PDA

View Full Version : SPOILERS: Time between AOTC and Ep.3

MikeLynch
13 June 2003, 02:16 AM
I think it was that recent Hyperspace report that said McCallum is giving us "three years" as a timespan between AOTC and Episode III. Does anyone else see a potential problem here?

AOTC: 22 years before ANH.
Episode III: 19 years before ANH.
ANH: Luke and Leia are widely said to have been 18 years old.

When it's just a year, I suppose there's more fudge space as far as when in the year the kids are born. Maybe I'm just splitting hairs, but I fear they could be setting themselves up for a pretty significant continuity problem that they likely won't care too much about.

Jericho_Narcas
13 June 2003, 08:45 AM
Well, it does take the better part of a year for babies to fully develop in the womb. I don't see any serious problems, unless the kids are born at the beginning of the movie.

Heck, you should have been around in the old days, when Luke was two years older than Leia, and they weren't brother and sister at all. Anybody remember those Star Wars trading cards?

D-Roc
13 June 2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Jericho_Narcas
Well, it does take the better part of a year for babies to fully develop in the womb. I don't see any serious problems, unless the kids are born at the beginning of the movie.

Heck, you should have been around in the old days, when Luke was two years older than Leia, and they weren't brother and sister at all. Anybody remember those Star Wars trading cards?

I believe I do remember...oh wait..I have a whole crap load of those cards in mint or very close to mint condition.
I do not remember the cards stating they were not brothe and sister and the age difference thing but then again I may not have that card.

Not intending to hijack anyones thread but does anybody know if the are worth anything? (not that I would part with them)

MikeLynch
13 June 2003, 10:15 AM
Actually, word from the Lucasfilm camp has been that we will indeed see Luke and Leia, in very young form, in Episode III.

Man, there are so many possible continuity screw-ups in Episode III. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Nova Spice
13 June 2003, 12:15 PM
Actually, word from the Lucasfilm camp has been that we will indeed see Luke and Leia, in very young form, in Episode III.

Definitely and here's a spoiler:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

The final scene in Episode III was filmed during Attack of the Clones, and it features Obi-Wan Kenobi delivering a baby wrapped in cloth to Owen and Beru. ;)

Admiral_Atredies
13 June 2003, 01:01 PM
Well, If we strecth time out, it could work. IF Ep. III takes place over a month or so, then that can stretch things out (hey, it probably wont happen, but you never know), and Luke and Leia could be only days away from their nineteenth birthday in ANH. Just some good old-fashioned fan-science to try to explan things.

sjard
14 June 2003, 02:12 AM
Does anyone else remember the age listed for Luke in the novel form of Star Wars (the one with the copyright date a year before the release of the movies, cover saying at the bottom "From the adventures of Luke Skywalker")? in that, by Lucas's own typewriter, Luke is 20 years old before first meeting 3PO and R2.

part of the age inconsistancy is due (if i remember correctly) to the fact that during the making of ANH (off topic but does anyone else remember when it was just star wars before they added that title to the movie?) Mark Hamil was 19, and Carrie Fisher was 17.

my two cents

sjard

Jedi Master Antilles
3 July 2003, 08:41 AM
i'm sure they'll figure it out to make it seem plausable and make sense,i mean this is GL's baby after all..i'm sure he wants it to at least make some sense for all of us who keep track of this stuff.

XJ3 X-Wing
3 July 2003, 02:26 PM
No I'm sure that Lucas will make at least a few mistakes and will be bombarded with thousands of e-mails and then say that he's sorry and will change it for the DVD/video.