PDA

View Full Version : Could it be?!?!? Is it Her?!?!?!?

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
25 April 2003, 08:05 PM
So check out the cover of The Final Prophecy (http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2003/04/news20030425_1.html).

Now, while I am pretty sure that Tahiri is the girl in the foreground, Yim the Shaper Heretic to the left, and Nom Anor to the right - When I first saw it I instantly thought Callista.

The New Jedi Order has tied in nearly all of the other sections of the EU - Thracken Sal-Solo from the Corellian Trilogy, Corran, the Rogues, the Wraiths from the X-Wing books, Zekk, Lowbacca, Ir'kit and Tahiri from the young adult books, Baron Fel's son Jagged (well, it's a long jump but it's there), Ta'a Chume, Teneniel Djo and Isolder from Courtship, Vergere, Pellaeon from all the Zahn books plus a few others, Yeventha and Fia from Black Fleet Crisis, soon the Ssi-Ruu from Truce will be contacted, plus more. Isn't it time for Callista to show up? Who doesn't want to see how she reacts to Luke and Mara?

Anyway, just a random thought . . . Anyone else?

Codym
25 April 2003, 08:41 PM
Nah, look at the author. It will be Tahiri, and Keyes will be clearing up the mess he left behind in his lame Edge of Victory duology. Having Callista turn up, if at least to kill her off, would be fine, but if the character was going to show, I think the would have shown by now. BTW, I doubt Luke or Mara would have problem with her. Luke's feeling towards her never seemed more than being a good samaratin and helping her gain her powers back.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
25 April 2003, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I know it's Tahiri but I guy can hope can't he?

But, you might want to reread the 'Callista Trilogy' (Children of the Jedi, Darksaber, & Planet of Twilight) if you think that Luke didn't have strong feelings for her. Several times in the first two books they expressed very strong feelings for each other. And in between the second and third Luke spends 8 entire months just searching the galaxy for her I think that goes a little farther than "being a good samaratin" as you put it. Now, we are talking about the same Mara who when she found out about the Emperor having other Hands went ballistic. And if Callista had regained her ability to use the Force than she would want a relationship with Luke like they discussed in CotJ, & Darksaber.

Codym
26 April 2003, 02:09 AM
They expressed strong feelings, yes, but I never got the impression that it was anything but curiousity and sympathy from Luke, who never seemed sure of how he felt about her, especially concidering how abstract their first contact was. I know a lot of people like to believe "she was the one" for Luke, but there relationship, as depicted in those three novels, was going nowhere fast. Even despite attempts to sabotage it by authors like KJA (with his infamous Mara/Lando coupling,) Mara and Luke's relationship was always stronger and more interesting, even when they refused to admit they had one.

As for Mara, her reaction to the whole Emperor's Hand thing was understandable, because she had been conditioned to believe that was the most important part of her life. She's grown up since then, and the Mara Jade currently in the NJO would have no problem if Callista showed up, unless Callista made it a problem.

BTW, why does Tahiri have Qui-Gon's lightsaber?

Jim Williams
26 April 2003, 04:20 AM
I agree with Frobi that they were heading for something very serious. However, I can't imagina Luke or Mara falling into the ex-S.O. showing up ohmygosh my life's going to turn upside down while I think of "what might have been".

Man, it would be good to see Callista. Daala too.

Master Tryka
26 April 2003, 11:32 AM
Ya, I gotta throw in with Frobi on this one too. All you gotta do is look at the ending of Darksaber. Luke was all choked up that he'd lost her during the ceremony for the defeat of Daala and whatnot, and then he gets the message cylinder and he more or less proclaims how hes willing to wait for her and let her refind herself.

Dan Kyrinov
26 April 2003, 04:10 PM
Though I didn't think Callista at first, it didn;t say Tahiri to me either. Where are the scars that mark her forehead? She kept those ever since the Kwaad domain inflicted them. Of course, a lot of cosmetic reconstructive surgery can happen over the Force Heretic books.

