PDA

View Full Version : Destinies: Out-of-Character thread

ij thompson
10 June 2003, 11:13 AM
Hello, HoloNetters!

This thread is to announce the beginning of Destinies, a mega-multiplayer play-by-post game to be played right here in the Roleplaying forum. This is going to be a campaign where:

You are free to do whatever you want, independent of the other players.
You can go where you wish, only running into your fellow gamers when you choose to, or when fate decides.
Your character can be of any affiliation (Rebel, Imperial, pirate, neutral) you wish. With this in mind, some other players could end up becoming your opponents!
You can join or leave the game whenever you want, and return with a new character anytime.
Your character's actions can have a direct effect on the campaign environment.

Here's some general info on the game:

The campaign uses no game system. It is entirely text-based, and will call for creativity and respectable English skills on the part of the players.
Players will be allowed a maximum of one post per-day, which will be reciprocated by a GM: a daily post for everyone who posts within that 24-hour period. Any secret actions over this limit may be emailed to me or one of the other GMs (when we have more).
The campaign will take place in Elrood Sector in the Rebellion era, since I have a good grip on this region. In addition, my website and the Elrood stuff released by West End Games can then be used as sources for the players to investigate, if they wish.

It's my hope that we can get a lot of players involved, so don't be shy! Send all character proposals by email to me at elrood-sector@starwars-rpg.net, or Matt Richard at jacob_perez@msn.com including the following information:

Your character's name, species, gender, age, and occupation (if any).
A good description of the character. Since this is a purely text-based game, this part of the application is critical. Make a character that you care about, and whom you want to see succeed. Give me a feeling of this person's personality, and let me know what they want out of life! The clearer you are in this regard, the easier it will be to set up an environment that'll keep your character adventuring for months to come. Tell me about their history, and training; if this person is a stunningly-skilled speeder pilot, I need to know why. If he has an intense dislike of Chadra-Fans, tell me about that, as well. Just remember to email the character profile - don't post it here! That way, if there's anything you don't want the other players to know about your character (Force-sensitivity, secret affiliations, etc.), this information won't reach them. Characters should begin the game as regular, run-of-the-mill people. No Jedi masters or Fleet Admirals, please!
What world you want your character to start on. If you're not familiar with Elrood Sector, just let me know what kind of world you'd prefer. There is plenty of variety in this sector, and I'll easily be able to find a good match for you.
Finally, what equipment you want your character to have. I'll say it now, I'm not terribly interested in the old 'walking tank' style of character. The limit for starting characters is one ranged weapon, one melee weapon, and enough credits for simply 'getting by'. If you want your character to begin play with a ship, tell me about it. Ships will certainly be allowed, but ask yourself: "Do I really need a ship from the outset, or would it be more fun to join up with another player who already has one, or try and get one in-game?". Imperial or Rebel players may begin with some hardware, or even troops at their disposal, but should be prepared to not be able to hide behind them. In this game, the more you got, the harder it gets! ;) Also, a modest droid or pet will be allowed, if the player wishes.

Remember, this is a mega-multiplayer game. You can join or leave at any time. If you've been reading the thread, and see that a band of heroes are currently in combat with some pirates, maybe you'd like to join in as one of the pirates! Then, when the dust settles, you could continue on as this character, scrap him and start a new one, or just bid the game adieu, and go merrily on your way, having left your mark on a really cool encounter... it's all up to you! All I ask is that, if you do wish to abandon a character (whether or not you leave the game), that you let me know privately over email so that I can take charge of this character's fate (cue evil music! :D)

Now enough of my yakkin' - let's see those characters!

Matt Richard
10 June 2003, 01:22 PM
And I (as far as i know) shall serve as ij's humble "Co-GM." Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm glad to see something like this finally launch - it's greatly needed.

:)

ij thompson
10 June 2003, 02:58 PM
That's right, I'm pleased to announce that Matt Richard, of the ever-fabulous swrpg site Dark Lords of the Sith, will be acting as co-Gamemaster on this campaign! Feel free to send him your character submissions, as well! :D

Albert_Rally
10 June 2003, 08:01 PM
hey do you have a problem with covert characters? Like only the Webmasters and the player know the skinny on. If so please Pm I'll respond soon(a day) at the latest with the Ideas

ij thompson
10 June 2003, 08:21 PM
Coverts are welcome, Albert. Give the first post in this thread a good read and you'll see all the character creation criteria presented there. In fact, I've asked that no one post their characters to this thread, but rather email them to me or Matt. That way, people can have one or two secrets!

