PDA

View Full Version : Gen. Dodonna

RevengeOssus87
25 April 2003, 04:27 AM
Yeah, well i heard there was this one general that Corran Horn tried to rescue when he was on the Lusankya, but the general wasn't there when the New Republic captured the ship. What happened to him (i know he appears in later books and all), and which book does he get rescued in?:?

Darth_Cassed
25 April 2003, 05:31 AM
I don't know what happened to him, but if you remember he wsa the general in RotJ with Leia and all them monitoring the battle. He was also in Rebellion.

Bombaatu
25 April 2003, 09:33 AM
Actually, Jan Dodanna was in ANH, not RotJ. He was the one who gave the pilots their briefing prior to them going against the DeathStar I.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
25 April 2003, 09:37 AM
As Bartelby told Loki at the beginning of Kevin Smith's Dogma: "You have to keep reading."

But first, Darth_Cassed seems to have gotten he's classic trilogy films mixed up when he said that Gen. Dodonna was in Return of the Jedi - Dodonna was the old guy in A New Hope that calls Leia Leea and gives the pilots breifing before the Death Star attack.

Now, he was captured just after the evacutation of Yavin 4 and wasn't rescued until just after the Thrawn trilogy in Stackpole's X-Wing book: Isard's Revenge.

Darth_Cassed
25 April 2003, 11:57 AM
Ooops, my bad. Got my end mixed up with my beginning, and as I think about it again it was ANH..... thanks Bombaatu and FrobiWanKenobi!!!

RotJ just happens to be one of my favorites....

Ardent
25 April 2003, 10:32 PM
Dodonna supposedly retired with most of the aging ex-Republic military officers who'd been Rebel commanders during the GCW. I dunno, what actually happened to the good General is one of those EU discrepencies.

Nova Spice
27 April 2003, 06:12 PM
Dodonna supposedly retired with most of the aging ex-Republic military officers who'd been Rebel commanders during the GCW. I dunno, what actually happened to the good General is one of those EU discrepencies.

In the novel Darksaber, Wedge Antilles commanded an Assault Frigate named the Dodonna. Most of the time, a ship is named after someone after they have passed away. I'm not implicating anything, but I do think it's not too far of a stretch to say good ole Jan passed away sometime between his rescue prior to the Thrawn crisis and the construction of the Darksaber battle station. B)

Kyndig_Episte
28 April 2003, 06:59 PM
as far as i know dodonna is still alive during the yuzong vong invasion. there hasen't been any mention of him dying yet. in fact chewie and general madine are the only people from the movies to have actually die in the novels. madine dies in the very horrible novel darksaber and chewie dies in the first book of the njo storyline.

Nova Spice
29 April 2003, 07:19 AM
as far as i know dodonna is still alive during the yuzong vong invasion.

Hmm, very doubtful IMO. Dodonna was over sixty years old in ANH. Tack on another twenty-five years and you have someone in their early to mid nineties. Besides, his last known appearance in the EU was in the Jedi Academy trilogy, which took place fourteen years before the beginning of the NJO.

Now, I do know that General Rieekan was alive up to Star by Star in the NJO, as he commanded the ground defenses of Coruscant when it fell. I'm not sure if he ever made it off, but he had just come out of retirement.

in fact chewie and general madine are the only people from the movies to have actually die in the novels

You forgot one. Mon Mothma also passed away in her sleep a few years before the beginning of Vector Prime. ;)

Ardent
29 April 2003, 08:02 AM
I may be thinking a bit out in left field, but doesn't Jabba's majordomo die in one of the Tales novels? Now I know he was "brought back" so to speak...just curious if anyone else remembers that. ;)

Faraer
29 April 2003, 09:25 AM
The New Essential Guide to Characters has a two-page entry on General Dodonna. Here's the last paragraph:
After the Gray Cadre helped topple the resurrected Emperor, General Dodonna went into retirement on New Alderaan. Eventually he passed away, leaving behind a lifelong legacy stretching from the Old Republic to the New.(The book's written from the point of view of 27 ABY.)

