PDA

View Full Version : the best fighter/bomber

starkiller210
7 June 2003, 07:48 AM
What is your favorite fighter of the rebels and imperials

I like the B-wing cause it is a capable heavy bomber that can still hold its ground in dog fights

For the imperials its the defender, if the empire had mass produced them the rebels would be on there knees

Vanger Chevane
7 June 2003, 08:04 AM
For the Imps, the Defender is it, unless you consider the TIE Advanced.

The only 2 Sienar snubbies with shields, which allows a much larger percentage of pilots to survive long enough to be a challenge for most enemy squadrons, but the ship numbers are always low due to the extremely hig production cost & intricacy.

As an Improvisational Engineer, I can think of several ways to mod up an A-W close to X-W specs without sacrificing a whole lot of speed or maneuverability.

Cakhmaim
7 June 2003, 08:05 AM
Without a doubt the Tie-Defender is the very best snubfighter. It has speed, hyperspace capibilities, lasers, ions, lanchers, shields, and a beam. No other snubfighter can compare. If you have ever flown one in Tie-fighter you realize what asuperior ship this is.

starkiller210
7 June 2003, 08:16 AM
Another thing I should mention is that you should also vote for who has the best fighters all around Hence the rebel and imperial options

Sasche
7 June 2003, 08:22 AM
I had to choose the A wing. In the computer games, I always enjoyed flying the A wing more than any other craft.
And I chose the Rebels on the basis of who I would like to fly for. Somehow the whole shield concern really weighs that decision. And having your own personal hyperdrive is also nice.

Lucas Carr
7 June 2003, 09:17 AM
I like the X-Wing, the focus it gets in the movies might have something to do with that, but it's not the only reason.

Master Tryka
7 June 2003, 09:41 AM
Spoiled by the EU... Chiss Clawcraft

Rogue Janson
7 June 2003, 09:44 AM
For all-round technical amazingness, there's no fighter than can compare to the TIE Defender, at least before the late model Alliance/New Rep fighters (AC4 X/W, B/W E2, etc).

But the X-Wing has to be my favourite fighter. No other fighter has stayed in production from the start of the Rebellion to the New Jedi Order.
In terms of flying (in the X-Wing games), I've always preferred the X-Wing to the A-Wing, for two main reasons. First is the firepower. Often if you're facing a bomber with decent shields, waves of fighters, or heaven forbid a transport or capship, the A-Wing's laser power just isn't enough. The other advantage for the X-Wing is the added durability. Sure, you can use the A-Wing's speed to avoid taking fire, but sometimes you just have to fly straight for a bit and that's when you'll be thankful for those extra shield and hull points.

All in all, there's a good reason why Rogue Squadron flies X-Wings rather than any other fighter.

wolverine
7 June 2003, 12:07 PM
Bwing all the way. Although if we can choose home made fighters, i would like to pick my Iwing.

Doran
7 June 2003, 05:27 PM
TIE Defender for the Imperials, nuff said.

X-Wing for the Rebels, because it has that feel that it will be the ship you'll be mostly flying, plus the strength and somewhat good speed of being a good starfighter.

When Star Wars Galaxies Space Expansion comes, I'll want to fly an X-Wing.

Nova Spice
7 June 2003, 07:19 PM
In this poll, as has been unanimously made clear, the TIE Defender kicks the others out the door. Obviously the deadliest fighter of its time (and the most rare I might add), a single squadron of the buggers could very well send an MC-80 running the other direction.

Now, my personal favorite, much like Janson is the X-wing. It may sound "unoriginal," but the fact remains that Incom truly achieved the perfect starfighter. The X-wing is the single most recognizable snubfighter in the galaxy and has proven its worth over the decades. The only ship that comes close to achieving its aura is perhaps the Chiss Clawcraft (and ironically, both share a similar design).

The X-wing starfighter is and will be, the premier ship for a while to come. I don't see another design outdoing it anytime soon. :D

Darth_Cassed
7 June 2003, 07:50 PM
I'd say the TIE Interceptor, it's a fast craft that takes skill to use effectively....::coughs "Baron Fel!"::

However the B-Wing kicks some serious butt.

Go Skipray Blastboat!

Darthspectre84
10 June 2003, 07:08 AM
Well i know this vote of mine is a little late heh. But i voted Imperials and the TIE Defender. Cause of the reasons listed above....and cause i like the bad guys :D

Out of that list i might consider the Ssi Ruuvi Swarm Battle Droid cause it is small, fast, shields and absorbs energy.

