PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best fighter pilot

starkiller210
11 May 2003, 03:57 PM
I feel like making polls so tell me who your favorite pilot is living or dead.

I'd say it's got to be Hobbie he's hilarius!!!:raised:

Rogue Janson
11 May 2003, 04:21 PM
Um, do you really need to ask?

Wedge tests out Wes' fitness to command in his absence:

"Ok Janson, here's the situation: an Adumari noble comes up to you and requests political asylum in the New Republic. What do you do?"

"Is she good looking?"

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
11 May 2003, 04:30 PM
I've got to put a stipulation down before I answer - this is the best Non-Force User Pilot.

Tycho, any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Most of the books mention how clean his shots are and how controlled his flight patterns are. Wedge notes that he thinks Tycho goes easy on him during sims because he knows that it's Wedge he's flying against. Wedge is a very close second though.

Best Force User Pilot - Corran Horn.

starkiller210
11 May 2003, 04:48 PM
Tycho, the best pilot......
In star fighters of adumar he gets "shot down" (using simulated weapons) by Hobbie, is shot down in the Battle of Cartann, and is disabled in the final battle.......
........... he sure is the best

and I would have to say Jaina solo is the best force using pilot and Corran second with Luke right on his heals.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
11 May 2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by starkiller210
Tycho, the best pilot......
In star fighters of adumar he gets "shot down" (using simulated weapons) by Hobbie, is shot down in the Battle of Cartann, and is disabled in the final battle.......
........... he sure is the best

If I remember correctly, weren't they outnumbered, plus he was flying craft that he only had a small amount of flight hours logged, and aren't Blade's a lot less maneuverable than the TIE Interceptors that the Imperials were flying?

Technically, Hobbie is dead. He died during the Battle of Hoth by crashing his snowspeeder into an AT-AT. However, he was written into the Rogue Squadron Comics. How he was 'resurrected' is that the authors of the comic didn’t check the continuity well enough (which is bound to happen a couple times in a universe as large as the EU) and Stackpole believes that: “Hobbie did crash at some point in the Hoth combat, but survived after a considerable amount of bacta treatment.” Also many of the other Alliance pilots said that, “Hobbie enjoyed bacta baths too much, and that he could crash any starship he touched.”

While this is everyone's own thought on the subject there really isn't any need to be condescending to other members about their choices.

Darth_Cassed
11 May 2003, 06:13 PM
I'd say Jagged Fel, but he;s not Rebellion era

Nova Spice
11 May 2003, 06:33 PM
I think Wedge Antilles carries the cake on this poll IMO. He's the only pilot to survive both Death Star assaults and was the co-founder of Rogue Squadron. He brought down the first walker at Hoth and was also personally responsible for opening Coruscant up for a Rebel invasion. His leadership capabilities allowed him to help bring down Isard as well as lead Rogue Squadron through campaigns against Zsinj, Thrawn, Daala, and Pellaeon. I would have to say that Wedge is undoubtedly the greatest starfighter pilot in the entire Star Wars saga.

Ardent
11 May 2003, 07:34 PM
As far as pure talent for flying goes at the peak of their careers, it's a toss up between Tycho Celchu and Soontir Fel. The nod would go to Tycho, but Soontir Fel was his instructor at the Academy, so Fel gets the nod. He's the tragic hero of the Rebellion IMHO, and one of my favorite personalities in Star Wars.

Sasche
11 May 2003, 08:57 PM
I hate to go with the old tag line, but...
Any pilot who survives 2 attacks on death stars...

I have to go with Wedge.

wolverine
11 May 2003, 10:08 PM
ME!!!!

Second place, Fel - soonir
Third, Tycho
Forth, Wedge
fifth, Jagged fel

Forse users

1st
Luke
Jaina
Corran

Codym
11 May 2003, 11:46 PM
Force using pilots: Luke Skywalker.

Non-Force using pilot: Wedge Antillies.

Overall, I'd vote Wedge, simply for his unbeatable track record in the cockpit, and the fact that he doesn't have the Force to help him along.

Sarge
12 May 2003, 07:46 AM
Start with technical expertise and natural talent in anything that flies, add experience, The Force, more experience, cybernetic enhancements, and more experience. Too bad for him that he didn't have competent wingmen at Yavin.

Since we're dealing with SW and good has to overcome evil, it's pretty much a given that Vader would lose to a hero. But, that hero is going to have to beat some pretty hefty odds to wax Vader.

Sherman Shipyards
12 May 2003, 02:08 PM
Um, do you really need to ask?

Wedge tests out Wes' fitness to command in his absence:

"Ok Janson, here's the situation: an Adumari noble comes up to you and requests political asylum in the New Republic. What do you do?"

"Is she good looking?"

Yub, Yub commader.

Darth Fury
12 May 2003, 06:43 PM
as the poll reflects its a very close tie between Han and Wedge for the best non-jedi-enhanced pilots

Lucas Carr
13 May 2003, 03:48 AM
I voted Corran Horn, but it is close between some of them...

King Chewie
13 May 2003, 06:22 AM
Han is the best fighter pilot how can you go wrong with a first mate like chewie. He outruns the imperials almost every time and has time record on the kessel run no one else can compare.:hansolo:

Rogue Janson
13 May 2003, 09:40 AM
Yeah, but Han doesn't actually fly fighters very often, even though he can make a transport handle like a fighter.

I think everyone's getting hung up on the whole 'flying fighters' thing. There's so much more that's important in a starfighter pilot - wit and good looks for a start.

Sherman Shipyards
13 May 2003, 10:26 AM
Let's what until 30 people vote before we start debating too much. Other wise one person votes and their choice jumps foward 10 %

DrakeRunner
15 May 2003, 04:25 PM
Wedge no contest. Half of those guys have the Force on their side, and that doesn't count when you can simply tear out your opponent's controls or physically PUSH your ship faster than it can go. Han is an okay pilot, but that also has to do with his mostly illegal ship, while Wedge's X-wing is mass produced. Wedge flies near-constantly, which can degrade your skills and abilites, while during the New Republic Era, Han barely flies at all, and its usually routine jobs.

starkiller210
17 May 2003, 05:50 AM
I guess nobody cares for the pilots of Wraith Squadren.:(

Ardent
17 May 2003, 07:37 AM
Wraith Squadron has it's place and, as those of us who play SpecOps campaigns know, it's not in a starfighter's cockpit. They're a crack IntelOp team, though. ;)

Sasche
17 May 2003, 07:53 AM
I agree. While Wraith Squadron is still "above average" when it comes to X-wing piloting. Their true strengths lie in other fields. They are a Spec Ops squadron who also flies X-wings.
Frankly, I like their stories alot. It is their well-roundedness which makes them more enjoyable.

But when you are ranking the BEST pilots, they don't really stand a chance.

Nova Spice
17 May 2003, 09:18 AM
But when you are ranking the BEST pilots, they don't really stand a chance.

Agreed. As much as I love Face, Kell, Elassar, and Piggy, they're no where near the list of "Best Starfighter Pilots." Notice that in the Enemy Lines duology and Destiny's Way, the Wraiths flew "snoop" X-wings meant to relay information to other forces in the area as opposed to fighting. If things went bad, the Wraiths who were the first ones in, would also have the capability to be the first ones out. ;)

Lord Kjeran
17 May 2003, 04:47 PM
Chello!

