PDA

View Full Version : Awaiting Issue Four

Nova Spice
19 May 2003, 07:41 PM
Just thought I'd drop a line over here and see if you guys had any information on issue four? The OJ forums have been empty for a while; I hope that's a sign of busy work! :D

scottyboy
20 May 2003, 05:08 AM
Yes indeed it does mean that we're busy at work on Issue 4, <b>Nova</b>! Trust me, you won't be disappointed!

Nova Spice
20 May 2003, 07:29 AM
Great news scotty! Can't wait to read the next issue! ;)

And for the record, the community really appreciates all the hard work you guys put into the OJ. It's not like you're getting paid and it certainly takes up time; it's wonderful to see selfless contribution in action! :D :P

LawgSkrak
20 May 2003, 09:25 PM
Time to start my obligatory hounding....

when when when?

And do you have a preview of my article tht I could see yet?

scottyboy
21 May 2003, 06:37 AM
First, thank you very much for the kind words <b>Nova</b>! Comments like that are why we do this!

As of right now, we're expecting to have a new issue released mid to late June. We <b><i>are</i></b> on schedule! So, expect to see the next installment of everyone's favorite online, submission based Star Wars RPG publication in about a month!

Can't say that I can give you any sneak previews, but I will tell you that you'll be happy with what we've come up with for your article <b>LawgSkrak</b>. Trust me, it's going to look nice!

Jim Williams
21 May 2003, 07:14 AM
They're not getting paid?!!? In that case, I too must vocalize my appreciation for the fine OJ work that is done for free at professional quality.

#4!

BRodgers
21 May 2003, 08:01 AM
paid?

BWAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAH!!!!!

Oh that's funny.

For the record, I've seen some of the art for Issue 4 and, as always, the Swaggers won't dissapoint.

In fact, if there IS ever a delay, you can hang the blame on me...I tend to hold the publication up so we can make sure it looks all purty for the populace.

Hey, thats the price you pay for getting a professional looking publications for free kids.

:lando:

Darth_Cassed
21 May 2003, 08:09 AM
Not only are they not getting paid, they're pretty much paying to do it!! Therefore a new tax will be instituted: $30.00 per issue of Online Journal.

Seriously though, they are paying to do it if you think about it. So thanks guys!! Way to replace the Gamer.

Watch it Baron, we'll hold ya to that!

Ardent
21 May 2003, 08:20 AM
Well, while I'm sure most of the staff would be insulted if we tried to pay them, there are things they may want/need to improve the Journal. So...is there? Let the community know. You guys should know we all love donating when we can. ;)

BRodgers
21 May 2003, 08:27 AM
Interesting proposition.....

Maybe inthe future we'll set up a donation system w/ Paypal or something.

I know there are several things I can think of that we could use money for. But that's just me.

:D

scottyboy
21 May 2003, 09:19 AM
Very interesting idea, indeed. We may look into that in the future. But for now, we're just happy with the nice comments that you guys give us and the outstanding work that you guys submit!

I can't speak for the rest of the crew, but for me, the comments are what makes it worth it. I am by no means a pro at this type of thing, but to be a part of the team that puts out a publication that is widely considered throughout the community as the replacement for Star Wars Gamer, makes me a very happy camper!

Without the community the Online Journal is nothing. You guys are the reason and means by which this publication is created each and every time. So, from me and all the staff at the OJ... <b>THANK YOU</b>!!!

evan hansen
21 May 2003, 02:34 PM
The payment thing *is* very interesting -- and is something that starwars-rpg.net has considered in the past, both for the Journal and for our other ventures.

The Journal, all the hosted sites, etc... is all done for free, more or less at the expense of a couple people. The expense isn't enormous by any means. But this idea has definitely come up in the past -- especially when we've had those nasty months where we greatly exceed our bandwidth limitations. :-D

My inclination has always been to keep everything free because most people involved with Starwars-rpg.net don't mind doing what they're doing or paying the little bits here and there that they need to pay to do it. Because the bottom line here is that we all love what we do. I think I can speak for everyone associated with the site when I say that, at least. Of course, my inclination isn't necessarily right. So that *is* an option in the future.

Regardless, it's good to know that people appreciate the hard work -- especially that of the Journal staff, who continue to amaze us all. :)

Darth_Cassed
21 May 2003, 06:03 PM
the Gamer had big shoes to fill, with a big staff. You guys filled it using people from the community and a staff that doesn't get paid. Course you guys deserve our gratitude!

