PDA

View Full Version : Burned out on Star Wars. . . .

Tony J Case, Super Genius
11 June 2003, 09:32 AM
Heavens help me, but I think I've reached the "I Don't Care about Star Wars" point.

It occurred to me just the other day, when a friend was going on about the newest NJO book. It dawned on me that I'm like 6 books behind in the series, and just didn't give a rats ass anymore about what was going on. (I think the last thing I read was the hardcover where Courscant was taken by the Vong). I haven't cracked open any of my Jedi Quest books, and I think I'm 2 chapters into Shatterpoint, despite having it for 2 weeks now.

I still get the comics, but it's really just going through the motions. Dark Horse just has never reached the "Damn that's cool" point of the Marvel series for me. Is this a product of the comic being inferior, or am I just not reading comics through a child's eyes.

I haven't bought a SW figure in months. Now a great deal of it is that there doesn't seem to be anything new on the shelves anymore - but I don't even go out looking any more.

And of course most telling, I don't really post around here or to Jae's list anymore. I lurk from time to time, but that's about it. I haven't taken my page down or anything, but I haven't updated it in quite some time either.

*sigh* Hmmm, time to turn in my Star Wars Fanboy membership card, I guess. Weep for me, boys.

TDZKRAWKS
11 June 2003, 09:37 AM
Well if you made this post about how you don't care then u say for us to weep for you, hmmm..... maybe ur through, maybe u'll pick it up again later, it all depends. Do u play swrpg? How many books do u own? How many have u read? How much of the memorabilia do u have?

ij thompson
11 June 2003, 09:43 AM
D'oh! That's no good... truth be told, I can barely watch the movies anymore, but my 3 year-old son's enthusiasm for SW keeps it from losing its charm.

Are you a GM, Tony? Maybe it's time to roll up a character, sit back, and let somebody else take the reigns for a while! :)

TDZKRAWKS
11 June 2003, 09:45 AM
that's basically what i was trying to get at but 1st i was asking if he played it and if he did he might say sumtin' like "Yeah, I'm a GM" then i'd say what u just said bout sum1 else taking the reins for a while.

11 June 2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by ij thompson
Are you a GM, Tony? Maybe it's time to roll up a character, sit back, and let somebody else take the reigns for a while! :)

Actually I swap GM duties back and forth with a couple of other people in my group, and we switch off games every so often. Strangely enough the RPG is the one area that engaging in Star Wars isn't a chore. I don't mind it there so much. It just seems that every other aspect doesn't hold as much joy as it used to.

And it's not so much the movies that have worn on me - its more the rest of the baggage that comes with it. I find myself still looking foward to E3, and I do put on the Old School movies from time to time. It's just the rest of the expanded universe that doesnt seem to hold it's charm like it once did.

I am hoping that my interest is cyclic, and that the waning appeal will come back soon. That's what happened with me and my Doctor Who fanboy-ness. It was at a lull for years, but has slowly been on the rise as of late. Perhaps SW will follow suit too,

ij thompson
11 June 2003, 10:20 AM
Man, I heard THAT! ;)

The last EU book I was able to finish was Rogue Planet. I hated it so much that I've been unable to read another SW book since. I tried to go back and read Splinter of the Mind's Eye, since I've always enjoyed Alan Dean Foster, but I couldn't stay interested. As far as the recent stuff goes, I just feel that every arch-villain and super-weapon presented in the EU cheapens the originals more and more.

And I don't care if you're Luke, Han, or who you are: if you see that much action in your lifetime, you are going to get killed. It's just gonna happen!

Sorry, Tony, I didn't intend to hijack your thread into an EU rant... ;)

:hansolo: "Male Corellian, married, been 35 for the last ten years, seeks arch-super-villain who enjoys being defeated inside of 350 pages. I've tried every other villain in the galaxy, but none of them have had that 'special something'. Could this be you? Mail me at box #1138!"

Darth_Cassed
11 June 2003, 11:49 AM
It happens. It's happened with Star Wars, mostly with games. Eventually I get back into them,what goes around comes around. Don't sweat it, too much involvement. I'm surprised Moridin isn't burned out.....or maybe he is....

farr0095
11 June 2003, 01:18 PM
I hear you, Tony. I find that I get burned out on similiar stuff a lot too. I tend to change my focus for a while and then come back in a limited amount. I've severly limited my reading, down to the new novels but not the Young Adults series (although maybe someday I'll get into them). That means I don't read books too often. My RP is severly limited to PbP and PbeM, which allows me stress relief of a few games and more or less at my leisure (but don't tell my players or other GMs). I don't buy the toys anymore as I stopped getting any joy out of that.