I voted for Han, but my real answer (at least for Force Users) is Lord Vader. You know, Lord Vader.....took out a Droid Control Ship at 9, Winner of the Boota Eve Open, only Human able to pod race....

Tony

Master Tryka
18 May 2003, 08:12 AM
Nova's tagline says it all,

"You're good, but you're no Luke Skywalker"
-Commander Wedge Antilles

I'm not going to argue between Wedge and Luke, and this whole, without the Force Luke is slightly above average and Wedge is great without it. Wedge IS great, but Skywalker does have the Force with him, and until someone figures out how to bottle a ysalamiri and shoot it at his x-wing, he always will. And using the Force as his ally, hes superior. I mean Wedge could never fire a shadow bomb could he?

Sasche
18 May 2003, 08:45 AM
In the theme of Force Pilots and Non-Force Pilots...

I don't remember which book it was, but in one of the X-wing series, Corran Horn was noticing how Tycho piloted in a battle similar to how a Force user would. He wasn't force sensitive, but he saw the complete battle and could anticipate every move that everyone (enemies and allies) would be making. Most other people are concerned with themselves and maybe one enemy. Tycho was aware of the entire battle.
I think Corran was noticing that this is a skill that Force users benefit from, almost unconsciously. But it takes a great pilot like Tycho to do this without the Force.

Nova Spice
18 May 2003, 08:58 AM
I'm not going to argue between Wedge and Luke, and this whole, without the Force Luke is slightly above average and Wedge is great without it. Wedge IS great, but Skywalker does have the Force with him, and until someone figures out how to bottle a ysalamiri and shoot it at his x-wing, he always will. And using the Force as his ally, hes superior. I mean Wedge could never fire a shadow bomb could he?

No, you're right, Wedge could never fire a shadow bomb. And thanks for noticing my tag line (it's the first sentence from the novel X-wing: Rogue Squadron). :D

I agree that Wedge may not be able to do things in a starfighter that Luke could, since Wedge is not Force-sensitive. I do want to say, that Wedge is known for being modest, as shown by what he says to Corran. Wedge considers Luke the best starfighter pilot in the galaxy, and still does even into the New Jedi Order. It's also common knowledge that Luke considers Wedge the greatest starfighter pilot in the galaxy. I'm one of those people that believe because Luke basically ceased flying X-wings in combat after Shadows of the Empire, that Wedge surpassed him. I think Luke regained some of his prestige in Star by Star, but I honestly don't know if anyone is better than Wedge.

P.S. The bottling ysalamiri quip is hilarious! :D :P

Master Tryka
18 May 2003, 09:04 AM
I totally agree Nova, and the thing is, while Wedge is the best non-sensitive hands down, and with what was said about Tycho is true as well, I like Wedge even more in the role he is now. I think as a general, with his instincts of a fighter makes him even more formidable. In New Rebellion I think is, Wege comments on how he likes the Star Crusier with the wide open command center because it reminds him of a starfighter. Luke I think shows hes still got it in Star By Star. And, I suppose one of my favorite lines in NJO is at the end of Rebel Stand, when Wedge is in Blackmoon 11 and he and Gavin are discussing who is Rogue Leader, without Gavin knowing hes talking to Wedge... One of a few times I had to stop reading just so I could visualize the exchange and just laugh.

Nova Spice
18 May 2003, 10:25 AM
And, I suppose one of my favorite lines in NJO is at the end of Rebel Stand, when Wedge is in Blackmoon 11 and he and Gavin are discussing who is Rogue Leader, without Gavin knowing hes talking to Wedge... One of a few times I had to stop reading just so I could visualize the exchange and just laugh.

Yes! One of the best moments in the NJO! Here's the exchange:

Excerpt from Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand:

Then there was a new voice, stronger because the broadcasting X-wing hovered only fifty meters away. Wedge recognized the voice as Gavin Darklighter's. "Blackmoon Eleven, what did you think you were doing going after an entire squadron?"
"My job."
"That's 'My job, sir .' "
Wedge grinned. "My job, sir."
"Son, if you develop piloting skills in proportion to your nerve, someday they'll call you the greatest pilot of all time."

Gavin, baffled, stared down at his comm board. "Blackmoon Eleven, are you still there?"
But Blackmoon Eleven didn't respond---at least, not with words. The only thing emerging from Gavin's comm board was laughter. Laughter that was somehow familiar.

It's events such as the above that remind me how glad I am I've read the entire series thus far. :D

Master Tryka
18 May 2003, 10:29 AM
Exactly, even though it goes against my opinion Luke is the best all time (that's why I didn't dig out the quote, I knew it referenced it somehow) that is gotta be a finalist for top quote of all time... that and Corran telling one of the Solo kids (I think) that he was a Jedi back when you were and arguement between Han and Leia or something along those lines... that one just had me laughing for a while... hmm thinking... may have to start a poll on top quotes, but there are way way too many.

Krad-edis
19 May 2003, 02:26 AM
-What about the boy who won the Pod Racer race on Tatooine, even after facing a horrible cheating Dug former champion, got a crash course in starship operation and accidentily blew up the Trade Federation Droid Control Ship (my point is that he survived)?

-What about the guy who Ben Kenobi said "He was the best starpilot in the galaxy."?

-What about the guy who later flew circles around the majority of the Rebel pilots at the Battle of Yavin? If it were not for his really determined son and a smuggler willing to do an incredible blindside attack, Episode IV may have been the first and last Star Wars movie, because Vader and the Death Star would have kicked everyone's butts.

We forgot Anakin Skywalker/Vader! I know that Sarge mentioned him, but just his sheer piloting ability mixed together with exceptional power in the Force made him unbeatable. I would be interested to see how Corran Horn :xwing:, or even Luke Skywalker :xwing: would do against Vader :tieln: . That would be some pretty impressive flying!

The guy is old school!

Master Tryka
19 May 2003, 08:36 AM
Anakin Skywalker is up there, don't get me wrong, especially considering the TIEs he flies in his later incarnation are severely lacking in shields that all of the Rebel pilots need. I don't recall Ben caliing him the greatest starpilot, maybe a great one, but not the greatest, and remember, that was said at the very beginning of Ep. 4, before anyone knew who Wedge or Luke, or even Solo was. As far as what he did in Episode 1, yes, Anakin can race and drive a landspeeder, we see him drive an airspeeder in Ep. 2 as well. Blowing up the driod control ship, thought, was complete dumb luck or complete force guidance, take your pick, since he had no clue what he was doing, and it flew there moslty on auto pilot. Thats totally exempt from his flying ability.

Nova Spice
19 May 2003, 09:04 AM
Well, Episode III supposedly starts out with the final battle of the Clone Wars, so I imagine we'll see Anakin's abilities in the cockpit of the Jedi Starfighter. This will hopefully give credence to Obi-Wan's line in Episode IV.

But I agree with Master Tryka that so far, Anakin's piloting skills seem to be much more the guidance of the Force than anything else. And naturally, Force or no Force, Wedge Antilles would vape anyone at any given time. Bring it on Vader! :D

Krad-edis
19 May 2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Master Tryka
I don't recall Ben caliing him the greatest starpilot, maybe a great one, but not the greatest, and remember, that was said at the very beginning of Ep. 4, before anyone knew who Wedge or Luke, or even Solo was.

