PDA

View Full Version : SPOILERS: Who will this Ep.3 character be?

MikeLynch
12 June 2003, 04:35 AM
Apparently, starwars.com's Hyperspace service has revealed that an Expanded Universe character is appearing in Episode III.

Anybody have more facts than that? It looks like no further detail was revealed, but you never know.

Speculations?
Right now, I'm thinking Thrawn.

Nova Spice
12 June 2003, 07:50 AM
I saw this report on www.theforce.net and the first character that came to mind surprisingly wasn't Thrawn. The character that immediately stood out to me was the one and only Garm Bel Iblis. He was the Corellian Senator during the end of the Republic and thus would make a good candidate to join the cast. By my estimates Garm would be somewhere between thirty-one and thirty-three years of age.

TDZKRAWKS
12 June 2003, 03:41 PM
Oh yes, Garm i remember him, he had sumtin' to do w/han what book was Garm in again?

Nova Spice
12 June 2003, 05:06 PM
Oh yes, Garm i remember him, he had sumtin' to do w/han what book was Garm in again?

Are you sure you remember Garm? Because Han has nothing to do with Garm Bel Iblis, save for one moment in his childhood.

He appears in:

-Tales of the New Republic (Rendezvous at Darknell)
-The Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command)
-The Hand of Thrawn Duology (Specter of the Past, Vision of the Future)
-The New Jedi Order Series

All in all, he's probably the most prolific EU character with connections to the prequel era. He's definitely one of the common names in the Expanded Universe. Are you sure you really know who he is? :raised:

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack off topic. Continue debating who you think'll be in Episode III.

MikeLynch
13 June 2003, 02:11 AM
I'd say the odds are fifty-fifty between Garm and Thrawn. I think Garm is a more politically significant character, and I would PREFER to see him, but Thrawn is so much more instantly recognizable, you know? Plus, since we don't have reliable info on Chiss lifespans (do we?), it would be possible to work him in with roughly the same look.

I'm just trying to think like Lucas here. He seems to me to be more inclined to include Thrawn than Garm. With Garm, unless he's named (and he might be, but I suspect the EU character will be as prominent as Sly Moore), people will be like "who's that guy?"

Although -- who would play a somewhat younger Garm? James Coburn or Jack Palance would be great for an older Garm, but younger... Jason Statham with a lot of extra hair? James Hetfield?

Maybe he's going to go with a very young Mara Jade. Cut to a scene where Palpatine is cleaning up after a precocious red-headed toddler in his evil secret lair.

Whoever the EU character is, it seems likely that it'll be someone who's in the official site's Databank. And they have to be old enough.

Jorus C'baoth?
Villie?
Young Isard?
Xizor?
Nym???

Jaggard
13 June 2003, 06:46 AM
How about some one less powerful.
Like Winter (Princesses buddy)
or the bald dark jedi girl in the comics now, who was an idea for episode one; a character sketch and outline for Ep2 but dropped both times. The creator of the consept was disappointed when they still didn't have a strong female sith like character. Or how about that Qui Xux woman who was responsible for building so many of the empires ultimate weapons. I doubt but feel the need to mention Callista and the eye of palpatine.
Did they say for sure that the character hadn't appeared before like the lovely Twi'lek jedi or is it the jedi who trained her (the dude who looks like an extra on a cowboys and indians movie). How big a deal are we talking, ET in the senate, Tc-14, Aurra sing, or Mon Mothma.

Korpil
13 June 2003, 07:15 AM
I believe that even if this character gets a single cameo, it must be easily recognizable... I mean you can put a human in the senate and it could be Garm Bel Iblis or whoever you want and nobody will notice...

Besides bear in mind that Pablo Hidalgo provided character reference for the costume, so it has to be a character that has been represented many times before in, again, a very recognizable way

MikeLynch
13 June 2003, 10:22 AM
Did he? I didn't hear about the Pablo Hidalgo bit. If he had to do reference for a "costume," then it probably isn't Thrawn, which is just as well, as that means continuity will be maintained for him. Could indeed be Jorus......

Aurra Sing doesn't count as an EU character because she appeared first (or was "introduced," anyway) in TPM. Hence, she's canonical.

Mon Mothma is also very canonical. (RotJ)

The bald dark Jedi chick -- I can't think of her name, as I'm waiting for Republic to be anthologized before buying it -- is a distinct possibility. I can't speak to how likely it is, though, because I know next to nothing about her as a character.

It could very well be Aayla Secura (the Twi'lek Jedi chick), but I would see that as a betrayal of sorts. She was orIGinally an EU character, but got "canon-ized" (hm, Pope Aayla the First -- eh, maybe not). It would just be a big empty tease for them to say "hey, an EU character is in Episode III -- oh, but she was already in Episode II."

Now, if they put Quinlan Vos in there (the cowboys and Indians dude), that'd be something. But my hope is it'll be someone of greater significance, like Bel Iblis or Jorus.

I know! I know! Roz from the video game "Bounty Hunter." She could take Boba under her very literal wing.

Jim Williams
13 June 2003, 10:34 AM
Given the tight relationship between GL and Zahn, I'm thinking it will be a character from Heir to the Empire.

Joruus gets my bet.

Korpil
13 June 2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by MikeLynch
Now, if they put Quinlan Vos in there (the cowboys and Indians dude), that'd be something. But my hope is it'll be someone of greater significance, like Bel Iblis or Jorus.

Hmm... I'd bet on Quilan Vos!

Admiral_Atredies
13 June 2003, 01:09 PM
I say either Jorus or Garm, because it would make the most sense. Each of these is..."more important" than other characters only introduced in comics and video games. We could see Thrawn, very yung, but since Chiss reach full maturity at Human's regular puberty age, he might only be 14 or 15 years old and look like an adult! Now there would be a sight to see...

wolverine
13 June 2003, 03:04 PM
Ok. First off, Garm was not in The first part of the Thrawn trilogy, but the mention of when he and young Han had met came in Dark force rising. It was while Han was at school in the Corellian system.

How tall is this Actor?? It could be Marsha (the drall who helped the solos in the Corellian trilogy..

Or it could be Karrde...

Or Pellaion. (SP)

OR.. Booster terrik..!!!!!!!!!!!

Kanner Ra'an
13 June 2003, 03:29 PM
Ok i can tell you that its 90% most likly that it wont be Thrawn. He would have still been in Chiss space at the time, he did serve with them for long enough to be given a capital ship. So any hopes of Thrawn making an appearance are probably simply wishful thinking. The origional Jorus or Garm Bel Iblis arereasonable possibilities, it fits right into the timeline, but right now a lot of focus is off the post rebellion stuff and into the prequel era. My money is on one of the characters who has popped up in comics and such. Quinlan Vos would be cool, as would that Caamasi Yenic (sp?) that hung out with Nejaa Haylcon, who is a possibility as well.

ShinDangaioh
13 June 2003, 03:57 PM
Poovlah Two-For One maybe. Any of the characters from Han Solo in the Corporate sector.

Corporate sector and the bad guys in the prequels are the Trade Federation and other business interests.

MikeLynch
16 June 2003, 04:31 AM
Wouldn't Ploovo be, like, ten?

And yes, as much as it pains me to admit it, it's much more likely that the EU character will indeed be a Prequel-era character. Right now I'm betting on that dark Jedi chick, or someone else in the Republic comic series. But IF we were specifically told "it's an EU character from the NR-era novels," then I'd bet Jorus or Garm. Wishful thinking, alas.

Jaggard
16 June 2003, 06:32 AM
Yes I know that Aurra and Mon are cannon. I'm useing them as time and importance scale referances. If the new character is on screen for as long as Aurra then it's not much to get excited about.

It just occured to me that it might even be someone further down the chain. Bullox and blue max? or how about the famous Shi'do anthropologist Hole (sp?), that would be a rip as he is a shape shifter and would look like someone else. OOOO, How about A'shared Hett the tusken Jedi apprentice.

Jaggard
16 June 2003, 06:43 AM
I couldn't find my last post so here is another.
It dawned on me that it's possible that its the cyborg Inquisitor, or Black hole, or some of those Jedi purge participants or emporors hands.

Korpil
16 June 2003, 06:56 AM
High Inquisitor Tremayne??? That would be REALLY cool!!!!

Krad-edis
16 June 2003, 07:28 AM
If fighting over a planet in the Clone Wars occurs with many ships crash landing, it is very possible that instead of a character being introduced, we may have a whole entire species. If a newly created Vader goes down planet side to investigate for possible Jedi survivors, he may encounter small little alien badasses known as the Nohgri. I bet the CGI for those little monsters would be some cool stuff.

Anyhow, I just decided to add that because I don't think anyone has mentioned it. I would have to say that C'boath, Garm, and Thrawn would be the top three possibilities.

Nova Spice
16 June 2003, 07:47 AM
While discussing this issue last night with two of my friends and watching The Recruit with Al Pacino (highly recommended), they both agreed with me that the most likely candidate is Garm Bel Iblis.

Remember the Big Three who signed the treaty to start the Alliance to Restore the Republic? It was non-other than Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, and Garm Bel Iblis. I would think that this could quite possibly be the film-EU link I've been waiting so eagerly for! :D

Ketmar
16 June 2003, 04:47 PM
First post, Wooohoooo!!!:)
Anyway... As much as I love Thrawn:thrawn:, I think it would be cool to see Garm. Mr.Lynch is probably right in that it will be prequel-era although wouldn't it be awesome if it was a yuuzhan vong! Kind of like a foreshadowing or somehting. Werent the Y.V. scouting the republic around this time?

Ketmar
16 June 2003, 04:48 PM
whoops, sorry, got to get used to this:D . Dang, why won't this post delete?!?!

Nemo Sage
16 June 2003, 07:49 PM
hey

I was thinking about this, and as cool as it would be to have it be one of the Zahn characters, I don't think thats who its gonna be. My Guess is that dark jedi chick thats based off of some of the Ep.2 production art. The one thats shown up so far in the current Republic comics, the bounty hunter playstation game, and the sneak pics from the upcoming clone war shorts on cartoon network. Her: http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2003/02/news20030220_1.html

The reason I'm guessing her, is that we know that lucas likes to look at the comics for ideas. And since she's already a big part of several of the Clone Wars stories.

At least thats my two credits

~nemo

Darth Fury
16 June 2003, 09:17 PM
I think you can rule out mara jade( too young to have a real impact on the story or the audience that doesn't know the EU), thrawn( agian too far removed from the main theme of the story so far and similar EU problems), jorus C'boath( I have a feeling the only jedi that survive and appear in Ep III are Yoda, Anikin and Obi-Wan), I think it could be either the bald Dark Jedi chick or senator Iblis.

MikeLynch
17 June 2003, 02:03 AM
Actually, Jorus' timeline is pretty solidly established. He was the "Jedi advisor" to Palpatine, whatever that means -- which indicates that, like Mace Windu, he would appear at the start of Episode III if nowhere else. IIRC, Jorus' fate was sealed with the Outbound Flight project, of which he was part. It never returned, and it wasn't until many years later that his insane clone Joruus showed up.

wolverine
17 June 2003, 03:15 AM
I wonder if we have actually already seen him, but failed to notice?

Valoy_Muniz
17 June 2003, 04:53 AM
I think it could be mara jade. She would be about the same age of Luke and Leia if I am not mistaken so if they are in it (even as kids) so could she.