I'd recommend taking a hiatus from a good bit of it. Take the money and invest into something else; maybe a new sports club or photography or stamp collecting or whatever. I hope you don't bug out of the forums here, as you'll definately be missed. Still, take whatever you need to for yourself and maybe you'll find a new focus for your energy and Star Wars can become an occassional passion, if such a thing makes sense.

Albert_Rally
11 June 2003, 01:55 PM
Hey man I honestly was a big reading everything fan boy. Now I haven't even read since wraith squadron. I don't anymore and still now most of what happens through ossmosis. If you feal almost pressured to know you don't enjoy usually anyway so just relax. Besides honestly I know guys that will argue up and down that unless Lucas writes it himself that the RotJ was it and from there Boba is still dead and all that fanatical arguementive issuse area. I just pick up in spells and "catch up" as I'm ready. Besides, who says that interest is proportionate to fandom. We all have thing in life that tear at our focus onour enjoyment of things. Whatever you do don't try to force it. Just follow the advice we as your wellwishers give that will aply and just enjoy it if you can. It's not like loosing your salvation or otherwise equivilant it is just a movie and a book sometimes to us all.(I hope )

Wade Trenor
11 June 2003, 03:26 PM
The thing is, if everyday it's Star Wars this, or Star Wars that, then it becomes a standard part of your day, and not something interesting or special anymore.

I'm sure that if you take a break from it for a while, then by the time Episode III comes around, you'll be back in the swing of things.

Crin Daroota
11 June 2003, 08:45 PM
I stopped reading with Vector Prime myself. Just couldn't tolerate the whole YV/Chewie/Mara's disease thing. I know lots of guys here can argue me all day on it, but I am adamant that the Vong, in my mind, simply do not exist, along with midichlorians, the "miracle" birth of Anakin and Jar Jar.

What I'm trying to say is that I've been through it, dude. Between Vector Prime and Episode I, me and my buddy (who was bigger into SW than I was) were disgusted so much that we barely spoke about SW until Ep. 2 came out. Then we were introduced to SWRPG and the love of SW has been rekindled. Sometimes you need a break, sometimes you just need to focus on what you enjoy most about it. For me, there's nothing that re-reading the Thrawn trilogy can't cure. Pure genius in those 3 books. I still can't figure for the life of me why Lucas doesn't hire Zahn to write the screenplays... Anyways, Tony, you just gotta figure out if you'd rather concentrate on something about SW you love, or just need a break. That's a decision only you can make.

Bombaatu
12 June 2003, 09:15 PM
Hey, Tony: as a change of pace, allow me to introduce you to the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. Excellent books, very much in the vein of Horatio Hornblower (but set in space).

The first and 2nd books, On Basilisk Station and Honor of the Queen, are available for free on the Baen free library (http://www.baen.com/library/) (Click on Authors, then David Weber). Admittedly, the first book is a tad on the predictable side, but it's a good read nonetheless and if you complete it and read the 2nd one, I guarantee you will be hooked.

dgswensen
13 June 2003, 10:00 AM
Eh... you might benefit from just giving it a rest. This kind of burnout doesn't have to be permanent.

I haven't bought a Star Wars figure in years, either. I used to collect them, and the lightsabers, and the Legos... somewhere along the line they just stopped holding appeal -- mostly when I realized I was going to take them out of the box, look at them for awhile, then never do anything with them again. They used to be fun -- they're not anymore. It happens. People change.

I personally watch the original Star Wars trilogy about once every six months, if that. I used to watch it a lot more frequently, but somewhere along the line I realized I knew all the lines, all the scenes, and watching them again really wasn't netting me anything. :) Now that I watch them more rarely, I stand a better chance of getting something new out of it.

As for fiction -- I've never found any Star Wars fiction that I could get into at all. I can't say I blame you for not caring there. I think Han Solo at Star's End was the last SW book I finished, and I was maybe twelve.

But I would say just let yourself take a break. Don't worry about whether or not you're into Star Wars as much as you used to be, or if you'll ever "come back." Give yourself enough time to forget, and you'll probably be back in a while, saying "Damn, I forgot how cool Star Wars was."