Actually you are right, he didn't say the greatest, he only said "the best".

"He was the best starpilot in the galaxy."

He says this right before he hands Luke his dad's lightsaber.

Blowing up the driod control ship, thought, was complete dumb luck or complete force guidance, take your pick, since he had no clue what he was doing, and it flew there moslty on auto pilot. Thats totally exempt from his flying ability.

He was off automatic or R2 piloting for a while, and for a kid who just learned how to fly a ship, he fared better than a lot of the Naboo fighter pilots. As I said earlier, my point was that he survived.

Originally posted by Nova Spice
But I agree with Master Tryka that so far, Anakin's piloting skills seem to be much more the guidance of the Force than anything else. And naturally, Force or no Force, Wedge Antilles would vape anyone at any given time. Bring it on Vader!

Any given time huh? At the time we have all seen on the big screen, the good old Battle of Yavin, Wedge was heading the hell away from Vader before Vader or one of his wingmen put laser bolts up his tail. At that critical moment, it was Vader, Luke, Vader's wingmen, and thank heavens Han came in.

Nova Spice
19 May 2003, 04:58 PM
Any given time huh? At the time we have all seen on the big screen, the good old Battle of Yavin, Wedge was heading the hell away from Vader before Vader or one of his wingmen put laser bolts up his tail. At that critical moment, it was Vader, Luke, Vader's wingmen, and thank heavens Han came in.

Wow, Krad ole buddy, I'm disappointed in you! :D

Of course Wedge was heading the hell away, Vader was right behind him and there was no way for Wedge to fight back! Hell, I could've blown Wedge sky high then! I mean, both he and Biggs were essentially cannon fodder for Luke, and both could have pulled outta the trench to fight back, but of course that would have meant death for the attack run leader.

And you make it sound like Wedge ran away scared. Good friend, Luke ordered Wedge to head home. I guarantee you he would have stayed as long as he could have.

You have Vader fighting Wedge in a different circumstance, like out in open space in a dogfight, and I guarantee my Corellian Rogue would give that respiratory-challenged Dark Lord the dogfight of his life. ;)

Sasche
19 May 2003, 06:25 PM
I agree Nova. If I was betting between Vader and Wedge in a head-to-head battle, I'd always go with Wedge.

After all... you should never bet against a Corellian ;)

Krad-edis
21 May 2003, 08:14 AM
No need to be disappointed in me Nova. Stat wise, experience wise, and with the usage of the Force, Wedge is seriously outclassed at the time. No, I did not say that he ran off like a coward, but he did leave because he did get shot up. I doubt Luke would have sent him away otherwise.

Now, I don't really see any official copies of stats for Wedge for D20, but old Wedge still does not measure up to Vader by the time he reaches the Jedi Academy Sourcebook stats for D6. He is nearly 3D short of what Vader was without Force usage even after several more years of missions after ROTJ! The fact remains that Vader, a very accomplished pilot, and incredibly powerful Force user was flying ships in battles while Wedge was learning his ABCs, or even before so. In a toe to toe engagement, there probably would not be much left of poor Wedge at the Battle of Yavin had he called Vader out for a dog fight.

Wedge is good, and probably in time, would be better than Vader at fighter piloting, but not during the Battle of Yavin. Down the road during the later part of the New Republic or early NJO, I can see him giving Vader a run for his money, but again not during the time of the Rebellion. There was too much of a gap in experience, and unless you can really show me otherwise (The Rogue Squadron Books are 6 to 7 years, some even much later after ANH and do not count as Rebellion Era), I really have no choice but to believe what I have seen in Episode IV. I saw a young pilot ordering another young pilot away from certain death from a very experienced and powerful pilot.

Oh, and by the way, this forum is calling for the best pilot I presume from the Rebellion Era. Vader should at least get mention. Afterall, didn't he along with some of his wing men kill some of the better pilots of the Battle of Yavin....during the Rebellion Era?

Nova Spice
21 May 2003, 08:54 AM
Oh, and by the way, this forum is calling for the best pilot I presume from the Rebellion Era. Vader should at least get mention. Afterall, didn't he along with some of his wing men kill some of the better pilots of the Battle of Yavin....during the Rebellion Era?

Well, he and DS-61-2 and DS-61-3 vaped Garven Dreis (Red Leader), Biggs Darklighter (Red Three), Theron Nett (Red Ten), Jon "Dutch" Vander (Gold One), Tiree (Gold Two), and Pops (Gold Five). I agree that the dark one should be on the poll, just by what he did to Red Group and Gold Group.

No need to be disappointed in me Nova. Stat wise, experience wise, and with the usage of the Force, Wedge is seriously outclassed at the time. No, I did not say that he ran off like a coward, but he did leave because he did get shot up. I doubt Luke would have sent him away otherwise.

Oh I know, my directive in saying I was "disappointed" was meant to point out that Wedge wasn't in a position to engage Vader in a dogfight. It doesn't take a lot of skill to vape someone with their backs to you and who cannot return fire. I don't think what we saw in ANH was representative of a true fight between Vader and other Rebel pilots. I would have liked to have seen Garven Dreis try to fight Vader in a dogfight, instead of attempting to evade.

Alas, we'll never really know how good Wedge was compared to Vader or how good Vader really was. Maybe Episode III will show Anakin flying circles around the opposition?

Sasche
21 May 2003, 09:10 AM
I agree that Vader should have been one of the choices. Since this is the "Rebellion Era" Forum. And when using that definition, maybe some of the later Rogues and Wraiths should not be included in the poll.

But since, the creator of the poll had all of those pilots as choices, I went with the flavor that the "rebellion era" was being stretched to include the New Republic era.

And I still have to go with Wedge. I looked at this poll more as a "what if they matched up when ever each pilot was at their respective peak?"
You have a point that Wedge wasn't as experienced at Yavin. But I was looking more at the entire career of Wedge and basing my decision on that.
Head-to-head at the battle of Yavin? Maybe Vader could have won, but it wouldn't have been easy.
Transport Vader and Wedge using a "magical time machine" when each was at their peak, and I'll stick with Wedge.

Corran Horn
21 May 2003, 03:43 PM
Of course its Corran Horn, he kicks butt in I Jedi.

Krad-edis
22 May 2003, 03:51 AM
Originally stated by Nova Spice....

It doesn't take a lot of skill to vape someone with their backs to you and who cannot return fire.

Luke and Wedge were still alive at the end of the Battle of Yavin, so I would have to say that it can take some serious skill in trying to actually shoot down a decent pilot even from the rear. :)

I agree that it really wasn't much of a battle where dog fighting was apparent on the screen (some but not much), and I do agree that Wedge was not a coward and an exceptional (but rather young and inexperienced) pilot. Especially when Wedge saved Luke by flying and shooting through the TIE pursuing Skywalker.

However, it would be a very big mistake to underestimate Skywalker Sr.'s flying ability during that battle, especially when he can mix his flying with the Force. I would have to go with Vader just for that reason. He doesn't play fair because bad guys don't have to. 8o

Cakhmaim
31 May 2003, 09:18 PM
Ah I can see that this is going to be an on going arguement. But there is a lack of appreciation here. Force-users non-force users. Personally I think that if you are talking about raw talent you cannot put a force user on top. If you do include them it would be Anakin Skywalker-Darth Vader hands done.

