PDA

View Full Version : The Seperatist Movement

Eryx
15 May 2003, 02:14 PM
From EPII: AotC we're aware of a seperatist movement that seeks to leave the Republic.

Why would these worlds want to leave the Republic? Even if you assume its because they are seeing the senate as corrupt thats a big step to take to get away from that.

Secondly, what would they afterwards? Would they join together to create their own league or whould they try and govern themselves seperately?

Lucas Carr
16 May 2003, 04:36 AM
Since the Separatists are lead by the Sith, they might very well have used different reasons to convince different Republic members to withdraw from the Republic. Taxes, Bureaucracy, current Republic laws, or what ever.

They told us in AotC that Count Dooku was the leader of the Separatists, thus they have to have created their own organization.

Rogue Janson
16 May 2003, 04:57 AM
This (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11774&highlight=separatists) thread has a little info you might find useful though it doesn't specifically address your question.

Bear in mind that the separatists are made up of major commercial and corporate interests, rather than enlightened democrats. So the things they're likely to be unhappy about are bureaucratic regulations, taxes, corruption (at least corruption that harms their interests), inadequate control of crime and piracy. There may also be an element of opportunism in the movement - these groups have seen the Republic, with laws restricting their activities, democracy and taxes, as a constraint are taking advantage of its crisis to break away.

I think it's clear from what Dooku says that after seceding, the separatists intend to form their own government, but I would imagine this would leave a lot more sovereignty to individual worlds and corporations - it's primary function could well be simply to regulate disagreements between corporate groups.

Eryx
16 May 2003, 05:27 AM
Thankyou, thats a very interesting dicussion.

Nova Spice
16 May 2003, 07:07 AM
Well if you remember in The Phantom Menace, the Trade Federation supposedly was upset about the taxation of trade routes. Assuming that's true, and the invasion of Naboo wasn't totally about rising Palpatine from Senator to Supreme Chancellor, then I'd say the corporate interests in the galaxy were becoming frustrated with Republic economic policies.

I imagine Nute Gunray, ten years later, would have been more than willing to aid Dooku to secede from the government that attempted to revoke his Trade Federation. Lobbyists and other interests would fall in lone, as I'm sure the Techno Union, Corporate Alliance, Intergalactic Banking Clan, and Commerce Guild all did business with Gunray. They probably all felt the same way the Trade Federation did about the taxation of trade routes. Now with someone (aka Dooku) threatening to secede, the other factions could make the Republic hurt and make a real impact in its economy and stability.

It makes sense to me...... B)

Rogue Janson
16 May 2003, 10:55 AM
I think it's actually more like the other way round Nova. The Trade Federation taxes trade routes (maybe by Republic mandate, maybe just because they can), the Naboo dispute this and as a result the Federation blockade the planet in epI.

Nova Spice
17 May 2003, 09:20 AM
I think it's actually more like the other way round Nova.

Sigh, you're right Janson. I just re-read my post and realized I had expressed my ideas opposite of what was depicted in TPM. I haven't had enough sleep lately...I hope that's to blame.

Apologies. Consider my previous post irrevelant. :o

Faraer
19 May 2003, 10:23 AM
Definitely the Republic doing the taxing!

100 BBY: Republic declares the Outer Rim a free trade area and enables the Trade Federation to represent planets in the Senate

33 BBY: Valorum's motion to tax the free trade zones is ratified in the Senate

Rogue Janson
19 May 2003, 11:36 AM
My apologies to Nova then.

I'm really puzzled now.
Why and on what basis does the Trade Federation occupy Naboo?

We begin to see why disputes over taxation shouldn't be the basis for a star wars film...

Faraer
19 May 2003, 12:05 PM
The blockade and invasion of Naboo is a protest at the taxation, a demonstration that the Trade Federation is too powerful to be controlled by the Senate. Darth Sidious promises Nute Gunray that the Trade Federation's defiance will be a rallying point for potential Senate allies, and a warning to other worlds that don't fall in line with the Federations's exploitation. Naboo is chosen because it's militarily weak and because its senator, Palpatine, championed the tax. Of course, this is all pretext, since Gunray is beholden to Sidious at this point and does his bidding.

We knew that conflict between the Republic and the commerce guilds is what brought down the Republic since the Episode IV novelization.

Rogue Janson
19 May 2003, 12:19 PM
Right. I never knew the pretext for the invasion was quite that flimsy.
So are the Trade Federation really legally entitled to invade planets as a protest against Republic policies?

Lucas Carr
19 May 2003, 12:26 PM
From what I remember of the movie, there are certain circumstances when an invasion can be legal. If I remember correctly Lord Sidious said "I will make it legal." But he might have been referring to something else.

One other reason I think Naboo was the target was because it would cause a sympathy vote for Palpatine when a new Chancellor would be appointed.

Faraer
19 May 2003, 12:53 PM
I don't think the Trade Federation thinks the blockade is legal, and the invasion certainly isn't -- but to these guys, legal is whatever they can get away with through bribery, lawyer expertise, and Senate influence. Gunray is just more afraid of Darth Sidious than he is of the Senate getting itself together enough to take action.

Corwin
19 May 2003, 02:02 PM
To better understand the Sepratists motives you might want to take a look at this.

http://www.holonetnews.com/45/archives/

While many of the stories were written with tongue in check it is gives a very detailed look at the motives of the diffrent players in the build up to the Clone Wars. I also seem to remember reading that one or two former writers on WEG’s Star Wars line contributed to it.