PDA

View Full Version : A little outgunned

Kanner Ra'an
24 April 2003, 01:30 PM
Ok in an earlier thread (New Republic Firepower) the general concensious was the New Republic had around 20 000 good warships. But the new rerpublic has to contain millions of planets. Is their one ship for every 1000 planets. Doesnt this seem to small, especially considering that palpatine had twenty five thousand star destroyers alone, with who knows how many Strike, Carrack, etc. Also keep in mind that their seems to be no end of people who want to kill the NR.

Thoughts, or reasons why im wrong and this is appropriate?

Darth_Cassed
24 April 2003, 04:38 PM
The New Republic also does not want to seem like the Empire, they let people rely more on their own firepower, not to mention the Corporate Sector and all the other factions here. The Empire has its remnant, count those systems out, and the Chiss, the Si-Ruuk....

Nova Spice
24 April 2003, 08:14 PM
Thoughts, or reasons why im wrong and this is appropriate?
I'd be happy to oblige you! ;)

But the new rerpublic has to contain millions of planets.

It probably did; though the Vong invasion quickly whittled that number away.

Is their one ship for every 1000 planets.

Doubtful; the New Republic probably doesn't even possess more than a thousand planets by Force Heretic I: Remnant. Or rather the Galactic Alliance doesn't. So, the ratio is much higher now.

Doesnt this seem to small, especially considering that palpatine had twenty five thousand star destroyers alone, with who knows how many Strike, Carrack, etc.

If the Galactic Alliance (formerly known as the New Republic) has twenty thousand capital ships left, then no, that's massive IMO. The pounding they've taken in the four years of conflict has been mind-boggling!

Also keep in mind that their seems to be no end of people who want to kill the NR.

There's a shortage of those people now, considering that the New Republic no longer exists. :P

Sorry, it's late, but you asked if anyone cared to prove you wrong and here it goes! :D

-The New Republic (Galactic Alliance) only has three remaining shipyards. That's not even enough building power to build one ship for every one lost.
-For every one ship built, the NR (GA) loses two; on average.
-The Demilitarization Act put into effect after the treaty with the Empire significantly reduced the New Republic fleet. It wasn't until the Agents of Chaos duology that that act was repealed and the shipyards began producing again.
-The disaster at Fondor and the Battle of Coruscant resulted in thousands of destroyed NR ships which the NR never recovered from.
-The fact that a Fleet Group in Destiny's Way was comprised of only sixty ships tells me that the Galactic Alliance is suffering terribly in its starship shortage. And if you remember, there are only five fleet groups in the NR military, so therefore if every Fleet Group had sixty ships in it, that means the NR only has about three hundred caps still fighting (though I realize Farlander's force was much smaller than Kre'fey's or Bel Iblis').

So, in essence, the New Republic (Galactic Alliance) in no way possesses twenty thousand capital craft at this point. They don't even control twenty thousand systems, much less that many starships. ;)

Darth_Cassed
25 April 2003, 05:36 AM
Besides, the OId Republic had a lot less, and they maintained peace for thousands of years.

Kanner Ra'an
25 April 2003, 09:04 AM
Ok i was refering to earlier in the war. But what the hell. Heres another question. Why the sith would the NR decomision any of their ships? I mean i dont think thier navy was big enough to begin with, and as i said their are no end to those who wished to see the new republic die before the war.

Nova Spice IMHO i think your selling the GA short. They still control a large amount of the Galaxy but they have decided to concentrate their defenses on the three worlds, Corillia Kaut andMOn Calamari. Same goes for the fleet, my impression was the GA still had thousands of vessals. Around six thousand. Otherwise the Vong would assamblemaybe a 1000 capital ships and the war would be over. NO it has to be farmore thenthree thousand. Of course your the reconized expert not me.

As for the Old republic,they had ten thousaand Jedi. Plus the republic cloned an army the second war was a possibility.

starkiller210
21 May 2003, 06:23 AM
The New Republic might "contain" millions of planets, but most of them are Inhabitable, and not every planet needs a mon cal cruiser to defend them.

Nova Spice
21 May 2003, 07:27 AM
Ok i was refering to earlier in the war.

How much earlier Kanner? I might be able to give you a decent estimate if you have a general idea of the time. ;)

They still control a large amount of the Galaxy but they have decided to concentrate their defenses on the three worlds, Corillia Kaut andMOn Calamari.

