PDA

View Full Version : Luminaya

TuskenJedi
10 May 2003, 03:58 PM
I just finished reading X-Wing: Isard's Revenge by Michael A. Stackpole (anyone notice how obsessed he is with Corran?) and in concordance with the reams of info on Ysanne Isard, I looked up in the New Essential Guide to Characters (or whatever) to read up more on her. As I closed the book, my page fell on Mara Jade Skywalker, and as I paged through her info I saw Isard's name in it and read through it. It said something like this "Mara built a violet lightsaber to replace the one she had lost on the run from Isard and Luminaya." (something like that:D ) So i got to wondering:
1.) When was that (between what events)
2.) When did Mara even have a lightsaber pre-husbandage to Luke?
3.) Who is Luminaya?
4.) How are Isard and Luminaya connected, and what happened?

Anyway anyone could help me here? I'd appreciate it much. And....anyone realize how annoying when the evil villain says something like "Now my evil plan comes into effect!" for the millionth time in that book? Oh well, it was good anyway.

Codym
10 May 2003, 04:16 PM
The story they are referring to is Mara Jade: Emperor's Hand, by Tim Zahn and Mike Stackpole for Dark Horse comics. It's availible in graphic novel form, but it's been far too long since I read it to answer your question with any accuracy, other than yes she had a lightsaber pre-Luke and that it happens before Mara's first meeting with Talon Karrde. Hopefully someone on the board will clear this up.

And Stackpole isn't exactly "obsessed" with Corran. He's his creator, and X-Wing was his chance to add a new, non-movie hero to the SW mythos. Otherwise, you might have to accuse Zahn of being Thrawn and Mara Jade obsessed, or Lucas of being Luke obsessed. :)

Nova Spice
10 May 2003, 06:01 PM
1.) When was that (between what events)

I believe, as Codym mentioned, it occurred sometime shortly after Endor, though I honestly haven't read the comic, so the exact time period is lost on me.

2.) When did Mara even have a lightsaber pre-husbandage to Luke?

Well considering that Mara was an Emperor's Hand, I would say she had one well before Return of the Jedi. Haven't you read the Thrawn Trilogy? She encountered Luke many a time in that series and wielded a blue lightsaber blade.

3.) Who is Luminaya?

The correct pronunciation is Lumiya. She, like Mara Jade, was an Emperor's Hand. After Palpatine's death, she went her separate ways from the established rulers of the Empire, setting her sights on her own agenda. She is the only known Emperor's Hand besides Mara to still be alive during the New Jedi Order. She also wielded a shock-whip that was quite deadly to her opponents.

4.) How are Isard and Luminaya connected, and what happened?

Not sure if they are connected. They might have worked together briefly after Palpatine's death at Endor. Lumiya probably agreed to some operations for Isard; it would be plausible considering Isard ran Imperial Intelligence and Lumiya was a secret assassin.

Aaron B'Aviv
12 May 2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by TuskenJedi
I just finished reading X-Wing: Isard's Revenge by Michael A. Stackpole (anyone notice how obsessed he is with Corran?)

Actually, Stackpole's archetypal hero is molded roughly on the lines of Corran. If you read his non-SW stuff, you'll see that in most of his stories, the hero is very similar emotionally and mentally. They're always smart, strong warriors. They tend toward a rather naive outlook on love. They're usually plagued by a mixture of self-doubt and overconfidence. And they're as fond of winning fights through trickery as they are of winning them through combat prowess.

I guess Stackpole can't work with another type of hero, which may be why Corran features so prominently in his work. Not that I object. I happen to like Corran a lot.

hisham
12 May 2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by TuskenJedi
3.) Who is Luminaya?

Lumiya used to be one Shira Ellan Colla Brie, Luke's wingmate sometime after Hoth, who appeared to have been killed. After the Battle Of Endor, Lumiya first appeared as just another full-bodied cyborged chicky to Leia ona diplomatic mission to Herdessa. During the full-scale Nagai invasion on Kinooine, Luke faced off and was defeated by Lumiya, who proclaimed herself the Dark Lady of the Sith. Later, Luke had a rematch which tore the helmet off Lumiya to reveal Shira Brie's face.

Although it wasn't stated that Lumiya/Shira Brie was an Emperor's Hand, it was retconned by WOTC to give it better continuity. And it does make some sense, I suppose.

Tramp
18 May 2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Nova Spice

Well considering that Mara was an Emperor's Hand, I would say she had one well before Return of the Jedi. Haven't you read the Thrawn Trilogy? She encountered Luke many a time in that series and wielded a blue lightsaber blade.

Actually, Mara's Ligtsaber, while she was Emperor's Hand, was magenta in color. she also had a new magenta-bladed one, that she had previously built, during SW Union, even though she stilll had Luke's old blue one as well. She uses Luke's old blue lightsaber more often during the NJO rather than her own for some reason.