PDA

View Full Version : Death star in Ep2 thoughts

Jaggard
14 June 2003, 07:33 PM
I just watched it again (it was on HBO) and I thought of another way this could be seen. Dooku 'is amazed' at the way the Republic could amass an army so fast, implying that the Geonosians don't know of sith involvement. When the plans come into play The High guy says something to the effect that he doesn't want his plans to come to light and Dooku offers to take them. What if the Death star was an incomplete weapon plan designed and intended for the geonosians? Dooku and Sid get to manipulate them into giving them the plans to keep the Jedi from discovering them. Now that the plans are in their hands they have to complete them and figure out what wasn't said (some people never put down what they think is common sense) and of course the fact that controls for the Gs are all pheromone based (acourding to details about G ships). The tech may need updating and resizing based on the needs of a hive versus an empires army.

That what I've got for now.

Anybody catch what Zam said after she was hit with the dart, it sounded like another language but I can't help but wonder what if anything it could mean. I also found it intresting that the dart was "toxic" not leathal.

Wade Trenor
15 June 2003, 02:45 AM
I can't fully remember, but I think the novel 'Rogue Planet' included information on this. It's revealed that Sienar has schematics for a huge space station, which could easily be altered to allow for a weapons system.

That story takes place 8 years before the Battle of Geonosis, so I wonder what happened in-between?

Darth_Cassed
15 June 2003, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the posts Wade Trenor and Jaggard, however a thread of this nature already exists here (Wade Trenor) in the Old Republic Forum. Posting information in threads that already exist keep the clutter down, especially in searches. I suggest searching for a topic if you think it already exists.

Admiral_Atredies
15 June 2003, 10:59 AM
Well, as you check out the other thread, I believe the answer to your other question is that Zam says something that sounds like "Rishoni Slaymore" or "Slaymo". Don't know the signifigance.

Franksta
15 June 2003, 03:15 PM
I may be wrong but according to the EU isn't Tarkin the mastermind of the DS? I think they put the DS plans in EpII for effect, not for any plot signifigance.

ShinDangaioh
15 June 2003, 03:25 PM
Dooku is a Jedi gone bad. Palpatine is a senator that has learned Sith tricks. Neither of them have the neccesarry technical background in reading and implementing the plans. Anakin/Vader might, but he's more useful in getting rid of Jedi. Enter Tarkin who does have the technical knowledge to get the Death Star made from those plans.

Franksta
15 June 2003, 05:11 PM
So the plans are originally Genosian or Trade Federation made, but Tarkin actually put the plan in motion?

ShinDangaioh
15 June 2003, 05:18 PM
That's what it looks like what it is shaping up to be. But you know George. He'll change things because he feels like it. Like Han shooting first.

Darthspectre84
16 June 2003, 03:49 AM
Well the entire time at the end of the Republic is for Palaptine's gain. He needed to get rid of outside factors that may prove to be troublesome. And he needed an outside force to bring the Repulic under his rule. So he made the CIS by using Dooku. So any technological developments made by either side he can use in the future.

Its possible that when the CIS is formed they felt the need to soldify there power in the future by make the DS. A plan Palaptine was glad that came cause he could use it in the future. So its possible once Dooku got the plans Palpatine tried to convince the Republic to build it in subtle ways. But since they are weak goverment and some members are not as corrupt as others, they say no. So he tries to build it in the End of the Republic but its quite a big thing so it takes time to build and therefore we see it in episode 4.

Jaggard
16 June 2003, 06:39 AM
I was trying to find a way for Tarkin to actually do the research for it with the 'enslaved' Qwi Xux. The concept of a hive like nest in space with pheromone based controls and a turbo laser being seized by deception, resized, configured for humans and a more powerful system of planet destroying lasers would defenitely require the Tarkin program to pull off.

MikeLynch
17 June 2003, 02:29 AM
FWIW, I think the question of what Zam says when she dies came up in the Ask the Jedi Council. It's something to the effect of "You jerk, thanks for killing me," addressed to Jango.

Reverend Strone
17 June 2003, 05:25 PM
It sounds like "Slimo" to me (though there's some other stuff I can't catch). That would fit with MikeLynch's suggestion above, if she's speaking Huttese as Anakin did when he used that insult on Sebulba in Ep 1. With recurrances of slang words and phrases like "Poodoo" and "I have a bad feeling about this" etc, it wouldn't surprise me if this was a throwaway reuse of that term.

Just a theory.

It's just lucky Anakin and Obi-Wan didn't think she said "Sly Moore" or the Umbaran Senatorial Aide might have suddenly found herself at the wrong end of a lightsaber and some hard questions.:D

MikeLynch
18 June 2003, 02:32 AM
Yeah, it was said to be Huttese. Which makes sense, as it is by cultural and economic necessity the native language of a great many non-Hutt outlaws in the galaxy. We can infer from that last scene that Zam's native language is whichever form of Huttese that is.

It's just lucky Anakin and Obi-Wan didn't think she said "Sly Moore" or the Umbaran Senatorial Aide might have suddenly found herself at the wrong end of a lightsaber and some hard questions.
LOL!