PDA

View Full Version : Why critics opinions don't matter!

Dea-Ev Dacal
10 May 2003, 08:48 PM
RANT:
YOU know what, I used to think that a critics opinion held a bit of sway, that was until TPM and AOTC came out. The bad reviews flooded the media, critics nitpicked at every little thing they could. They have expectations for these movies that george lucas could never possibly live up to, no man could. They want something beyond extraordinary (which in my opinion, all SW movies are anyway) and didn't think they got it! So what do they do, they try to find every flaw they can, like "ooh, look at that there was a tiny glitch in the background effects on Geonosis, so lets say the graphics suck and rate Harry Potters graphics the best ever (yeah right I read the reviews and saw both movies and there is no way you can tell me that those graphics are even close as good to any of the SWs.). Sorry about my incoherent thoughts and pointless rant, but I started thinking about it and it @^%%#$ me of so much that I just had to do this. Critics rating some of the geatest movies ever (and i'm not just including SW but many other great movies that deserved more) so badly, and rate these crappy run of the mill action flicks, and rip-off chick-flicks (seen maid in manhattan yet? Theres a movie from the mid-sixties with sandra dee that is so eerily reminiscent that it is pathetic) with 5 stars and two thumbs up. I could go on forever so i'm going to quit while i'm ahead. Really sorry about this, I'll try not to do it again, but thats why this is the rants n raves forum.

E.D.

Crin Daroota
10 May 2003, 09:17 PM
Critics? What are those?

...oh yeah, those whiney little film school bastards that I stopped listening to a decade ago. Why? Because they're wrong as much as they're right, if you never noticed. So just flip a coin, it'll be as good as their opinion. Heck a "magic eight ball" might even come close.

"Will Episode 3 be worth my nine bucks?"
*shake shake shake*
--Probably--
"Cool, I'll go see it then. Wait a sec--I would see it either way. Ripoff eight ball!"
*throws out the window, it falls and beans a critic*
"Well, eight ball, you seem to have redeemed yourself."

It's just like everything else, man. There are reasonable people and then there are people who think they know everything about everything, and gotta tell ya. Critics, of all types (art, music, film, etc.) are in the latter category. I'd much rather just ask my (reasonable) buddy who saw it a few days before, or if it's big like SW or the Matrix, I'll trust my own judgement and go see it. :)

Jedi_Staailis
10 May 2003, 09:19 PM
Yes and no. Those who claim that Star Wars, in general, has weak acting and dialog have a point. While I don't think the acting is as stiff as some make it out to be (for example, I'm a strong defender of the idea that Anakin's bumbling romance is intentional, not bad script writing), none of the Star Wars movies are on the caliber of truly great acting.

That said, I have absolutely no tolerance for those who call the special effects of Star Wars weak. There is nothing, nothing, out there are even comes close to the scope and excecution that Star Wars demonstrates. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers? Weak use of bluescreen. X2? The jet doesn't even come close to blending into the environment. Harry Potter? Give me a break.

Many point out obvious special effects shots ("That looks so CG") as if they were a flaw. In general, these are the grand shots that could not be accomplished in any other way. When ILM applies the same techniques to smaller scale items, things that could be accomplished with the use of props, it's almost never noticed. That's how good the effects are.

George Lucas, in my opinion, does a wonderful job of giving everybody a little of what they want. It's the best he can do with his massive target audience.

maid in manhattan yet?
Why? Why did I let them convince me to see that?! I think I was permanently scarred by that movie.

Crin Daroota
10 May 2003, 11:09 PM
I know why I saw "Maid." You can only take your gal to so many war and sci-fi movies before she starts saying things like "Why don't we watch a chick-flick sometime, too?" Oof, I had forgotten how painful that could be. "Maid" reminded me.

Dea-Ev Dacal
10 May 2003, 11:10 PM
Oh yes I forgot to mention, If you havn't seen maid in manhattan yet don't (sorry if you liked it).
E.D.