Anyway, the first post above can tell you all you need to know...

(I didn't PM this information to you because I thought it could be useful for everybody.)

Master_thorin
10 June 2003, 08:45 PM
I.J. Sent my Char to you over the E-mail not 30 seconds ago. Conrad Antilles. This looks like a great Idea I hope it gets going

scottyboy
11 June 2003, 05:35 AM
One thing you didn't mention <b>IJ</b> (at least I don't think you mentioned it, but I could have missed it)... do you want full writeups for characters, stats and all? Or do you just want a detailed "story," if you will, about the character? Either way, I'm still game to play. I just wanted to make sure.

ij thompson
11 June 2003, 09:13 AM
No stats are required, just a lot of good detail! The character's attitudes, strengths and weaknesses are all very important here. Essentially, we're all going to be writing a big story together, so the GMs aren't going to be terribly keen on a character presented in the form of a bunch of numbers!

Also, I've got your submission, MasterThorin, and I should have a reply to you soon. He looks good! :)

Matt Richard
11 June 2003, 03:43 PM
Okay well i know this is nothing special, but for my first REAL attempt to learn something new in photoshop, im quite impressed with myself (LOL) - when i advertise destinies - this is the logo i will be using until i can create more better onez.

BTW - i like the submissions so far - KEEP THEM COMING!

UPDATE - the jpg version looks like crap so here is the gif version

Vice Man
11 June 2003, 07:17 PM
14 I have a Question. When and where will the game start and in what forum/venue will it be held in? Once I know this I will be ready to join. By The Way, I just joined the holonet forum. I never really had a reason to come here till now. laters.

Till Later,

Vice Man

ij thompson
11 June 2003, 07:38 PM
Hey, welcome to the HoloNet, Vice Man!

Okay, now some answers. This campaign will begin as soon as there is a good selection of characters ready to begin. At this point, that's looking like two or three days. Since people can join anytime, we don't really have to wait for any 'slots' to be filled. If you get your character proposal in right away, you can say you were in there from Day One!

We'll be playing right here, in the Roleplaying forum. Now don't delay, and submit your character!!! :D

Matt Richard
11 June 2003, 09:24 PM
here's another logo which is slightly better than my last one

ij and me are in talks right now to make this game great for you guys - so dont be bashful - SIGN UP TODAY!

The Immortal Jedi
11 June 2003, 09:37 PM
Hello there,

I've got a question for you. Is it possible to play a Jedi character?

You said that this game takes place during the rebellion era. Where exactly is the Elrood Sector located? Would it be possible for a Jedi to hide there during the rebellion? If not, I'll go with another character concept.

ij thompson
12 June 2003, 08:46 AM
Hey, Immortal Jedi, sorry for the delay.

In a nutshell, it is possible to play a Jedi in this game... about as possible as it was for Obi-Wan Kenobi in the Classic Era movies. Meaning, your Jedi would have to be very old, and woefully out of practice. Conversely, you could have a very young character, only just discovering their Force-sensitivity, but untrained. No character will be allowed to come with their own 'built-in' NPC Jedi Instructor!

Elrood Sector can be found on most galaxy maps (such as the one on page 208 of the d20 RCRB ) in the lower-left corner of the image. It is detailed primarily in the WEG supplements Planets of the Galaxy and Operation: Elrood, and at my website (click the link at left). It is a very secluded area of space, and is in fact the perfect location for a Jedi to go into hiding... ;)

And remember, email your character to me or Matt, so that not everyone will know your story!

Rogue Janson
12 June 2003, 10:57 AM
Well I've got a fairly strong character idea now, thanks to being extremely bored and watching Dragnet. Just need to read up a bit about Elrood sector so I can tie him in, then I'll write up a description.

The Immortal Jedi
12 June 2003, 11:13 AM
O.K. That's all I wanted to know. I'll send you an e-mail with my character details soon.

Master_thorin
14 June 2003, 07:59 PM
When are we gonna start this monster?

