PDA

View Full Version : POO-doo vs. poo-Doo

Jaggard
23 May 2003, 10:04 AM
There has been speculation on the eating habits of hutts and the translations of 3po based on the Poo-doo as fodder and poo-doo as an explative with implied ties to excriment. I am here to offer a third possibility.
That in the language of the hutts it may be entirely possible that Poo-Doo is a base word applied to consumables (hold on) and mostly food; but that the stress of poo (that is a very stressful thing sometimes) as in Jabbas "... Bantha POO-doo." versus the stress of doo (see above :D ) changes part of the meaning. Sebulba kindof stresses both after his crash but not being a native hutt may have difficult with the intricasies of the language.
Poo-doo may infact mean food to be consumed.
while poo-Doo may mean food having already been eaten and digested.
This does put an intresting spin on the idea of Hutt PCs and NPC. It must be hard to live in a world where even those who take the time to learn your intricate and beautiful language can't seem to get it right. "Did you step in food?"
"You pile of food!"
"Lets go eat some BLEEP."
"Dexters BLEEP may not be the most sought after but it has a definately exotic taste."
It might be funny a few times but after a while it would start to get on your nereves. Like people who loudly speak english with the letter O at the end of every other word thinking that it's close enough to spanish.

Reverend Strone
23 May 2003, 02:03 PM
Heheh. Nice. :D

I'll offer a second possibility- Poo-doo has only one meaning regardless of emphasis, that being what food becomes once it's passed through the digestive tract. With that in mind, what if the Huttese translator they got to work on ROTJ was something of a prude, and while knowing what Jabba actually ment, he decide to translate it as 'fodder' instead(this is the same movie with Ewoks in after all).

Perhaps the translator was a protocol droid akin to threepio? I can imagine he would have some kind of programming to avoid using irreverant language when doing his job.

I offer as evidence that Bantha's are supposedly vegetarian, so unless Jabba was likening Solo to sand lichen, I think he actually ment poo doo in the sense one naturally thinks of in hearing the term.

Just my thoughts, although the potential for fun with huttese in one's game, as you have so correctly pointed out, makes your original suggestion most tempting.

:D

Lucas Carr
24 May 2003, 02:05 AM
Japanese is that way. The difference of a long or short vowel may change the meaning of the word drastically.

TDZKRAWKS
11 June 2003, 04:33 PM
lol, that's pretty funny, yet interesting.

Jaggard
12 June 2003, 04:55 AM
Bantha may be vegitarians (I thought they were omnivours) but so are cows and we still find animal parts in their feed. eeeew.

as far as why it really was that way in the movie, I'm willing to bet the writer didn't know the real definition of Fodder (sorry GL but it happens to the best of us. I call your attention to some of the first drafts of SW. In the cantina scene there is a note to the effect that there a large number of 'erotic' creatures where based on the context and the idea that this is not the bar scene from total recall (or Star Wh0res: the return of the Bed Guy) the word intended was exotic.

As far as a droid editing a translation, that could get lots of people in lots of trouble. That would be one thing you don't want in your translator.