Now RAW talent. These are the real pilots. My good friend and I battle on this question almost daily. He is hands done Wedge. I cannot argue that Wedge is up there, he is extraordinary pilot. But I feel he may have competition up there. One that most people in this forum have neglected, forgot, or simply don't know. Baron Fel. The leader of the 181st Tie Fighter Squadron. The elite of the elite. Sure Wedge may have more kills, but in talent I say they are almost parrelled. If you had to choose one, Baron Fel. I think more people pick Wedge because tehy know him better. He has 9 books dedicated to talking about his skills as a pilot. He is in at least a dozen more where he is in a X-wing. But how often do you hear about the most notrious, feared, and deadly pilot in the galaxy? Not nearly as much as Wedge. Baron Fel had more kills than any other pilot in Empire history. He did this in a Tie-Fighter, not a sheild protected, proton torpedo wielding, hyperspace jumping, X-wing. Now I am not saying the x-wing is a bad ship. I like it, but if we are looking for the best pilot we need to take in all angles. Baron went into every battle with no shield, or torpedos. He went into every battle knowing if his transport blew he was without a way home. He went into every battle fearless. He lead the 181st into battles against great odds. EVERY pilot feared him. Including Wedge. In X-wing Book 5 Wraith Sqaudron the last battle, when Baron came across the intercom, Wedge felt fear. True maybe not fear for his own life, but he knew if the battle went on, many of his pilots would not make it back. Baron Fel MUST be looked at when it comes into the best pilot.

I also feel that the Empire had better starfighter training. Why? Well look at who has come out of Empire Flight Academy. Baron Fel, Jag Fel, Hobbies, Tycho, and even Wedge. All the pilots that are in the top five. Everyone learned from these men. So in essence tehy learned to be that good because of the Empire training their pilots so well.

NOVA! I cannot believe you!!! You are wearing the Imperial colors and yet you put your trust in a Rebel(he says with disgust). How dare you!:) ;)

Darth Fury
1 June 2003, 02:10 AM
Cakhmaim don't forget that Han was also a graduate of the Imperial academy.

Rogue Janson
1 June 2003, 03:23 AM
The Soontir Fel/Wedge thing is clearly deliberate, you're meant to wonder just which one of them would win in a dogfight. And the way it works out you never get to see, so the argument can go on indefinitely. I'd go for Wedge, if only because this is Star Wars. You put a good guy and a bad guy in a fight, who's going to win in the end?

Cakhmaim
1 June 2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Darth Fury
Cakhmaim don't forget that Han was also a graduate of the Imperial academy.

I have not forgotten. I didn't bring up Han because he didn't go through starfighter training. He went through officers training. I am not saying Han isn't an awsome pilot whenit comes to "buckets of bolts." But I do not think he could handle a snubfighter the way others can. Maybe with training.

As for Wedge vs Soontir it is too bad that you never will see them head to head. Then again that might be a good thing, because one would have to win and the other would die, They might both die from the encounter. Either way the Star Wars galaxy would never be the same without them. At least the snubfighting part.

Jedi_Staailis
1 June 2003, 08:25 AM
Luke Skywalker is the easy choice. His first combat mission, his first experience of piloting in space, and his first time in the X-Wing are all in the Battle of Yavin. And what happens? He demolishes TIE fighters and Death Star emplacements with seeming ease, holds off Vader for a few crucial moments ("The Force is strong with this one.") and then destroys the Death Star. By ESB, he's in command of Rogue Squadron, over pilots like Wedge.

However, had Anakin/Vader been listed on the poll, I would have gone with him. As Krad-edis mentioned, there is a direct quote where Obi-Wan calls him the best fighter pilot in the galaxy. What we've seen of him in the prequels and in Episode IV confirms Obi-Wan's high opinion.

Kanner Ra'an
1 June 2003, 08:46 AM
Luke Skywalker, hands down. Now if you want to go with funniest Janson is the man, with Face at his heel.

Cakhmaim
1 June 2003, 06:37 PM
You know I was looking at the list and realized there was another pilot that is not on here that should be. Ooryl Orygg of the Gand. He was Corrans wingman, and he amazed even Wedge.

Dea-Ev Dacal
1 June 2003, 10:26 PM
Corran is just so sarcastic, funny, and god that I had too choose him.
E.D.

Jim Williams
2 June 2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Staailis
However, had Anakin/Vader been listed on the poll, I would have gone with him. As Krad-edis mentioned, there is a direct quote where Obi-Wan calls him the best fighter pilot in the galaxy. What we've seen of him in the prequels and in Episode IV confirms Obi-Wan's high opinion.

I just wish in EpII GL could have snuck something in with Anakin doing the fighter pilot thing. Obi never witnessed the pod race, and the Battle of Naboo could just be written off as pure dumb luck. Or destiny.

Why, why, why didn't he show Anakin....oh, never mind.

Master Tryka
2 June 2003, 07:43 AM
well I'm sure Obi knew about the pod race...

Rogue Janson
2 June 2003, 10:02 AM
maybe Obi-Wan tuned the Royal Starship's comm in and watched the pod race on local tele/holo-vision.

Master Tryka
2 June 2003, 10:18 AM
well that, or I'm sure Qui-Gon would have told him the story behind how they got the hyperdrive without any money. Regardless, Anakin/Vader was the best pilot in the galaxy... then Luke and Wedge showed up on the scene. Babe Ruth was once the all time home run king... (and Boston sold him to finance a musical... ugh the Curse of the Bambino)

AzmoDanakar
3 June 2003, 09:50 AM
Fun to read, good stuff all around, but come on... Which other pilot has 2 Death Stars painted as 'kills' on his X-Wing? Which pilot successfully re-created and trained 2 squadrons to drive the imps back to the farthest corners of space?

Wedge Antilles.
The Question is who is the best Fighter Pilot?
Wedge Antilles is the answer. He has more hours logged in a fighter than dozens of other pilots combined. he is the only pilot shown in all 3 movies to survive and is a part of every major battle depicted.
Yes he is one of my favorite chars' but so is Corran Horn, but while Corran is a great all around character, Wedge is a superior pilot. These are all just opinions of course, but Fighter Pilots are as good as their wingmen in some case... so the debate can rage on....

Lord Kjeran
3 June 2003, 11:05 AM
Chello!

Originally posted by Cakhmaim

But I do not think he could handle a snubfighter the way others can. Maybe with training.

You haven't read Han Solo at Star's End have you? Han in a Z-95 going against CorSec fighters.

What about the NJO book were Han goes through the Asteroid race in a modified TIE Bomber?

He's got the training.

But it's still all about Lord Vader.......;)

Cakhmaim
4 June 2003, 08:02 AM
I have read that, but what I was saying was he has not spent he time and energy of constantly training with snubfighters. The pilots are always running sims and practicing to become that much better. Han does not do this, he might have in the past but not regualr enough to be able to compete with Wedge or Fel.

Calanthe
6 June 2003, 12:03 AM
As a few others have mentioned, I'd have to go with the Lord of the Sith, Darth Vader.