Darth_Cassed
14 June 2003, 10:16 PM
Can we get a tab on who's doin what here, Thompson? We seem to have a fair amount of people jumpin in thus far, hopefully more :D .

ij thompson
15 June 2003, 06:16 AM
Have patience, dudes!

Expect the stories to begin today. I will say there are seven starting characters (Master Thorin, yours was the first received, which is why it might seem to be taking so long! ;) ). Matt Richard and myself are the two GMs at this point (though more are welcome!)... I'll be looking after 4 of you, Richard 3.

Keep your eyes peeled... B)

ij thompson
15 June 2003, 11:34 AM
It's up!

http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?threadid=12907

Moose
15 June 2003, 02:19 PM
this looks great I am def going to begin working on a character...see ya all soon:D

Rogue Janson
15 June 2003, 03:42 PM
I just did the first player post. :P Which was really a little scary. :(
I'm hoping it's appropriate, and the sort of thing that's wanted. I stand ready to edit it for any improvements that should be made.

ij thompson
15 June 2003, 09:27 PM
On the contrary, Janson, that post was perfection. In particular, that bit about Wilo's four eyes caused me to stop everything and laugh my head off for a while!!! :D

And certainly, we GMs want to tailor our posts to your purposes just as much as you do to ours, so that between everyone involved, we can get a 'common tongue' going. It'll take a little while to get the rhythm, but I'm confident we'll do it!

Matt Richard
15 June 2003, 09:35 PM
I, your co gm, will start a new thread for ease of use <<so we dont get confused on who is doing what>> It will be called "Destines (GM: Matt Richard)" Expect to see it sometime tommorow. Sorry for my late beginning.

Albert_Rally
16 June 2003, 11:53 AM
did i need to email to have my character do any thing at all. I also wondered if I wanted to accomplish a general goal. if you would do some slight installments over time or if they would all be on an action entered basis. Either way I will send an action promtly.

Matt Richard
16 June 2003, 01:03 PM
Albert, you do need to email your character to either me or ij. Also, any goals youd like to achieve should be mentioned in your write up, so we may take this in consideration.

Also, after discussing it with ij, I will NOT be making a new thread, but will rather mix it in with the others.

coldskier0320
16 June 2003, 02:52 PM
This sounds entirely awesome. Oooh! I got the chills! I'll email you a character concept soon, IJ but a question: Why not have both GMs in one thread? Wouldnt that be more massive? Anyway, ill hafta check out your site as i have no idea what the elrood sector is like. Oh my, so many ideas, so little time...

Rogue Janson
16 June 2003, 03:24 PM
Tossk, you're a bit behind, see Matt Richard's post immediately above yours. :P

The only thing I'm worried about is that things may get a little complicated and unreadable, with two GMs posting, each doing separate sections for each character, and a load of players all posting for characters acting autonomously. Does anyone else think this might be a bit of a problem, and can anyone think of any ways to mitigate it?

(Oh, and the use of Death Stars as spacers really worries me too...)

ij thompson
16 June 2003, 03:30 PM
D'oh!

That's one thing we're discovering... you guys all have so many different names, it's hard to keep track of you! Between your character names, email names, holonet handles, and actual names, we're losing our minds!

Anyway, rest assured, "Albert" :P , that your character is in the works, and "Matt" :P , is your main governing GM. All you (and any other new player) needs to do is wait for Matt or I to make your introductory post, and you're off and running!

And "Janson" :P , I want to keep everyone together for as long as humanly possible - I think the fun of a game played this way will be in watching everybody grow, come togther, break apart, form friendships, make enemies, and have fun. If people are only interested in their own characters' activities, they'd probably be better off in a more conventional RP thread (least, that's the way I see it...)

Regards,

"I. J." :P

Rogue Janson
16 June 2003, 03:39 PM
And "Janson" , I want to keep everyone together for as long as humanly possible - I think the fun of a game played this way will be in watching everybody grow, come togther, break apart, form friendships, make enemies, and have fun. If people are only interested in their own characters' activities, they'd probably be better off in a more conventional RP thread (least, that's the way I see it...)

I agree that people should be reading everyone's posts, but there will be times - say if you want to follow a particular story, or you're pressed for time - when you'll need to stick with a particular character. But it may be a problem we'll have to live with.
I do also agree that both GMs should be posting in the same thread, btw, I forgot to put that in my last post.