Korpil
17 June 2003, 05:09 AM
And what's the point in having a baby Mara Jade?

BTW in other news, Pablo HIdalgo reports that when George Lucas visited the classic trilogy set reconstructed for Episode III, he said: "I remember shooting on the original. It was the last thing we had to shoot."

So question for everyone, which sets were the last ones to be used during the original films?

Master Tryka
17 June 2003, 10:33 AM
I agree a baby or young Mara Jade serves no real purpose. I still like the idea of Nejaa Halcyon, just as even like a name mentioned in passing. I have a feeling that's all this appearance will be. Garm Bel Iblis is the obvious and a very good choice.

ElfWord
17 June 2003, 02:29 PM
Garm is a good choice indeed, but there are plenty of other options. I don't think it will be a peripheral character or a character from the comics, as not the majority of EU fans would neccessarily realize who they are. Talonn Kaarde is around Han's age, who is older than Luke, so it could be that he is a child in the movie. Perhaps a bounty hunter? Who knows how old Zuckuss could be. NJO is the most prominent EU series at the moment, so mayber a character from that era. I get the feeling I'm making some sort of timeline/circumstance error in bringing this character up, but possibly Ikrit?

Kanner Ra'an
17 June 2003, 04:17 PM
but possibly Ikrit?

I think he is around at the right time, but i dont think its him. He's not very reconizable character. Zuckuss doesn't count either since he was actually in the movies, theirfore not EU. Also since most of the people in the NJO were either very young or not even born yet the liklyhood we'll see anyone from the post rebellion eras are next to none. I still think its someone from the comics or new clone wars novels.

Darth Fury
17 June 2003, 08:02 PM
Actually, Jorus' timeline is pretty solidly established. He was the "Jedi advisor" to Palpatine, whatever that means -- which indicates that, like Mace Windu, he would appear at the start of Episode III if nowhere else. IIRC, Jorus' fate was sealed with the Outbound Flight project, of which he was part. It never returned, and it wasn't until many years later that his insane clone Joruus showed up.

Mike I'm not saying that Jorus won't survive Ep3 I just don't thinkGL is going to allow any jedi that appear in the film survive the ending, other than Anikin, Obi-Wan, and Yoda.

MikeLynch
18 June 2003, 02:27 AM
True, but it's not like he can actually show, on-screen, the death of every single Jedi in the universe. Much of the EU depends on the assumption that any film representation of the Purges is going to allow some room for individuals to slip through the cracks (such as Yoda).

The last sets used on the original films -- yikes! I have no idea. Presumably it'd be from ROTJ, but not necessarily a set that made the final cut. Didn't Lucas film a scene with Luke in Ben's hovel back on Tatooine? Or was that just scripted? I'm referring to the scene where he builds his new lightsaber, the one that Steve Perry included in SotE.

Beyond that, the only plausible locale from RotJ that I can think of -- the only one that would seem to not only fit the continuity, but fit it well -- is Jabba's palace.

Korpil
19 June 2003, 10:04 AM
According to www.theforce.net a Chinese actress will star in Episode III, she could play Asajj Ventress the comic Sith Lady.

Check out: http://www.theforce.net/episode3/index.shtml#21226

http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2003/02/news20030225_3.html

Reverend Strone
19 June 2003, 03:03 PM
Yep- that one gets my vote. I'm betting the EU character will indeed be Asajj Ventress.

KagatoIII
19 June 2003, 08:11 PM
So question for everyone, which sets were the last ones to be used during the original films?

Wasn't that the pyer scene on endor? they were running out of time and they used lucas's back yard.

Korpil
20 June 2003, 04:59 AM
The pyer?

BTW, anyone heard the news? Mon Mothma will be on Episode III:

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/production/news20030619.html

KagatoIII
20 June 2003, 08:29 AM
oops, i ment pyre. when luke burned vaders armor. now if he ment the SE version I have no real idea what the last bit filmed was.

Korpil
20 June 2003, 08:37 AM
Hmmm... I doubt the funeral pyre location will be used, since Endor was largely avoided until the Empire selected it by chance to construct the 2nd Death Star over it...

However there are various rumors about a set of the Corellian corvette being built... but I'd think that is probably not the Tantive IV.

MikeLynch
20 June 2003, 08:38 AM
Pyre, as in Funeral Pyre. Though I fail to see how they can make Endor fit into the prequels. Maybe they use the same set to represent a different location. "No, really, it's another planet that looks identical to Northern California."

The chick they got to play Mon Mothma really does look the part. Although I gotta say, I hope her role is very small. Why? Because I'm dubious of Lucas' willingness to stick with elements of her EU-established history. Note that the EU has avoided Bail Organa a lot more than some other folks; that's because they knew he'd show up in the Prequels.

Sirch Akoras
21 June 2003, 06:32 PM
What about.... god, I forget the name, but Corran Horn's grandfather....
Something Halcyon, let me look it up....

Nejaa Halcyon was it (took me a while to find it, the books are very good, I wanted to read the last couple of chapters again :D) Wouldn't he fit in a bit?

Darth Fury
21 June 2003, 07:17 PM
Yes He would fit in nicely but so would alot of other EU characters. I think that the Actress who was recently offered a part in EP3 is the most likely candidate. Looks like we get another sith baddie!!! SWEEET!! Bai Ling (http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/image.cgi?Image=episode3/newspics/bai_ling02.jpg) Asajj Ventress (http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2003/02/news20030225_3.htm) By the way thanks for the hot tip Korpil.

Ketmar
21 June 2003, 11:20 PM
C'mon, someones gotta think it would be cool if it was a Yuuzhan Vong:) .

Kanner Ra'an
22 June 2003, 04:58 AM
Cool, just next to no chance of it happening. Still cool.

Darthspectre84
22 June 2003, 12:48 PM
I would think it would be cool if the YV were to come cause they were scouting for quite a while, even at this time. So possibly show an ending of a comic a YV in the background or something like that.

As for the EU character....i like Thrawn but i doubt it would be him. Jorus might be. Garm a higher percentage. I know of Ventress but i did not think it might be her. Would fit...Sidious trained Dooku, Dooku trained Ventress. She is going to play a part in the Clone Wars though...the cartoon i meant. Any EU character that comes has to have a scene that lasts for a while. So Mara Jade wont fit at all. I would have preferred if they showed alot of characters from the EU, like Joruss. It might be that Joruss is already dead though cause i think it was before the Rise of the Empire that the OUtbound Flight Project started. Its possible it might be Pelleaon cause he joined at a young age the Republic military and as a soldier would have a scene that would extend for abit.

Also speaking of ships and all i think it wa s originally thought of that they might show the Katana fleet from the Thrawn Trilogy. But they scraped that idea.

Master Tryka
22 June 2003, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I'm excited to see who it is, mymoney is on Garm, I dont think Thrawn would fit, Mara is impossible because she is younger then Luke I beleive, and I also agree that it should be some substatial time, thats why I'd go with Garm or Joruss.

wolverine
23 June 2003, 03:08 AM
Or a younger Tallon karrde, Booster terrik, Ysane Issard, Moff floory veru, "Patches".. The list can go on....

Tash Horn
23 June 2003, 06:42 AM
my bet is on Gram too, Joruss would be nice, but i don't think so simply because Zahn is writing that book on the Outbound Flight project and i belive that it takes place before Ep.3 i think it comes out before the movie too, so that kinda leaves him out of it. the Noghri would be pretty cool also, though i think he'd be too young and not really a great fit, but Kyle Katran would be cool to see...there are too many EU characters that would/could work...would have been nice to see more of them...oh well...

MikeLynch
4 July 2003, 02:42 AM
Zahn's writing a book about the Outbound Flight project? Sa-weet! Where can I find more information?

Back on the topic of this thread, I obtained a recent Insider back-issue that contained supposed concept art for Episode III. It was a drawing of Ventress, straight-up. Now maybe I'm confused, but wasn't the character based on an *unused* concept for AOTC? And if their intent was to use this concept all along for Episode III, then does she really count as an EU character?

I imagine this will all be explained somewhere, probably in an Insider issue (assuming that Ventress is the mysterious EU character, which seems likely), but I'm curious if anyone knows exactly where the character's design originated.

Jaggard
4 July 2003, 08:30 AM
Well I have a book called the Art of episode 2 and in it are test sketches of a female sith. Three of them are of Ventress. The blurb states that when they were makeing concepts for episode 1 they looked into a powerful female sith but that idea only survived a short while. Then when they started on ep 2 the concept designers were determined that they would get their female sith. The idea went through many stages and one stage made it so the character could look like anyone to make her seem even more deadly. But eventually they went with Dooku and the female shapeshifter became Zam. One original idea for a female sith was a twoface (batman) like queen with the ritual makeup all cracked on one side.

Darthspectre84
4 July 2003, 08:52 AM
Well Ventress is coming in the cartoon set in the Clone Wars....and perhaps she dies at the end of the wars....or the beginning of Empire's Rise.

It would be cool if they could CGI animation in a special tape showing the future of Starwars....and all the baddies to come. Ssi-Ruuk, Lord Hethrir, Ysane Isard, Warlod Zsinj, Yevethans, the Vong etc. Like showing them rapidly to show that Starwars will live on :)

Jeskan
8 July 2003, 04:40 PM
My guess would be Asajj Ventress. She is a commander in the clone wars after all. Im sure that there are going to be more EU characters that make cameos(something like the Greedo thing in the ep. 1 outtakes).

Reverend Strone
8 July 2003, 05:19 PM
Theforce.net recently posted this info- There are minor spoilers so I've put it in Spoiler text. Highlight the box below to read.

Silas Carson returns as Ki-Adi-Mundi and Nute Gunray.
Bodie Taylor returns as a clone.
Bai Ling will play a senator (not Asajj Ventress as many fans had hoped).

MikeLynch
9 July 2003, 04:22 AM
Weird. I also realized that she had the look for Aurra Sing, who is still supposed to have a role in the Prequels beyond watching a podrace, but I guess that's not Ling's role after seeing that Spoiler text.

Oh, you know what would really suck? If Aurra Sing was the mystery EU character. 'Cause she isn't technically an EU character -- introduced as she was in TPM -- but it would be a royal rip-off if that was their plan.

Reverend Strone
9 July 2003, 02:58 PM
Well, I'd be very surprised if we ever see Aurra Sing in Ep 3. I suspect she was probably going to be the Zam character in Ep 2, but perhaps they changed their minds in the end. Having served her purpose in Ep 1 and helped sell soem merchandise, I think she's been forgotten about.

Of course that's just my speculation.

Nova Spice
10 July 2003, 07:43 AM
I'm still holding on that the EU character will be Senator Garm Bel Iblis. It would make sense for this time, as Mon Mothma is already going to be in Episode III. Garm, Bail Organa, and Mon Mothma signed the Corellian Treaty to form the Alliance to Restore the Republic. Lucas respects Zahn as the best EU author and has used his work in the past (Coruscant-for example).

I have a strong feeling we'll see Garm Bel Iblis making an appearance. ;)

Now, as far as Aurra Sing, I wouldn't go so far as to say she's been forgotten. Jabba the Hutt appears in A New Hope and doesn't reappear until Return of the Jedi. It's entirely plausible Aurra Sing helps hunt down the Jedi Knights.