P.S. I myself just came back from a YEAR's hiatus on my Star Wars game. I just burned out on it and couldn't stand to do it anymore. I ran the "return" game last weekend, and it's been hailed as the best game I've run in years. People couldn't stop talking about it. One player asked, "Can we play again tomorrow?"

Breaks can be good :)

starkiller210
13 June 2003, 10:11 AM
I am all out ofstar wars books to read. I mean I have read every single one along with most of the essential guides. I even have read most of them 3-4 times. So I figured time to find some news ones...
I picked up the DMC and Spec Ops squad by Rick Shelley, There science fiction but more real than star wars. There great book s if you have lost your passion for star wars books.8o 8o

Jan Tolbara
13 June 2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by TDZKRAWKS
How many books do u own? How many have u read? How much of the memorabilia do u have?

I have actually had the opportunity to meet with Tony in RL. I thought I was an avid collector of SW stuff. When I visited him at home, I was humbled big time! Putting my collection next to his is like putting a hoojib in the middle of the Death Star!

As far as burnout goes, I think the prescription you need is to just take a break from it for a while or reduce your intake. An occasional SWRPG game and one of the movies every once in a while to keep your interest should suffice, and concentrate on something else.

Then again, maybe you're finding out that you're just a Lucas purist at heart. Accepting only what Lucas develops for the SW universe is certainly one way to go. After all, Peter Mayhew is a Lucas purist, and I don't think he's missing all the EU stuff.

In any case, take a break from SW for a while. I think you'll appreciate the time off, and your return to Star Wars will be that much more enjoyable.

ShinDangaioh
14 June 2003, 02:40 PM
Taking a break is the right thing to do. If you want to read Space Opera stuff that has a grand feel to it.

E.E. Doc Smith's Lensman series and Skylark series. Most of them were written before World War II and you'll have to account for that.(OT A WWII Admrial used Doc Smith's writings on space battles to help him plan naval battles)

The Skylark series does tend to go a little over the top at times .

sjard
15 June 2003, 01:10 AM
Too much of anything can cause burnout. i personally have one about every 1-2 months. i'll be on a star wars kick, then burn out on it, switch to (random choice as i never have controll over what i'm interested in at any given time) battletech, then maybe some of the classics, herotodus, plato, shakespear etc, then back to star wars for a bit then on to biographies and computer games etc. if you burn out, take a brake, try something else, it helps.

sjard

ps. Hammer's Slammers, Ranks of Bronze, Starship Troopers (the book, avoid the movie), the Deathworld trilogy and the Pelbar Cycle are all great reads if you want light, easy SF reads when you're burned out on other things.

Sithspawn
15 June 2003, 01:20 PM
I get like that sometimes. A couple of years ago I got burned out GMing after running four different games a week!

Sometimes things just get you down and even the things you like seem dull and boring. Only last week sitting in my living room I looked around at the books and figues and asked my friend 'do I like Star Wars?' She thought I was taking the micky, but I was genuinly serious at the time, and I do fall into the SW collector geek catergory.

Take a break, enjoy something else in life for a while. Then sit back and open up that figure box, hit play on the video (if you wait for the DVDs you're waiting too long :D ) and bask in the enjoyment of that Galaxy far, far away.

18 June 2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Bombaatu
Hey, Tony: as a change of pace, allow me to introduce you to the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. Excellent books, very much in the vein of Horatio Hornblower (but set in space).

The first and 2nd books, On Basilisk Station and Honor of the Queen, are available for free on the Baen free library (http://www.baen.com/library/) (Click on Authors, then David Weber). Admittedly, the first book is a tad on the predictable side, but it's a good read nonetheless and if you complete it and read the 2nd one, I guarantee you will be hooked.

A friend of mine loaned me the first two or three a couple of years ago when I was flying out to the east coast. They were a little political heavy in places, but I mostly enjoyed them. I just never got back to it because I got swamped at work when I got back (then it just fell off my radar). Perhaps I'll have to go back to it as a change of pace.

On the Star Wars front - you know it was strange. I got suckered into rolling the star wars bones in my gaming group - and it wasn't that bad. I think that the catharsis of admitting that SW was no big deal anymore liberated me. We hung out, fired up the BBQ, shot the bull, and gamed for a couple of hours like it was no big deal and not the centerpiece of the evening.

Strange, but refreshing.

nightninja50
20 June 2003, 07:22 AM
Just thought I'd submit my story also.