The Immortal Jedi
16 June 2003, 08:11 PM
Uuugh.....sorry I've been taking so long getting my act together. I've been working lots o' long shifts lately, but I hope to be sending off an e-mail with my character description within the next day or so.

BTW: One quick question: You said that a young Jedi character would not have a master, which I totally understand. What I wanna know is, do you have any objection to him having a Jedi Holocron and a Lightsaber found somewhere along the character's history?

ij thompson
16 June 2003, 10:30 PM
Interesting question!

The only answer is, it all lies in your explanation... ;)

The Immortal Jedi
17 June 2003, 09:18 AM
O.K. Thanx. I'm working on the write up now.

Albert_Rally
17 June 2003, 10:00 PM
I still see no stories from the GM Matt. I was just wondering if it was due to character volume or if there was a dramatic reasoning. If it is to be "all in due time":vader: Just getting ansy man. I 'm worse than Obiwan in the cylcing locks waiting to hand Maul his ass(or lower torso).

Rogue Janson
18 June 2003, 12:25 PM
I don't want to sound tetchy, but could everyone please at least put their characters' name somewhere in their posts. It's only going to get harder as more people join.

ij thompson
19 June 2003, 11:57 AM
Good point, RJ, it would be a great help if everyone would do that. And in the interest of everyone getting max enjoyment out of this game, here are some other important factors everyone should consider - whether you're thinking about joining (as a player or GM), or you've been here from the beginning:

1. Joining the Game - there are a lot of people wanting in on this game, and at some point, depending how many GMs are involved, we'll have to draw the line on the number of players. How can you increase your chances of getting YOUR character into the game?

Simple: send us a character that'll make us excited about gaming with. This has nothing to do with having the coolest weaponry, having killed the biggest monster, or being Lando Calrissian's second cousin. Tell us what makes your character tick. What are their goals in life? What do they love, or hate? How do they behave? Give us a character that we can build a world around! A 'freelance soldier looking for work' isn't going to get very far in the submissions process if that's all we have to go on...

2. Playing the Game - Although it's up to the GMs to surround you with a plot and setting, we mustn't forget that we're all telling this story together! As GMs, we'd like to make your experience akin to reading a good, interactive novel. But we're going to lose steam in this regard if the players' posts consist of "I go to the store, buy a blaster, drive my speeder into the desert, kill the giant lizard, come back to town and sell its skin for 200 bucks".

I can't emphasize how important this is. In particular, don't forget that the other players, and whomever might be lurking, are reading your character's story, also. And when the time comes that players start forming alliances, your character could conceivably get left in the dust if his posts have been so dull that no one wants to read them! PLAY your character - make your mark on the game, and be somebody that the other players can get excited about playing with!!!

With this in mind, attention should be paid to the nuts and bolts of writing - spelling, grammar and punctuation are always important. It's not the end of the world, and no one will be penalized for spelling 'Wookiee' wrong (though I know that that one drives some people crazy!), but if people can't even figure out what you're trying to say, we've got problems. Additionally, for consistancy's sake, let's keep it in the third-person, past tense. e.g., "Groba (your character) sneered at the shopkeeper and growled, "after all I've been through? I'll settle for no less than three hundred credits for this giant lizard skin."

3. Leaving the Game - eventually, you may tire of playing Destinies, and choose to move on to other things. Rest assured that this will never be looked upon as 'letting everybody down'. Destinies was specifically designed with the transient player in mind. However, if you choose to go, that could leave your GM with several hanging plot threads. If you'd like to leave the game, simply email or Private Message one of the GMs. We can then go about wrapping up things for your character, or even turning them into a great NPC!

I think that's all I have right now, but if anyone else has any good tips, chime in! Also, I think the thread at the top of the RP forum is full of roleplaying pointers for the uninitiated, or for the old hands, who've fallen into bad habits! ;)

Thank for listening.

Rogue Janson
19 June 2003, 12:18 PM
Simple: send us a character that'll make us excited about gaming with. This has nothing to do with having the coolest weaponry, having killed the biggest monster, or being Lando Calrissian's second cousin
You mean my character didn't get any brownie points for being Lando's second cousin?