If Callista did return, Greg Keyes would be the man I would want to handle it. But I doubt she will, because this late in the game, I think the NR era tie-ins will slow down. Final Prophecy has to set up the last hardcover. At the same time, Luceno probably has very little freedom writing that finale. It's been practically scripted for him. So if Callista is coming in, the paperbacks in this year are our last hope.

If Callista does return... remember the scene in Darksaber where Mara and Callista met? Cold yet civil. Greg's good at that kind of dialogue, take Remis Vehn and Anakin for instance. I think Mara and Luke would stay the course, Callista will have moved on, and everyone will be cold and civil.

Tash Horn
26 April 2003, 05:11 PM
well i hate to burst your bouble on this one but it is Tahiri, if you read the little preview it says in the last paragraph that it's Tahiri

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
26 April 2003, 06:51 PM
Well, Tash Horn you aren't bursting anyone's bubble since no one has posted it wasn't Tahiri. Others, including myself, thought that it might have been someone else but that it pobably wasn't them.

Now, while we are on the topic of upcoming NJO book covers who's on the Refugee (http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2003/01/news20030130_1.html) & Reunion (http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2003/01/news20030130_2.html) covers?

In another thread the Ssi-Ruu was pointed out but who's the person with the Lightsaber on Refugee?

Does the title Reunion bring the Aunt Beru's song back to anyone's mind?

Through dying suns and midnights grim,
And treachery, and faith gone dim,
Whatever dark the world may send,
Still lovers meet at journey's end.

If there's an end to the EU (chronologically that is) is coming up fast.

Master Tryka
26 April 2003, 07:20 PM
call me crazy, but to take off from Frobi, what is Reunion, that tri-headed thing or whatever in the middle, if the female face would be on of Callista, and Reunion title could support this.

Aaron B'Aviv
26 April 2003, 07:20 PM
I'm not clear on why you're down on Edge of Victory Duology, Codym. In my opinion, the second book of Edge of Victory was when NJO started to become good.

Yeah, about Callista? Well, I hated the Hambly books and Darksaber was uninspired, and didn't do much with Callista anyway. I don't really like Callista too much. But I think I could handle her in a small dose. A minor appearance would be pretty neat, I think. And I trust Greg Keyes more than I trust Barbara Hambly or KJA.

Daala, I'm a little more enthusiastic about wishing back. While her tactics aren't particularly subtle, she brings an energetic, forceful leadership to the Imps. I want to see her clash with Pellaeon. That would be interesting to see. Remember how Pellaeon, a mere Vice-Admiral, conspired with her to bump off all the other warlords? How would he view Daala now?

And as far as I know, if the NR (yes, i know it's not the NR anymore. I refuse to call it the Galactic Alliance. i've called it the NR for too damn long. and there was never really a good explanation for the name change, except for boredom on the part of the authors) so much as sniffs Daala, they'll go after her full force. The NR's bigwigs don't like Daala at all. They spent quite a while hunting for her after she disappeared. How does the Empire's treaties with the NR change this?

Iain Kysler, Jedi Apprentice
27 April 2003, 05:19 PM
Alright. If you look closely, you CAN see something on the forehead. My guess: Tahiri. Though I don't know much about Callista, or whatever her name is...I know she has NOT shown up yet, and that Tahiri is definitely being set up for something in Force Heretic: Remnant.

Oh boy...two days, then the second book of Force Heretic is supposed to be out...

Oh boy!

Ardent
27 April 2003, 05:38 PM
Erm, it is Tahiri for certain. Follow the link backwards and read the last paragraph. I hope I'm not bursting any bubbles...

Nova Spice
27 April 2003, 06:25 PM
Nah, look at the author. It will be Tahiri, and Keyes will be clearing up the mess he left behind in his lame Edge of Victory duology.

As my infamous AP English teacher would say: "If you cannot go into specifics, you cannot prove your point."

What about the EoV duology was lame? :raised:

Anyway, about the cover; this is the first time I've seen it. It's interesting to think it might not be Tahiri, but it most definitely is. Personally I hope they keep Callista out of the NJO and work with the characters already in place; too many different directions at this point will leave an unfulfilled ending.

If there's an end to the EU (chronologically that is) is coming up fast.

Agreed. I expressed this very same feeling in another thread. ;)