Dr_Worm
18 July 2003, 03:10 PM
I think it will be either Garm (as a young up and comming tactical genius), Jorrus (as he send the outbound flight project out assurring the death of many Jedi), or Neeja Halcyon.

Darth Fouts
25 July 2003, 07:52 PM
My vote goes for Garm...

But I would really like to see Nom Anor! We really don't have a clue how long he has been in the SW galaxy, and stirring up trouble is what he does. If there was a better time for stirring up trouble than the Republic falling to pieces I don't know what it would be.

Darthspectre84
26 July 2003, 05:09 AM
Truly he is a horrible opponent to face :) it would be nice to see him but i doubt it...would be nice though.
As for how long he has been....he was there before the making of the Remanant, way before. Cause the first picture we see of him is in the Crimson Empire graphic novels. Which i was shocked to see as well as pleased :D But i would suspect that Nom Anor may have been in the galaxy since some time after the formation of the New Republic. Cause he would need sometime to adjust...to machines.

Corr Terek
23 August 2003, 12:15 PM
Possibly it could be Sev'Rance Tann from the Galactic Battlegrounds game. Yeah, she died at the end of the Republic campaign, but there isn't really a time frame for it. So who knows?

Vodokarsk
24 August 2003, 01:12 PM
Aayla Secura had a cameo in attack of the clones (she walks in the background when obi wan is in the jedi archieves, i think), so my guess it is not her, but It could be Mara jade. There will be a lot of jedi killed in the next movie ( and she will fit in to the role jango and boba have had in the previous movies).

BrianDavion
24 August 2003, 01:52 PM
she was also fighting in the arena battle

Kanner Ra'an
24 August 2003, 02:28 PM
but It could be Mara jade.

To young. It says she was brought to Papatine when he was Emperor too.

R2-C9
14 September 2003, 06:45 AM
i dont know if anyone has mentioned this but chewbacca will also be in ep III
ep 3 cast (http://www.starwars.com/databank/ep3.html)

Korpil
14 September 2003, 10:06 AM
Actually in Star Wars Insider #70 they state that a character from the Clone Wars cartoon series will appear in Episode III, let me find the exact reference later, but it says so... Now.. who will that character be? Asajj Ventress? Durge? Are there any other new main characters?

MikeLynch
15 September 2003, 07:26 AM
We have recent confirmation that it won't be Ventress or Durge. I begin to suspect that the Clone Wars cartoon's entire purpose is to introduce this Episode III character, thus rendering it not really "an EU character" at heart (as in, a character of non-Lucas creation). Then again, I could be wrong.

And this Clone Wars cartoon character may NOT be the EU character that they teased.

Yeffan Ooska
19 September 2003, 12:18 PM
According to Pablo Hidalgo in a recent online chat at starwars.com, the EU character, will NOT be Thrawn or Prince Xisor and WILL feature in the Clone War cartoon.

I recently heard that Durge was created solely for the cartoon and not for Episode III.

So Ventress and Garm Bel Iblis get my vote so far...

Kanner Ra'an
19 September 2003, 02:01 PM
Has Bel Iblis been in this cartoon?

wolverine
20 September 2003, 12:21 AM
Well, Iblis was a commander in the clone wars....

MikeLynch
22 September 2003, 08:15 AM
And Pablo himself featured Bel Iblis in the Holonet News thingie, back in the days leading up to AOTC...
I've got high hopes. I'm actually glad it's not Thrawn; that would probably mess up more than a little bit of continuity.

Yeffan Ooska
22 September 2003, 10:07 AM
Just read, that an albino character with white hair and beard, dark, jedi-like robes and a lightsabre, was seen sitting next to Ewan and Hayden on the set of Episode III. They were filming scenes together. Although this won't be the EU character, I included it here because it sounds like a major NEW character.

For the full report, go to: www.theforce.net/episode3

Jedi Master Talon
6 October 2003, 06:55 AM
I'd say it's probaby Garm. Because He played a major part in the Rebelion you just don't see it in the movies. It siad so in the Thrawn Trilogy. I have a feeling It's probably not Thrawn because he was still in the Unknown Regions till the OutBound Flight project and even then he didn't make a big appearence to the galaxy. He was sent to the Emporer. If he is going to be in the movie it will probably be a small part.

MalakiTyrel
9 October 2003, 07:51 PM
I'm not sure it will be Jorrus either. I have read that he has already made a small cameo (apparently in the background in a scene from EP II). I've never checked to see (since I'm not a big EU fan) but I read it on one of the sites (seems like it was theforce.net but I'm not sure).

MikeLynch
10 October 2003, 10:55 AM
What? Jorus? No way! Or, as Obi-Wan would say, "Impossible! the fanboys would be aware of it."

MalakiTyrel
10 October 2003, 08:18 PM
Just what I read. The source was pretty reliable as well. I've never checked though.

EDIT: I did check. Jorrus isn't listed in the credits in either of the two prequels (I checked both just to make sure) so if he does it is an uncredited role. It doesn't mean that the rumor I read was necessarily untrue (since we see so many Jedi in the background of so many scenes) but it doesn't support it either.

Reverend Strone
11 October 2003, 04:42 PM
He did appear briefly in "Cloak of Deception", or was it " Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter"? I can't recall which- one if them anyway, but him appearing anywhere in the movies is news to me.

Jake Sunspot
5 November 2003, 02:10 AM
This thread hasn't seen any traffic in a while, but I think the character from the CW cartoon who will be in EP III is General Grevious, which is disapointing since he isn't a signifigant EU character at all.

I would love to see Garm Bel Iblis or Neeja Halcyon, but of the two I think Bel Iblis would be really nice.

MikeLynch
5 November 2003, 08:44 AM
You're probably right Jake. And that sucks. The Clone Wars cartoon is barely EU anyway.

:rolleyes:

Vash Knives
8 February 2004, 03:30 PM
I have no idea who it might be, but it is definately not Jorus-the Outbound Flight project launched off with him and five other Jedi masters, BEFORE the clone wars-no way it's him, as there is no chance for him to be in the cartoon.
We may be thinking all wrong on this-what if the charactor, is a droid? But, I must say it would be nice to see Garm.

Dr_Worm
8 February 2004, 05:26 PM
You know I am begining to be less sure about Garm, and more inclined to belive it will be Palleon. He is such an important, and great, character in NJO that it would make quite a bit of sense.

BrianDavion
8 February 2004, 07:56 PM
my money says it's ajanni vestress

Jeskan
13 February 2004, 05:44 PM
I have feeling tht Obi-wan is gonna off Assajj Ventress before ep. 3 and we'll see Greivous take her place. My money is that we are going to be disapointed and only get General Greivous.

Nova Spice
14 February 2004, 08:17 AM
I have feeling tht Obi-wan is gonna off Assajj Ventress before ep. 3 and we'll see Greivous take her place. My money is that we are going to be disapointed and only get General Greivous.

You may be right. While I don't object to the idea of a general of the droid armies, I would much rather see Garm Bel Iblis make an appearance just to give a nod to the Corellian Treaty that established the Alliance in the first place.

But, I suppose it's truly up to The Flanneled One and not up to me. I doubt I'll be too disappointed. I disagree with many people and found that Episode I and II, while a tad shaky on the dialogue side, were great films. Episode II was a vast improvement over Episode I. And I believe the same will be true for Episode III. ;)

MikeLynch
16 February 2004, 07:15 AM
TF.N's "just the facts" page confirms that Bel Iblis is NOT in Episode 3.

Nor is Thrawn.

However, sources in the know (see the TF.N page for details, but we're talking about folks like Pablo Hidalgo) say that the role of the EU character in Episode 3 is "not major."

We also have recent confirmation that General Grievous IS in Episode 3, but he is called "the new villain" and thus his role can't really be considered "not major."

So . . . the theory of Jorus starts to look a little better.

Whoever it is, I would wager at this point that the EU character is gonna be one of those background people without lines -- maybe as hard to spot as the ETs in TPM.

stoic_75
16 February 2004, 08:51 AM
Not to worry gentlebeings, I've got the scoop right here. It turns out that Lucas polled his crack team of writers (adopted children) and they all voted for that lovable little wookie, Lumpy. Stayed tuned for more Episode III clips to see what hilarious misadventures that scamp gets into next. Da, da, da, da, da-daaaaaaaaaaaa! Lumpeeee Power!

Apparently, starwars.com's Hyperspace service has revealed that an Expanded Universe character is appearing in Episode III.

Anybody have more facts than that? It looks like no further detail was revealed, but you never know.

Speculations?
Right now, I'm thinking Thrawn.

Dr_Worm
16 February 2004, 07:33 PM

...or Palleon. But then again it could still be Ventress. They could open the film with her being slain or something, thus opening the way for Grevious. Though I still have my credits on Palleon.

Darth Fierce
17 February 2004, 03:56 AM
I personally get the idea that Ventress will be killed off in the second set of ten Clone Wars segments broadcasted on Cartoon Network. That's just my guess, at least. Why do you torment me so, Cartoon Network? I can't wait much longer to see what happens... :P

My current guess is that we may see Quinlan Vos in the movie, and that he may be tied to why we don't see Dooku in the original trilogy.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Jeskan
17 February 2004, 10:10 AM
We know that Dooku will be killed very early in the movie.

Ktulu
17 February 2004, 02:03 PM
Xizor.

I would not be surprised in the least if Black Sun's leader makes an appearance.

Ktulu:hansolo:

MikeLynch
17 February 2004, 02:20 PM
Actually, I forgot to mention that Xizor was also named as a no-show.

Too bad, too. Though I'm not fond of the book, he's an interesting character. And if he appeared in a movie, he'd have to be played by John Saxon, who uncannily resembles the Xizor depiction on the cover of SOTE.

Wedge in Red2
2 March 2004, 09:36 AM

We also have recent confirmation that General Grievous IS in Episode 3, but he is called "the new villain" and thus his role can't really be considered "not major."

Whoever it is, I would wager at this point that the EU character is gonna be one of those background people without lines -- maybe as hard to spot as the ETs in TPM.

The latest Hyperspace members newsletter has come out, and it has an article on the making of General Grevious. So, he is a named part. It says stuff like "while Dooku is the political leader of the Separatists, Grevious is the military leader". There's a documentary on it, and I don't think they would have gone that far for a seriously bit part.

I know we're not on Rants and Raves, but for crying out loud, what is up with Lucas's naming conventions? Honestly "General Grevious". I mean, the original trilogy didn't have any blatant names like that (that I can remember). I can't think of others at the moment, but sometime you just think "who would name their child Grevious". Who would change their name to Grevious? Who would not change their name from Grevious. I mean, it's just about the cheesiest bad guy name ever. Somehow fitting that it comes from a fricking cartoon - it's that 2 dimensional.

Jon

wolverine
2 March 2004, 10:10 AM
Actualy, in the ongoing sparks D6 rise of the empire campaign, we have a few like that.. Major (now commander) payne, general carnage, major catastrophy......One module even had a private parts...

johnnyputrid
2 March 2004, 11:21 AM
Grevious sounds pretty corny, but what about Greedo? I always thought that was a stupid name. In the SW galaxy it must be common to just take any old word and tack on an "o" or an "ious" at the end.

Grevious just looks like a misspelling of 'grievous', which means casuing severe pain or suffering. Maybe somebody took George's dictionary while he was writing the script.

