PDA

View Full Version : Republic Novels

Eryx
17 May 2003, 04:47 PM
Are there any SW novels set during the days of the Republic/Rise of the Empire as yet? If so, what titles/authors? Thanx.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
17 May 2003, 05:00 PM
Already Published

Cloak of Deception by James Luceno, May 2001
Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter by Micheal Reaves, January 2001
Rogue Planet by Greg Bear, May 2000
The Approaching Storm by Alan Dean Foster, January 2002

Yet to be Published

Mace Windu: Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover, 3 June 2003
Escape From Dagu by William Dietz, March 2004
The Cestus Deception by Steven Barnes, June 2004
MedStar Duology: Battle Surgeons & Healer by Steve Perry & Micheal Reaves, July & Octuber 2004
Jedi Trial by David Sherman and Dan Cragg, November 2004
Unknown Title focused on the Outbound Flight Project by Timothy Zahn, November 2005

Reverend Strone
17 May 2003, 08:15 PM
Cloak of Deception was excellent if you enjoy political intrigue (as I do), and Darth Maul; Shadow Hunter was fun for a hack and slash action-packed novel, though I didn't really enjoy it as much.

Just my recommendations.

Looking forward to the Outbound Flight novel. Thanks for the info Frobi! :)

Eryx
18 May 2003, 04:20 AM
Thanx for that. Cloak of Deception sounds good and just the sort of novel I like. Thanx again.

Codym
18 May 2003, 04:29 AM
As well as adding a vote for Cloak of Deception, which I concider up there with the Thrawn trilogy as essential SW reads, there's also the excellent Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest series, and the Boba Fett series. Now while these are aimed at the younger crowd, many are actually more enjoyable than some of their grown-up cousins.

Eryx
18 May 2003, 04:33 AM
Apart from the original Star Wars trilogy, the only ones I've read are the Heir to the Empire trilogy by Timothy Zahn (spelling?) which I enjoyed immensely.

I'm really looking for novels to give me ideas for the Republic era campaign I want to run, which will involve much intrique, underworld dealing...etc. Sort of like a darker, more traditional sci-fi style of story.

Nova Spice
18 May 2003, 07:22 AM
Perhaps the Tales from the Empire and Tales from the New Republic novels could provide the information you require. They are books that are composed of roughly a dozen short stories. I cannot remember which of the two contained the story: "Rendezvous at Darknell," but that story, which deals with Senator Garm Bel Iblis, contained some interesting information on the dealings with the early Empire and recently abolished Republic. Its been some time since I read the two, but they might be the sources of ideas that you're desiring. ;)

Rogue Janson
18 May 2003, 08:45 AM
I think the story with Garm Bel Iblis is in Tales from the New Republic. Don't be fooled by the titles, for some reason the majority of the stories in Tales from the Empire don't focus on the Empire and the majority of the stories in Tales from the New Republic don't focus on the New Republic. And Tales from the New Republic had a very strange atmosphere to my mind, an almost melancholy feeling, with stories about sacrifice, torture and imprisonment and summary execution (at least that's what I remember).

Eryx
18 May 2003, 10:13 AM
Interesting. Sounds just the sort of thing I'm after. I'll see if I can find them as well. Thanx.

Faraer
19 May 2003, 10:16 AM
The Rise of the Empire EU is in my view much stronger overall than the other eras because it's more like Star Wars. As well as the prose books (of which I like Cloak of Deception and Jedi Apprentice/Jedi Quest best), have a look at the Ostrander/Duursema Republic comic trade paperbacks such as Twilight and Darkness.