Tony, I also got burned out for a few months, but, being in school, it kept me busy, but I also did stuff like my other worldly passion, paintball, I did that so much, i read every magazine and book i had, so as summer rolled around, I started gettin back into star wars, so just take a break, do something else for a while, and youll come back round

lynnlefey
20 June 2003, 11:08 PM
A lot of people in this thread have suggested stepping back from your passion for a while, and given some great alternatives. I agree with them, but would suggest maybe stepping farther away than just to another SF series (of books, for instance).

Most of us are fairly complex and intelligent folks. I'd say give another of your interests some time, or go find a new one.

The burn-out thing happens (I think) to most people at one point or the other.

Comics... old and new. I would wager to say that the current Star Wars comics are probably MUCH better than the Marvel series. I owned about 60 issues of the Marvel Series, and remember them fondly, but it's been my experience that stuff is much better in retrospect. I have this thing I call the 'Flintstone Threshhold'... you know, that disheartening moment when you realize something you used to really love is actually crap? Speedracer, anyone? It's happened to me with a LOT of my old comics.

We become more complex and discriminating in our tastes as we age. This has the unfortunate side effect of rendering much of what we used to love inpallatable.

I burned out on comics (the super-hero variety) when I was about 14, thanks in large part to Chris Clairmont's work on X-Men (never-resolving saop opera crap). It took the very different writing style of Allen Moore (and 'Watchmen') to reawaken my love for stories told with sequential art, and that only after 2 years away from the genre.

Anyway, good luck with the recovery from burnout. It'll happen, just give it a rest for a while. Your brain will probably do Star Wars processing in the background, until one day, some Star Wars related thought or questioin will pop into your head, and you'll go scambling through all your material to find the answer. Then you'll know it's time to go back.

Jedi Master Antilles
28 June 2003, 04:13 AM
yer not alone ....
ya know i think i have reached that same point...last book i read was rebel stand..haven't RPed in over a year..and haven't bought or customized a figure in about that long either..of course the figure part is just i go looking but those damn stores never restock anything so none of the cool new figures i have seen on hasbros site are even in stock.but the books and RPing...i think i just got burned out..i didn't like where the NJO series was heading so that killed part of it for me...and the RPng just got way too dull and unintersting..plus working more hours and actually trying to have a life..guess something had to be sacraficed.hell this is the first night i've been back on these boards posting since march 2002. and although i hate to think its come to this..i think i have outgrown wanting to RP. and its not just star wars...any system.i just dont wanna RP anything..i got into D&D again for like 3 weeks and then i was " i'm not playing anymore" i'ts just not fun for me...and the adventure was cool as hell , i just didnt wanna play,like rpng had lost its appeal to me or sumthin. god hope that doesnt mean i'm maturing and getting old,that would suck.and as for the movies i try and watch them but never get around to it..and if i bring one of them to work to watch ..forget it i'm busy that whole night.but i dont think i'm burned out on star wars altogether because i'm still anxious as a 3 yr old waiting for episode 3 to come out.

Puck
28 June 2003, 07:25 PM
Variety is the spice of life.

Originally posted by lynnlefey
We become more complex and discriminating in our tastes as we age. This has the unfortunate side effect of rendering much of what we used to love inpallatable.

A very succinct summation - nostalgia isn't what it used to be. ;) And is, IMHO, why so many revile the recent installments in the star Wars saga. :D

Talonne Hauk
29 June 2003, 01:56 AM
Perhaps you don't need a break, but a more discerning palette. All things Star Wars are not good. I had a hard time accepting Episode I, and therefore didn't bother to collect the merchandise and books from that era on. Episode II has made me interested in reading Shatterpoint, but I'll wait for it to be released softcover or perhaps check it out from the library. But I'm an utter fanatic about the NJO, because it's the continuing saga of the characters I love. So I say take what truly interests you, and keep up with that. But the stuff of minor interest, let it go and revisit later if the desire returns.

Paul Klein
29 July 2003, 01:17 AM
I'm not burned out on Star Wars (yet), but occasionally I sit back and realize that most of my free-time consists of reading Star Wars books, writing Star Wars adventures, playing the Star Wars RPG, playing Star Wars Galaxies and talking about Star Wars with my friends.

Star Wars
Star Wars
Star Wars!

I would like some more variety in my life. While I love Star Wars, and I have fun when I'm doing it, I wish I had more diverse interests.

I doubt, Tony, that you will lose forever your passion for Star Wars. But you will find in your life that even your passions will grow and diminish - and back again. But don't be afraid to diversify your passions a bit more too.