PDA

View Full Version : member signatures

Jess
11 May 2003, 10:34 PM
I am sure I am not the only person who has wondered this..

Why the H@#$ do you feel the need to write 10 minutes worth of Roleplaying trivia/saying/RPG that you did with your friends/whatever as your signature when you post something?

I am sorry but I am on here to read posts on interesting material or submissions or something written by a kicka#$ author, not 10 minutes worth of someone ranting on and on and on about their gaming sessions after they state one sentence in a post...

I just saw one that was over half the page, Why does anyone feel the need to blab on and on like that?
And why isn't there a limit to how much you are allowed to have as a quote?

You know a quote is not 10 minutes worth of one peron rambling...

anyways, there is my rant..I can just imagine some of the things that will be said...lol8o

Jess
11 May 2003, 10:37 PM
I am sure one of the first things someone is goin to say, is" uncheck the show signature box"
I still feel that its a bit much, some of you all, have some kick butt signatures,sayings and so on...

But come on...the ones that go on forever, it seems, holy cow, its out of hand...

ok, done again,lol

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
11 May 2003, 10:51 PM
Actually, I believe that the member whose signature you are referring to has already been asked to trim a large part of it. Forum rules state that signatures should be kept around 5 lines but there is no automated feature policing that guideline because most members can show restraint over what to place in their signature.

Also Jess, remember that you can use the edit option to add things to a post you did within 24 hours so that you don't post twice in a row.

Jess
12 May 2003, 01:01 AM
thanx frobi, still learning all the codes that I can use...

Crymoon
12 May 2003, 01:10 AM
Long signature line are my holonet nightmare... I don't read them and they bother me... Even if there was something great in them they are too long for me to read so I skip them... But because of the length sometimes a simple thread becomes overwhelimng and I can't proceed and read it further... so although I know it I miss some great posts...

But I must say that there are some signatures that rule!
And BTW thanx for reminding me.. have to change the quote..

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
12 May 2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Jess
thanx frobi, still learning all the codes that I can use...

The edit feature isn't code, all you have to do is hit the Edit link on the bottom left side of the post that you'd like to edit. Then edit the post and you're set. Plus it's good to use on those typos that always seem to happen.

Jess
12 May 2003, 07:25 PM
mk,thanx again frobi, I will try and do more with it, cause I do enjoy this forum and BB...

Grimace
14 May 2003, 06:06 PM
Yes...some of the signatures are getting WAY too long. In the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) concerning the rules of the Holonet, it is mentioned that signatures should be kept to 5 lines or less. Now I can see a person fudging this by a line, maybe two, but what I'm seeing is absolutely ridiculous.

We're asking people to police themselves when it comes to signature lines. It's unfortunate that people have taken advantage of what can be put for a signature line.

So, for the sake of all people on this forum, those of you who have more than 5 lines in your signature, PLEASE, look at trimming them down to fit within the guidelines of the FAQ. I'm asking anyone to whom this applies to do it so that we won't have to simply edit people's signature lines and get them upset at the way we do it.

coldskier0320
15 May 2003, 03:41 AM
Oooh, I am not alone. I just thought i was in a bad mood, getting ticked at all this, thanks for proving me wrong;)

mojo1701
15 May 2003, 04:26 PM
I just trimmed mine down to what you see below. I cut out the advertisement for my website. Don't really need it.

Crymoon
15 May 2003, 10:35 PM
Yours is fine... there some that are over a IE page long... (sorry to say I've seen one such so far... :D ) And it's been trimmed now to that size it was longer...

Chris Curtis
16 May 2003, 10:45 AM
As Grimace mentioned, people are generally advised to have signatures no longer than 5 lines. In fact, it's possible that suggestionmay become a rule and thus be enforced soon.

So... everyone might want to go take a look at their own .sig and trim it down to no more than 5 lines. That way you have control over it instead of having it cut down for you. (Plus, everyone will love you for having a short .sig!! :D )

bountyhntr
16 May 2003, 07:02 PM
IMHO, I like 'em especially the ones with links in them. They add lots of flavor to the board. I haven't seen the signature y'all are talking about, but most of the ones I have seen I like and a lot of them change pretty often. So, there's my 2 creds.