Altman
10 June 2003, 04:13 PM
Ok...so i know i'm the minority here...but i'm reasonably fond of the Tie Bomber. Now i realize it's slow, with no hyperdirve, or shields, and it manuvers kinda like a volkswagon bug in a lake....well mayhaps not quite that bad....but the bottom line is that i'm a tinkerer at heart. The X-wing, Tie Defender, A & B wings are all great ships with a lot going for them, but there isn't much room to play, and eveyone knows what they can really do. On the other hand...give me some free time, and a few salvaged parts...and i'll have one hell of a suprise for the next person to take a pot shot at my piece of ship. (yup...you guessed it...first thing i put in is a shield generator!)

JediJester
19 June 2003, 12:11 PM
Though the TIE Defender is the bomb of starfighters, I still prefer the A-wing. After playing the games, I've found that its weapons may be underpowered (something I'd fix if I could) and its shields and hull aren't that strong, but its speed and manueverability more than make up for this in my book.

Darthspectre84
1 July 2003, 04:18 AM
Tell me about it, quite a long time ago....in a place far far away :P I used to play the game TIE Fighter for the PC. And i remember i had to attack this rebel squadron and sometimes there would be this A-Wings that would come and strafe me continiously. And it was quite annoying :D i was glad though that they had weak wepaons and hull to shoot them down.....

XJ3 X-Wing
3 July 2003, 07:39 AM
As everyone has said before the Tie Defender for the Imps Nuff Said. On a side note though for the d20 version of it where's the Tractor Beam for it? That was one of my favorite parts of it.

As for the Rebels it used to be the B-Wing but when I was constantly being killed due to my speed and manuveribleity I needed to try a different fighter. Then I went to the A-Wing. There I had the speed and manuveribleity but was getting killed in 5 hits. Then the X-Wing. It has it all firepower, speed, manuveribleity, hull, shields, and looks. If I had one though I would beef it up with stronger everything and make able to take out a capital ship one on one (not that I didn't do that anyway).

Seghast
5 July 2003, 02:35 PM
Much as I love X-wings, I based my choice on the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games...

TIE Defender is the best as far as I'm concerned. It's got the speed, manuverability, shields, etc... Everything else is too slow by comparison, even though A-wings give me a good run. Problem with A-Wings is that their hulls and shields are too weak, I think.

Though, I wonder if the X-Wings of the NJO era are superior to TIE Defenders... I suppose I'll have to wait for another X-Wing game to show me.

fallenbythewayside
5 July 2003, 09:23 PM
Yeah, TIE Defender is cool, but it's obviously a ploy used by game-makers to have a power vehicle. I don't count them in the Star Wars universe, myself.

I just like X-wings for nostalga. =)

fallenbythewayside
5 July 2003, 09:24 PM
Also, if I remember correctly, Defenders cost like four times as much as X-wings. So there are more Xs...strength in numbers. Rouges rock on.

Darthspectre84
6 July 2003, 05:19 AM
As i said :) if i could choose another races i would choose the Ssi-Ruuvi Swarm Class Battle droid....hehe so much fun there.

Ronen Tal-Ravis
9 July 2003, 08:06 AM
I like all of the rebel ships but I think the A-Wing is my favourite. It is fast and agile and the look is very good.

LoneStranger2298
9 July 2003, 10:24 PM
My favorite fighter is the Y-Wing, it's pretty durable, good array of weapons, and if you're in a campaign long enough you could do a lot of work to that thing to make it even more impressive. But for me it's always been the look and the capabilities that have endeared the Y-Wing to me

jediwookie
17 July 2003, 08:40 AM
Overall, my decision comes out to be the X-Wing, great balance of speed and power, not to mention its pretty durable. I enjoy flying it in all the sims I play. Another craft I enjoyed flying is the Naboo starfighter in Rogue Leader, great craft, in the games. Apparently somebody found enough wrong with it to stop production of it by the time the Rebels showed up.

the last thing I would like to say is, where are the Phantoms? TIE Phantoms have to be the coolest starfighter all around. Come on guys, a personal cloak? Not to mention the shielding, hyperdrive, laser systems, and right now I can't really remember the rest of the specs. That came out of the old school game Rebel Assault 2, but it was well worth production. In fact the Empire had a lot of them coming out of production if it weren't for the hero of that game, his name seems to elude me right now.

Darthspectre84
17 July 2003, 12:30 PM
You know its funny...no one has chosen the TIE Fighter :) hehe, very few people would.

JediJester
17 July 2003, 01:17 PM
I think even the designated TIE pilots wouldn't choose to fly TIE's :P . Talk about suicide missions.

ethicalsean
19 July 2003, 07:16 PM
Yeah, TIE Defender is cool, but it's obviously a ploy used by game-makers to have a power vehicle. I don't count them in the Star Wars universe, myself.

