PDA

View Full Version : Corran or Kyp?

RevengeOssus87
24 April 2003, 04:29 AM
Who's better in the NJO series, Corran Horn or Kyp Durron?
I'd personally rather go for Corran because in the book I, Jedi he can absorb power and blaster bolts etc. because its cool (and a bit calmer than turning Carida's sun into radiactive dust). And in the NJO books on Ithor he really opens a can of whoop-@$$ on that Yuuzhan Vong dude. 8o

Master Tryka
24 April 2003, 04:37 AM
I dunno, I like them both, but my vote's gotta go with Kyp. I dunno, I just like the guy, plus he did save the Academy in Darksaber (not quite NJO but close enough) and I just think he's a good character and a devil's advocate to make sure Luke considers all sides. Corran is a great charater in his own right though.

Jim Williams
24 April 2003, 04:38 AM
Kyp's gotten more air time though. I like Stackpole (really), but like Zahn he has this way of making his characters, ummm, shine.

I remember particularly being annoyed in I, Jedi when ex-Corsec newbie Jedi Corran Horn lectures Luke on matters of the Force. Luke, who resolutely tossed his lightsaber away and told the Emperor, "I am a Jedi, like my father before me." being told about how to walk up to the edge of the dark side without crossing it. Give me a break.

At least Kyp is honest about his arrogance and his shortcomings. And his realization that Skywalker is correct.

IMO.

Needles
24 April 2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Jim Williams
Kyp's gotten more air time though. I like Stackpole (really), but like Zahn he has this way of making his characters, ummm, shine.

I remember particularly being annoyed in I, Jedi when ex-Corsec newbie Jedi Corran Horn lectures Luke on matters of the Force. Luke, who resolutely tossed his lightsaber away and told the Emperor, "I am a Jedi, like my father before me." being told about how to walk up to the edge of the dark side without crossing it. Give me a break.
IMO.

IMO, that wasn't Stackpole making his character shinne, as much as it was taking a previous author (anderson) to task for the way he was writing the jedi's rebirth. Which was pretty simple and unrealistic at points. I mean, Kyp durron murders billions, and everyone's all right with this, no questions asked afterwords. story holes that most fans brought the author to task for. Considering all that Luke had gone through, he was written as kind of a simpleton when it came to managing the academy. like all the development that he underwent since ANH was completely forgotten. It was just Stackpoles way of trying to handle it within the story.
But to further add, just because Corran was a new jedi, doesn't mean he didn't know a lot about crossing lines of behavior and self control. As a law officer i would say he was pretty well familiar with the subject. And it was already established that Luke had made a mistake by crossing over to the darkside in service to the emperor, and needing mucho help in getting back.

scottyboy
24 April 2003, 05:56 AM
Just my personal opinion, but I don't think that it <b>WAS</b> a mistake for Luke to cross over to the Dark Side. Maybe, at the time. But, in the end it's a good thing. Because now Luke has a unique platform to view the Dark Side from. Unlike Durron, he was a Jedi Knight <b>BEFORE</b> he turned to the Dark Side. So, when he turned, he had an understanding of what he was turning against. Durron, on the other hand, he basically <b>BEGAN</b> his training with an influence from the Dark Side. And that in and of itself, changed the way he viewed the Force from the beginning. It's like the old adage goes... "Old habits die hard."

Durron may have been strong enough to come back from the Dark Side, but he was irrevocably changed in the process. And as everyone can see, it <b>HAS</b> affected him in adverse ways. The line between Dark and Light is permanently blurred for him.

However, I do like Kyp Durron as a supporting character. His wild behavior and personality adds much realism to the Jedi Order. He is a masterfully created character with many intricacies that I'm sure we haven't seen all of yet. For me, he's one of those characters that I just "love to hate."

Now... On to Corran Horn. I like Corran. But I have to agree with whoever said it. He had no place saying <b>ANYTHING</b> to Luke about the Dark Side. Luke had been there at that point. He knows better than <b>ANYONE</b>, where that distinct line between Dark and Light is. Luke Skywalker is and will always be <b>THE</b> single defining persona in how the Force is viewed and used.

Those facts do not sway my opinion about Corran Horn though. He is a well developed supporting character that adds much to any story he is involved in. His strengths may not be the same as the other Jedi, but that's part of what makes him such an interesting character.

