PDA

View Full Version : Post NJo trilogy in the works

Tramp
19 June 2003, 06:11 PM
I was just up on Star Wars .com and found out that Troy Denning has been hired to write a new parerback trilogy set some time after the NJO series. It's supposed to be published in July of 2005. Check out the article here (http://starwars.com/eu/news/2003/06/news20030619.html)
I can't wait!!! What do you guys think of this news?

Nova Spice
19 June 2003, 08:19 PM
Indeed, I saw this as well and had a discussion with it amongst other Holonet members earlier.

I think this is great news; I'm glad Del Rey is opening up another era, like they did with the NJO. I hope Ben Skywalker features in this new series and of course, who better to write the trilogy than Troy Denning! :)

Jim Williams
20 June 2003, 03:24 AM
Ahhh, I hadn't considered it might be in the future enough for Ben to be a "player".

Darthspectre84
20 June 2003, 09:27 AM
Yeah Anakin Solo feared he might become the next vader.......now Ben Skywalker must worry about training the next Vader :D

Anyway it sounds great.....we will probably see the YV being such an enemy that will take a long time before they are beaten. Even worse then the Empire. Cause the Imperials are greedy and cant fight (well msot of them), but the YV are warriors and all so they could do more damage.

Nova Spice
20 June 2003, 09:54 AM
Anyway it sounds great.....we will probably see the YV being such an enemy that will take a long time before they are beaten. Even worse then the Empire. Cause the Imperials are greedy and cant fight (well msot of them), but the YV are warriors and all so they could do more damage.

Sue Rostoni mentioned that the New Jedi Order would not see the end of the Yuuzhan Vong menace. So, perhaps we'll find a galaxy being rebuilt in yet still, a war-torn setting. Or maybe, the Galactic Alliance will have to learn to coincide with the Yuuzhan Vong? I honestly do not know.

As far as the Remnant, I think the Galactic Alliance is the official end of the Empire. I think you'll find that the rift between the former New Republic and former Imperial Remnant has been bonded; the two are one now.

As far as the Imps being able to fight, I disagree with that! Check out the Battle of Borosk for details! :D

Tramp
20 June 2003, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure if little Ben is going to be a major player yet in the story, though we don't yet know how much time will have passed between the the end of the NJO and this new trilogy. More than likely, we can expect the series to focus more on the now grown Solo twins and their contemporaries. We might even see Jaina starting a family of her own. Who knows.

Darthspectre84
21 June 2003, 08:41 AM
I would think that Jaina and Jag would go throw like what happened with han leia....no not the fighting i meant that the progress they developed. Like perhaps in the begnning they go like the Truce at bakura stuff then go to more serious level where they start a family and all. i would think it would be unfair if they started this trilogy like 10 years after the Invasion by the YV.

And what i meant about the Imperial and YV stuff was that perhaps we see a YV warrior who is like their version of Thrawn. And like i meant equivalents to the Imperial chars who came after the death of old Palpy. Cause the YV will be alot more dangerous then the Imps that came after the Battle of Endor. Cause they were greedy and all. The Yv are ruthless.

Tramp
21 June 2003, 09:12 AM
I doubt that they'll rehash old plots like that. As far as Jaina and Jag go, I wouldn't be surprised if they get married at the end of the NJO orvery soon after. Their romance has gotten well into the serious range. I wouldn't doubt if they're physically intimate already.:o :D

Darthspectre84
21 June 2003, 09:18 AM
Bur my view would have xtended the SW universe indefinatly :) cause not like we see the end of SW or anything. Like there are not going to show another powerful alien race for a while.

Tramp
21 June 2003, 09:25 AM
They most likely will, just not by rehashing the same-old same-old. The stories may not be as galaxy shattering as the NJO has been, but will probably still be very fresh and exciting. Remember, we're now talking about the rebuilding of galactic civilization as we know it. If that doesn't provide for some great, and original story-telling, I don't know what is.

Master Tryka
21 June 2003, 11:39 AM
No no no... Jaina hasn't been "physically intimate" yet.... ewww :D I'm certain Jacen and Danni will be having a family of their own as well.

Tramp
21 June 2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Master Tryka
No no no... Jaina hasn't been "physically intimate" yet.... ewww :D I'm certain Jacen and Danni will be having a family of their own as well.

