PDA

View Full Version : Lucasfilm Will Give In To The Fans

Rogal Dorn
20 May 2003, 04:32 AM
Everyone knows that in business you create a market that was never there before and sell, sell, sell. If the Star Wars fanbase is as big as I think it is Lucasfilm will never stop until the fans stop buying. That means cartoons, tv serials, more films, books into films. It will never stop until the fans stop wanting, and I dont think thats gonna happen. Lucas only made the prequels cos he knew massive amounts of cash would follow. When he retires someone else will take up the reigns, just like in StarTrek. Looking 4ward to the Zahn Trilogy in 2008, and it will happen I guarantee it. Any Thoughts?

Seghast
20 May 2003, 04:40 AM
Er... I really think this thread should be in the Chaos and Misc. section, not Rise of the Empire Era.

Besides, the actors from the original trilogy will be too old to do another trilogy in 2008, no matter how badly fans might want it. CG graphics might be able to replicate the characters on scream, and make them look young, but it wouldn't be the same.

If they ever do another trilogy, it will almost have to be many years in the future from Episode VI, with an all-new cast of characters.

Korpil
20 May 2003, 05:16 AM
Hey man, not to be rude but this forums are for discussion of what happened on these eras, questions about the books, comics, plots, characters, etc...

For comments, rants, raves, thoughts, etc. you should post your questions on the Chaos & Miscellanea forum...

Rogal Dorn
20 May 2003, 05:29 AM
Yes you're are correct. Apologies. My mistake.

Ardent
20 May 2003, 07:52 AM
Well, that's not really true. Ford and Hamill are about the right age to portray their characters in the NJO era. Issues arise with Fisher/Leia, but I'm sure there's a way around it. Peter Mayhew can still look exactly the same as Chewbacca (he proved it a few years back at the MTV movie awards).

However, a trilogy would hardly do it justice (perhaps one novel could be fairly covered by a trilogy), it is something to consider.

Lucas Carr
20 May 2003, 09:28 AM
But they could change the actors if they wanted to and then they could do a movie out of any book.

Reverend Strone
20 May 2003, 05:18 PM
I've shifted this thread to Rumours and Speculation where it's probably more appropriate.

That done, here's my two cents on the subject-

Rogal Dorn is right about this huge franchise not being over with Ep III. There is simply too great a fan base and too large an appettite for more (bucks to be spent) for SW to simply finish.

Does that mean more movies? I'd say without hesitation - no.

But, interactive games, books, tv shows (both animated and live action)- most definately.

I don't think we will ever see the Zahn trilogy brought to the screen. Harrison Ford ain't interested for one thing. If there are going to be new stories brought to the screen (though I favour the small screen as being more likely) they'll almost certainly be based on original material, not existing novels.

starkiller210
21 May 2003, 06:26 AM
I want more movies but, they wouldn't contain that same "star wars" feel with out George Lucas and the Original characters had.

Lucas Carr
21 May 2003, 10:09 AM
From what I have heard, Lucas doesn't want any live action SW TV-shows

scottyboy
21 May 2003, 10:44 AM
Well, I don't really know what to say about this... other than I don't see there being any further movies after Ep III. Lucas has already stated that quite plainly.

I also agree with the good <b>Reverand</b> when he said that if ANYTHING was to come out, it would be from original material, not an existing novel or set of novels. That leaves the question... "what would they be about?" The EU books have covered too much to leave room for another trilogy. If anything was to come out, it would have to be about a whole new era of characters. After Thrawn, after Jedi Academy, after the New Jedi Order era. It would have to be completely new.

However, I do agree that there is plenty of room for possibly an animated or a live action tv series or miniseries (probably the latter). Whether Lucas will do that or not, is a completely different question. He seems to be standing pretty firm in the idea that he's done after Ep III. He owns the rights to the whole Star Wars Universe. Do you think he'll give them up to someone else to expound on? No, I don't think he will. Simply because it was his creation and he's completely content with leaving it where it is (or will be after Ep III).

From an avid fan's perspective, I whole-heartedly wish that he WOULD come out with something more after Ep III. I agree with the fact that the fan base is way too big to just quit. With a fan base this size, he stands to make an a$$load of money if he keeps it going. But I can't help but think that he won't.