Ubiqtorate
1 June 2003, 09:48 PM
<b>Bountyhntr,</b> I'm going to agree with you that <i>some</i> signatures add flavor to the boards. On the other hand, I've seen a lot of the other kind, too - line after line of quotes, cheesy emoticons, links to sites that may or may not be any good, blah blah blah. Any time your signature is longer than your post, something's up. And I'm not saying make your posts longer, if you catch my drift. But yeah, I, like Jess, come here for substance. I don't like having to sift through signatures trying to figure out what the person's really trying to say. I can't count how many times I've seen a post on here, thought, "Ooh, this one's long, I can't wait to read all the good stuff this person had to say," only to realize that it's his signature taking up all the space. The actually post is just a one liner, something like, "Right on, <b>Whoeverpostedlast</b>." Please.

Now, that said, I want to direct everybody's attention upward a few posts. <b>Chris Curtis</b> has one of the best signatures I've ever seen on these boards. Colorful, loaded with <i>pertinent</i> information, and above all, concise. We could all take a page from his book and make this place a lot more interesting, without all the meaningless fluff.

Sithspawn
15 June 2003, 01:42 PM
Actually I like the signatures. Yes I know my own goes into six lines. But then againI had to come up with something after being asked to change my possibly offensive signature that had been on the board for three years. I agree with not not putting images in the sig. though.

Personally I miss the Avatars (ID pictures).

Ardent
15 June 2003, 06:15 PM
I have pic sigs for...oh...just about every other board. Here I just put whatever song I happen to be listening to a lot in my sig. Sure, they run a little long...but what if someone likes what they read and goes out and gets the album? There are a lot of really pointlessly long signatures, though...ones with quotes from Star Wars books irk me particularly. I've already read the books, so I already KNOW what was said...and then you have to think that some people may not have read them...what then? Kinda sucks for them...they're getting some spoilers without any warning.

Reverend Strone
15 June 2003, 08:19 PM
Forgive me Ardent, not getting at you or anything, but the difference between quoting from a song and a book would be...:D

Ardent
15 June 2003, 09:17 PM
Well, the big difference is...do you pay to read a song, Rev?

Usually you pay to listen to a song. Sure, seeing the lyrics can take some of the interpretation out of a song, but hey...if you can take it out, you can certainly put it back in...

Most of us pay to read the Star Wars novels...and having some of a novel's more...classic moments on display openly might make us feel like we'd been jipped of the experience.

Whereas, a refrain from a song on display certainly isn't going to make us feel like we'd been jipped on the experience of a CD (unless reading the lyrics is part of the experience for you).

Just MHO, Rev.

Reverend Strone
15 June 2003, 09:54 PM
Apologies Ardent, you seem to have taken my comment with more seriousness than it was intended to provoke.

Cakhmaim
29 June 2003, 09:18 PM
I am with the majority of you. I do not like the length of the signatures. THat is why I have refrained from even using one. I feel that I get so feed up with all these signatures that are over the five line amxium that I do not want to waste anymore space than they already have.

Tony J Case, Super Genius
30 June 2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Sithspawn
But then againI had to come up with something after being asked to change my possibly offensive signature that had been on the board for three years.

Offensive? Hmmm (wracks brain) no - I don't remember what your sig was? What was so offensive?

mojo1701
30 June 2003, 06:35 PM
I agree with this limit, but I think it should be specified as to what limit to what resolution. I read this at a 600x800 px. res. I see more lines than someone with a higher resolution.

Ardent
30 June 2003, 06:47 PM
I'm usually at 1280 or 1600 for resolution, so five lines for me is...well...probably more like twenty for Mojo. Heh.

Reverend Strone
30 June 2003, 08:26 PM
If someone has a long signature it's because they expect people to read it, otherwise there's no point in having one. It's arrogant to expect folks to read some long-winded thing that in all likelihood has nothing to do with the topic at hand. It's like having to wade through adverts while watching a show.

If someone really thinks their signature offers a worthwhile contribution, then by all means they should have one, but the least they can do is carry the courtesy of keeping it brief. Five lines should be ample for that.

How many users here would repeat their signature behind every sentence they say in real life?

The point about screen res is a good one, and means that some folks with long signatures should appreciate that for a portion of the other users out there their quotes or whatever span the better part of a third of their screen. That's just plain rude.