Master Tryka
9 June 2003, 07:33 AM
ok, I'll throw in with one more... you bring up Han going through Lando's Folly... fine but he did it WITH Chewie... Luke had to go in to save them, WITHOUT the benefit of shields that Han and Chewie had had. This was gonna be all time shove it in Nova's face, but then I seem to remember Wedge in Blackmoon 11. Damn that Wedge... but then again, it wasn't Gavin or Wedge's job, it was Luke's job first.

Marusame
9 June 2003, 08:29 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to go with a toss-up between Jag and Wedge. Jag shoots down Wedge numerous times, but by that time Wedge is older, and has slower reflexes. I dun know what would happen if they were both at their prime.

But since I like Wedge more.. "WEDGE!!!!!" I vote that way.

Lord Kjeran
9 June 2003, 09:22 AM
Ah, but my point about the Folly was that, while he did it with Chewie, it stil was the best UNTIL the Force Users got involved.

Tony

Master Tryka
9 June 2003, 09:26 AM
all well and good, but I'm sorry I have a problem with holding the Force against people. Yeah, more is probably be expected from them, which isnt necessarily right or fair but its the way everyones gonna be. All I am basing my opinion is off of results, and in doing so, what I see this far, is Luke, followed closely by Wedge, and even Jaina Solo. Father and son Fel, Anakin Skywalker/DV and all the others that are way up here near the top that im not mentioning.

Nova Spice
9 June 2003, 12:06 PM
This was gonna be all time shove it in Nova's face, but then I seem to remember Wedge in Blackmoon 11. Damn that Wedge... but then again, it wasn't Gavin or Wedge's job, it was Luke's job first.

Yea, you thought you had me, didn't you Tryka! :D :P

Wedge showed at Sernpidal and at Borleias that he still has that "magic touch." Hands down, Wedge Antilles is the best fighter jock...long live Rogue Leader! B)

My opinion, in order of greatness, is this:

-Wedge Antilles
-Anakin Skywalker
-Luke Skywalker
-Soontir Fel
-Tycho Celchu
-Corran Horn
-Jag Fel
-Gavin Darklighter
-Jaina Solo
-Wes Janson
-Hobbie Klivian

Han I don't consider a fighter jock, but if the poll had said: "Best Pilot" then Han Solo would certainly be one of the leaders, if not the leader.

Master Tryka
9 June 2003, 12:14 PM
Ya Ani is up there, but I can't give hime that high a rating until he actually shows me something... He can race a pod, ok, and fly a landspeeder a little around Coruscant, but I need more. and the Death Star thing, that wasn't crap, he flew in a couple i straight lines and shoot peopl ein the back!

Nova Spice
9 June 2003, 01:13 PM
Ya Ani is up there, but I can't give hime that high a rating until he actually shows me something... He can race a pod, ok, and fly a landspeeder a little around Coruscant, but I need more. and the Death Star thing, that wasn't crap, he flew in a couple i straight lines and shoot peopl ein the back!

Oh I definitely agree; Anakin hasn't shown much, so here's hoping Episode III will provide some insights. I was just going by Obi-Wan's assertion that he was "the best starfighter pilot he had ever seen." I'm assuming this has to be backed up in Episode III, so that wa my reasoning on placing him so high. :)

Cakhmaim
11 June 2003, 02:18 PM

Oh I definitely agree; Anakin hasn't shown much, so here's hoping Episode III will provide some insights. I was just going by Obi-Wan's assertion that he was "the best starfighter pilot he had ever seen." I'm assuming this has to be backed up in Episode III, so that wa my reasoning on placing him so high. :)

There is no doubt that Anakin Skywalker is the best starfighter pilot ever. He has not shown us much yet, but everybody refers to him being so great. he not only is a great pilot, but he alos develops starfighters also. In fact the he developed the Tie Advanced. He also came up with the plans for the X-wing. So fo rme it would go like this:

1)Anakin Skywalker
2)Luke Skywalker
3)Wedge Antilles/ Baron Fel
4)Tetran Cowall
5)Tycho Celchu
6)Jag Fel
7)Corran Horn
8)Ooryl Ooryg
9) Jaina Solo
I was looking at somethings and realized that Tetran Cowall really needs to be mentioned in this poll.

Kanner Ra'an
11 June 2003, 02:27 PM
he not only is a great pilot, but he alos develops starfighters also. In fact the he developed the Tie Advanced. He also came up with the plans for the X-wing.

Where dod you hear that.:? Im not sure of the Tie advanced but the
X-wing :raised: . That doesn't sound right.

Sasche
11 June 2003, 08:45 PM
I was looking at somethings and realized that Tetran Cowall really needs to be mentioned in this poll.

I thought I had read most of the books. But I have to admit that I have never heard of this guy.
Where does he come from (what books) ?

thanks

Master Tryka
16 June 2003, 07:18 AM
Tetran Cowall is in the Xwing novels.

Darth Fury
16 June 2003, 05:53 PM
Tetran Cowall is in the Xwing novels.

UUUUUUHmmm which novel is he in and is he Imp or rebel????

Sasche
16 June 2003, 06:43 PM
I found info on him. He was an Interceptor pilot for Warlord Zsinj.
Check out this link HERE (http://www1.theforce.net/cuswe/search.asp?search=cowall&EandD=EyDn&no=10)

It states that he wasn't that good of a pilot though. He masquerades as Baron Soontir Fell through the use of droids which "enhanced" his Interceptor skills.

When I read this summary, it kind of brought some of my memory back. IMO, I wouldn't include Tetran Cowall on any of my "Top 10" pilots list.

Darth Fury
16 June 2003, 07:37 PM
OK now I remember him! thanks for the kickstart for my memory SASCHE.

Vex
21 June 2003, 02:33 PM
Wedge hands down, just look at the poll.

Master Tryka
21 June 2003, 02:40 PM
polls also told us that Dewey defeated Truman..... just cause a poll says something don't make it fact. (Go Luke!!)

Sirch Akoras
21 June 2003, 03:17 PM
I may sound like everyone else, but Wedge :wedge: hands down.

Really, three major battles :ds1: :atat: :ds2:, 3 squadrons (one of which was a pilot band) :xwing:, he flew looking and sounding like an ewok :ewok:, he trained half of the people on this list, he survived the trench run against Vader :vader:, he had to turn down promotions he was offered so many, the bacta war, opening Coruscant to attack, the whole Lusankya battle above Thyferra (that was pure wit) :isd:, not to mention the emotions he could fly under.

He still flew when most all of his true friends had been killed, and he is known to fly right after they die, too. Come on, people.

Cakhmaim
25 June 2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Sasche
I found info on him. He was an Interceptor pilot for Warlord Zsinj.
Check out this link HERE (http://www1.theforce.net/cuswe/search.asp?search=cowall&EandD=EyDn&no=10)

It states that he wasn't that good of a pilot though. He masquerades as Baron Soontir Fell through the use of droids which "enhanced" his Interceptor skills.

When I read this summary, it kind of brought some of my memory back. IMO, I wouldn't include Tetran Cowall on any of my "Top 10" pilots list.

They were not saying he was a bad pilot they were saying that the drods did some of the work. Not in their interceptors but in the raptors. They basically served the same function as R2 in X-wings. So if we go by the logic that since the Raptor droids helped with targeting and scanning, Tetran Cowell is a bad pilot. We must therefore say the same thing about Wedge, using the same formula. After all he Gate does the same things the Raptors did. Of course I do not agree with this. I believe Wedge is by far one of the best.