Looking at the Galaxy map, I would have to disagree. The Vong have moved into the "second half" of the galaxy (ala Sullust, Hoth, Endor, etc.) without much opposition. Worlds have been capitulating since after Coruscant fell as shown by the Fia in Remnant. The Ryn that Tahiri met on Galantos also informed Leia that Belderone (which is in the Tion Cluster) and Firrerro (which is near the Moddell Sector and Endor) have also been conquered. Combine that with the recent fall of half of Imperial space, and you have the Vong controlling at least seventy percent of the galaxy with influence in about ninety percent. The GA is seriously outgunned and overwhelmed; I wonder how they will snatch victory from the jaws of defeat?

Anyway, if you're still interested, I think I can help you guesstimate about the NR fleet strength at an earlier point. :D

Darth_Cassed
21 May 2003, 08:04 AM
True, the New Republic has many planets with not that many ships. However they don't need to protect all of them. Break it down: does the U.S. have federal guards everywhere? You're forgetting local and private government and security. There's planetary shields, planetary turbolasers, and I'm sure the governments on these planets have their own defenses in terms of ships, if not the civilians. Corporations would also invest in these defenses, seeing as they have an interest in the planet.

CaamasiJedi49
24 May 2003, 09:46 AM
What a sec, Firrerro been un-inhabited. Why would they conquer a world that is disease filled( Check Cyrstal Star to see what I mean)?

Caamasi Jedi49

Kanner Ra'an
24 May 2003, 03:47 PM
How much earlier Kanner? I might be able to give you a decent estimate if you have a general idea of the time.

I was refering to around the start of the war, specifically around vector prime. I do know around this time the Bothans were expanding their fleet, and the new republic seemed to be upgrading, hence the new x-wings and ranger gunships.

What a sec, Firrerro been un-inhabited. Why would they conquer a world that is disease filled( Check Cyrstal Star to see what I mean)?

The vong are really good when it comes to that stuff. Probably they found a way to counteract the desease. The most likly explanation though is some author remembered it and decided to include it.

Nova Spice
25 May 2003, 01:14 PM

To be precise, the Ryn said that the Firrerro had been wiped; annihilated by the Vong and the traitorous Peace Brigade. And as Kanner pointed out, the Vong more than likely found a sinister method of "fixing" the disease-filled world.

I was refering to around the start of the war, specifically around vector prime. I do know around this time the Bothans were expanding their fleet, and the new republic seemed to be upgrading, hence the new x-wings and ranger gunships.

Ok, well this is gonna take some pretty decent mathematical skills, so hold on to your harness. ;)

From what we've read in Agents of Chaos, the NR leadership started churning out ships to double the current number within a year and half. That puts the timeline at Star by Star, and if I'm correct, there were three fleet groups that were called in to defend Coruscant. By previous posts in other threads I've deduced that there were close to five hundred thousand ships defending the capital world, including starfighters. Roughly two/thirds of the entire fleet was at Coruscant and about twenty percent of those at Coruscant were cap ships. That leaves about one hundred thousand cap ships defending Coruscant, which is two thirds of the entire fleet. That means at Star by Star, the entire fleet comprised of roughly one hundred and fifty thousand cap ships.

Balancing in losses from previous books before the directive to double the fleet, as well as the losses at Fondor. I would say that at Vector Prime, the entire fleet was about seventy-eight thousand ships strong. That's my best guesstimation. ;)

Kanner Ra'an
25 May 2003, 01:40 PM
Hmmm, that number sounds better. Thanks Nova.

CaamasiJedi49
29 May 2003, 03:09 PM
Hmmm, what do you mean wiped out. Do you mean like dovin basil Nova or something else?

Caamasi Jedi49

Nova Spice
29 May 2003, 04:16 PM
Hmmm, what do you mean wiped out. Do you mean like dovin basil Nova or something else?

I'm not sure exactly Caamasi; the Ryn wasn't very specific. All he told Han and Leia was that the Vong had wiped out the Firrerro (as a race of people and as a planet). It is unknown how or why the Vong and Peace Brigade targeted Firrero, but it's known that they did. The result was the extinction of the entire race and the planet. They may have pulled another Sernpidal...... :(

CaamasiJedi49
30 May 2003, 01:51 PM
The race was on a world neighboring Rishi, so the vong must have been busy. But, I did know the species was gone, but I never knew the planet went too with the vong. What can I say, You learn something new everyday.

Caamasi Jedi49:plokoon: