PDA

View Full Version : Pretty new at this...

TuskenJedi
6 May 2003, 02:20 PM
I am really quite new to roleplaying...I've really only just become a Star Wars fan recently, too. But with me, when it rains, it pours: With the first NJO book I got hooked and here I am with a whole bookcase shelf dedicated to SW. I have the entire X-wing series books, all the NJO's and a lot of others too, but that is besides the point: I have only recently had time between lacrosse and olympic preparitory team soccer to discover roleplaying in Star Wars. I got the revised core rulebook and i am developing a Calibop Jedi character. I really dont know, though, how to play with others. I would really appreciate it if anyone here can give me any hints on how to play the game and what is required to do so. Thank you.:)

TuskenJedi
6 May 2003, 02:22 PM
I forgot to add that I am interested in using d20. maybe that'll help....i dunno.

Wade Trenor
6 May 2003, 03:54 PM
Thankfully, nearly all my friends are science fiction fans, and that almost makes them Star Wars fans by default. Anyway, a few of us had started to lose contact with one another as we started University or Tech.

As a way to see each other on a regular basis, a we decided that we could use roleplaying as an excuse for meeting up. It hasn't always worked out, but I haven't lost touch with any of my friends since we started gaming.

You may not be quite so fortunate, but I'm sure there are others in your local area that have the same interests as you. Search for gaming groups at Universities nearby, visit gaming stores, and check out their bulletin boards to see if there are groups looking for players, or games being run by the store. You could even post here asking if there are players in your local area.

Crin Daroota
6 May 2003, 10:36 PM
I'm sure there are more than a few threads in d20 Discussion or SWRPG Discussion that deal with "New Players." Heck you could classify most of my threads that way since I only started playing in the last year myself :)

That said, all I can advise you to do (besides finding some open-minded people who are willing to give something new a try, if you can't join an established group) is to know your combat rules fairly well, your character creation rules better, and remember that if it isn't fun, you're doing somethign wrong! :) Feel free to change the rules (with your group) if you run into something you don't like or doesn't "feel right" to you. Be patient with others and they will usually be patient with you as a new guy. I joined a group of guys that had been playing for 5-15 years! Now that's intimidating! But they were cool with me coming in as a newbie (most people recognize this is a necessity to keep their hobby going) and were patient, and helped explain things to me. Now I play almost as well as the rest of 'em if I do say so myself. :)

If we haven't helped ya yet, try to be a little more specific and I'm sure the HoloNetters as a whole will answer your questions better. Welcome to a great hobby I'm only beginning to explore myself! B)

coldskier0320
7 May 2003, 03:26 AM
I'd like to chime in here too, as a player in the 2-5 year category (i think 3 for d20, in freeform, well, too long;) ) But if you have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM. This should have been in General or the d20 forum, but thats OK, you didnt know, and the moderators are really nice:D . Anyway, hope to hear from ya!

Jacen13
8 May 2003, 03:48 PM
I'm going to post here since this topic's already open. Is there any goog-guy/ light grey-light campaign that needs a player. I'm pretty new to this, but I own the RCRB, POTJ, A&E, SOTG, & RES. If there is no new campaigns, is there a campaign accepting extra members?

Crin Daroota
8 May 2003, 06:35 PM
It's not really the right place to recruit, in someone else's thread, but since you asked, all are welcome to join IAOP in this forum. PM me with any questions you might have.