Crymoon
24 April 2003, 07:50 AM
There are more facettes to the Dark Side that Luke can possibly know about... and as he is wise he listens to others when they tell him something he might have not experienced...
Do you want to say that Luke know all about every aspect of the Dark Side...

Now back to Corran vs Kyp. Kyp is more powerful but a bit a flat character. Corran I like though some aspects of him becoming such a smart Jedi were done way too quickly.

scottyboy
24 April 2003, 08:07 AM
Do you want to say that Luke know all about every aspect of the Dark Side...

I'm not saying that at all <b>Crymoon</b>. What I <b>AM</b> saying is that having been to the Dark Side and back again, Luke Skywalker knows more about it than anyone who hasn't been there before. Other Jedi can speculate about the Dark Side all they want to. But, until they turn, they'll never know for sure. Luke <b>HAS</b> turned. So, he can say with confidence, that he <b>DOES</b> know.

I agree with you about all the different facets of the Dark Side and the Light Side for that matter. There is no Jedi who can claim to know them all. And, there probably never will be. But, Luke Skywalker is <b>A LOT</b> closer to being able to say that than any other Jedi at this point. For Corran to question what Luke has already experienced just seems a little ludicrous if you ask me. Sure, in the SW universe, the Force is different for every different person. But, there are always certainties.

Corran I like though some aspects of him becoming such a smart Jedi were done way too quickly.

You have to take into consideration that <i>I, Jedi</i> only happened 11 years after <i>Star Wars: A New Hope (Episode 4)</i>. The NJO era books start 25-30 years after <i>Star Wars: A New Hope</i>. So, at this point Corran Horn has been a Jedi for 14-19 years. I don't care what you do, but a lot of progress can be made in that amount of time.

Crymoon
24 April 2003, 08:16 AM
Corran I like though some aspects of him becoming such a smart Jedi were done way too quickly.

I meant his quite quick growing up in I Jedi At the begining he was eager to find his wife adn nothing would stop him. Then sudden;ly he becomes a smart Jedi..
I like this book... It's the book that I like the most form all SW novels, but this growing up bothers me... a bit... :)

scottyboy
24 April 2003, 08:22 AM
I meant his quite quick growing up in I Jedi At the begining he was eager to find his wife adn nothing would stop him. Then sudden;ly he becomes a smart Jedi..
I like this book... It's the book that I like the most form all SW novels, but this growing up bothers me... a bit...

Yeah, I have to agree with that. When I read that book, I remember thinking how wierd it was. He was all 'gung ho' about getting her back in the beginning and then it was almost like he just went on vacation at the Academy. Sort of wierd.

Nova Spice
24 April 2003, 08:56 AM
Now back to Corran vs Kyp. Kyp is more powerful but a bit a flat character.

I have to disagree with you here Crymoon; thanks to the NJO, Kyp is no longer a flat character. The evolutions and changes to his persona over the course of the fifteen novels thus far has been incredibly well-written and has made Kyp (to me) feel like he could walk on screen in any one of the films.

I think Kyp is one of the best characters developed in the NJO, hands down. Corran, who is a favorite of mine (though not my first favorite-that belongs to Wedge Antilles ;) ) is a great character as well. Both have been involved significantly in the series (Corran's bout on Bimmiel, his duel on Ithor, his rescue of his son at the Academy, his adventure with Anakin Solo and Tahiri to Eriadu, his support role in Star by Star, and his combat fighting roles in Enemy Lines I, II, and Destiny's Way) and both characters have grown dramatically as personas in the Star Wars Universe.

Comparing the two, its hands down Kyp is far more powerful than Corran (as a Jedi at least). Kyp is a Jedi Master and has far more raw Force power than Corran could ever wish to have. As a pilot and a leader, Corran outclasses Kyp greatly. Corran Horn is perhaps the best Jedi fighter pilot in the galaxy, even better than Luke Skywalker (which if you look at my quote from the novel X-wing: Rogue Squadron, shows you how much Corran has grown as a character).

Kyp is the most powerful, Corran is the most respected of the two. ;)

Crymoon
24 April 2003, 09:05 AM
it may be so Nova though I have only 4 or 5 NJO books and Kyp begins to change in a right direction but was too flat anyway... Although when I get the rest of the books in some 3 or 4 years (seeing as their gets published in here) I could change my mind.