Bjorn
22 May 2003, 08:06 AM
The quality of what you guys put out is incredible! I'm sure many who enjoy your hard work wouldn't mind making a donation to help you guys out. I'd be willing to.

Bjorn

Talon Razor 'GM'
22 May 2003, 08:36 AM
Hey, the OJ is just amazing.Your work has to be a RPG record! An entire fan-based publication, and a darn good one too! Kudos to all of you! You deserve it, gosh darn it. ;)

Good work everyone, I know the OJ gets used HEAVILY in MY campaigns!

Ravager_of_worlds
28 May 2003, 05:42 PM
OJ good... OJ burn!... OJ keep Frankestein warm... [what if the Creature gained access to the Internet?]

I too await to see the next thrilling installment of star wars made by fans for fans with no cover charge... can't wait to see the art... can't wait to see the art... I think I love tracy hart... oops! Did I say that out loud? I love seeing Baron Bob and Tracy Hart's work on both SWAG and at the OJ...

and yes, all the creative folks who write are good too

BRodgers
28 May 2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Ravager_of_worlds
I love seeing Baron Bob and Tracy Hart's work on both SWAG and at the OJ...

[shameless plug]

If so you may want to check out their home site WWW.Raptorsquad.Net which just saw a major update with new fiction, features AND Artwork!

[/shamelss plug]

elfgirl1973
28 May 2003, 08:36 PM
LOL! Yay! I have fans! I didn't get any assignments for issue 4 and probably won't get any for the next couple of issues (hey, gotta let the other SWAGers have a chance at it!), but I am the new Assistant Art Director so my hands will be all over the other fantastic pieces my SWAG homies are dishing out.

LawgSkrak
29 May 2003, 03:41 PM
So it is almost June and Issue four should be here in about two weeks or so...

RIGHT!?!

:)

BRodgers
30 May 2003, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by LawgSkrak
So it is almost June and Issue four should be here in about two weeks or so...

RIGHT!?!

BWAHHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wipes eyes ,

Heh..yeah sure Lawgskrak , if the only OJ art you are interested in this time around is stick figures and movie stills.

HA! Two weeks. Funny!

Didn't you hear? The OJ has a brand new slogan:

"The SWRPG Online Journal. You'll get it when it's damn good and ready."

farr0095
30 May 2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by BRodgers
Didn't you hear? The OJ has a brand new slogan:

"The SWRPG Online Journal. You'll get it when it's damn good and ready."

LMAO! That's awesome. You keep up the great work, BRodgers ! All good things are worth waiting for, and the OJ definately qualifies.

Having said that... I can't wait. :)

LawgSkrak
30 May 2003, 03:14 PM
:(

hehe

LawgSkrak
14 June 2003, 03:13 PM
So is the next issue (4) still going to be ready in mid June to late June?

scottyboy
17 June 2003, 10:19 AM
We had a few hang-ups this go around... a firm release date is to be announced...

BRodgers
17 June 2003, 10:30 AM
Hang Ups: (v.) Waiting for the art to be done because just plain text would be boring.
See: What else you got going on that you can't wait a few weeks for a quality publication?

:raised:

Rogue Janson
17 June 2003, 11:48 AM
Can't you just use plain text and insert some star wars smilies?

:atat: :jango:
:ds2: :wicket:

Pretty much the same effect imho.

BRodgers
17 June 2003, 11:57 AM
Sure we could do that..the aritsts need a break.

So! Issue 5 will be completely art free...except for the smilies of course.

Hope you guys dig it!

Korpil
17 June 2003, 12:55 PM
I object!

At least please use ASCII art! ;)

Donovan Morningfire
17 June 2003, 02:48 PM
To you folks that are so impatient to get the next issue of the Online Journal, just remember this little kernel of wisdom ...

The more time they spend on it, including not only artwork but selecting articles and editing, the better it will be when released.

If they rush it, then the art won't be as good, the articles won't be as cool, and the editing ... well, let's not go there ...

So to sum up ...

The more time these guys spend working on the OJ, the better it will be.

Instant Gratification isn't always a good thing; sometimes the wait makes the pay-off all that more enjoyable. (And to those of you thinking R-rated thoughts ... get yer frellin' heads outta the gutters!)

BRodgers,
Far as I'm concerned, considering the general quality of the artwork in the past three issues, if it takes a couple more weeks due to artist schedules and what-have-you, that's fine with this reader.

Darth_Cassed
17 June 2003, 07:43 PM
I must agree with Donovan Morningfire. HoloNetters, please be patient. The OJ has churned out quality publications in the past, they can only get better. BRodgers and all the OJ Staff work hard, give them time to wow us.