Oh, no? You should check out a couple of fan-fics I wrote posted over on mediaminer.org (http://ww.mediaminer.org) uin the hentai genre under non anime in the series listing; but only if you're old enough to hanldle ithem. (be sure to leave a review if you decide to check'em out.) As far as Jacen and Danni goes, we'll see. I'd still rather see him get back together with Tenel Ka. They have too much history for that relationship to just end.

Darthspectre84
21 June 2003, 12:23 PM
I would also go for Tenel Ka...i think it was her who liked him. But he did not respond in the same way.

So Tramp you think that they will be trying ot fight YV in the galaxy and perhaps some of the lesser races who are trying to take control in the chaos. Like who knows perhaps a band of rodians with the Hutts or something.

Oh and perhaps the Unknown Regions will be less...unknown :rolleyes: would be interesting though. Cause i remember Jag saying that there was a threat in the Unknown Regions that made the Yevethan Great Purge "seem like a fight". Do you suppose he meant the Ssi Ruuvi?

And do you think that at the end of the NJO series that Corsucant be the GA's again or it will stay in YV hands for a time?

Tramp
21 June 2003, 02:59 PM
If you've read the YJK series, then you'd know that there was some serious chemestry between Jacen and Tenel Ka. To have that end would just seem a bit like a waste. As far as The GA taking back Coruscant? We'll just have to wait and see.

Nova Spice
21 June 2003, 07:08 PM
And do you think that at the end of the NJO series that Corsucant be the GA's again or it will stay in YV hands for a time?

I don't think it'll ever be in the GA's hands again. It's not Coruscant anymore; it's Yuuzhan'tar. Like Chewie and Anakin before it; the galactic capital has become a casualty as well. :(

Tramp
21 June 2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Nova Spice

I don't think it'll ever be in the GA's hands again. It's not Coruscant anymore; it's Yuuzhan'tar. Like Chewie and Anakin before it; the galactic capital has become a casualty as well. :(

Never say never, Nova. We don't know how the series is going to end just yet. Who knows, if the Shamed ones revolt, and succeed, then they might end up sharing Coruscant/Yuuzhan'tar with the GA. Who's to say for sure.

Darthspectre84
22 June 2003, 03:13 AM
Yeah but that will not really happen will it? cause think about all the other races....not are exactly nice minded.

The Bothans hate the YV (doesnt matter which caste or if they are on their side).Rodians hate them for all the genetic experimentation.Hutts hate them for the loss of their worlds

I mean practically every race known will have a deep hatred of the YV. Compare it to the real human world. Cause that how it might be reflected in the Stwars universe. And i am not sure if Nom Anor will allow what you said will happen. He is just using them to climb the ladder to kick Shimra off and replace him. Personally i hope Nom Anor, Nem Yim, Harrar and Onimbi (sp?) survive. They would be such a problem for the GA after the war.

Jedi Master Talon
22 June 2003, 10:58 AM
I think this is amazing because I love the NJO series and I'd love to know what happens to the characters next.

Kanner Ra'an
22 June 2003, 12:08 PM
I cant wait to see how the NJO turns out. We've been guarenteed a shocking end, though i hope its something more shocking then another character death. I too want to see the Vong stick around. I also really want them to remain strong instead of ending up washed up like the remnant. And am i the only one who thinks that Nom Anor isn't gonna kill Shimraa. I personally think its gonna be the other way around.

Darthspectre84
22 June 2003, 12:26 PM
what i meant was that Nom Anor's view is that happeneniing. But i am not sure about Shimraa cause in FH2 we really see him being very frustrated and all. If he survives then the war has truly not ended has it? If Shimraa dies then the Castes will be separated and Domains will be fighting eachother and the GA. If he lives then there will be alot more trouble for the GA.

I know this is kind of off topic but i think we have never seen a YV who can match flying skills with Luke or Wedge or Baron Fel.

Tramp
22 June 2003, 06:36 PM
Once again though, Only LFL and the authors know for sure how the NJO story arc will finally end. We will just have to wait and see.

Paul Klein
26 June 2003, 12:50 AM
*sigh*

I really wish this was coming out before March 2005. Way before then.

So damn long to wait! I hope we get more info on it soon however. About how long after the NJO the books are set and what the general plotline is all about.