Jim Williams
24 April 2003, 09:56 AM
Personally, I thought it was a betrayal of Luke's character for him to turn to the dark side in Dark Empire. I find it interesting how little attention novel authors give the comic. Heck, Zahn even had Mara question whether Luke even faced a ressurected Emperor, or, as she put it, "I don't know what it was, but it wasn't the Emperor." I guess she would know. Although I didn't really appreciate Zahn's slight on another Star Wars author's work, I still just didn't like Luke turning.

Anyway, Corran. I guess Luke is a different cat than OR Jedi Masters, who would have probably turned Corran Horn away if the only reason he wanted to train was to rescue his wife. I can hear it now. "Afraid for your wife, are you." "See through you we can." "Your thoughts dwell on your wife."

I'm not so sure Luke would have thought it was the greatest of reasons for training Corran either. He's not a #$%^& fast-food restaurant.

Kyp and Carida. Whoo boy. Personally, I liked that Luke stood up to the Republic and told them they had no business with Kyp. I thought it was awesome. It sure didn't seem watered down to me. Heck, I'm surprised Luke didn't ask if the NR Council would like some coffee in their Cheerios (and I'm not really talking about coffee, get it?) if they disagreed with his judgment on Kyp.

Wedge in Red2
24 April 2003, 12:38 PM
Yeah, Jim. But look at the other characters Luke has agreed to train. Kyp (already walking down the dark side). Gantoris (quickly turned). Mara Jade (wanted to learn Jedi skills to better run the smuggling operations). And a Dathomir Force Witch (Kirana Ti, if my memory serves me). And wasn't Kam Solusar some Dark Jedi before? Luke pretty much decided that he'd take anyone who wanted to learn. I don't think any of those others would have been trained under the OR.

And I have no idea what you mean about the coffee and the cherios. Wanna PM me and clear it up?

Cheers,

Jon

P.S. Undecided on which I like better...

scottyboy
24 April 2003, 12:46 PM
When you're discussing who the Masters of the OR would or wouldn't have trained, you also have to take into consideration the fact that in the OR, they took their candidates as children. If they were past a certain age, they wouldn't be trained.

That being said, I think that it would be a fair assumption to make that absolutely <b>NONE</b> of the Jedi that Luke has trained would have had a chance of being trained in the OR under the same circumstances.

That, in itself, is another reason why this is the <b>NEW</b> Jedi Order. Luke didn't have the resources to do things the way they did them in the OR. Now that he has a few hundred Jedi trained he could do it (which as it states in Vector Prime, he is trying to move towards that).

Iain Kysler, Jedi Apprentice
24 April 2003, 02:32 PM
Two words: Corran Horn.

1) He most certainly knows where the Dark Side is. He gave complete examples of his experiences with CorSec and how he refused to accept things that would make him better at the expense of the public, and, how he gave the laws a chance to run their course before taking things into his own hands. He had every right to lecture Luke. Luke had just, for all intents and purposes, released the murderer of everybody on Carida from justice, and instead, it appeared to elevate him and even praise him for destroying an entire WORLD!

2) I do think Kyp is a bit understated. There just isn't enough substance to me. Corran, now, he seems exceptionally real for me. Kyp...well...he's just missing something...

3) Lets see here...Kyp wasn't able to take down Corran himself, despite the fact that he's apparently stronger in the Force. No, he had to call in a Dark Lord of the Sith to do it for him.

4) Kyp fell, Corran didn't, when tempted with Exar Kun's offers of power. Granted, Corran may or may not have fallen in the NJO during the duel on Ithor, but Kyp had been down that road before as well, and to a MUCH greater degree.

Those are the reasons that I think Corran is the better character. Nitpick away, all ye who read!

RevengeOssus87
25 April 2003, 04:39 AM
I agree with Iain (sorry, i probably butchered your name).
In I, Jedi, Corran goes up against Exar Kun while the rest get ready for their ambush. Kun beats the crap out of him and tries to draw on Corran's despair and anger and pain to make him dark; but he holds on to the light just long enough for Mara Jade to come and help him. Then Exar leaves and gets killed (again) and Corran and Mara are alive to smile at the camera once more.

Crymoon
25 April 2003, 04:58 AM
I feel that I must defend Kyp a bit...
this was the young unexperienced and very proud but not much thinking Kyp... In NJO ( that I own) he grows up a bit, but if you read Nova's post you'll see that he'll grow much further in ways of force and life....
So although I prefere Corran, Kyp ain't that bad as I thought... :)

Wedge in Red2
25 April 2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by scottyboy

That being said, I think that it would be a fair assumption to make that absolutely <b>NONE</b> of the Jedi that Luke has trained would have had a chance of being trained in the OR under the same circumstances.