Yeah, around our table we call it the bull×××× fighter. Going by the X Wing: Alliance stats, its ridiculously faster than an a-wing, more armed than a b-wing, and as durable if not more than an x-wing.... and a fricking tractor beam?

I'll have to go with the X-wing... the best realistic ship in the Star Wars universe :D

Darthspectre84
20 July 2003, 04:22 AM
lol Good point Jedijester :) TIE Pilots were probably sent in at gun point hehe. But one thing that has to be agreed that those TIE fighter pilots thata re good in TIEs would probably be alot better in normal fighters.

Stratus Tel'narus
20 July 2003, 05:39 AM
Well this is a tough call.:rolleyes:

For the Imps, the TIE Defender... duh. While I for one agree its the Munchkin of the Star Wars starfighter division, it's still listed as an option so thats what I picked.

For the Rebels, I went with the A-Wing. Simply because when it came out any pilot with a monster dex could make mince meat out of anything that came its way. And with their sensor jamming equipment they could hit something as big as a star destroyer and get away before they could scramble their fighters.

Hit the star destroyer, not blow it up, thats the key there.;)

coldskier0320
24 July 2003, 10:57 AM
Rebel Overall: B-Wing, idunno, its just so cool.

Imperial Overall: TIE Defender, again, they look so cool and they're the only imp fighter, ever, that would make a rebel pilot break a sweat.

Best EU Fighter: Have we forgotten about the E-Wing?! I love this ship! Just modify it to reduce maneuverability in exchange for stomaching an R6 and you're set!

Coolest Looking Fighter: N-1 Naboo Royal Starfighter, a cross between a BMW Z-3 and the 50s;) (BTW, jediwookiee, there aren't anymore N-1s by the time of the OT due to their great expense)

Coolest Faction-Specific Fighter: Hapan Miy'til. What an excellent piece of machinery! And they came up with it w/o benefit of a whole galaxy of R&D!!!

(BTW, Darth_Cassed, the Skipray is my fav too, but i consider it more of a gunship than a fighter, just me:D)

Dr_Worm
24 July 2003, 01:17 PM
Where's teh Skipray. That is just the coolest hands down. I guess from the choices listed I have to say B-wing.

Errin Orwain
26 July 2003, 04:03 PM
Gotta go with the good old Y-wing. faster than the B-wing. stronger shields than the X-wing. stronger hull than the A-wing. lots of torpedos, room for a gunner to man the ion cannon turret, to keep those pesky TIE fighters off your back. this fighter has it all.
:hobbie:

whiteraven1983
28 July 2003, 09:52 PM
Most fun to fly A-wing for rebels and x wing best all around.Based on lucasarts games TIE Fighter and X wing) For Imp Missle Boat for fun and killing things.

Rogue Janson
29 July 2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Errin Orwain
Gotta go with the good old Y-wing. faster than the B-wing. stronger shields than the X-wing. stronger hull than the A-wing. lots of torpedos, room for a gunner to man the ion cannon turret, to keep those pesky TIE fighters off your back. this fighter has it all.
:hobbie:
All except any kind of manoeuvrability that is...
In my experience the Y-Wing loses out hands down to the B-Wing, even if it is faster, which I'm not sure about. The B-Wing is more agile, has a much smaller target profile, stronger shields and a heavier payload. The last three are very important in a heavy attack fighter, since when you're making attack runs you will take hits.

I've never flown a Y-Wing with a gunner (they don't seem that common), but even with one, anyone attacking from underneath is going to hammer you.

Darthspectre84
29 July 2003, 04:30 AM
Yeah and if ya want some official examples watch A New Hope Again ;) :P

Errin Orwain
29 July 2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Rogue Janson

All except any kind of manoeuvrability that is...
In my experience the Y-Wing loses out hands down to the B-Wing, even if it is faster, which I'm not sure about. The B-Wing is more agile, has a much smaller target profile, stronger shields and a heavier payload. The last three are very important in a heavy attack fighter, since when you're making attack runs you will take hits.

I've never flown a Y-Wing with a gunner (they don't seem that common), but even with one, anyone attacking from underneath is going to hammer you.

Acctually, no where is it stated that the B-wing has any manuever bonus due to engine quality. that makes it a matter of polit skill. my pilot never flies without his gunner. also the Y-wings speed can be a benefit against most other fighters since the goal is to be behind your opponent. a good pilot will use a reverse-throttle-hop or sissors maneuver to get behind an opponent (while my gunner pastes them with the ion cannon, then put a few laser cannon blasts into them and that precious B-wing is toast, and a simple roll will negate that attack from underneath idea, I mean any decent gunner is gonna say "boss bandit 5o'clock low! as is almost any other fighter, 'cept maybe the T-65ac4 X-wing. which is the only fighter that can make me go strait for the hyperdrive engage handle!