They couldn't have picked a better author for it though. Troy Denning is probably the best Star Wars author I've read (and I've read them all ).

Darthspectre84
26 June 2003, 03:00 AM
Well perhaps its going to be two years after the YV invasion stops....cause i would imagine the heroes of the ST universe would need a break :)
But there would be alot of tension in the galaxy....and i mean alot...

Wedge in Red2
26 June 2003, 03:42 AM
Anyone else seeing the parallels between what they're doing with SW and what they did with Dragonlance?

I mean, both had an extensive number of novels after early success, they start to develop the offspring of the original heroes as characters, then *bam* make a massive change to the dynamic of the world. In Dragonlance I can't remember much of it (it's been a long time), but there was Sturm and Kitiara's son Steel, some of Caramon's kids, and Tanis and Laurana's son. They write "Dragons of Summers Flame", then have all the Dragons rise up and take over, then start marketing stuff as "The Fifth Age". I stopped reading well before that point, so can't really comment on it.

However, it sounds very similar. The designers must sit there thinking "we've got this brand, and it's really popular, but it's been going for ages now and interest is flagging. Plus, the characters are getting really old. So, we'll introduce their offspring as the new heroes, then drastically chance their world to try and drum up new interest". Okay, maybe it's cynical of me...

Jon

AzmoDanakar
26 June 2003, 10:52 AM
You bring up a good point Wedge, but cataclysm and rebirth are popular elements in Fantasy drama.

Cavgunner11
29 June 2003, 05:05 AM
Hentai? You can't be serious! Whatever filth you decided to post on some smut site has absolutely no bearing to the discussion at hand.

Originally posted by Tramp

Oh, no? You should check out a couple of fan-fics I wrote posted over on mediaminer.org (http://ww.mediaminer.org) uin the hentai genre under non anime in the series listing; but only if you're old enough to hanldle ithem. (be sure to leave a review if you decide to check'em out.)

Tramp
29 June 2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Cavgunner11
Hentai? You can't be serious! Whatever filth you decided to post on some smut site has absolutely no bearing to the discussion at hand.

Actually, it's not a "smut site" it's a predomenately Anime based fanfiction site that covers all genres of fanfiction, The point I was making is that, Fighter pilots being what they are (male or female regardless), with the possibility of death happening during any given mission, routinely seek intimate relations with members of the opposite sex. If they're in a steady relationship, then almost without a doubt, physical intimacy is involved. This is also true with other combat heavy or otherwise dangerous professions as well.

Cavgunner11
29 June 2003, 08:38 PM
I apologize, allow me to clarify.

Your smut has absolutely no bearing on this discussion.

While relationships have always been an important part of Star Wars, they have never been portrayed in the purely gratuitous manner common to hentai. Or do your fanfics- which you admit are posted in that section- feature simple and heartwarming love stories?

Somehow, I doubt that they do.

Let's call a spade a spade. Star Wars is a modern fairy tale. That sort of fiction (if it can even be called that) only serves to ridicule and diminish its spirit.

BRodgers
30 June 2003, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Cavgunner11
Or do your fanfics- which you admit are posted in that section- feature simple and heartwarming love stories?

Uh..no, no the writing style is more accurately called "erotica".

Depicting emotional attachment between two characters is always a struggle for any writer. When you are dealing with Star Wars, even more so. While the opportunity exists to be as explicit as we would like, *I* tend to think that I'm somewhat of a caretaker of a mythos when ever I write the fiction for my site, and as such, have a responsibility to the reader and the creator of the universe I'm allowed to play in.

Just recently I struggled with a simple line that reads :

"His bare form scurried across the room to retreive his flight suit"

And I had to struggle with THAT a lot before I finally decided to leave it in.

Anyway, I guess it's what you want to take away from Star Wars that will determine the kinds of fiction you write. Perhaps in the future any discussion or "advertisement" of one's fiction should pretty much stick tto the Fan Fiction forums here on the Holonet, so as not to upset folks.

Just my thoughts.

;)

Wedge in Red2
30 June 2003, 06:51 AM
For my 2cr on the matter Ė the Star Wars movies do not deal with the type of physical intimacy that I believe (without going to the sites mentioned) that this fan fiction deals with. Rather than looking at sexual intimacy, they deal with emotional intimacy. Remember the scenes with Han and Leia repairing the Falcon in ESB? Or the kiss between Anakin and Amidala on Naboo in AotC? None of this developed to a sexual level because at itís core SW is space opera Ė it is meant to reflect a higher ideal than base sexual urges.