Tossk
11 May 2003, 09:24 AM
I agree. I don't pay them any attention, unl;ess they're thrashing my favorite movies: Matrix, Star Wars, etc. I might have gotten the link of of someone's sig here, but I pity their lack of vision. They must be blind and deaf to mistake Trinity for a guy! 8o They claim bad acting, and only those AotC love scenes even hinted at cheeseyness. I watch preveiws and come up with my own decisons on the movies I want to spend my money on. The only good thing that critic could say about the Matrix was pleather. They wouldn't shut up about the frikkin' clothes. CLOTHES!!! c'mon, really; they can't see the genius in the plot, the graphics, and the acting, they blabber on about pleather and it's future as the ultimate material. AotC is just stunning in it's graphics, and it was more than I expected in everything but lenght. I wanted 3 more hours for my butt to fall off!!! :) I felt abandoned, because I wanted more Clone Wars! :D

Darth_Cassed
11 May 2003, 11:52 AM
I never liked critics....don't need them telling me what I like and what's good...I'll decide for myself thank you.

starkiller210
11 May 2003, 04:53 PM
Its like weather men there always wrong.....

....Unless they say Episode three rocks!!!!!!!

(sorry to all weather men and women.):P

Puck
11 May 2003, 08:59 PM
I've found that the best way to deal with critics is to find one that you absolutely LOATHE - that thinks every movie you've ever liked is CRAP - then, whenever they give a film a bad review, you KNOW you're gonna like it!

:D

Lucius
19 May 2003, 08:02 PM
Sorry guys, but there are are one or two points were I disagree.

Firstly, and I need to get this off my chest, Hayden Christensen did a bad job of playing Anakin Skywalker. Firstly, I see no resemblence with him or any of the other actors of played the character. Through the movie he consistenly sounds bratty. "It's all Obi-Wan's fault(even though he's in no-way involved in this scene)!" "I will become a great Jedi!" Then back to the flat line, robot like, diolauge. "Hello master."

The only time Hayden even remoted protrayed the look of a young boy slowly letting his anger consume him was the Tusken Raider scene. And he had next to no lines in that.

His love scenes don't cut it either. They seem forced, like someone behind him was saying "Now you be a good boy and kiss the nice lady." Every time that kid says a line I cringe. They seriously need to find someone better to play Anakin.

Now before you all start yell NERF! There was also some great actors. Ewin rocked my socks yet again with his portrayal of Obi-Wan. The guy is golden.

Samuel L. Jackson was badass as always as Mace. Even though it felt like Lucas put him in at the last moment.

But yeah, my biggest beef is Hayden. He's a rookie, and he clearly shows that in AotC. Why on earth was he picked?

Faraer
20 May 2003, 06:24 AM
I've read a few negative critiques of SW which are quite sensible and coherent on their own terms. But you find someone who understands filmmaking, science fiction, fantasy and mythology, who can watch childlike and not as someone who has to sit through three more films that day, who is open-minded and intelligent and culturally perceptive, who is more interested in writing about movies than about themselves, and they can write a reasonable review of a SW film. Otherwise not. The closeness of the reviews of Episodes IV and I -- the 'special effects are destroying Hollywood' crap as if movies were supposed to be stage plays on a big screen and Méliès had never lived -- is enough proof of that.

Alexander Walker's Evening Standard review of The Matrix didn't show any understanding that there were two levels of reality in the film. Theatre reviews which suggest the reviewer didn't see the thing aren't rare. It's pretty hopeless. But like the medieval style of argument by precedent, a lot of weak-minded people like their 'opinions' to be ones that are in print.

ShinDangaioh
8 June 2003, 07:34 PM
I read the critiques by David Brin leveled against the various Star Wars films.

He didnt go after the special effects or the wooden acting. He went straight to the flaws in the storyline and unreasonable expectations.

Type 'David Brin Star Wars' into the Yahoo! search engine and you'll find his reviews. Interesting reading. Yoda is evil. The Empire is a force of goodness.

He is not a film critic, he's a science fiction author. You might not agree with hi, but it is still interesting reading.