Kyndig_Episte
29 April 2003, 02:20 PM
ok i mustof missed that part in the entry for dodonna in the new essential guide. thanks. i didn't know that mon mothma had died. thanks for informing me.

Trandoshan Jedi
29 April 2003, 02:48 PM
Actulally in Galatic Battlegrounds he gets killed by Vader.

Kyndig_Episte
1 May 2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Trandoshan Jedi
Actulally in Galatic Battlegrounds he gets killed by Vader.

actually he doesn't, he is just severly injured. i just completed that mission recently. great game by the way.

hisham
4 May 2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Ardent
I may be thinking a bit out in left field, but doesn't Jabba's majordomo die in one of the Tales novels? Now I know he was "brought back" so to speak...just curious if anyone else remembers that. ;)

Yeah. Bib Fortuna escaped the sail barge carnage and returned to the palace, only to be trapped and de-brained by those B'omarr monks (the brain-in-the-spider-walker things.)

In X-wing: Battleground Tatooine, Firith Olan, another Twi'lek, was in charge of the palace and making deals with the Empire. He kept the Bib Fortuna brain droid around tormenting him constantly. Then, thanks to the Battle for the Eidolon Base with Rogue Squadron, a defeated Firith ran and was confronted by Fortuna, who used the B'omarr technology to switch brains with Firith.

In the end, Bib Fortuna walked once more in a Twi'lek's body, albeit not his own.

After that I know not of his fate. Does anyone know what happened to him thereafter?

Ardent
5 May 2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by hisham
After that I know not of his fate. Does anyone know what happened to him thereafter?

No. One of those loose ends I should think. I pondered using him as a minor crimelord to challenge my players, but that idea was junked for a better one. ;)

hisham
5 May 2003, 08:46 AM
Acknowledged, Ardent :)

Back to ol' Jan, personally I thought he owed his existense to post-ROTJ literature to what I initially thought as a continuity glitch in the Dark Empire comics where he first appeared after his sacrifice during the Yavin evacuation all those years ago in the funny pages. I guess someone stopped and said, "Wait a second!" and they had to come up with a retconned reason for that.

Originally posted by Nova Spice

Hmm, very doubtful IMO. Dodonna was over sixty years old in ANH. Tack on another twenty-five years and you have someone in their early to mid nineties. Besides, his last known appearance in the EU was in the Jedi Academy trilogy, which took place fourteen years before the beginning of the NJO.

I recently did a calculation of Garm bel Iblis' age during Star by Star. He was the Corellian representative of the Old Republic senate just before AOTC. I would guess his age would be at the very least 30 by his picture in the HolonetNews.com article. Now add 20 years to bring him to ANH. Add another 10 to bring him to the Thrawn trilogy; plus an additional 15 years into the NJO (approx figures, of course)

Garm was at least 75 when he was commanding his fleet group during the NJO! :)

Ardent
5 May 2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by hisham
Garm was at least 75 when he was commanding his fleet group during the NJO! :)

Very plausible. The surly old Corellian came out of retirement to command that fleet group. Ackbar is near-abouts that age as well and his health is failing fast. Of course, Bel Iblis has the Corellian lifestyle keeping him alive...what with all the vices and still living to see 90...it's an Irish thing. ;)

Actually, I think Wedge is probably the youngest fleet group commander at...what is he now? 50-something. Kre'fey is a little bit older from what I remember.

Dea-Ev Dacal
15 May 2003, 07:58 PM
When Corran Horn met Dodonna on the Lusankya, the book mentioned how ancient he looked, so I'm guessing he was a very old man by that point in time. I don't see him living too long after that. Maybe another 5 years, a decade if you really want to stretch it.
E.D.

Nova Spice
15 May 2003, 08:06 PM
When Corran Horn met Dodonna on the Lusankya, the book mentioned how ancient he looked, so I'm guessing he was a very old man by that point in time. I don't see him living too long after that. Maybe another 5 years, a decade if you really want to stretch it.

Agreed; and it's been established that he died fairly shortly after the Jedi Academy was founded on Yavin. Dodonna had a ship named after him by Darksaber, so I believe he would have perished only a few months after Kyp vaped Carida.