gavin and Asyr's attempt to have kids.

In Isard's Revenge , Asyr appears to go out in a blaze of glory, but in the end of the story, it's revealed that Booster Terrik has rescued her and she's going to disappear, to work among her people for social change, because she doesn't want other Bothans' lives to be ruined by snots like Borsk Fey'lya.

In the meantime, Gavin is briefly devastated to think that Asyr is dead, but he recovers and about ten years later, he gets married to Sera Faleur and they have several kids. Gavin, now a Colonel, becomes the commander of Rogue Squadron.

We're now in NJO territory. Several things occur to change the situation. Borsk Fey'lya dies, so he's no longer a snot but a hero. The Bothans are so pissed that the snot... i mean hero... is killed that they declare Ar'kai on the Yuuzhan Vong, swearing to wipe out every last one of the Vongies.

Now it's time for the mad speculation!

What's Asyr been doing in the intervening years? She hasn't made it really clear what she planned to do. It's possible she worked undercover, Bothan spy-style, to elevate those who supported her ideals. I prefer to think she assumed a new identity and worked within the system to make changes.

In the time between her 'death' in Isard's Revenge and the NJO, she's probably gained a lot of influence, Bothan-style. She's a smart, politically-savvy, cynical Bothan who probably has a position of esteem in the Bothan government.

All we know about the Ar'kai is that it was declared by the Bothan government. We don't know about the political debate that proceeded the declaration. What if Asyr was the leader of the faction that triumphed in this debate? By piggy-backing on the issue of Ar'kai on the Vong, and winning, Asyr may be in charge of Bothawui right now.

And once in power, nobody's going to stop her from changing the rules she set out to change. I see a youth movement backing Asyr as she makes reforms in the Bothan government.

Then she tries to seek out Gavin Darklighter, who she can finally share a life with.... and finds out that he's already been married for ages.

Interesting story or what?

Or maybe none of that made sense. I did say it was mad speculation. Am I foaming at the mouth?i

Trandoshan Jedi
23 April 2003, 12:18 PM
The part about her finding out about Gavin being married now would make an interesting story all on it's own.:bothan: :janson:

Nova Spice
23 April 2003, 06:32 PM
Asyr has never struck me as the kind of Bothan interested in politics. Her fighting instincts and her savvy flare always gave me the impression that she had a penchant for proving herself and outsmarting her foes.

Her inherent abilities and skills were never really used for personal gain IMO; as she seemed far more concerned with the Rogues and Gavin than she did about any type of agenda.

However, that fighting instinct, would certainly have been brought out full force during the Vong invasion, especially after the death of Fey'lya and the fall of Coruscant (the world she helped liberate). I might add that it wouldn't surprise me to see her in league with Admiral Traest Kre'fey, as a leader of a Bothan Ar'krai SpecOps force.

Good idea for a topic though Aaron. ;)

Aaron B'Aviv
23 April 2003, 07:08 PM
Thanks, Nova. I love speculation of this nature, and I hope to encourage more people to throw out ideas, not just about Asyr, but about any loose ends that we can tie up.

I disagree with some of your conclusions abou tAsyr. My impression of Isard's Revenge was that her purpose henceforth would be to undermine the crooked Bothan system that denied her and Gavin the chance at a happy family life. Personal vengeance right there.

Your last paragraph makes sense, though... Hmm... another mad speculation burst is setting in. If rumors are true about the spoiler about the end of the NJO that's in another thread on this board, it has interesting consequences.

There's a suggestion that the NJO will be ended when someone steals the Alpha Red biological weapon and unleashes it without New Republic (or whatever the good guys are called now) approval.

What if the Bothans, seeking to achieve their goal of ending the Ar'kai, are the ones who do this? With their legendary prowess as spies, I can envision them being the ones with the skills to pull off the theft. And they have the motive. So maybe that's how Asyr fits into this all, as the one who steals the Alpha Red weapon.

My apologies. I hate to put comments that not everyone is willing to read, but I had such an interesting thought that I had to share it.

Admiral Noshow
23 April 2003, 10:25 PM
I dont like Bothans...they helped blow up the death star... although it wasnt hard...anyways that kinda book wouldnt really intrestme on acount of its lack of action... and it not have any imperials in it!:tieln:

Wedge in Red2
24 April 2003, 12:37 AM
I think such a book would have HEAPS of action in it! And don't necessarily assume the Imperials wouldn't be in it. War time makes for strange bedmates, and it wouldn't be unusual for the Empire to advocate the use of a super weapon. Perhaps the Bothans and the Imps team up?

Jon

Aaron B'Aviv
25 April 2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Noshow
I dont like Bothans...they helped blow up the death star... although it wasnt hard...anyways that kinda book wouldnt really intrestme on acount of its lack of action... and it not have any imperials in it!:tieln:

No action? Surely you jest.

Spy thriller after spy thriller will attest to the fact that a mission like this would be loaded with action. Heck, even Mission Impossible shows how cool this could be.

We rarely get to see the Bothans in action. If their SpyNet is so good, let's see them prove it. I would love to see Asyr Sei'lar, Koth Melan, and all the other Bothan heros of the various novels show how Bothans can pull off a spy mission of this difficulty. The secret series ending weapon will certainly not be left unprotected for anyone to grab.

Wedge, that's a really interesting notion about the Bothans and Imperials being in it together. Old Skool Empire maybe, but not the Pellaeon Empire, i don't think. But war does make for unusual bedfellows, I'll give you that. All I know is that ever since Conquest, the NJO has suddenly been really good. I'm counting on a good ending for the series.

starkiller210
21 May 2003, 01:23 PM
Asyr was always a fighter, but the way bothans are it would be hard enough for her to make her voice heard in bothan society, if you arn't a noble no one will listen.:raised:

Nova Spice
22 May 2003, 08:43 AM
Asyr was always a fighter, but the way bothans are it would be hard enough for her to make her voice heard in bothan society, if you arn't a noble no one will listen.

Wow, that's very untrue. Asyr Sei'lar and Traest Kre'fey both prove that statement wrong. Asyr was lauded by the Bothan people for serving in the legendary Rogue Squadron and Admiral Kre'fey is probably the most influential Bothan after Star by Star. The Bothans respect people with charisma and cunning, and no one says you have to be of nobility to possess those two qualities. ;)

Aaron B'Aviv
22 May 2003, 06:05 PM
I want to point out that both Asyr Sei'lar and Traest Kre'fey are related to the ruling families. Kre'fey is part of a discredited branch and Asyr is only a distant cousin, but they are related to the ruling families.

Yes, the Bothans value merit in political maneuverings, but nobility surely counts for something.

Nova, I also wonder where you get the idea that Kre'fey is the most influential Bothan after Star by Star. He's the only Bothan we've seen since Star by Star, but we haven't really got any insight into how the Ar'kai was declared. We don't know who rose to Borsk Fey'lya's spot of prominence among the Bothans in his stead.