LawgSkrak
18 June 2003, 09:31 AM
Who's impatient? Just curious, is all. I know I post a
lot about when when when, but I'm just joking around. I understand these things take time.

BRodgers
18 June 2003, 09:44 AM
No worries LawgSkrak,

Your interest and continued enthusiasm lets us know that we are doing our jobs.

And thanks for the support Donovan and D.C., we do try to get these things done on time, but the artists do often need a little more time than I give them. Still, in all, given the LONG dry spell the OJ endured, I think it's a pretty impressive testement to the strength and vision of the community and OJ staff that in just a years time we have produced 4 very high quality Online Journals. Thats not a small feat by any measure.

Wow, a whole year has passed since the SWAG ball got rolling and the plans were set in motion for the return of the OJ. Time certainly does fly!

8o

Reverend Strone
18 June 2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Rogue Janson
Can't you just use plain text and insert some star wars smilies?

:atat: :jango:
:ds2: :wicket:

Pretty much the same effect imho.

He's kidding right?

Please tell me he's kidding...

BRodgers
18 June 2003, 11:57 AM
I took it that he was Rev, otherwise my response would not have been as "tounge-in-cheek" as it was.

More like "foot-in-cheeks" if you get my drift.

;)

scottyboy
18 June 2003, 11:59 AM
I couldn't agree more, <b>Bob</b>! That is very impressive indeed! I hadn't realized it'd been that long. Great stuff!

<b>Rev</b>, I'm sure he was just kidding. At least I certainly hope he was kidding...

Korpil
18 June 2003, 12:44 PM
Kidding was he not.

Smilies want we.

Or ASCII art if to include pictures desperate you are.

bagman19
19 June 2003, 05:14 AM
....no art? NO ART??? Okay, I can buy that for a dollar, though I prefer the nice colored pictures. Is it concievable to release the journal with no art early for those sad souls who don't need it, then take feedback and release the final version when it's finished? May also help in playtesting??? Just an idea.

Please don't kill me.

Ravager_of_worlds
19 June 2003, 01:50 PM
art good. patience learn. largest sentence yet. OJ... mmmmmmm....

I'm just amazed at the length of the OJ- and it certainly fills the gaping wound left by Gamer in my GM's soul...

Vice Man
24 June 2003, 08:52 AM
Hello Everyone,

Although I am new to the holonet, as I just joined so I could Play the Destinies Holonet RPG I am Wondering If there is anything I could do to help? I mean I have Been enjoying all this great star wars game material for years And the only thing I did was to submit That article House rules: Customizing Mon cal Cruisers, which allowed you do customize a mon cal cruiser. ( Online Journal Issue 10, April 5, 2001, House Rules: Customizing Mon Cal Cruisers). Anyways I know a variaty of computer programs like dreamweaver and flash to adobe photoshop and ilusstrator. I there is anything I can do do help, Like Help to get a website up and runing or anything else I would be glad to help. The one thing is that unfortuntaly I have limited access to photoshop and l\illustrator but I have dreamweaver and flash so just keep that in mind, otherwise I would be glad to help any way I can.

Sincerely,

Vice Man

scottyboy
24 June 2003, 09:05 AM
Thank you very much for the offer, <b>Vice Man</b>! It is very much appreciated. I can't say that we have anything for you right at this moment, but we may very well take you up on your technical expertise in the near future. I'd love to see another House Rules article if you have the time. Get with me if you're interested.

LawgSkrak
6 July 2003, 03:26 PM
You ppl are killing me.

arrgh

Bjorn
7 July 2003, 04:06 AM
:?

Who are you talking about LawgSkrak?

Bjorn

BRodgers
7 July 2003, 04:45 AM
Probably we OJ folks.

I'm not going to lie to ya, we are still waiting on art from a few folks to complete issue #4. They know they are behind schedule, they feel bad about it, but beyond that there isn't much we can do.

Actually, we could release a sub-par publication that's not completely done, but we aren't going to do that. If it takes another month to make this issue look good then you won't see the next issue for a month. Just the way it is I'm afraid.

scottyboy
7 July 2003, 04:49 AM
Well said <b>Baron</b>! I second that motion!

bagman19
7 July 2003, 04:56 AM
Well, when you put it like that.

:::entire class' heads hang:::

"Yes Mr. Rodgers..."

29 days....