Albert_Rally
20 June 2003, 07:03 AM
Well my character's name is Kasun Cain. You will learn the rest on your own terms.

Vex
21 June 2003, 02:25 PM
I am new to the holonet but not new to the SWRPG. I should have my charector sent to someone, sometime soon. This is a really good idea and could be the futureof RPGing. I hope to be a part of it.

ij thompson
22 June 2003, 12:43 PM
Hey, peoples!

Just a heads-up to let you know that I won't be able to make my post tommorow, Monday the 23rd. I've got a gig out of town that's going to take up the whole day. I'll definitely be back on Tuesday, though! :D

ij thompson
28 June 2003, 10:23 AM
Okay, things are going nicely, but we need more GMs! If you'd like to get involed (and I hope you do), check out this thread right here (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?threadid=13052)!!! :D

ij thompson
1 July 2003, 12:01 PM
Okay, folks, just a heads-up to let you know that a new batch of characters is going to be joining the mix pretty soon!

In the interest of clarity, the GMs are going to be doing their posts a little differently. We'll still be handling all our characters in one post, but each 'segment' will be separated by the character's name, thus:

Joe Blow from Idaho

That character's information will then follow. All this means is that the little death stars you've been seeing will be no more (which hopefully will serve to ease your paranoia a little bit, Rogue Janson!).

In turn, it will help the GMs and other players out a great deal if, when you make your daily post, you put your character's name (and just their name) in the subject line. And as always, players are not required to read everyone else's stories - though a player who's been keeping up on all aspects of the campaign will definitely have a more rewarding experience, not to mention probably a few advantages. Gamemasters, of course, should be reading everything.

And speaking of GMs, we need MORE! Check out the thread linked to in the post above, and send in those applications!

Matt Richard
1 July 2003, 09:30 PM
Just as a general announcement - i have been gone the past week (as you could probably tell) and have been busy these past days but will post tommorow for both of my characters.

Albert_Rally
9 July 2003, 01:59 AM
no I can find out what the guy says. I've been aproaching that table for like a week or two. But seriously I have been antsy to play more

ij thompson
13 July 2003, 01:05 PM
Well, I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but...

First of all, my most sincere apologies for leaving everyone hanging for the past week. In truth, my computer's been disassembled the entire time. However, even though it's all now back in one piece, the overall situation is no better - I have to stop GMing Destinies.

It hasn't been an easy decision to make, but things are getting rough up here. My current gig is winding up, and I'll soon be forced to begin taking students until I can find another one. That, coupled with the demands of being a full-time parent, have forced me to trim some activities from the roster. Sadly, Destinies is one of those activities.

Perhaps Matt will come around and keep the ball rolling, or perhaps some other GMs out there would like to step up to the plate. If so, I wish them well, and will try to stop in and read from time to time. But as for me, I'm unfortunately going to have to become pretty scarce around here.

So in closing, I just want to send a shout out to all you guys for playing with me. It was fun while it lasted, and I hope you all get the most out of the rest of your summer! B)

regards,
ijt

Phyrefli
5 August 2003, 11:09 AM
Hello, everyone! After visiting this site for a while, I'd just like to say that the addition of Destinies cemented my decision to join the o/l community. This is a great idea, and a great way to attract newcomers. That being said, I will be emailing a character concept shortly. Thanks.

Jedi_Staailis
5 August 2003, 01:13 PM
Destinies hasn't had an IC post in roughly a month, so I would recommend contacting the remaining GM, Matt Richard, to see what the status is before you spend too much time on your character. If that falls through, you can always check the Trader's InfoNet and the Roleplaying forums for games that are recruiting. Best of luck with finding a game!

Tyrok
30 October 2003, 08:54 PM
Is the game stil acepting players(I've seen a post from today)?

Rogue Janson
31 October 2003, 04:55 AM
No, this game is dead, unfortunately. You must have got mised up with some other thread, because there haven't been any destinies posts for months.

Brishti Kildruun
12 November 2003, 05:52 AM
hey, I was just wondering, havn't been here in a while, and just cameu pon this thread. I was wondering if anyone would be intereted in continuing this game, or if you would like to start another one like it? right now, I like the freelance writing stuff, instead of te dice rolls and technical stuff, just like writing a story for all of us. Anyone wanna start a new one or continue this?