Darth Fierce
2 March 2004, 03:01 PM
If we're on the topic of cheesy names in Star Wars, I'd like to suggest:

--Elan Sleazbaggano (the guy who tried to sell "deathsticks" to Obi-Wan)

--Darth Sidious (An obvious play on the word "insidious")

--Darth Tyrannus

and even possibly:

--Darth Vader (although it's been speculated that Lucas came up with the name "Vader" by deriving it from the German word for "father")

Then again, the "great plaid one" probably had a plan in coming up with these names. I mean they do lead to a more mythological sense in that they describe the respective characters.

Wedge in Red2
3 March 2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by johnnyputrid
Maybe somebody took George's dictionary while he was writing the script.

Not as silly as it might sound. George's spelling is notoriously bad. In early editions of the ANH (or was it ESB ) script, he spelled "Rogue" as "Rouge". Note the first word is pronounced row-g, and is the word used in the movies. The second word is pronounced rew-j, and is a type of reddish colouring make-up used for cheeks. Although given rouge is reddish in colour, it could have been meant as a connection to the Red designators used in ANH (Red 2, Red 5 etc.).

Not to be outdone, our very own Rouge 8 spelled his name the same ;).

Jon

Wedge in Red2
4 March 2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by johnnyputrid

Grevious just looks like a misspelling of 'grievous', which means casuing severe pain or suffering. Maybe somebody took George's dictionary while he was writing the script.

Originally posted by Wedge in Red2

George's spelling is notoriously bad.

Oops. My bad. It seems that perhaps I mis-spelled General Grievous, not Georgey-boy. Something comes to mind about a pot and a kettle :o.

Jon

johnnyputrid
4 March 2004, 08:30 AM
No Wedge, you are right. It is General Grevious. I'm not sure if George had intended it to be a play on the word 'grievous' or just another one of his wacky names. But it is a commonly mis-spelled and mis-pronounced word:

greev-us, the real word, meaning to cause severe pain or suffering,

versus

Greev-ee-us, the general's name, which means George doesn't have a dictionary handy.

MikeLynch
4 March 2004, 09:00 AM
We have confirmation from Pablo that Pellaeon is NOT in Ep3.

Nor is Winter, FYI.

Darthspectre84
4 March 2004, 09:18 AM
The guy looks kind of cool though...like a jedi. I wonder what race he is from now? Anyway the General is going to appear in the Clone Wars mini-series and says that he will kick butt.

johnnyputrid
4 March 2004, 10:24 AM
The official site has said that the good general's backstory will be fleshed out in the EU prior to Episdoe III's release. I imagine his tale will be a very interesting one. The guy sure is one mean looking dude.

There has still been no word on who the EU character is, but my money is on Quinlan Vos. George liked Aayla Secura enought to include in Episode II, why not her former master? It makes a bit of sense, from a certain point of view of course.

16 March 2004, 01:25 PM
There are still a number of books set to release before the movie. maybe GL has worked with the authors to come up with a new character.:raised:

Jame
17 March 2004, 03:04 PM
Are you (the plural you, all the posters to this thread) sure that there's only one EU character in EP3? After all, The George Lucas could put both Bel Iblis and Thrawn in it... 8o :daala: :thrawn:

Anyways, a couple of you talked about how that General Grevious (or whatever it was) would be expanded on in the EU. What section of the EU*?

*And are you talking about the European Union?:D

Kanner Ra'an
17 March 2004, 04:27 PM
Um, its been annouced grevious is the one. So, no Thrawn and no Bel Iblis.

And the EU is probably the new Yoda novel coming out.

Vash Knives
19 March 2004, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Jame
*And are you talking about the European Union?:D
no, Expanded Universe (everything but the movies)

Darth Fierce
19 March 2004, 04:33 AM
At this point, I'd say it's almost academic that the supposed "EU" character in Episode III will be Grievous. Yes, I know many of you will debate on whether he can be considered EU material or not, but I really don't think we're going to get another major (and previously unknown) character beyond him in the movie.

Snib Snub
19 March 2004, 07:26 AM
I doubt Grevious is the EU character their talking about. I'm pretty certain he's another completely CG character and believe Trisha Beggar has already mentioned costuming this EU character...

Kanner Ra'an
19 March 2004, 03:45 PM
I doubt Grevious is the EU character their talking about. I'm pretty certain he's another completely CG character and believe Trisha Beggar has already mentioned costuming this EU character...

The fact that he will be computer generated has little to do with anything. Since so many characters are i dont see how that would eliminate him.

Nova Spice
19 March 2004, 06:13 PM
The fact that he will be computer generated has little to do with anything. Since so many characters are i dont see how that would eliminate him.

Agreed. Unfortunately, I believe that Grievous is indeed the EU character appearing in Episode III. I was sincerely hoping for Garm Bel Iblis to have a cameo appearance with Bail Organa and Mon Mothma.

But, as the news of Grievous spreads, I find that scenario highly unlikely. He's building up more hype than the infamous Duel itself! 8o

Snib Snub
19 March 2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Kanner Ra'an

Originally posted by Nova Spice

Agreed. Unfortunately, I believe that Grievous is indeed the EU character appearing in Episode III.

I'm pretty sure they don't make physical, on-screen costumes for CG characters...or that Trisha B. doesn't work on CG characters...

Kanner Ra'an
20 March 2004, 05:34 AM
For the end product, no. However they do make a basic one for the actor to wear in the practice runs so the other actors know how he's going to behave and work with that. They give them an accurate costume so the actors also have an accurate idea for size and proportions as well. They did they exact same for Jar-Jar Binks.

Snib Snub
20 March 2004, 06:36 AM
For the end product, no. However they do make a basic one for the actor to wear in the practice runs so the other actors know how he's going to behave and work with that. They give them an accurate costume so the actors also have an accurate idea for size and proportions as well. They did they exact same for Jar-Jar Binks.

Somehow I knew that's what you would argue. Explain to me Clone Troopers or Yoda. Explain to me General Grevious...you think Trisha Beggar made THAT costume for an actor to wear? Doubtful. :raised:

No, I still think evidence points to the EU character being someone else and I don't buy the "technically-Grevious-is-EU-cause-we'll-first-see-him-in-a-cartoon" theory. That would make Boba Fett EU as well.

Kanner Ra'an
20 March 2004, 07:04 AM
Somehow I knew that's what you would argue. Explain to me Clone Troopers or Yoda. Explain to me General Grevious...you think Trisha Beggar made THAT costume for an actor to wear? Doubtful.

No, I still think evidence points to the EU character being someone else and I don't buy the "technically-Grevious-is-EU-cause-we'll-first-see-him-in-a-cartoon" theory. That would make Boba Fett EU as well.

Yes i do. That happens to be what a costume designer does. And Grevious is EU at this point because EU encompasses everything that has not been in the films.

Now looking over the cast listings their are no other EU characters added at this time. The only one is General Grevious, who is from the Clone Wars cartoon that Lucas was intentionally trying to hype. Lucas real shows no desire to include characters from the novels, instead more from comics and such, and especially novels from 1995 which only people from these boards think of often enough to reconise. So all the evidence does point to Grevious.

Snib Snub
20 March 2004, 06:33 PM

Yes i do. That happens to be what a costume designer does. And Grevious is EU at this point because EU encompasses everything that has not been in the films.

Now looking over the cast listings their are no other EU characters added at this time. The only one is General Grevious, who is from the Clone Wars cartoon that Lucas was intentionally trying to hype. Lucas real shows no desire to include characters from the novels, instead more from comics and such, and especially novels from 1995 which only people from these boards think of often enough to reconise. So all the evidence does point to Grevious.

I guess our opinion differs on the hints provided by offical Lucasfilm sources and our definition of EU. To me, EU is not Lucas created. He created Grevious, therefore, it's canon and NOT EU. I personally believe the more likely scenario is a two-second walk-on by the character that's not even referenced by any dialogue. We'll only come to know that this is the EU character through tie-in material, (ie. "reference" books, comics, script, etc.) much in the same way we found out who any number of Star Wars characters were. (Zuckuss, 4-LOM, Aurra Sing, etc. ...never mentioned and on screen for a couple of seconds.)

So I won't buy into the "Grevious-is-EU-cause-he's-in-a-cartoon-and-being-hyped" theory ('cause he's Lucas created..thus not EU) and you don't buy into my reasoning cause it's based more on Lucas' modus operandi instead of "technicalities". That way, if I'm right, you are pleasantly surprised. If you're right, then I'm slightly disappointed. As Qui-Gon said, "Either way, my friend...you win."

It's all rumor and speculation anyway, right? Right. B)

Korpil
20 March 2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Snib Snub

So I won't buy into the "Grevious-is-EU-cause-he's-in-a-cartoon-and-being-hyped" theory ('cause he's Lucas created..thus not EU)

I agree with you. If that was the case, then Boba Fett would also be EU, since he first was on a cartoon...

Kanner Ra'an
20 March 2004, 08:56 PM
Maybe if you want some clarification on what is EU and what is not, go to the horses mouth. Anything to be found from the Clone wars series is listed their under the Expanded universe section at star wars dot com(note that Grevious no longer is their). Since they are also the ones who reported the inclusion of another EU character, its about as official as it can be.

Also you guys are forgetting something about Boba Fett. He did not appear in the cartoon first. If you remember correctly Lucas always intended Fett to be in the First Movie. It was the scene with Jabba the Hutt and Han Solo one tattooine. Though it didn't make the first release, Fett did still appear in it.

Reverend Strone
21 March 2004, 02:31 PM
Also you guys are forgetting something about Boba Fett. He did not appear in the cartoon first. If you remember correctly Lucas always intended Fett to be in the First Movie. It was the scene with Jabba the Hutt and Han Solo one tattooine. Though it didn't make the first release, Fett did still appear in it.

That's not quite true Kanner. Boba Fett did not appear in that original footage. He was specially shot and added in for the Special Edition of ANH. His first appearance was indeed in the Holiday Special Cartoon, although the costume was used for promotional purposes leading up to Empire's release as well.

Master Dao Rin
22 March 2004, 01:21 PM
Could it be Bossk?

Vanger Chevane
22 March 2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Master Dao Rin
Could it be Bossk?

I seriously doubt this as AFAIK Bossk, Dengar Roth, Zuckuss, 4-LOM, & IG-88 all debuted in ESB long before they were included in the EU.

For that reasoning to fly, General Dodonna could also be a viable contender for the cameo...

Nova Spice
22 March 2004, 03:33 PM
Could it be Bossk?

Definitely not. Bossk is not an EU character, as he first appears aboard the Executor in The Empire Strikes Back.

No, I imagine that Grievous (unfortunately) is the EU character. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong on this one.

Snib Snub
22 March 2004, 09:21 PM
Maybe I'm just being dense here. :D

But can you explain to me your logic?

1978 - Lucas created Boba Fett. Lucas gave Nelvana Studios permission (instruction?) to use him in a cartoon... introducing him. I'm pretty certain we all think Boba Fett is not EU.

2003 - Lucas created Grevious. Lucas gives Tartakovsky permission (instruction?) to use him in a cartoon... introducing him. Why do you all still think Grevious is EU now?

I can't get past that simple logic to believe it's Grevious.

Then again, like I said, I'm probably the dense one and I hope you all do get a pleasant surprise. :)

MikeLynch
23 March 2004, 08:38 AM
I agree with those of you who want a "pleasant surprise." As far as I am aware, the Holiday Special counts as canon.