Rogue Janson
26 June 2003, 02:12 AM
The droid raptors were something more than glorified R2 units, since they automatically coordinated their tactcs to a remarkable level of precision iirc. So Cowall did have a certain amount of assistance. Any pilot that can pretend to be Baron Soontir Fel has got to be pretty good though.

Cakhmaim
26 June 2003, 09:17 PM
The Raptors maybe a little more complicated than the R2s. Even though not by much after all in X-wing 8

**POSSIBLE SPOILER***

Gate and Whistler escape from under Ysane Isard's nose, buy transportation off the system through hacking files, forge government documents within seconds to sabatoge a Twileck trying to capture them, send encrypted messages to Talon Karrde, and even make a deal with him. Those are the broad details, there actually was a lot more to it. In fact a similiar thing happened in the seventh book with Lara and her R2. Her R2 orchestrated the crippling of anentire Super Star Destroyer.

I am not trying to start an arguement about this or that Wedge was not a good pilot. The two points I am trying to make are:
1) There are other pilots who are very good who should be on this list(not taking a stab at the author), or they at least need to be mentioned for their amazing skills. I think Ooryl Oryyg should difinitely be mentioned here along with a few others.
2) I totally believe that Wedge is by far one of the best pilots in the galaxy(that does not have the force), but there are others equally if not better than him. The reason I feel they are over looked is because they get about a tenth of the mention in the books as Wedge. So people really have to search to find info on them, and that is why they are overlooked. Take for instance The gand Ooryl. Besides the first 4 x-wing novels he is barely even mentioned. Not even a main character in any of those books either. Yet Wedge himself is constantly impressed and has no idea how he can fly that good. Another is Baron Soontir Fel. Wedge knows if he ever had to dogfight Fel there is a big chance he will not survive. So here and now I am giving them all the praise they deserve for being supporting characters to Wedge and the others.

Vreel Kudarin
28 June 2003, 04:41 AM
Wedge Antilles to Corran Horn: "You're good, but you're no Luke Skywalker."

IMHO:
Force-assisted pilots:
1. Luke Skywalker
2. Corran Horn
3. Kyp Durron
4. Jaina Solo

Non-Force-assisted pilots:
1. Wedge Antilles
2. Baron Soontir Fel
3. Jagged Fel
4. Han Solo

XJ3 X-Wing
3 July 2003, 07:55 AM
For me Force-enhanced: Corran Horn
Not Force enhanced: Wedge Antilles

Even though those are my top choices if I had to talk to any of those pilots it would have to be Jania Solo. I mean would you rather spend time talking to some 40+ years old man or a 17 year old hot girl with a great additude.

jediwookie
17 July 2003, 09:16 AM
Force using pilots, Jaina is a great pilot, but I think everyone is kinda forgetting Kyp. Im not a big Kyp fan, but he does have a fair amount of skill in starfighter piloting. I think he's outclassed by Corran Horn and Luke though. Jaina has those two beat. The only other person to join Rogue Squadron younger than she was is Gavin Darklighter, who I also think everyone is forgetting. He joined at 16 if I remeber correctly.
Wedge has a bigger name than Gavin though, and like most everyone else, I think that Wedge and Baron Fel are probably the two best pilots in the galaxy.

I wonder what a starfighter squadron of all these great pilots would be like. The biggest names of Rogue Squadron, which most of these pilots served in, even Fel if I remember right. I think if you stripped the Force away from the ebst Force user pilots, Jaina would still stand a big chance when facing these guys. But Wedge and Fel have her outclassed by far.

Overall, I have to go with Wedge, just cause hes cool and stuff. Oh, and why did he bother putting Wraith Squadron on there? They're cool, but let's remember most of them were the pilots nobody else wanted...

Stratus Tel'narus
17 July 2003, 09:47 AM
Corran Horn all the way!

Although thats a little biased since hes also my favorite character, but hes a great pilot too. :D

fighterace
23 July 2003, 11:48 AM
You've all got it wrong; Han was/is the best! Look what he did with that old barge, the Millenium Falcon. Imagine what he could've done with a fighter! Hands down, Han Solo all the way!

aquamason
8 August 2003, 09:06 AM
I vote for Luke, but Porkins :porkins: runs a close second. Also, I kind of like that one Gand pilot that was in the comics... Ooryl something or other...

Deck
10 August 2003, 05:42 AM
I voted for Luke. In all the many EU books he proves what a brilliant pilot he is. And there is that quote in one of the X-Wing novels <i>"You're good, but you're no Luke Skywalker."</i> :)

Rogue Janson
10 August 2003, 03:02 PM
pah, Luke Skywalker.
He's good, but he's no Wes Janson.

stoic_75
27 August 2003, 06:47 PM
I noticed Mara Jade was left off of this list. As was Darth Vader. Among the force using pilots, I would list them towards the top. Otherwise, I would vote for Han Solo. He can fly a tramp freighter through an asteroid belt. Anyone top that?

Master Tryka
27 August 2003, 07:10 PM
ok I gotta weigh in.

Vader? Why, thus far we've seen him do a little piloting in his TIE, yeah we hear things, but we've seen nothing. Oh, a speeder and a Naboo fighter on autopilot.

Han? Ya Han is a good pilot. But he also has a massively customized freighter, that is far from a hunk of junk. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he does have Military grade sublights in there, thats like taking a Ferrari engine, and dropping it into any rusting car. It's gonna haul. Han may know his way around rebuilding a ship, but heck, everytime they got in trouble, Chewie flew while Han was in the gun turret.

Wedge? Wedge is up there. Way up there, 2 Death Stars, Roughe Squadron, Battle of Hoth, Wedge is a player. Wedge may be good, "but he's no Luke Skywalker"

That leaves me to Luke. Luke is the man. yes he's a Force user, big deal. He can bullseye a womp-rat, not to mention an exhasut vent to blow up a Death Star. (we wanna go EU, there are many many more pieces of evidence).

Also, not to be left off that are definately up there... Corran Horn, Kyp Durron, Tycho Celchu, Jaina Solo, Mara Jade and many others....

Major T. Phennir
31 August 2003, 04:17 PM
I have not read quite as many books but I have to go with my squadron leader, Baron Soontir Fel.

Nova Spice
31 August 2003, 08:18 PM
I voted for Luke. In all the many EU books he proves what a brilliant pilot he is. And there is that quote in one of the X-Wing novels "You're good, but you're no Luke Skywalker."

This has been my sig since I joined the Holonet a few years back. It's taken from the opening line of X-wing: Rogue Squadron. Wedge makes the comment to Corran Horn.

He's good, but he's no Wes Janson.

Now this I like. Good 'ole Janson. If I can give him credit for anything, it's his miraculous return from the dead in X-wing: Isard's Revenge and his bravado leading the Taanab Yellow Aces in the New Jedi Order! :D

Wedge? Wedge is up there. Way up there, 2 Death Stars, Roughe Squadron, Battle of Hoth, Wedge is a player. Wedge may be good, "but he's no Luke Skywalker"

Wedge vs. Luke would end up with one really dead whiny Jedi. It's intended that Wedge is portrayed as the best. Luke may be a gifted pilot, but Wedge is a god of starfighter combat. The only reason that quote even came about was due to Wedge's modesty.

