PDA

View Full Version : death star confusion

starkiller210
31 May 2003, 02:11 PM
This may sound like a dumb question, but here it goes....

Wasn't the death star plans developed by technicians and scientists in the Maw Instillation not by the Confederacy as in EP. II:?

Admiral_Atredies
31 May 2003, 03:04 PM
According to George Lucas, anything in the movies overules all that found in EU, so it *technically* was created by the CIS. I didn't quite like the way the cameo was handled however, it was a sort of "in your face" kind of way to do it.

Faraer
31 May 2003, 03:50 PM
For the purposes of the EU, Lucas Licensing uses a composite story which explains how the Geonosians, Raith Sienar, Tol Sivron, Qui Xux, and Bevel Lemelisk each contributed to the Death Star. They have a habit of bending the intent of movie elements in order to accomodate EU elements (which I think is unfortunate).

George just doesn't pay much attention to the EU -- he reads some of the comics, says yes or no to really big things concerning the movie characters, but by and large they're separate operations.

Reverend Strone
31 May 2003, 04:57 PM
In the audio commentary on the AOTC DVD, GL says that the Geonosians were among the workers who did indeed build the DS and DS2. He jokes that they were the contractors that were blown up with respect to the comments made in Clerks.

Whether he was joiking about the whole thing of the Geonosians actually being involved in the physical construction- I couldn't tell.

He also mentions that the addition of the DS plans to that particular scene in AOTC was something of an afterthought and wasn't in the initial scripts.

Codym
31 May 2003, 07:04 PM
I think the Death Star's cameo also helps tie the movie to the later saga, showing that the DS was a long-term plan of Palpatine's, and why he built the second one after the first's rather extremely short run. He really wanted that thing...

Corwin
31 May 2003, 11:13 PM
My assumption was always the Maw Installation engineers and others involved in the development of the Death Star were working off the planes Tyranus delivered in AotC. I viewed the planes of the ďSith weaponĒ as being a rough sketch. The Death Star was an engineering nightmare unlike anything the galaxy had seen. It would still take years of work before construction could begin.

A more troublesome aspect of the Death Starís development is an old EU story which claimed that Grand Moff Tarkin was the one that first suggested the idea of the Death Star to the Emperor. However, this can be reconciled with what we know now as being Imperial propaganda. After all, who better to blame for the Death Star fiasco then some one who died on it.

The story would be consistent with Tarkinís personality and his ďrule by fearĒ doctrine. It even seems likely that the Emperor would have placed reasonability for the destruction of Alderran on Tarkin, claiming he acted unilaterally when he destroyed the peaceful planet (and prestigious Core World). This would be technically true; the fact that Vader, who was present on behest of the Emperor stood by while Tarkin unleashed the power of the Death Starís super lazer would be conveniently omitted.

Rogue Janson
1 June 2003, 03:19 AM
There was a really big argument about this around the time epII came out, but I can't find it. Probably a good thing, from what I remember of it.

The Tarkin/Death Star thing is covered in one of the prequel era novels I think, with Tarkin talking to Sienar about a mobile space station with one giant turbolaser.

Faraer
1 June 2003, 07:52 AM
Tarkin has been associated with the Death Star for some time, I don't know since when. The non-EU section of its Databank entry (http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/deathstar/index.html) calls the Death Star '[t]he brainchild of Grand Moff Tarkin', which is either a mistake or means Lucas said so.

Sienar and Tarkin's early plans are seen in Rogue Planet.

Reverend Strone
2 June 2003, 02:46 PM
You know, even if the Geonosians had the plans, it could still have been Tarkin's brainchild.

Tarkin- "Hey Sid, Tyrannus I've just had the funkiest idea. Check it out."
Shows Dooku and Sidious a pencil sketch of a big ball with a laser coming out destroying a planet.
Sidious- "Oh, man that's cool. I sooo want one of those, but who the heck are we gonna get to make it."
Dooku- "I reckon I might know some boys who could be up for it."
Sidious- "Rockin'! Wulhuf old son, I'm gonna make you a Grand Moff one day."
Tarkin- "Cool, thanks." (whispered to Dooku) "Dude, what's a Grand Moff?"
Dooku- (whspering) "Shut up and just keep smiling."

;)

Corwin
2 June 2003, 02:57 PM
But in AotC didn't they refer to the Death Star plans being for a Sith weapon? I took this to mean that it was conceived by the Sith.

Reverend Strone
2 June 2003, 03:23 PM
I don't remember that from the film. Was it in the novelisation?

Corwin
2 June 2003, 08:19 PM
I could have sworn it was in the film, in the scene on Geonosis where they show the plans on the holoviwer. But I might have imagined it; a lot of people remember Briggs talking to Luke on Tatooine :raised:

Reverend Strone
2 June 2003, 10:08 PM
I have the script in the back of my Art of AOTC book at home. I'll check tonight and see if I can find some reference to it in there for you Corwin. I don't trust my own memory any more than you do.:D

Codym
3 June 2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Corwin
But in AotC didn't they refer to the Death Star plans being for a Sith weapon? I took this to mean that it was conceived by the Sith.

In AOTC, they refer to the DS as the Ultimate Weapon, which may be what you are thinking of. As it is, there are no references to Dooku being involved with the Sith until the climatic meeting on Coruscant, nor in the novelization. Hope that helps.

Reverend Strone
3 June 2003, 02:41 PM
In AOTC, they refer to the DS as the Ultimate Weapon, which may be what you are thinking of. As it is, there are no references to Dooku being involved with the Sith until the climatic meeting on Coruscant, nor in the novelization. Hope that helps.

Yeah- what he said. I checked the script last night and could find no Sith association with the DS itself anywhere.

Corwin
6 June 2003, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I guess that's what I was thinking of.

Since I already knew Dooku was Darth Tyranus when I saw the movie for the first time (stupid Jango Fett comic -things like that released before the movie should have a spoilers warning!) I had Sith on the brain at that point.

Strangely I canít remember how many times Iíve AotC. I want to say twice, but that doesnít seem right. I know I havenít seen it on video or DVD, and I saw it for the first time opening night. But I feel like I saw it a second time, yet canít remember where or when.