Now, I think I've heard that the Clone Wars cartoon DOESN'T count as canon. This doesn't make sense to me, but if I heard correctly, it gives the Lucas camp a stronger footing from which to make the cop-out announcement that Grievous is THE EU character -- which, to my knowledge, has not yet been made. Yes, we have confirmation that Grievous is in Ep3, and yes, we know he originates outside the films. But that doesn't necessarily make him the EU character we were told about.

Master Dao Rin
24 March 2004, 09:13 AM
The Holiday Special is not canon.

Only the stuff made directly by George Lucas himself, or the flannelled one has had a direct say in, counts as canon. This means the movies and the movie novelizations only.

Everything else is the responsibility of his flunkies - I mean, employees. While they didn't make Star Wars, they do have a say in what things get done and what things get put in. But this still doesn't mean they created Star Wars, which is what makes canon - canon.

Why is this so hard to understand?! I don't get it. I'd have to agree with Faraer's sentiments on this one.

Now, anyone can take anything and decide its canon. If you think Hoojibs and Kushiban are your cup of tea and puts the Star in Star Wars, then by all means fill yer boots.

I'm sure Sue Rostoni wants all the EU books to be considered canon. But, at the moment, they aren't, at least until George is finished having his say in how things work in the Star Wars galaxy. At the moment, she is only a voice of authority, but that doesn't make her George Lucas.

George Lucas = Canon. Everyone else = Not Canon.

MikeLynch
24 March 2004, 09:22 AM
Then Grievous is sure to be the cop-out EU character, if you're right and it really is that simple (has Lucas ever personally addressed the canon issue, BTW, or are we always hearing pronouncements from Rostoni et al on the subject?). After as much crap as we SW fans have taken, I have no reason not to expect that disappointment.

Then again, Action freighters *are* supposedly in AOTC...
:D

Snib Snub
24 March 2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Master Dao Rin
Now, anyone can take anything and decide its canon. If you think Hoojibs and Kushiban are your cup of tea and puts the Star in Star Wars, then by all means fill yer boots.

Exactly!! That's the beauty of this thing we all love...accept what you will and ignore the rest. "Canon" is relative.

George Lucas = Canon. Everyone else = Not Canon.]

And to me, that is my definition of canon as well. So, IMO, Grevious is not the hinted-at EU character - cause the flanneled one created Grevious.

MikeLynch
24 March 2004, 09:43 AM
Yes, but TFO could argue that b/c Grievous originally *appears* in an EU source, he is then the EU character.

It would be disingenuous, but then again, so would suggesting that Aurra Sing is going to have an important role in the subsequent films, so that people buy her tie-in merchandise, but then ignoring the character later on.

(Forgive my moment of bitterness. She still might make it into Ep3.)

Nova Spice
24 March 2004, 09:46 AM
I'm sure Sue Rostoni wants all the EU books to be considered canon. But, at the moment, they aren't, at least until George is finished having his say in how things work in the Star Wars galaxy. At the moment, she is only a voice of authority, but that doesn't make her George Lucas.

That's just not true. Sue Rostoni is not just some random figurehead who believes that the EU should be considered canon for her own sake. In fact, she is LFL's PR spokeswoman. As is evidenced by her own statements, everything without an Infinities or Tales logo is considered an official part of the Star Wars history by LucasFilm.

And while she certainly isn't The Flanneled One himself, she is his voice to the public when it comes to the EU. That makes her statements as good as his whereas the EU is concerned. And unless GL states differently, that will always be the case.

George Lucas = Canon. Everyone else = Not Canon.

You can't put people in terms of cannon and non-cannon IMO. Everything in the Star Wars Universe (be it the films or the EU itself) save for the Infinities and Tales series, is cannon material.

George Lucas himself illustrates this fact very candidly in a variety of ways.

1. Coruscant-Timothy Zahn created this name for Imperial Center, not George Lucas.
2. Aayla Secura-a comics character that GL has implemented into the films.
3. Episode III EU character-this is self-explanatory.
4. The New Jedi Order-George Lucas himself gave the NJO team a multitude of information for the creation of this series, ranging from Luke's role to the scope of the enemy to the death of major characters.

To say that the EU is devoid of George Lucas and George Lucas devoid of the EU is absurd IMO. They complement each other, effectively defining the Star Wars timeline.

MikeLynch
24 March 2004, 09:55 AM
And while she certainly isn't The Flanneled One himself, she is his voice to the public when it comes to the EU.Ehh... I don't know if I'd say that makes her canon pronouncements accurate. Ari Fleischer and Scott McClellan probably say lots of stuff that the President et al wish they didn't. I can think of at least one example for Fleischer specifically.

The EU elements you refer to are, in my view, examples of Lucas saying "You know what? I like THIS" and taking something non-canonical and turning it canonical.

Snib Snub
24 March 2004, 09:56 AM
Yes, but TFO could argue that b/c Grievous originally *appears* in an EU source, he is then the EU character.

It would be disingenuous, but then again, so would suggesting that Aurra Sing is going to have an important role in the subsequent films, so that people buy her tie-in merchandise, but then ignoring the character later on.

(Forgive my moment of bitterness. She still might make it into Ep3.)

Yeah, so the other argument goes, but I refuse to buy into that because it's just to disingenuous. Call me the fool, but I'll keep hoping for something better than that.

Dread Pirate Roberts
8 April 2004, 02:44 PM
I don't read many of the novels so correct me if i'm wrong. But isn't it possible that Nom Anor has infiltrated the Republic this far back? Just a thought.

Nova Spice
8 April 2004, 03:22 PM
I don't read many of the novels so correct me if i'm wrong. But isn't it possible that Nom Anor has infiltrated the Republic this far back? Just a thought.

Highly unlikely. There are probably other Yuuzhan Vong agents that have slipped into the Republic's fray, but Nom Anor wouldn't be one of them. He had to keep his identity secret for as long as possible, so as to be able to crush the Imperial Ruling Council. Nom only accomplished this feat by remaining in the shadows. Using patience and dedication, Nom only emerged from the shadows when the victor of the Galactic Civil War was no longer in doubt, thus killing off the Empire's Ruling Council.

Besides that, George Lucas would have to develop a sub-plot involving Nom Anor, which would take too much time and would leave many people wondering: "What the hell?" Nom doesn't have a part in the Original trilogy, and therefore his appearance would not serve any purpose whatsoever.

Darth Fierce
23 April 2004, 08:23 PM
After being disappointed in hearing that the EU character will not be "old Garmie-boy" as I was beginning to believe, my hunch goes with Durge. There's been some rumors suggesting IG-droids will be in Episode III, and who best to lead them than their pal Durge?

I know, some of you will say that Durge is "dead"...but I really am questioning that. After all, supposedly Episode 20 of the Clone Wars mini-series was originally slated to have a final show-down between Obi-Wan and Durge, until Grievous came onto the scene. How better to wrap things up, than to add Durge to Episode III?

Ronin
25 April 2004, 07:44 AM
I've only seen Durge in one comic book...and I wasn't all that impressed...just seemed to be the lastest, biggest, baddest badguy someone thought up...
a bit boring (though I have only seem him in ONE comic, forgive me if he's impressive overall).

I was a bit disappointed that we didn't see Aurra in Ep2...after Ep1 came out there seemed to be a lot of hype about her...made her seem like a cool character with a lot of screen time coming her way....
nadda.
?!

linkstarwars
1 May 2004, 01:16 PM
:stormtpr:
About Durge, didn't he die both in Star Wars Clone Wars and Star Wars Boba Fett?

Darth Fierce
2 May 2004, 09:48 AM
Unless it was made clear that Durge was killed off in some Boba Fett related material, I remain unconvinced that Durge is "dead." If you notice in Cartoon Network's "Clone Wars" microseries, even after the second confrontation between Obi-Wan and Durge, his component parts seem to slither away, perhaps to reattach later.

In fact, word has it that Episode 20 was originally supposed to have included a third, and final, confrontation between Obi-Wan and Durge, but then the director of the microseries learned that Lucas wanted General Grievous in the final episode. Thus, the "Durge returns" plot dissolved, and leaves it open that he may still be the "EU" character that makes it into Episode III.

Dread Pirate Roberts
4 May 2004, 02:39 PM
I'd like to see Gorm the Dissolver. Unfortunately that happening has about the same chance as having Palpatine take up folk-singing as a secret hobby.

Ghengis Ska
5 May 2004, 12:02 PM
True, but it's not like he can actually show, on-screen, the death of every single Jedi in the universe. Much of the EU depends on the assumption that any film representation of the Purges is going to allow some room for individuals to slip through the cracks (such as Yoda).

Well he COULD... we joked about this along time ago, back when E1 was first out, about the final moments of the Purge, Vader/Anakin heads up to the Council room, and takes them all on killing them, then flees from the building in a Ship, as you see the entire Temple explode. If all of the last Jedi where assemblyed there, then yeah he could show it on sreen. The few who are not at the temple are the ones who slip through the cracks and go into hidding.

As for my votes, hopes Wll Gram was shown in a Picture on the Holo Net News site put up by starwars.com just before E2, Asajj would be cool too, i think they should have gone with her in the first place... Vos, would be nice.

Something to consider is a Bothan, becuase we haven't seen one in a Movie, (don't know if this was stated didn't read the whole thread), and they are Very well documneted in the EU...

Dread Pirate Roberts
5 May 2004, 01:19 PM
I hope Plo Koon survives. :(

Darth Fierce
9 August 2004, 04:57 AM
Well, I hesitate to beat a dead topic, but I recently was looking around TFN's Just the Facts section, and found that it indicates Grievous is clearly not the EU character that will be seen in Episode III. As has been indicated earlier, the EU character apparently appeared/appears in the "Clone Wars" microseries, and is likely not Asajj Ventress (after what happened on Yavin IV, I couldn't see her reappearing).

Therefore, unless it's a character who appears in the upcoming season of "Clone Wars," or is one of the clone troopers, I feel that the answer to everyone's question is most likely, the EU character in Episode III will be...

Durge.

Yes, I know some of you have indicated he "died" in a Boba Fett novel, but as we know from Lucas, he doesn't necessarily take novels to heart. Beside, the EU character in Episode III doesn't have much of a role, and I could see this being Durge.

Any thoughts?

BrianDavion
9 August 2004, 10:03 AM
I think the obvious answer is general grevious. whose soul function in the movie seems to be a bad ass vi llian so they can sell toys of him

Darth Fierce
9 August 2004, 01:30 PM
That would make sense, but it has been verified that Grievous is not an EU character. Thus he's out of the running for this category...

thetophus
9 August 2004, 04:35 PM
My vote goes with Quinlan Vos, but my gut tells me it'll prolly be Durge since Lucas likes to pull that kind of stuff. I would like to see Asaj Ventris (the bald Sith chick) despite the events on Yavin, it would be really cool to see her in action on the big screen.

Darth Fierce
19 November 2004, 05:56 PM
Just visited TF.N's spoiler boards, and it appears that there is possible confirmation that the EU character in Episode III will be

Quinlan Vos.

If true, it appears that at least a few people got it right on the first guess...

Take this news for what you will...

Ghengis Ska
19 November 2004, 07:13 PM
As a Very interesting side not, the Clone Strike Minis due out soon, talk of a Special E3 Sneak Peak Figure... that charcter is on the list, many assumed it was an EU nod, but maybe that is the E3 sneak peak figure...

