PDA

View Full Version : Balance Point (dumb quetion)

Wedge in Red2
18 June 2003, 04:25 AM
Howdy folks,

Okay, so I'm taking the time to read the NJO books (despite my initial apprehension).

Anyway, I'm up to Balance Point, and I was going to order it from Amazon. However, the only version they seem to have is a hardcover. Is it a case of they only released it in hardcover? Or is Amazon just out of softcover? Obviously I'd prefer the softcover (if it exists). Otherwise I may have to (gasp) buy it from a book store. I think that's how things used to work in the old days before the internet ;).

Thanks for your help.

Jon

Codym
18 June 2003, 04:33 AM
Well, its definately out in paperback here in NZ, so if we have it I would assume Amazon would have it. Perhaps the bookstore might be your best option.

Jim Williams
18 June 2003, 04:52 AM
It's out in paperback in the states for quite a long time. Hit a bookstore. Even the used market (trade and buy) could have a paperback if you don't care about a pristine copy.

Wedge in Red2
18 June 2003, 06:36 AM
Right, cool. I will try and chase down a copy...

Thanks Codym and Jim!

Jon

Nova Spice
18 June 2003, 08:15 AM
I'm glad to see folks starting to read the NJO despite apprehensions. I've been saying for quite some time that they are the most entertaining Star Wars books to date. And besides that, I'm in the camp that they also have the best plot (with Thrawn running a very close second).

I hope you find it in paperback Jon; I'm relatively surprised that Amazon doesn't offer it in TP actually? :raised:

Wedge in Red2
18 June 2003, 11:58 PM
Alright, it's official, I'm an idiot :D. Normally (in my limited experience with Amazon) I thought there was a link on the book page between the softcover and the hardcover. And I couldn't see one for Balance Point. So I assumed. And as they say assumption is the the mother of all f*** ups.

There is in fact a paperback version on Amazon. I'm ordering it. And, because I'm getting Edge of Victory 1 with it, I save an entire 2.60! Wow!

I have no idea how I'm going to get all these books home from the UK when I head back to NZ....

Jon

fury
20 June 2003, 12:26 PM
Actually, Nova Spice, I found anyone who excluded the NJO from their reading on the simple case as "they don't like it" to be an honest, personal assessment. Those who keep running off at the mouth about how they believe it sucks, however, are the ones who do not impress me whatsoever; which is a shame as it includes a lot of people whose opinions used to matter to me in this community. Not that my opinion is worth two credits to anyone....

However, the huge problem is that people are being coerced into silence about reading and even *gasp* enjoying the NJO. THAT is what is shameful about this whole situation.

I've enjoyed the storyline from Vector Prime on, and if the writing has at times been a little uneven, I chalk it up to having a group effort run at a pretty fast pace. What is amazing is that we have a good story, interesting characters, bad guys not cut out of a standard Imperial NPC section from a sourcebook, and an official willingness to take the Star Wars galaxy to a different place than what we are used to.

Sure, it may be reminiscent of something else to someone. It may not even be your cup of tea. If so, do not ruin it for others. I enjoy it and am also glad to see others doing the same.

Sorry about ranting about this...edit/delete as needed.

Wedge in Red2
22 June 2003, 03:54 AM
(Apologies - slightly off topic. That said, the original question has been resolved anyway...)

Fury,

I'm not sure why I'd want to edit or delete your post - all you seem to be doing is expressing your opinion and not in a particularly controversial or confrontational fashion (although if anyone does have a problem with it, it can obviously be reported by clicking on the report button and I will address as necessary - same goes for any post :)).

I am, however, struggling to understand what you're saying. You're saying you don't mind people who haven't read the NJO but dislike it on sheer principle are at least being honest, is that right? Let me just say I agree, I don't begrudge anyone for saying "that sounds crap, I don't liek the sound of it". While slightly uninformed and in a sense making a decision without all the facts, they're entitled to hold such an opinion.

As for my 2cr on the NJO so far - ho hum. I'm struggling with the Agents of Chaos duology, the writing isn't particularly grabbing me. It seems the writer struggles to really write a good climax. The concepts, the ideas he brings out I kinda like, just not the way they're delivered. I enjoyed the Dark Tide duology and Vector Prime, but not as much as I have other SW EU books. I hear it gets better in/after book 6, so I'm continuing to slog on, but the latest Harry Potter novel is calling to me ;).

Jon

Wedge in Red2
23 June 2003, 04:06 AM
Okay, to continue on the dumb question theme...

Rather than pick up the books on Amazon, I found a couple at the local bookstore. I couldn't remember the novels I was after (aside from Balance Point) so I checked in the front of Star by Star. Interestingly, it had between Balance Point and the Edge of Victory duology (which were the two I was trying to remember) a book called "Recovery". Now, the Amazon list that I was using to get all the book names and the order they were in (here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/1JMUNFGFAIUT9/qid=1056370360/sr=5-1/ref=sr_5_3_1/026-8569763-0709266) ) said nothing about no "Recovery". Is this a typo in the cronology in the front of Star by Star, or is there a book I'm missing?

Thanks,

Jon

Edit note: I just check The Ultimate Timeline (http://www.theforce.net/timeline/) and it listed Recovery. So I'm guessing the Amazon lists are wrong. A little worrying, though - there were several lists, and the few I checked all missed Recovery...

Edit note 2: Hmmm. Further probing reveals that recovery may in fact only be a short story. Still a bit confused, but I think it might be included in Star by Star (based on what I read by looking at the Ultimate Timeline).

Codym
23 June 2003, 04:33 AM
Recovery was a short story in E-book form, and is printed in the back of the paperback edition of Star By Star, which seems to becoming the practice when concerning SW e-books. This is one of the reasons I now wait for paperbacks rather than forking out for the hard covers. Hope that helps.

Jedi_Staailis
23 June 2003, 04:33 AM
Edit: Codym beat me to it. Sorry for the redundant information.

Recovery is missing from the lists because it's an e-book. Hence, it's in its own section on Amazon (just to add to the general confusion :D). Here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005U7X3/102-9365377-0881712?v=glance) is a link to the Amazon page.

A few of the comments also refer to the e-book being included in the paperback version of Star By Star. Can anybody confirm that?

Wedge in Red2
23 June 2003, 04:45 AM
Well, it's not in the back of my copy of Star by Star :( - I just checked, as I bought it today with Balance Point (2 for 10, and they didn't have the Edge of Victory duology, so I grabbed the next book instead).

Jon

Wedge in Red2
17 August 2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Wedge in Red2
Well, it's not in the back of my copy of Star by Star :(

I tell a fib. Having just started on Star by Star, I found that Recovery is in fact in the front of my copy of Star by Star. I didn't realise I was reading recovery until I finished it, and went "huh?", then looked a bit more closely, saw the title page that said "Prologue: Recovery", and put 2 and 2 together to get 4.

Just thought others out there who (like me) are reading through the earlier books now might like to know.

Jon