I'd just suggest that people have a little respect for each other and not allow their signatures to rattle off at the mouth.

Crin Daroota
1 July 2003, 10:04 AM
I'm gonna disagree with you just a lil, Reverend Strone, on this point:

How many users here would repeat their signature behind every sentence they say in real life?

I think signatures add a little flavor to people's character/identity. Since we can't see each other, I don't know you as the guy who always wears a red hat, or has a handlebar moustache, or is really tall. So I like the sigs, when they provide a bit of flavor for the user. Something that makes them unique, and thus I remember them better. Sure, you don't need one, sure, it doesn't need to tell either your, or your character's, life stories. But look at mine--only one I've ever had, and it pretty much sums up the character that my name is based off, a scoundrely twi'lek named Crin Daroota.

One or two lines, I've never had any problem at all with. If you remember why Jess started this thread, it was because one member had a signature that was 1 1/2 pages long. It was utterly ridiculous, and the member has since modified it.

Grimace
1 July 2003, 12:04 PM
I don't think that the good Reverend was trying to say that all signature lines were superfluous. What I think he was trying to convey (correct me if I'm wrong, Rev) is that the people who decide to have signatures 7, 10, 12, or even 25 lines long are really going beyond what is allowed or even needed. Signatures lines are supposed to be short and to the point, not convey a whole story with every word in between included. Some have learned to pack more in their signatures than others, and some feel that it is okay for them to push the limit since there isn't a "hard ceiling" on the area where you type it in.

All in all, I think the general feeling is that signatures NEED to be short and sweet. We (the staff here) ask that people police themselves and keep it within the limits and acceptable. Some people obviously can't do that. Crin, you obviously do not have the problem with length, so any such comments about people not following the rules or stretching the rules don't appy to you.

Sadly, most people who HAVE a problem with signature length probably will never read this thread and will continue to post obliviously until we tell them.

Reverend Strone
1 July 2003, 08:18 PM
I think signatures add a little flavor to people's character/identity. Since we can't see each other, I don't know you as the guy who always wears a red hat, or has a handlebar moustache, or is really tall. So I like the sigs, when they provide a bit of flavor for the user. Something that makes them unique, and thus I remember them better. Sure, you don't need one, sure, it doesn't need to tell either your, or your character's, life stories. But look at mine--only one I've ever had, and it pretty much sums up the character that my name is based off, a scoundrely twi'lek named Crin Daroota.

That is a totally valid point, and not one that I had given much thought too before you brought it up Crin. I totally accept it.

Grimace is correct though, when he states that my beef isn't with sigs that only span the odd few lines (which generally should be all it takes to do that), but with those that start to stretch longer than the posts those same folks are submitting.

PS- I don't think I'd look very good with a handlebar moustach. Feel free to wipe that mental image.
:D

coldskier0320
6 July 2003, 07:57 PM
Yeah, really. I mean, mine recently changed, cause i had that quote (which i still think is pretty kick@$$) for a long time. My new one is more risque, but all in good fun:D Again its very short, but it let's ppl know that I am a guy with a sense of humor. I think were all of the same general mind here though about what is generally too much. I mean, i know some ppl here that probably have like 8 or 10 lines, but its all concise so its not all that bad, and its in a different color, so you can easily skip it if you choose.

BTW: I also, am not the man w/ the handlebar moustache either...maybe its Grimmy...I know I'm the one with a twi'lek chick in each arm...;)

Nova Spice
6 July 2003, 08:07 PM
Well, I only have six lines for my signature. Two quotes and an ad. Something that can be read in less than five seconds. My first quote from Wedge has been my sig since I joined the Holonet. I'ts my favorite line out of any Star Wars literature. Although Shatterpoint may have changed that! Wow, Mace Windu has some very blunt lines in that novel; I love 'em! :D

I don't think my quotes are going to cause a reader to rack his brains. Any longer would be out of the question though. ;)

In agreement with everyone. As long as a quote gets the point across to the other member in as concise a space as possible, everything should be well in order, with no worries. ;)

Lord Kjeran
7 July 2003, 08:54 AM
Chello!

My view on the Netiquette for sigs is that when I first post on a thread, I leave my sig. If I continue to post on that thread, I uncheck the show sig box. Everyone already read mine. ;)

Oh and C.A. Smith's works are public domain. ;)

Tony