Dr_Worm
19 November 2004, 08:03 PM
Interesting...I always like his/her comic appearances.

Tao
22 November 2004, 03:33 AM
first of all, i doubt it will be Vos, for the reason that he already has had a cameo, or more specifically, was developed from a background character (Mos Espa street scene).

My vote is for Xixor. Hes got to be the most influential EU character, and Shadows of the Empire is one of the more accepted EU books. Hes easily recognizable, and hes very dynamic, and his costuming (not just his makeup and prosthetics, but his actual costume) would definately be worthy of a first class designer.

MikeLynch
22 November 2004, 08:29 AM
Good point about Xizor. If memory serves, Lucas himself has said he liked Shadows.

I'm not holding my breath on that, though. It would be cool -- and if they did it, they'd have to cast John Saxon as Xizor, because the cover art looks SOOOO much like John Saxon -- but I think it'll be someone else.

wolverine
22 November 2004, 12:26 PM
I am still hoping for it being Nejaad Halcon, or Corrans father. Or possibily Boster Terrik.

Nova Spice
22 November 2004, 01:34 PM
I still stand by the notion that the most sensible EU inclusion, considering Episode III's plot, would be Garm Bel Iblis.

Rostek
22 November 2004, 06:09 PM
But when have we seen sensible recently? :rolleyes:
Xizor or someone from one of the more recent comic books ( ;) ) strikes me as the most likely inclusion. Not that I wouldn't love to see Ibis, but I imagine Lucas will want more of a "wow" factor than some old Senator.
Just my $0.02

Darth Fierce
23 November 2004, 03:38 AM
I...really don't see Xizor being in the film. Sorry guys and gals, but we're already going to have four major villains in Episode III (i.e., Palpatine/Sidious, Dooku/Tyrannus, Grevious, and let's not forget Anakin/Vader), there's no real reason to add another big baddy to the list. That is, unless it's Durge, whom I'm still considering as a possibility of making it into Episode III.

I think it's safer to assume that the EU character is either going to be a Jedi, or someone who's loyal to the ideals of the Old Republic...which could make Garm Bel Iblis a viable option (although I think I remember seeing a source saying that Garm will not be the EU character).

My hunch, though, is the character I stated in the possible spoiler a few posts above will be the EU character...

wolverine
24 November 2004, 03:25 AM
naa... it will be a young thrawn or Pellalion (sp)

Jeskan
24 November 2004, 01:51 PM
Here are some quotes from Pablo Hidalgo I think you all might find useful:

Aayla Secura is not the new EU character in Ep3. The EU character will be a brand new one to the films."

"Senator Garm Bel Iblis is not in Ep3."

"No Corran Horn family characters are in Ep3."

"The bug-faced aliens seen with Asajj Ventress in the latest SW Republic comic are not in Ep3."

"There are no new female villains in Ep3." (meaning no Asajj)

"There are no Z-95 Headhunters, Cloakshape Fighters, Winter, or Pallaeon in Ep3."

"No characters from Timothy Zahn's books will be mentioned or seen in Ep3."

So this eliminates a large portion from our speculations. Two possibilites not taken off the list are Quinlan Vos and Xizor, though. I don't think those two will be in it, however. I'm not 100% sure but last I heard, Quinlan was in costody and I don't think Xizor had made his rise until after Vader destroyed his homeworld (not sure on that either) and Vader isn't created till the end of the movie. My guess is that the EU character wil be another Jedi that gets killed when/if Anakin attacks the Temple. I saw him do this in the video game so I'm hoping this happen.

Tao
29 November 2004, 03:34 AM
although, as i have stated before, Quinlan is in the Phantom Menace, if only for a cameo. i think were all way off, but i cant think of anyone else. i sincerely hope its not Garm... he wouldnt be very exciting for me. Xixor wouldnt even have to be doing anything special to get me excited though. It could just be a cameo of his pre-Black Sun days... maybe senate related even.

Ronin
29 November 2004, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Tao
although, as i have stated before, Quinlan is in the Phantom Menace, if only for a cameo.

Where?
And how do you mean 'a cameo', Quinlan isn't Quinlan?

xyle_rune
23 January 2005, 09:33 PM
hard to say WHO it will be

Who else is well known enough to be worthy of a cameo....
Maybe that Tusken Jedi?

Tao
24 January 2005, 09:37 AM
Oh... sorry, didnt notice your question.

Quinlan Vos can be seen lurking in the background of one of Phantom Menace's Mos Espa shots. Specifically, I believe it is during the little scuffle between Jar Jar and Sebulba. A robed character with dark skin and a very obvious horizontal yellow stripe across his face can be seen in the background amidst several others. This is the original shot which inspired the character of Quinlan Vos, and the EU backstory says that Quinlan was undercover investigating (IIRC) some underworld dealings on Tatooine. He did not contact QuiGon for fear of blowing his cover, and furthermore, it is noted in later comic books as having felt regret for not helping his fellow jedi in their difficult situation, even blaming himself and his inaction for the death of QuiGon.

i would love to see quinlan in the next movie, and i am nearly certain that, to some extent, we will. i do not, however, know if he qualifies as the "never before seen" eu character.

i think palleon is a good guess. personally i would still love to see xixor... or maybe armand isaard. both are doubtful though. i guess well just have to wait and see.

Nightsider
25 January 2005, 05:59 PM
Asajj Ventress seems likely. She appeared in the Clone Wars Micro-Series. General Greivous first appeared in Clone Wars and will be in the movie. I understand that Clone Wars is supposed to be canon.

:isd:

Darth Fierce
26 January 2005, 03:28 AM
Unfortunately, Asajj is not likely to be the EU character. Lucasfilms has already stated that there will be no "new" female villain in Episode III. Unless, Asajj turns to the light before Episode III, this basically ruins any chance of her being in the movie.

Fier the Incarnate
22 February 2005, 11:21 AM
You are all wrong it is Artichuk Chewbacca's father.

I have only seen him in a video game that my friend rented.

he dies shortly before the end of the clone wars....well any way just my thoughts

jasonpreston1
22 February 2005, 04:47 PM
"You are all wrong it is Artichuk Chewbacca's father.

I have only seen him in a video game that my friend rented.

he dies shortly before the end of the clone wars....well any way just my thoughts"

Thats not true. Itchy is alive and well during the NJO

DarthBalmung
18 March 2005, 02:04 PM
neeja is dead by then. I'm going for ventress and it will be lightsaber duel btween her and Anakin.

DarthBalmung
neeja is dead by then. I'm going for ventress and it will be lightsaber duel btween her and Anakin.

DarthBalmung

Darth Fierce
18 March 2005, 04:52 PM
Unfortunately, there's been a credible statement that there will be no female villains in Episode III that, at least, haven't been seen in the movies before. Therefore, that rules out Ventress from appearing in the film.

That Gossam female (Shu Mai) who is one of the leaders of the Corporate Alliance in Episode II might return, but that's likely the closest we'll see to an female villain in Episode III.

Jeskan
18 March 2005, 07:10 PM
Word from Pablo Hidalgo stongly leans to Quinlan Vos being the EU character. He will be seen as one of the Jedi on a battle field on Boz Pity.

Tao
21 March 2005, 06:20 AM
I am certain that Vos will be in the movie, though I dont know if he counts as being new, as he was visible in Mos Espa in Episode 1. If Quinlan is, in fact, the "featured" EU character, then I am very happy, especially if it means that he will finally have some signifigant screen time.
On a related note, I have pictures showing that Commander Cody and several other EU named Clone troopers will also be featured in the movie.

Darth Fierce
21 March 2005, 08:48 AM
Just because Quinlan Vos may be shown doesn't mean he'll get a lot of screentime. I just have a hunch :rolleyes: that Episode III will spend a lot more time focusing on other events than what Vos' actions on Boz Pity would be...

Beside, as time has gone on, I've found myself leaning away from the Vos theory. If Commander Cody is mentioned by name in Episode III, then he is probably the EU character in question.

Kelcheck
21 March 2005, 10:28 AM
Kir kanos!!!!!

ok not going to happen, but would be cool to see the red guard in some sort of action. Show how deadly they can be, so that when we see them come down the ramp in ROTJ it means something more to the audiance.

It should be cody or vos (although vos has already been seen) I think thrawn has been ruled out, as well as mara jade, I think itchy would be cool too :D :P

Tao
22 March 2005, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Darth Fierce
If Commander Cody is mentioned by name in Episode III, then he is probably the EU character in question.

I do know that he is shown and named in the visual dictionary for Ep3. I can't be sure that he will be specifically named in the actual movie however.

Jeskan
22 March 2005, 12:42 PM
Actually, Cody was originally created for EP 3 and he was used in other sources, just like Whie, Felucia, and Grievous.

Also, Vos was never in EP 1. The immage of Quinlan Vos was inspired by an extra in Mos Espa. Quinlan Vos wasn't created until after the movie.

Tao
23 March 2005, 02:01 PM
true... but retrospective storylining says that particular extra was in fact Quinlan Vos. Its the same as someone like Janson. First he appeared in the movies as an almost insignificant character, and has evolved to become a hero in his own right. Granted, at the time of filming he wasn't anything special, but according to the "official" sources, that was, in fact, Quinlan.

MikeLynch
28 March 2005, 06:48 AM
Granted, at the time of filming he wasn't anything special, but according to the "official" sources, that was, in fact, Quinlan.
But not according to canonical sources. ;)

Which shot in Mos Espa are we talking about, anyway?

MikeLynch
31 March 2005, 10:12 AM
Okay, someone explain this to me (found at IMDb):

Lucas originally had not planned to include any bounty hunters in this final installment of the prequel trilogy, but after much fanfare for the bounty hunter Kola Bomm from the Zarn books Lucas wrote a small cameo part into the script to as homage to fans of the alternate star wars universes.

Jeskan
31 March 2005, 02:10 PM
I've never even heard of this character!

MikeLynch
31 March 2005, 02:16 PM
I just Googled it and got nothing. Someone must be messin' with IMDB.

hisham
31 March 2005, 06:38 PM
Which shot in Mos Espa are we talking about, anyway?
When Sebulba was about to pummel Jar Jar for the flying gorg of doom incident.

As for "Kola Bomm", I smell a put on by whoever sent in that entry to IMDB.

Originally posted by Tao
but retrospective storylining says that particular extra was in fact Quinlan Vos.
Is it written anywhere that the character was retconned as Quin? Did it say he was on Tatooine at the time of TPM? Nuts. I must have missed that book.

In any case I believe that it will be Quinlan Vos in ROTS, cause they've begun the countdown to ROTS in Star Wars Republic, and Vos and A'Sharad Hett are on Saleucami... and Saleucami is one of the locations in ROTS where we'll see part of the Jedi Purge. So, if any or both still live by the end of the storyline in the comics, chances are we'll see either or both of them in the movie.

My 2 centicreds.

MikeLynch
1 April 2005, 06:23 AM
So, if any or both still live by the end of the storyline in the comics, chances are we'll see either or both of them in the movie
Well, SW Republic might just be teasing us.

In any case, Vos is still alive in the classic era according to some Tales I read a while back, but that is of course not even Official.

Hey, maybe it'll be A'Sharad Hett. I dunno if George could resist the idea of a "Tusken raider Jedi." :raised:

Tao
1 April 2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by hisham

Is it written anywhere that the character was retconned as Quin? Did it say he was on Tatooine at the time of TPM? Nuts. I must have missed that book.