LawgSkrak
9 July 2003, 11:27 AM

I'm such a pain

don't worry, I'll keep my mouth shut from now on.

scottyboy
9 July 2003, 11:32 AM
By all means, <b>Lawgskrak</b>, you don't have to keep your mouth shut! Nobody is saying that. Just be understanding. I know (as well as the rest of the OJ staff) that you guys are anxious for the next issue. But you have to be understanding that we do this on our "free" time. And, as we all know, sometimes that time doesn't come around as often as we'd like. It'll be out soon enough my friend. And we all very much appreciate your continued enthusiasm. it really is nice to have fans! :)

LawgSkrak
9 July 2003, 03:20 PM
ah well, I won't be able to download it anyway as my brother's computer seems to have lost its ability to download stuff. I know there is the online version, but I want the PDF so I can burn it to my SWOJ CD.

ah well

:(

scottyboy
10 July 2003, 04:47 AM
I'll tell you what, <b>Lawgskrak</b>, when we release, get ahold of me somehow and we'll try to work out a way that I can get a copy of the PDF to you! I'd be more than happy to do that for you. Again, thanks for the continued support!

Jim Williams
10 July 2003, 05:18 AM
There would be any number of folks here on the holonet that would e-mail you a PDF file without thinking twice about it. You'd probably get four to seventeen copies mailed to you at request if you left it up for a day...

LawgSkrak
10 July 2003, 11:46 AM
cool guys.

thanks

LawgSkrak
2 August 2003, 01:09 PM
hi there

scottyboy
4 August 2003, 05:00 AM
Don't worry <b>Lawgskrak</b>, we're working on it! We had a few hang ups in the process. But we're working on it. I'm sincerely sorry for the delay.

Bjorn
4 August 2003, 08:46 AM
Thanks scottyboy. :)

Bjorn

LawgSkrak
5 August 2003, 09:09 AM
I know :) I was just foolin.

Donovan Morningfire
15 August 2003, 04:04 PM
I know that I'm one of the folks that preaches patience, but I find myself curious as to just how things are going?

Anychance that the OJ big-wigs could give us a rough percentage of how much is done? Might give us an idea of how much longer we have to wait for the next issue.

(Personally, I'm dyin' to see the artwork attached to the last part of Cadences. I know how I imagined those scenes, but it's still a trip to see your ideas translated into artwork.)

Sherman Shipyards
9 September 2003, 12:25 AM
Still waiting for OJ4. any Idea of what the lauch date will be?

evan hansen
11 September 2003, 05:28 AM
Waiting for the Journal, eh? I am too, of course...

But I don't personally have a specific date, no. And I doubt our Journal staff does either.

Briefly stated, there were some unavoidable delays that included everything from people being gone to typical publication problems to people having children and needing to spend time with their families.

Barring the plague or a swarm of locusts, however, it should be done pretty soon. :)

This is a volunteer publication, so these types of delays are inevitable. The important thing is that no one has dropped the ball -- this I can say for sure -- which is so often the problem with these types of things. People are still working very hard, and I'm sure no one will be disappointed with the final product.

scottyboy
11 September 2003, 05:45 AM
I've got to second what <b>Evan</b> has said... I understand how anxious everyone is for the next issue. Trust me, I understand. But, as <b>Evan</b> stated, some unavoidable events/circumstances/things have happened in the meantime between issues. Things that are not only normal for things like this, but are also things that we can't just ignore or work around.

I honestly wish that we could have had this issue done on schedule or at least remotely close to schedule. But, we couldn't. Trust me, I'm plugging away at it as often as I possibly can. The rest of the staff too. No ball has been dropped... eveyone has done and is doing their job... It's just going a little slower than we'd all like. Sorry folks! We'll get it to you as soon as we can! Which shouldn't be too long now...

AzmoDanakar
11 September 2003, 06:50 AM
I am sure that any delays are not because of a lack of usable content. The quality of the work coupled with the rabid talent of this community ensures that more issues will happen. I am curious as to what the cut-off is for content, how many pages are you trying to squeeze it down into? I have just submitted my first article, and am hopeful that it will make 'print' in this issue.

Ravager_of_worlds
11 September 2003, 09:16 AM
I'd think that all the articles for Issue 4 are pretty much set in stone, since Art is probably the hardest thing to procure (and the last) before any publiation. Any submissions will probably be geared towards the next issue, but what do I know? Besides, the OJ accepted work from me, so the cutoff must not be too high :) Just use some common sense when submitting (shrugs, like I ever do) and decide is something balanced, fun and playable.