Now, if we could stick to the original topic, that would be much appreciated. I would recommend that, should this discussion wish to be continued that it is done elsewhere.

Thanks,

Jon

Darthspectre84
30 June 2003, 11:35 AM
we were talking about the post NJO books....

I would think that in this time some people would try to bring war back. I am not talking about the YV :P i mean like races that have suffered some loss in the YV's invasion. So its possible that when the peace is between the YV and GA, some group of Bothans will try to start the war again. Did the Bothan homeworld get attacked by the YV?

Corwin
30 June 2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by BRodgers
"His bare form scurried across the room to retreive his flight suit"

I think maybe you should have struggled with that line a little more :raised:

BRodgers
30 June 2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Corwin

I think maybe you should have struggled with that line a little more :raised:

Opinion noted. Without sabotaging this thread, if you would like to take the conversation to the Fan Fiction Forum or over e-mail I would be happy to discuss it.

Ardent
1 July 2003, 04:30 PM
I dunno. While I think Troy Denning is a fantastic writer, I remain skeptical until I can get my hands on the actual novels and read them for myself. There are some decidedly 'eh' novels in the NJO saga (and 'eh' passages in some novels), but that shouldn't detract from the fantastic nature of the saga as a whole.

As far as Tramp's fanfics, I haven't read them, but I have to agree with the merit of the thought that pilots do seek physical comfort as frequently as they can get it. However, I think Tramp has overlooked a few things. First and foremost is Jagged Fel's upbringing in an Imperial noble family. He's a gentleman. A complete gentleman. A rarity amongst pilots.

Secondly, both Jagged and Jaina are introverted people. They aren't quick to share, especially in any physical way (although Jaina is significantly more touchy-feely than Jag).

The final, and perhaps most damning thought is, would Jaina have been a virgin when she met Jag? What would lead you to believe that? I mean...she had plenty of intrests prior to him, and it's hard to believe she lacked for suitors.

As far as a family goes, I think they'll take their time. Jaina is as much a fighter as Jag is, and I don't think she'd take kindly to being taken out of a war just so she could guarantee the continuance of the Fel line.

Of course, intimacy is implied in Star Wars. While I certainly don't mind...smut...here and there, I think that's the best policy where something as massively circulated as Star Wars is concerned.

In the future Cavgunner11, remember that it's easy to criticize the work without criticizing the author. Tramp in no way deserved that, and has at least some skill as a writer. He just happens to choose to write romance stories. Unless you prescribe to certain religious doctrines there is nothing wrong with sexually explicit writing. If you do prescribe to the doctrines, please remember, some of us don't.

Anyhow, the above are my thoughts on the issue Tramp. I'd love to hear your counterpoints.

Cavgunner11
1 July 2003, 09:12 PM
Ardent, since I don't wish to derail this thread any further I am responding to you privately.

Corwin
21 July 2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Ardent

The final, and perhaps most damning thought is, would Jaina have been a virgin when she met Jag? What would lead you to believe that? I mean...she had plenty of intrests prior to him, and it's hard to believe she lacked for suitors.

I've only just started in on the NJO books, so I can't speak for anything between Vector Prime and when Tramp was talking about, but I'd say that she was a virgin before the start of NJO. Although she was getting kind of chummy with Zek in the later half of the Young Jedi Knights series (the only good thing KJA every wrote). Still, that relationship was always kind of understated, and I donít think anything of that nature ever happened between them. Then again, I could be wrong - teenagers are pretty resourceful in this regard ;)

Originally posted by Tramp
As far as Jacen and Danni goes, we'll see. I'd still rather see him get back together with
Tenel Ka. They have too much history for that relationship to just end.

I donít know... Jacen was what? 14 when that relationship started. How many of end up with the girl we had a crush on when we were 14? I know it happens, but I think Danni is a much more likely choice.

I never really liked Tenel Ka much anyhow. Danni on the other hand makes me wish I lived in the Star Wars universe again :D

Darthspectre84
22 July 2003, 05:02 AM
oooo someone seems to like Danni ;) hehe. But can we go back on topic. The future of the Starwars galaxy is at stake :P

Marusame
22 July 2003, 10:48 AM
Danni on the other hand makes me wish I lived in the Star Wars universe again

Again? Something your not telling us?