It was mentioned in Star Wars Republic... I seem to recall it also being mentioned in one of the compilation/graphic novels that I have... ill check on that tonight. Anyways, Quinlan mentions how he had seen Quigon on Tatooine and regretted being unable to assist them. He said he was undercover and didnt realize the situation they were in, so didnt feel it was worth endangering whatever he was doing.

Anyways... I do hope to see him, since he is one of my favorite Jedi.

Korpil
4 April 2005, 09:24 AM
The screenplay which I bought online since last week but was available only this saturday, confirms the EU character is Quinlan Vos:

The battle appears to be over. WOOKIEES stack destroyed Droids while CLONES assess the damage to their equipment. A Jedi, LUMINARA UNDULI, talks with EIGHT CLONE OFFICERS standing in a circle around her. Suddenly they reveal their hidden pistols and blast her before she can react.

The Jedi QUINLAN VOS is riding on top of a CLONE TURBO TANK. The main cannon of a second tank slowly swings to point right at him and a COUPLE OF CLONES.

The cannon fires and QUINLAN VOS and the CLONES dissapear in a huge EXPLOSION.

Korpil
4 April 2005, 09:25 AM
Sorry for the double post... can any administrator delete it, please?

Korpil
4 April 2005, 09:26 AM
The screenplay which I bought online since last week but was available only this saturday, confirms the EU character is Quinlan Vos:

The battle appears to be over. WOOKIEES stack destroyed Droids while CLONES assess the damage to their equipment. A Jedi, LUMINARA UNDULI, talks with EIGHT CLONE OFFICERS standing in a circle around her. Suddenly they reveal their hidden pistols and blast her before she can react.

The Jedi QUINLAN VOS is riding on top of a CLONE TURBO TANK. The main cannon of a second tank slowly swings to point right at him and a COUPLE OF CLONES.

The cannon fires and QUINLAN VOS and the CLONES dissapear in a huge EXPLOSION.

Corr Terek
4 April 2005, 10:32 AM
But, uh, couldn't also be Luminara?

Seeing as George is gonna wipe out a bunch of Jedi onscreen, it makes sense for it to be Jedi we've seen before. Hence Vos, Luminara, Aayla, Kolar...the list goes on and on.

Incidently, where'd you say you got the screenplay?

Korpil
4 April 2005, 10:43 AM
But, Luminara and most of the other Jedi are NOT Expanded Universe characters... they were created specifically for the movies, with the sole exception of Aayla Secura.

But since she had already showed up on Episode II she could not be "The EU character that will appear for the first time on Episode III".

Henceforth, it is only Quinlan Vos who meets this description.

I got the Screenplay for less than US $5 at Fictionwise, but it is available through various other e-book stores:

http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw;jsessionid=t0Np5xVQZ8qg1Tv2UCznepsEEVY?a=rewrite&url=/ebooks/eBook30100.htm

xiphias
4 April 2005, 01:11 PM
Oh come on, it's obvious. Episode III will be about young Han Solo, Lando, and Dash Rendar and their hijinks. So I'd go with Dash Rendar. [/sarcasm] Heh.

Tao
4 April 2005, 02:15 PM
confirmed "cameo" characters include captain antilles, agen kolar, aayla secura, saesee tin, luminara, quinlan vos, commander cody, and "oddball"

actually... as for the "who is the official character"... i suppose it is Quinlan. However, as Ive pointed out numerous times, he's had almost as much on-screen time as any of the other "random" Jedi mentioned above (and Luminara and Bariss Ofee technically made their EU debut before Ep. 2) This time around, though he will be mentioned by name in a convo between anakin and obi wan. He will also have his death depicted on the big screen.

Nova Spice
4 April 2005, 03:55 PM
After reading the Episode III novelization, there was no mention of the demise of many of the Jedi.

In the Episode III novel, Agen Kolar, Saesee Tiin, Kit Fisto, Mace Windu, Whie, Cin Drallig, and Jurokk are the only Jedi named to have been killed. Everyone else's death is simply alluded and implied by Order Sixty-Six or Anakin's rampage through the Jedi Temple.

Jonesy
4 April 2005, 09:13 PM
I just got the comic book last week and there was a picture of Quinlan Vos getting blasted. It makes since that Vos would be in the movie even briefly after his popularity in the Republic comics since they put Aayla Secura in the 2nd movie.

Treefrog
6 April 2005, 07:17 AM
Wouldn't the Juggernaut be considered EU? I mean the only source I've seen it in prior to the trailers, was in WEG's Imperial Sourcebook.

hisham
6 April 2005, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Treefrog
Wouldn't the Juggernaut be considered EU? I mean the only source I've seen it in prior to the trailers, was in WEG's Imperial Sourcebook.
I'd say it's an EU upgraded to Canon... or as Leland Chee of LFL would say, from C-level canon (Continuity) to G-level canon (George Lucas).
Among other upgrades we've seen over the years are:
1. Aayla Secura
2. The name "Coruscant"
3. Corellian Action VI freighter
4. Double bladed lightsabers
5. Sarkans
6. YT-2400 freighter

The other thing is that according to LFL, the novelizations are G-level canon as well, so based on that there'll be a whole lot of other stuff upgraded that wont be in the movies, such as the mention of Dreadnaughts and Carracks in the Battle of Coruscant, Saesee Tiin's Sharp Spiral, etc... unless the movie surprises me and actually shows the stuff I just mentioned. Hehe.

Nova Spice
6 April 2005, 07:57 AM
The other thing is that according to LFL, the novelizations are G-level canon as well, so based on that there'll be a whole lot of other stuff upgraded that wont be in the movies, such as the mention of Dreadnaughts and Carracks in the Battle of Coruscant, Saesee Tiin's Sharp Spiral, etc... unless the movie surprises me and actually shows the stuff I just mentioned. Hehe.

Wouldn't that be sweet? :D

Garan
7 April 2005, 01:04 AM
So ROTS is going to be about wasting the few Jedi chars with interesting background, there ever were in all of Star Wars and about the war of pixels once again. :rolleyes:

hisham
7 April 2005, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Garan
So ROTS is going to be about wasting the few Jedi chars with interesting background, there ever were in all of Star Wars and about the war of pixels once again. :rolleyes:
Few? I'm gonna go with almost ALL the Jedi being wasted in that movie.. :D

Tao
7 April 2005, 04:13 AM
actually... the wasting of the jedi is going to be a fairly short montage-esque scene. shouldnt take much more than a few minutes on screen. don't worry there's a little more to it than that. there is quite a bit of action though... more than usual. luckily this will cut time out of anakin and padme's romantic scenes...

Garan
7 April 2005, 08:34 AM
No, I meant itís a waste to kill of all these chars, that have been very well devolved in the EU in such a way, they should get more heroic deaths. Vos and Aayla alone had more interesting character then all of Lukeís Jedi Order togehter, itís just a big waste I think to kill them of like that. Lucas should have let them stay in the comics and let the people that created them find a far more fitting end for them.

MikeLynch
7 April 2005, 08:51 AM
I suspect their creators are honored just to see their creations canonized, even if only for a few fleeting moments before they perish.

kaeroth
7 April 2005, 09:25 AM
No, I meant itís a waste to kill of all these chars, that have been very well devolved in the EU in such a way, they should get more heroic deaths.
i assume you meant *evolved*. or developed. not important. i know what you mean.

But c'mon, we all knew what was going to happen to them. I know, we get attached to Quinlan and Sharrad and Kit and the rest because they get written about by better writers than GL, who isn't concerned with them anyway, but we knew what was going to happen to them before we ever went and saw TPM. Every Jedi can't have a heroic, grand death; it'd minimize whatever Mace's is gonna be. he's the Jedi master we've gotten the closest to (movie-wise) that's gotta buy it; the others all survive a while longer (if they haven't died already). There will probably be Jedi dying seemingly pointless deaths that make them all the more poignant, Jedi who die holding off clones while the younglings run away (and then the younglings run into this tall guy with a helmet and a cape who says, "i sense much fear in you", the shadow falls over the kids, the glow of a red lightsaber...cut to next scene. at least, that's how it runs in my head), and Jedi who go down beneath a huge pile of clones, none of whom get back up. But they all gotta die. GL doesn't have room in his heart to keep the way open for all of us who played a *different* Force-Sensitive who got guidance from an old Jedi who had hidden during the Purge whilst playing in the Empire.
But why don't they just nuke the Temple from orbit? it's the only way to be sure.....

Garan
7 April 2005, 09:41 AM
Yes, should have been ĄdevelopedĒ, sorry, not my native language. :/

I wasnít saying that every Jedi should get heroic deaths, but I just find it a waste that Vos and Aayla (which were created by Dark Horse) were, as it seems, only taken into the movie to get killed ( all the other Jedi originally come from the movie).

Lucas should have let Dark Horse deal with how the Jedi purge effects those two. I know they have to die somehow, but I just find the way itís going to be done in the movie not very appreciative of all the work that went into the two characters beforehand. :(

Corr Terek
7 April 2005, 11:09 AM
Particularly since Vos in particular was up to some pretty interesting things in the Dark Horse comics. The scene shown earlier implies that

1) Vos's name has to be cleared
2) He comes back to the Order
3) Whatever happened to Khaleen?

Granted, this may have already been covered (it's what happens when you read two volumes in a library that doesn't have the rest of them) but it seems like a lot to cram in for Vos just so we can see him die. I see what Garan is saying.

Tao
7 April 2005, 11:47 AM
well... as of the latest Republic, he has come back and is a General leading a task force for the Republic, Khaleen still works with him as something of a go between double agent, and Vos is working to set up a final confrontation with Soro Bulk, who he believes to be the second Sith.
whew... pant pant... that was a long sentance.

though i too feel that he deserved a more fitting ending, i am reserving the hope that dark horse will put together a spectacular back story to what we see in the movie. that way we'll have the best of both worlds... a killer ending, as well as an onscreen, canon appearance.

finally, judging from the comic book, and the fact that his juggernaut is blown up by heavy weapons firet at long range, theres always the chance that he escapes somehow to continue the comic book series just a little while longer. (probably not)

Garan
7 April 2005, 11:55 AM
I think they are going to stop the Republic comic series once the current Vos story is through, the Dark Horse site doesnít list any new Republic comics, either. :/

Nova Spice
8 April 2005, 06:33 AM
I think they are going to stop the Republic comic series once the current Vos story is through, the Dark Horse site doesnít list any new Republic comics, either.

Republic isn't ending. Look no further than these two links.

http://www.theforce.net/comics/story/July_2005_Comics_91028.asp

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=10-446

And as far as the deaths of Aayla and Quinlan, it's irrelevant in my opinion. The Jedi are wiped out. The fact that those two receive the honor of dying in the final Star Wars film is an honor in and of itself.

kaeroth
8 April 2005, 08:29 AM
his juggernaut is blown up by heavy weapons firet at long range, theres always the chance that he escapes somehow to continue the comic book series just a little while longer. (probably not)

That's a good point. How close was Obi -Wan to Slave I's cannon when he got singed in Ep II? I would say that, in spite of my earlier post, it's entirely possible that as long as we don't see a jedi get cut in two, explode, flutter their eyes then close them after saying something pithy after being horribly wounded, or disappearing as they become one with the Force, that jedi could have a better-developed death told in the comics, a novel, maybe even a video game. in fact, by spending only a little time on actually showing us some jedi getting killed, Lucas leaves it open for the various EU sources to deal with their own favorite characters' deaths.
but they must die. unless they, like, escape through a dimensional rift into an alternate universe where Palpatine's parents made him join the Galactic Junior Rangers when he was a boy, learned how to deal with his anger appropriately, acquired a healthy moral compass, grew up a well-balanced young man, and never became a Sith Lord, Anakin stayed a slave on Tatooine, and the whole galaxy lives under the benevolent dictatorship of a race of cute fuzzy bunnies who deal with enemies by hugging them until the love destroys all anger.
then they wouldn't have to die, though they'd get bored silly.