Wedge Antilles = The Ultimate Starfighter Pilot and the Ultimate Star Wars Pilot

Ardent
1 September 2003, 10:25 AM
Wedge vs. Luke would end up with one really dead whiny Jedi. It's intended that Wedge is portrayed as the best. Luke may be a gifted pilot, but Wedge is a god of starfighter combat. The only reason that quote even came about was due to Wedge's modesty.

Wedge Antilles = The Ultimate Starfighter Pilot and the Ultimate Star Wars Pilot

I happen to disagree, only because every snubjock who has met him can't fail but to have the utmost respect for Tycho Celchu. A warrior from a world where warrior tradition was suppressed, a man so focused and determined in the path he's deemed correct, a person above the scrutiny of even his few superiors, Tycho Celchu is the quintessentially perfect snubjock. Where he wanes somewhat to Wedge is in sheer luck and strategic thinking. Tycho is very much a tactical thinker -- chances are anything the enemy has thought of, Tycho has already determined a counter for. But in the big picture, Wedge is the one in the know. Both command respect amongst pilots for having led Rogue Squadron for so long, so successfully, and both command respect as tacticians and officers, but neither indulges in self-glorification. I think the fact that they consider themselves amongst their best friends in the galaxy speaks to how well their two personalties mesh.

But the question is always lingering: what if Biggs Darklighter had survived? We all know just how good his cousin is. ;)

Nova Spice
1 September 2003, 10:47 AM
What you've pointed out, Ardent 'ole buddy, is a relationship between Wedge and Tycho that parallels another famous duo.

If Wedge is strategy and Tycho is tactics, then Wedge is Robert E. Lee and Tycho is "Stonewall" Jackson. Both pilots complement one another's thinking, and both pilots share the same personality in many ways.

This just occured to me while reading your post, and is something I have never even considered.

But the question is always lingering: what if Biggs Darklighter had survived? We all know just how good his cousin is.

As Tenel Ka would say: "Fact."

Gavin Darklighter is one of four men to command Rogue Squadron. The fact that he has survived four years of endless Vong assault, reflects just how good he is behind the stick.

Given time, I'm sure Biggs would have surpassed anyone's expectations.

Vash Knives
19 November 2003, 03:29 PM
You forgot me!!! I surpass anyone else-that is my main charactor, Vash Knives!

Jedi Master Talon
12 December 2003, 06:44 AM
My vote is to Corran becasuse he's just an amazing character and pilot from what I've read. Also I just think his character does done well skill wise Wedge and Corran are right next to each other. I don't understand why Corran doesn't have his own squadron.

Korwin Blade
20 January 2004, 04:34 PM
Wedge......Wedge.......Are you people nuts.........Han Solo is the best none Force using Piolt in the Galaxy hands down. If not the Best over all.

And I would have voted for Mara Jade as the best Force using Pilot in the Galaxy but she wasn't listed.

Darth Fierce
21 January 2004, 04:22 AM
I haven't had a chance to check everybody's responses, and I'm sure someone's all ready brought this up, but the title of "Best Fighter Pilot" has to go to Wedge, mainly because he is the only fighter pilot on the list that I know was directly involved in the starship battles that led to the destruction of both Death Stars.

It doesn't get much better than to be able to say that you helped take on the galaxy most powerful battle stations twice, and survived to tell about it.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Korwin Blade
21 January 2004, 04:50 AM
I might agree with you if he was the only one to survive those battles, but he wasn't the only one. Luke, Leia. Han, Chewie were at those battles too. And there is only one pilot that could fly through an asteroid belt and survive and that is Han Solo. I'll give you that Wedge is a good pilot, but not a great pilot.

Only one pilot has been from one end of the galaxy to the other and that is Han Solo. He can do things with a the Falcon that most pilots can't do with a fighter, including Wedge.

Why is it that out of all the pilots on the poll list only one is'nt known for flying a fighter? That's becasue even the one that started the poll knows that Han is the best pilot in the Galaxy. Period.

Darth Fierce
21 January 2004, 08:48 AM
To some extent, I see your point, Korwin. However, being able to fly through the tunnels of the second Death Star's infrastructure sucessfully is a feat that I'd take to be more miraculous than flying through an asteroid field.

Heck, with the right amount of shielding, even an ISD can survive a trip through at least part of an asteroid field, as we saw in TESB. Plus, if we're going to give props for a fighter pilot capable of flying through an asteroid field successfully, then you have to remember Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Han Solo is a great pilot, I'll give you that, but is he the greatest? I'd answer: That's debatable.

Rogue Janson
21 January 2004, 09:12 AM
To some extent, I see your point, Korwin. However, being able to fly through the tunnels of the second Death Star's infrastructure sucessfully is a feat that I'd take to be more miraculous than flying through an asteroid field.
Maybe, but a load of other fighters did the same, not to mention Lando in the Falcon.

It's hard to judge Han Solo as a fighter pilot, because it's not something he does very often. Which is why I still think Wedge is better than him at it. Han is certainly an incredible pilot and probably a better all-round pilot than Wedge, but it just doesn't make up for the extra years of experience Wedge has flying fighters.

Major T. Phennir
21 January 2004, 10:15 AM
I just read Shadows of the Empire and Dash Rendar was an extrodinary(sp?) pilot and I do not know why he hit the chunk of the Skyhook. Yes he was stuck up but he had reason to be plus he was a very good fighter on the ground. I guess that Dash was killed only because he wasn't in the movies and that is dissapointing becuase given the oppourtunity he may have been the best non-Force pilot.

Krad-edis
21 January 2004, 10:46 AM
Dash didn't necessarily die.....

Dash Rendar showed up with Guri in some comic (don't know the name, but others probably do) that took place a few months or years after "Shadows of the Empire".

If you do a search on Guri, you may find the thread where a few of the members talk about the comic.

Edit: This is from Starwars.com
Dash Rendar (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/dashrendar/eu.html)

Darth Fierce
21 January 2004, 12:49 PM
If I remember right, the comic book that Dash appeared in with Guri after the events of SotE was called Shadows of the Empire: Evolution. In such comic, the heroes have to deal with Xizor's niece (again, if I'm remembering the comic right).

AceStarlighter
24 January 2004, 08:40 AM
Wedge, hands down.

Solo666
26 January 2004, 04:48 AM
Han does not fly a fighter, he is a Space Transport Ace. I think Luke should have gotten a few levels of Jedi Ace, maybe starting with Yavin but, that's just me. Han should not be up there, just Luke and Wedge

badjediguy
10 February 2004, 09:01 AM
Wedge Antilles, of course. :wedge:

Ooyl
11 February 2004, 07:13 PM
No Porkins? *sniff*:porkins:

readyjedi pilot
6 June 2004, 01:35 PM
Luke is the best fighter pilot ever. He has the force and he has the best piloting bloodline ever. Yeah Anakin might have destroyed a droid control ship at age 9 but he got a chance to get off Tatooine. Imagine what luke coud've been capable of if he had gone to the imperial academy. He had no training first space combat and he destroys the death star. force or no-force it's got to be luke.

force users will always have an edge over non-force users piloting wise because of their inhuman (or alien) reflexes.