Lucas Carr
21 May 2003, 11:01 AM
Why after? It could be before.

scottyboy
21 May 2003, 12:05 PM
Sure, it could be before. But my only question would be... how would you tie it in with the other two trilogies? I can't see how you could. The original trilogy is about the Rebellion against the Empire, correct? The prequal trilogy is about the fall of the Old Republic and the Rise of the Empire, right? What would be before that? Sure, you could do something about the Old Republic, or about the Sith Wars or something. But how would you tie the three trilogies together?

This isn't a criticism of your idea either. I would seriously like to know what you think. I think it could be done. But how?

Lucas Carr
21 May 2003, 12:17 PM
From my point of view it doesn't have to tie in to the other two trilogies, other then the fact that this is SW too. But ancestors, the Jedi Order, the Sith, and many other things (I probably don't know all of them) can be used to tie in to what "we" already know from movies, novels, comics, games, or anything else.

scottyboy
21 May 2003, 01:16 PM
Well, what I mean was... in the first two trilogies, the stories tie together. One leads into another. I don't think it would make much sense to just start a whole new storyline.

Honestly, I think that's exactly why Lucas has said that he's done after Ep III... because the EU books have taken over now. Before AND after the trilogies. However much we all wish it otherwise, I think that books and comics are going to be the best that we Star Wars fans can hope for after Ep III comes out, unfortunately.

Admiral_Atredies
21 May 2003, 01:22 PM
While I would like to see a Zahn trilogy, I don't thin it will happen. One: GL considers only his Star Wars as the only Star Wars, everything else is just infinities and made-up crap to him. Two: Ford is uninterested, I think he belives he's past that little sci-fi deal (typical actor :) ), most likely the same with Fisher, and I dare you to try to get that middle-aged, acne-infested farm boy back to SW. :)

Codym
21 May 2003, 03:34 PM
If the movies were to continue (which we all know ain't going to happen) the logical step is the next generation coming into their own, much like the original trilogy is the second generation doing so. If any characters where to return, it would mostly likely be only Luke, and in a Ben Kenobi type roll to probably Han and Leia's children, who are the first steps towards creating a new Jedi order. Its highly doubtful in this case the books etc would be referenced, except perhaps for the names of the children (who may or may not be twins.) Concidering the structures of all five movies, this to me seems the more likely route, rather than the continuing adverntures of Luke and Han.

michaleg
20 July 2003, 08:35 AM
Hi,

Here's my 2credits...

For the lightsabre fans....

A live action star wars whatever set during the a great Sith War (-4000ANH)

and for the star fighter fans...

"Rouge Squadron" can just here Top Guns "Dangerzone" music :P

There is so much myth in the SW universe and most of actually doesnt pivot around Han, Leia or Luke, that there is plenty of room.

I think a trilogy set 5000 years before ANH and a TV series of Rouge squadron, with inflitrate the base, find the lost supplies, rescue the ambassador type plots.

Michael G

Coder2000
7 August 2003, 07:06 AM
George Lucas does not think the EU crap. If he did he wouldn't have allowed it to happen. I have thought many times how great it would be to see some of the books as movies but that will never happen. The likelyhood of a tv series is slim but more books and comics are still to come.

Tash Horn
11 August 2003, 08:53 AM
personaly i would love to see a TV series set at the foundation of the Old Republic, something like Enterprise is, showing how the worlds came together, there is so little about that time period, the Old Repbulic is just starting to colonize other parts of the galaxy, the Jedi are finding themselves, leave room for all kinds of adventures and add some interesting history to the series.

Rouge8
11 August 2003, 09:39 AM
That would be pretty cool. I like many wish that the Thrawn Trilogy would be made into a movie.

stoic_75
25 August 2003, 08:14 PM
I don't care what shows are produced, just as long as the Gungans are in it.

Rostek
26 August 2003, 09:14 AM
I would love to see a live action 'Rogue Squadron' Trilogy. (T'will never happen of course [only in my mind, 'sigh'])

It would be sweet, with all the modern CGI stuff for a starfighter combat movie that didn't stink hard. Or even a tv series...

Zahn's books would make a good series too, but I like the Rogues more :)