You mean if they had been discovered as adults? Yeah, I'd agree, they wouldn't have been trained in the OR. I mean, they nearly turned down Anakin, who was all of 10.

That said, I don't really take offence at Luke training some of the people. Streen, for example and Dorskk 81/82, seemed perfectly reasonable candidates. Corran too, and Cilghal (sp?). But some of the others, you really had to ask yourself what KJA was smoking. I mean, Gantoris tried to kill him, and yet Luke didn't think that'd make him at all susceptible to the dark side. As was mentioned above, KJA seemed to take Luke back to farm boy levels...

Anyway, back on topic. Hmmm. Well, I haven't really read much of the stuff where Corran is a Jedi, but I did love him in the X-Wing novels. Kyp, I liked at the beginning. I felt sympathy for the guy, for his harsh background. But, I don't know, he's like the guy who never grows up and realises what he's doing is wrong. Or rather, he seems to grow up, then takes a step backwards again.

My vote is for Corran. Although I reserve the right to change it :).

Jon

Lucas Carr
25 April 2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by scottyboy

I'm not saying that at all <b>Crymoon</b>. What I <b>AM</b> saying is that having been to the Dark Side and back again, Luke Skywalker knows more about it than anyone who hasn't been there before. Other Jedi can speculate about the Dark Side all they want to. But, until they turn, they'll never know for sure. Luke <b>HAS</b> turned. So, he can say with confidence, that he <b>DOES</b> know.

I disagree. A person does NOT have to turn to Darkness to know or understand darkness. That's like saying that you cannot learn from others mistakes.

Codym
25 April 2003, 08:51 PM
Corran. He's skilled, knows what it means to be a Jedi, and has grown up conciderably since his first appearence as a brash pilot in Rogue Squadron, something Kyp has failed to do (in fact, he's more immature now that when Han first met him back in JA1.) Admittedly, the only time Kyp has given me any real entertainment was his clumsy sexual advances on Jania in Rebirth. Other than that, he's a darkside deeb.

Lucas Carr
25 April 2003, 09:20 PM
Oops. Forgot to say which one I like. I like Corran Horn.

Sirec Tyrak
27 April 2003, 01:11 PM
I'm going to have to go with Corran. He was a COP then one of the poster boys for the New Republic then he found out that he came from a line of Corellian Jedi.
He never turned to the dark side. He could have. The dark side is right there waiting for you to give into to grief anger... Corran had all of that right next to him in I, Jedi but what did he do. He went to Luke Skywalker and asked to walk the difficult path of a Jedi. He embodies all that the Jedi strive to be.

Tramp
30 April 2003, 12:07 PM
Not only that, but with his experience as a CORSEC officer, he has faced the Dark side time and time again and has felt the temptation to use his "authority" as a cop in unethical ways to get things done, and has resisted that temptation time and again; even when his father was killed, he kept his cool and brought Bossk in instead of giving in to anger and killing him in cold blood. He also realizes that the Dark Side can manifest in other ways when he contemplates accepting Leonia Tavira's offer to him of becoming her consort, and how doing so would have been of the Dark Side because it was selfish. My vote has to go to Corran Horn for certain, even though I do like Kyp as well.

Jedi Master Talon
2 May 2003, 05:19 AM
I think Corran Horn is the best ecspessally when he beat the crap out of the Yuuzahn Vong guy on Ithor but it sucks that he drops out of the series later, well he sort of does because he's not used as a main character anymore in the series.

starkiller210
7 May 2003, 01:16 PM
Personally, I would choose Corran because, like Luke he didn't know about Jedi heritage untill later and he never set out on his own personal vendetta except when he rescued his wife in the I, Jedi novel.

Jacen13
8 May 2003, 04:30 PM
Corran wins hands down.
1) Dual phase Saber
2) Kick-butt fighter pilot
3) Interesting, in that he can't use Move Object, ect. And can use
Absorb Energy really well, as well as redirect energy
4) Cor-Sec is cool
5) Mirax is cool
6) I like his police/Jedi style.
7) The X-Wing series is awsome

DevJannz
7 November 2003, 03:47 PM
I also like Corran Horn. He may not be the most powerful Jedi, but a Jedi should not be measured by their level of power but by their strength of character. Another good example of that is Tionne.