MikeLynch
8 April 2005, 08:44 AM
unless they, like, escape through a dimensional rift into an alternate universe where Palpatine's parents made him join the Galactic Junior Rangers when he was a boy, learned how to deal with his anger appropriately, acquired a healthy moral compass, grew up a well-balanced young man, and never became a Sith Lord, Anakin stayed a slave on Tatooine, and the whole galaxy lives under the benevolent dictatorship of a race of cute fuzzy bunnies who deal with enemies by hugging them until the love destroys all anger.
**spits carbonated beverage through nose**

Jeskan
9 April 2005, 04:02 PM
*SPOILER ALERT*
QUINLAN VOS CONFIRMED!
I just looked at the comic version of EP 3 and Quinlan Vos is in EP 3. He is standing on a Jiggernaut (or whatever the new tank is to be called now) which is shot at and blown up by another Juggernaut after Emperor Parpatine issues order 66, which is to destroy all the Jedi. Other Jedi are shown being killed as well....
Spoiler
Aalya Secura, Bariss Offee, Ki-Adi-Mundi, and (not 100% sure on this one) Ploo Koon are killed. Luminara Unduli is lost on Kasshyyyk.

hisham
9 April 2005, 04:58 PM
I wonders who plays him? George Clooney? Chris Rock? Paul Reubens? Dame Edna Everage?

Nova Spice
10 April 2005, 04:49 PM
Jeskan, need to use spoiler tags, mate. ;)

I've heard that the confirmed Jedi shown to be killed via Order Sixty-Six are the following:

-Aayla Secura (killed by clonetroopers on Felucia)
-Ki-Adi Mundi (killed by clonetroopers on Mygeeto)
-Plo Koon (killed by clone ARC-170's while flying his Jedi Starfighter over Cato Neimoidia)
-Quinlan Vos (killed by clonetroopers on 'unconfirmed planet.')

I've heard no mention of Barris Offee or Luminara Unduli. Interesting. Perhaps we'll also get to see the fates of Bultar Swan and Shaak Ti.

Korpil
10 April 2005, 04:55 PM
I agree... but I was left thinking... does it not the name of the thread indicate that spoilers may rampant free?

Darth Fierce
11 April 2005, 03:22 AM
One of the last rumors I heard on this subject was that...

Shaak Ti gets beheaded by Grievous upon his ship during the Battle of Coruscant. Of course, that rumor is a couple of months old...

Kelcheck
11 April 2005, 04:44 AM
i have heard that that scene has been cut from the movie, sad to say, the list of scenes cut was full of things that I really would have liked to see.

Nova Spice
11 April 2005, 07:06 AM
Yea, that scene was deleted a long time ago, Fierce. And if you read the novel, Shaak Ti remains to guard the Jedi Temple during a certain event...

Darth Fierce
11 April 2005, 09:15 AM
Very well..I wasn't aware that scene had been cut (no pun intended ;) ). I've generally steered clear of Episode III spoilers for the last few months.

Kesh Phenko
8 May 2005, 06:37 PM
Garm would be understandable.

Booster Terrick crosses a few sources & fits the age bracket requirements (if my maths is even close!)

Quinlan I can believe.

Talon Karrde....Hmmmm, could be fun, but I believe that he would be quite young.

Thrawn is (at least should be) out. If I recall Thrawn becomes one of the first 'alien' captains/Admirals in the Empire - which as we all know doesn't happen for a while yet - the Empire that is...

What about options from the 'Droid' series?

Also, what age would Ysanne be in the Old Republic....Too young??

My money is on Garm.

Cheers.

hisham
8 May 2005, 06:44 PM
It's kind of been confirmed somewhat by the script, novel and comic adaptation, actually. It's Quinlan Vos. Unless Uncle George cuts away his scene at the last moment.

Kesh Phenko
8 May 2005, 06:51 PM
Understood... Been a while since I hit the forums & didn't bother to read the 400+ posts!! hehehee

My bad!

Thanks for the confirmation though!

Darth Fierce
16 May 2005, 04:31 AM
From what I've heard, the Quinlan Vos scene from RotS has been cut from the movie. Why, exactly, I'm not sure...but, if so, it's definitely a bummer.

Then again, I got to thinking last night, "What if Vos is the character that the upcoming TV series will focus upon?" I mean, it's kind of been inferred that the earlier rumor that the show will center on Aayla Secura is false. If Vos doesn't get killed off in the movie, then it's not inconceivable that the TV show could be about him....

Tao
16 May 2005, 04:49 AM
oh... dont do that to me... youre getting my hopes up...

Darth_Xanthor
17 May 2005, 11:41 PM
I'd like to see Mara Jade.

Say something like The Emperor finding a young girl and begining to raise her to be his hand.

but that is unlikly....I'd cream my jeans if it was Ventress though

Darth Fierce
18 May 2005, 04:16 AM
Not the image I needed to think about...besides Lucas has said that there will not be a villainess in RotS.

It's apparent now that there won't be an EU character in RotS unless it would be along the lines of one of the Clone Troopers...

Tao
18 May 2005, 11:09 PM
Vos... no
Aayla... yes
Cody... yes

Kelcheck
18 May 2005, 11:35 PM
ok some of you must have seen it by now, so who is it?

MikeLynch
19 May 2005, 07:24 AM
Obi-Wan mentions Master Vos by name. That's it, as far as I could tell.

(The movie rules, BTW.)
:isd:

Tao
24 May 2005, 06:25 AM
i believe it was supposed to be Vos, though his scene was cut. The only other possibility is Commander Cody, who was in it briefly.

Kesh Phenko
24 May 2005, 06:23 PM
Now, this was only a vague thought mind you...

POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR ANY WHO HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED THE JOY!!!!!!!

We know that Vos is mentioned by name in RotS.
We know that the twins are born & split by the end of it.
We know that the DS is in production.
We know nothing about the whereabouts of a young Han Solo....

Apparently we know that Lucas has said the TV serires will not contain any majour characters, but wouldn't that just be a hoot!!??

More than likely, IMO, the TV series will follow the birth of the rebellion, but I'd love to see it as all fringe....With the odd cameo by characters we know: Young Han, young wedge, Quinlan Vos (hehehehehe)

What say we?

Kordeth
24 May 2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Kesh Phenko
Now, this was only a vague thought mind you...

POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR ANY WHO HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED THE JOY!!!!!!!

We know that Vos is mentioned by name in RotS.

Quin is indeed mentioned by name, but not shown, in Episode III. However, both the screenplay and the comic book adaptation show him being killed during the execution of Order 66, so it's doubtful he'll appear.

CaamasiJedi49
25 May 2005, 10:06 AM
Just because hes killed in those doesn't mean he isn't alive. Lucas loves to change his mind at the turn of a dime, so Vos could make a come back in teh new tv series. But time will tell.

Caamasi Jedi49

Darth Fierce
25 May 2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by CaamasiJedi49
Just because hes killed in those doesn't mean he isn't alive. Lucas loves to change his mind at the turn of a dime, so Vos could make a come back in teh new tv series. But time will tell.

Caamasi Jedi49

Vos very well could pull a "Boba Fett," given Lucas' penchant for changing things around. I wouldn't even be surprised if Aayla does show up in the TV series, though not as a main character...

If it is Vos in the TV series, perhaps he could have flashbacks regarding interactions with Aayla before her "death." It'd be kind of cool if the series had something to do with Vos reflecting on past mistakes he's made, and how these mistakes have partly effected the state of the Star Wars galaxy post-Episode III.

Darth_Xanthor
2 June 2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Kesh Phenko

Apparently we know that Lucas has said the TV serires will not contain any majour characters, but wouldn't that just be a hoot!!??
What say we? [/B]

What lucas said in a interview was :

But don't expect to see any of the major character, or character we know.....actually that not entirely true.

so we could expect a smaller/lesser character

I'd like to see chewie (as far away from a moon as possible) and young han. perhaps we learn HOW the life debt was create? Why chewie swore one? That's just me

btw the EU character was Wedge Antillies' Father -- Captain Antillies

Jeskan
2 June 2005, 12:46 PM
He wasn't really EU, since he was created in EP 4. If you remember correctly, 3P0 mentions they are property of his.

MikeLynch
2 June 2005, 01:33 PM
And IIRC I read somewhere that there's no relation between Captain Antilles and Wedge Antilles. As illustrated in TPM, Antilles is a common name in the SWU.

hisham
2 June 2005, 03:49 PM
That's right. Captain Raymus Antilles is a relative of Alderaan's Queen Breha Antilles-Organa. Wedge's parents according to the EU is Jagged and Zena Antilles of Gus Treta, Corellia.

Darth_Xanthor
3 June 2005, 12:05 AM
according to my "sw guru" apparently Wedge's father worked with Bail on his mine/rig.or what ever the hell it was before the rebellion started

hisham
3 June 2005, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Darth_Xanthor
according to my "sw guru" apparently Wedge's father worked with Bail on his mine/rig.or what ever the hell it was before the rebellion started
Well, looks like it's time to dazzle your "sw guru" with the knowledge you've gathered here. ;) Here are some references for your reading pleasure.

Wedge EU entry on SW.com Databanks (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/wedgeantilles/?id=eu)

Jagged Antilles on CUSWE entry (http://www.theforce.net/swenc/entrydesc.asp?search=1510)

The first write-up on Wedge's parents was published in WEG's Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope. Both Jagged and Zena were shown in a flashback, along with a teenaged Wedge and a young Booster Terrik, in DHC's The Phantom Affair comic.

Tao
3 June 2005, 05:21 AM
More of the story can be gleaned from the Wraith Squadron series. Wedge repaints his X-wing in green, gold, and black... the colors that his father had planned on painting the fueling depot once they had the money to refurbish it. There's no one stop tell-all spot for the story of his parents, but you can find it scattered across the EU.

Lastly, I think its safe to say that there were quite a few EU characters that made the final cut, either in person or mentioned.

Floris
12 June 2005, 09:05 AM
Here is the answer to your question.

(Sorry if you didn't want to know)

The announced EU character appearing in ROTS was Quinlan Vos. He was cut ou of the movie, but he still appears in the graphic novel.

Floris
12 June 2005, 09:37 AM
Sorry. I didn't realize there was more than 1 page. I only read the first.

Xain Arke
14 June 2005, 06:12 AM
..that while Quinlan Vos didn't make it to the big screen, another EU character slipped by almost unnoticed...one of the wookies on Kashyyyk was Salporin from the Thrawn Trilogy.

Korpil
14 June 2005, 07:51 AM
You're right!
I just saw the Databank entry the other day and somehow I wouldn't relate him as "an EU character in Episode III"!