1.Luke
2.Vader:vader:
3.Corran
4.Jaina
5.Kyp
6.Mara Jade:marajade:
7.Wedge
8.Baron Fel
9.Han:hansolo:
10.Specialised Trained Jedi Pilots:sabersml:
11. Rogue Squadron down:xwing::hobbie: :hansolo:

Nova Spice
6 June 2004, 03:39 PM
force users will always have an edge over non-force users piloting wise because of their inhuman (or alien) reflexes.

That's not necessarily true. As depicted in the New Jedi Order, Jag Fel had nearly identical timing with Jaina and Kyp. That was even when they were using the Force meld.

I have to disagree with some of your assessments of the best fighter pilots ever. Luke is good, yes. Anakin Skywalker was good. But, as Luke has said before, no one beats Wedge Antilles.

I noticed you placed a good many folks ahead of Wedge. Mara Jade, while a decent pilot, is nowhere near as talented as even Baron Fel. And Jaina and Kyp are good pilots, but they're not even on the same plane as Wedge. One on one, Wedge would vape every single one of the Jedi pilots. He's the only person to survive two Death Star runs. He's also the New Republic's all-time kill leader. Couple those accomplishments with the fact that he led Rogue Squadron for nearly twenty years and there's no question that he's the best starfighter pilot ever.

Revised Top Ten List:
1. Wedge Antilles
2. Luke Skywalker
3. Anakin Skywalker
4. Baron Soontir Fel
5. Tycho Celchu
6. Corran Horn
7. Gavin Darklighter
8. Kyp Durron
9. Jaina Solo
10. Jag Fel

Han is a great pilot, but he's not a great starfighter pilot. ;)

Roguesrule
8 June 2004, 09:07 AM

Revised Top Ten List:
1. Wedge Antilles
2. Luke Skywalker
3. Anakin Skywalker
4. Baron Soontir Fel
5. Tycho Celchu
6. Corran Horn
7. Gavin Darklighter
8. Kyp Durron
9. Jaina Solo
10. Jag Fel

I'll go with this list. But I'm not sure if Corron is such a good pilot. I got the impression that he didn't had much practice in the last years (before NJO). I also think that Ooryl could match Celchu.
And I'm sure that he's better than Gavin.

wolverine
8 June 2004, 10:59 AM
I personally would rank the top 10 as follows.

1) Wedge
2) luke
3) Barron sonnir fel
4) tycho
5) corran
6) jag fel
7) and 8) tied jania and kyp
9) gavin
10) the other rouges

Fingon
9 June 2004, 06:25 AM
I don't know that luke is the best pilot ever. He definately has the potential to become the best pilot ever, but, if I'm not mistaken, in many of the books, he 'held back' to not 'abuse' the force.

But, all things considering, I'd say its almost a tie between Wedge and Luke. I don't know about the rest.

wolverine
9 June 2004, 12:38 PM
Actually, i would love to see a freeball with all those top 10 involved. Only training lasers, though so we get no deaths. All in stock fighters (say Z-95's) so no 'famialarity with craft XYZ' to be a problem. No force use.. That would be a great battle....

if that happened, who would you say would win?

Tossk
10 June 2004, 07:51 AM
Without the force, I'd knock Luke down a few pegs, and it would be very exiting, but in the end, I belive Wedge would win, and I voted for him, by the way.

DarionA'res
23 April 2005, 10:59 PM
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this discussion on a group I am part of, I'm OrphuesDreams on this site by the way. It's a discussion about Wedge the Unsung hero.

http://www.ovcrew.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=138

jedi_lucky
25 April 2005, 06:25 PM
well i voted for corran but thats force user wise...wedge is probably my pick for non force-users. but i have one comment...wheres gavin darklighter??? lol!

lucky
:daala:

Quamis Dorsaan
1 May 2005, 12:29 AM
Baron Soontir Fel is the Empire's Wedge Antilles. End of story

DarionA'res
5 May 2005, 08:49 AM
Well I agree with you on Baron Fel but that's only cause there is no one else, now if they wrote a book series about say 101st Raptors like they did Rogue Squadron then maybe we'd have some others to compare but right now all we have is Vader and Fel, and Vader is to Skywalker as Fel is to Wedge.

Iain Kysler, Jedi Apprentice
1 June 2005, 07:42 AM
Okay. In descending order, you've got...

First: Wedge. Come on, the guys survives both Death Stars, Hoth, Bakura, helps to form Rogue Squadron AND Wraith Squadron, hunted down and killed the pirates that murdered his parents using a Z-95 before his 20th birthday, and has more kills than anybody else in the galaxy. He is THE best pilot.

Second: Tough call, but I'm going to go with Baron Soontir Fel. Formed the 181st, his name sends shudders through everybody, and was a good enough pilot to be accepted by the Chiss.

Third: Almost swapped places with Fel for Second, but...Tycho Celchu. This guy is just so incredibly cool. Alderaanian survivor, graduated the Imperial military academy, survived as a TIE pilot, then ran through the second Death Star's innards with Interceptors right behind him to take heat off Wedge and the Falcon. Tych is on heck of a pilot.

Fourth: Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, though I'm not sure on this one. I think he was a better pilot than Luke.

Fifth: Another toss-up. Going to go with Luke, rather than Anakin Skywalker.

Now, outside of those five, I think that Corran moves up to tie for Third with Tycho, because he was flying with Rogue Squadron after Tych retired.

In the general 'great' pilots category, we've got the following: Gavin Darklighter, Myn Donos (yes, he is certainly underappreciated), Wes Janson, Hobbie Klivian, Jaina Solo (I didn't think THAT much of the Solo Kids' piloting skills), and MAYBE Kyp Durron.

Go ahead. Chew it apart any way you'd like. That's what we post for, isn't it? :)

Darthvegeta800
13 June 2005, 09:52 AM
What no Vader/Anakin? I'd pick him. But I prefer Fel. Though in the end i'd have to admit... it's probably Horn or Wedge over Fel.

EntilZha
14 June 2005, 03:39 PM
Luke or Wedge, Luke or Wedge, Luke or Wedge....I'd say Wedge because he's seen more hands-on starfighter action.

Darthvegeta800
14 June 2005, 10:20 PM
Wedge over Luke. Luke is a good pilot but not specialized. He does have the force to aid him but I don't think he's truly one of the top 5 out there.

Drendar Morevo
15 June 2005, 06:38 PM
What? no Ooryl Qrrg the surgical shooting gand pilot?

Hobbie only dies in the novelization written by KJA, who most star wars fans know is about as close to sithspawn as you can get. Everywhere else, he is alive.

Tycho got shot down by in the battle of adumar in all fairness while flying a Blade-32 and going against a TIE interceptor, not exactly a fair match.

Best Pilots in order of personal preference
1.Wedge Antilles
2.Luke Skywalker
3.Han Solo
4.Darth Vader
5.Corran Horn
6.Soontir Fel
7.Jagged Fel
8.Ooryl Qrrg
9.Wes Janson
10.Tycho Chelcu
Almost.Voort 'Piggy' Sa-Birring

hisham
15 June 2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Drendar Morevo
Hobbie only dies in the novelization written by KJA,
Don't you mean DFG, man?

Drendar Morevo
16 June 2005, 04:42 AM
It was? I was almost sure it was KJA, after all the shiesslich incosistencies.

Like the turret that fused an AT-AT leg? BS in the highest.