BrianDavion
7 November 2003, 04:29 PM
I do think Kyp is a bit understated. There just isn't enough substance to me....
I couldn't agree more. Kyp a lotta the time just seems to be..... there.

Corran, now, he seems exceptionally real for me
Defiantly, Corren DOES seem real. it's an awesomly written charcter.

. Kyp...well...he's just missing something
yeah. modesty. Kyp always stuck me as just a force strong ball of ego etc. he seems to lack much modestly and humility.

Jedi Master Talon
12 November 2003, 07:56 AM
I have to say that Corran has to be the better Character. He was really amazing in the I,Jedi and he was amazing in the NJO. Ecspessially when he beat the snot out of Carr (the YV he fought) on Ithor. Kyp has been more of an arrogant SOB he just doesn't listen till the end of NJO. But I have to hand it to Kyp to He was pretty cool in the end of NJO, but I have to still lean towards Corran.

Tramp
12 November 2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Talon
I have to say that Corran has to be the better Character. He was really amazing in the I,Jedi and he was amazing in the NJO. Ecspessially when he beat the snot out of Carr (the YV he fought) on Ithor. Kyp has been more of an arrogant SOB he just doesn't listen till the end of NJO. But I have to hand it to Kyp to He was pretty cool in the end of NJO, but I have to still lean towards Corran.

The one Corran fought on Ithor was Shedao Shai, nit Yomin Carr. Yomin Carr was defeated by Luke and Mara on Belkedan.

Zanus
12 November 2003, 10:23 PM
First, of the NJO, there are at least two other jedi who would know as much or more about the dark side then Luke. One was one of the reborn Emperors Dark Jedi, the other was from the shadow academy. I will grant that the younger one, from the shadow academy may not totally fit, but he did start his force career in the dark side. No one in the EU up till NJO seemed to know exactly what to do with luke, and everyone always wanted to be the one to make him have some great revolation in their novel or series.

As far as favorites, well...

Kyp seemd to be MJA attempt at taking on some new hotshot kid to be just like Luke at the beginning of ANH. His only weakness at the beginning of the novels was his nievete, otherwise he was very powerful in the force, especially with flying with the force. Yeah, luke was nieve, but he didn't have as much control of his force powers to start with, and you actually saw him developing as a person as the movies wore on. After the JA trilogy, we dont see much of Kyp again until Dark Saber. and then once more he disappears until the NJO, not counting some comics. We don't fully see him turn into a jedi master, it just sorta happens. His development in NJO was great, but far overdue. Maybe instead of trying to find his mother in the Black Fleet Crisis, Luke could have actually been written as properly training his apprentices and making his mistake at not turning him over to the law, which the Jedi are supposed to be a part of, not outside of, worth something.

Corran had a specific purpose when he was created, and was very well fleshed out in the early X-wing series and in several short stories. Ok, I will admit, I did find his development in I, Jedi alittle weird and rushed, but there is only so much you can fit into one book, and the way the book was written kept me entertained and interested, so I didn't care to much. All the development for Corran was done by the time the NJO came around. He didn't have gobs of natural power, he didn't have the run of the mill natural piloting ability, he learned how to be as good as he was. He has a force weakness, which most other jedi don't seem to have, beyond not being as strong in the force as others. to be fair, yes he does have his obvious "look at my cool addition" factor, but people have taken to him far better then Kyp.

I think Kyp may have gained enough leadership ability with Kyp's Dozen and two, although he didn't know how to use them properly under certain conditions. Corran had plenty of experience leading. I don't think he was ever mentioned as a master, or at least with an apprentice. On the whole, I would agree with the prior assessment that Kyp is more powerful in the force, but Corran better embodies the principles of the Jedi in my opinion, after his development that is.

Krad-edis
3 January 2004, 04:31 PM
I think Corran shouldn't be understated in ability even next to Kyp. Anyone who takes a thermal detonator blast and only has to worry about replacing his clothes is hard core as far as I am concerned.

Plus, Corran's stats illustrate his abilities quite well. He is an all around bad-ass, and he had to be to in order to beat Shedao.

Errin Orwain
5 January 2004, 02:31 PM
I would go with Corran. Kyp may be more powerful, but so was Palpatine. Corran may have clashed with Luke on training issues, but he was right about that dude that Exar Kun used and later fried. By the time of the NJO Kyp is still flirting with the dark side and refusing to listen to Luke most of these times. If Yoda were around he would smack Kyp in the head with his stick to put him in his place (since he wouldn't warrant the respect of a lightsaber duel). Corran is far more thoughtful and respectful of Luke and the Jedi Order as a whole and therefore a better Jedi even if he is not as powerful as Kyp. I think he should be a member of the Jedi Councel if Luke ever reforms it. (I have gotten as far as Traitor, so if Luke does it in a later book, then don't spoil it for me please.)

Nova Spice
5 January 2004, 05:40 PM
If the question is: :"Who is a more powerful Jedi, Kyp or Corran?", then the answer is quite easy.

Kyp Durron-Jedi Master
Corran Horn-Jedi Knight

Kyp's a Master for a reason. One of them being that he has one of the most potent connections to the Force in the New Jedi Order. And it is claimed in the Jedi Academy trilogy, that Kyp has more raw Force power than even Luke Skywalker.

Now, if it were to come down to a fight, Force or no-Force, I would probably go with Corran. Simply because he was in CorSec and Rogue Squadron. He knows how to anticipate his enemies--that's been his strongest suit throughout his life.

But, again, if it comes down to Force power, Corran Horn has to take a back seat...way in the back...to Kyp Durron. ;)

Corr Terek
5 January 2004, 06:48 PM
Of course, it also comes down to the uses of the Force that Kyp and Corran have chosen to focus on. Kyp has focused on power, so it's true, he can throw around a lot more power than Luke or Corran. However, Luke and Corran seem to have focused more on inward abilities -- Luke, Sense Powers, and Corran, Affect Mind. And thus they are stronger in those areas.

I seem to remember Mara Jade saying something along the lines of how the Force's ability to guide you is inversely proportionate to how much you use the Force for raw power.

I'd have to go with Corran, though I don't mind Kyp.

Errin Orwain
5 January 2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
Kyp Durron-Jedi Master
Corran Horn-Jedi Knight

I was under the impression that Corran was a Jedi Master also.

Nova Spice
6 January 2004, 10:32 AM
I was under the impression that Corran was a Jedi Master also.

Nope. Corran has never attained Master status. Even as late as The Final Prophecy, he is still listed in the dramatis personae as a Jedi Knight. And it's even mentioned in The Unifying Force, albeit implicitly that Corran is not a Jedi Master.

Now, that's not to say that he won't be in the post-NJO galaxy. In fact, I'm sure he'll be there.

But in short, no, Corran is only a Jedi Knight. Which doesn't stand up to Kyp's status as a Jedi Master. Sorry.

wolverine
6 January 2004, 11:53 AM
Corran has been a jedi longer than Kyp, so i am wondering why he still is just a knight? Also, has not corran taken on pupils??

Wedge in Red2
6 January 2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by wolverine
Corran has been a jedi longer than Kyp

Not by much. Kyp joined in the Jedi Academy Trilogy. Corran joined in I, Jedi, which occurred at the same time. I think Corran was in the initial "group", though, while Kyp joined a short time after (after Gantoris's death, I believe). We're talking a matter of weeks here, so I'm not sure it's really a valid argument. Besides, time spent as a Jedi is not the only (or necessarily even one of) the requirements for Master-hood.

Cheers,

Jon

Errin Orwain
6 January 2004, 05:40 PM
true, but to the best of my knowledge Corran hasn't blown up any planets or tried to kill his Master or anything. being a Jedi Master is alot more than raw power (which Kyp has in spades), but IMHO has alot more to do with maturity ( which Corran has alot of). Kyp could learn alot about being a mature, responsible Jedi from Corran any day of the week.

Ardent
6 January 2004, 05:53 PM
It's mostly because Corran doesn't want to shoulder the responsibility. He's a father, and as far as he's concerned that's hard enough, and he's been a soldier, and done his duty. He has no qualms about teaching other Jedi about areas of the Force on which he's knowledgable, but he's never really taken on a protege.

Finally, and I think this is probably the biggest reason...Corran began his training in the middle of his life. He's a good Jedi, but he's never been particularly dedicated to the idea of being a Jedi.

However, there's no doubt Corran is the better man. Between his experience as an investigator and a soldier and snubjock, Corran is probably the most well-rounded member of the New Jedi Order, with the broadest perspective on any given situation.