Corwin
23 July 2003, 01:40 AM
You heard me. I may be sitting here typing this as a mild-mannored college student, but three years ago I was running a tramp freighter down the Rimma Trade Route, trying to avoid Imperial entanglements. :D

Seriously, the ďagainĒ part of my comment was because that used to be my fantasy. I didnít really grow out of it as much as found other fantasies to replace it. But with chicks like Danni in the galaxy it makes me reconsider thigns ;)

Errin Orwain
26 July 2003, 11:56 AM
well this could be cool. If Jag and Jaina get toghter we could see a new breed of super-pilots:skypilot:

Kanner Ra'an
26 July 2003, 02:38 PM
Ya. Fel, Antillies, Solo, Skywalker. Those kids would be destined to fly. Though it would be ironic if they got space stick.

Tramp
26 July 2003, 07:14 PM
And knowing what gets passed down the female line in Jaina's family, you can expect her to have a set of twins of her own when(and if) she and Jag do have kids of their own.:D

Ardent
27 July 2003, 05:22 AM
Well, there's no doubt the Solo and Fel children are destined to fly, but the Antilles girls have their mother's heritage as a law enforcement officer and detective as well. I think it more than likely they'd become members of whatever major law enforcement group the Galactic Alliance establishes. Ben Skywalker? Eh. I don't see him being a pilot first Jedi second kind of character. I'm sure Luke and Mara will teach him to fly, but I doubt he'll take to it quite like they did.

I'm actually curious to see what the next generation of Jedi Knights will end up being like. Both of Corran's kids are included in it.

Just my thoughts on the issue...

Darthspectre84
27 July 2003, 08:19 AM
Well they may be hunted by insane Shapers :P :)
As for the new generation of Jedi.....well the YV will respect them after some incidents like the tale of the Jedi Giant ;).

As for what they maybe like? well who knows. Its difficult to say what is going to happen at this point as the NJO books are basically bringing every SW encounter together. From tales fo the clone wars to the other aline menaces to characters. As for Ben Skywalker..perhaps he to take the steps like Obi Wan. And trains a Sith :D lol

Errin Orwain
27 July 2003, 02:10 PM
yeah Ganner was good, but would you want to go up against a pair of jedi twins that fly like Han or Wedge and have the force skills and focus of Luke or Anakin!!!

Remus Lightforce
23 August 2003, 04:11 PM
That's sick, <b>Tramp</b>, leave Jag and Jaina alone!

This isn't real life, it's Star Wars. Go watch the original trilogy again. The underlying plot throughout everything that light conquers dark, good triumphs over evil in the end, and the general mood. Such things I'm sure were not lost to the authors of the novels.

Just because a relationship prompts you to immediately assume the most absolute extreme and write a fanfic about it does in no way make it part of Star Wars, <I>much less</I> a part of this discussion. I'm almost offended you even posted that here.

Please, let's stay in the spirit of Star Wars here. There's enough in the real world to deal with, leave Star Wars alone!

Corwin
23 August 2003, 08:10 PM
Wow, isnít Monday afternoon quarter-backing fun. Or maybe I should say Monday afternoon flaming.

Rule of thumb Remus, if itís more then a few weeks old ignor it or take it to e-mail. No point starting some thing this late in the game since the only thing that will come of it is bad feelings.

Remus Lightforce
23 August 2003, 08:21 PM
Yeah, probably should have...

I just finished Reunion, though, so I'm reading through all the topics I was afraid of being spoiled in before.

BrianDavion
23 August 2003, 08:54 PM
Well, there's no doubt the Solo and Fel children are destined to fly, but the Antilles girls have their mother's heritage as a law enforcement officer and detective as well.

I think what was ment is that jaine and jaged's kids would be a cross of the solo, antillies, skywalker and fel lines.

remember Jagged is Wedges Nephew

Errin Orwain
24 August 2003, 07:16 AM
And I seem to remember Tramp posting this in response to my posting that it would be cool IF Jag and Jaina were to get together because any kids would be awsome pilots. It was not stated as fact or anything other then voicing the same kind of "what if" interest that some people had about Leia and Han and wouldn't their kids be great Jedi, that alot of fans of the EU felt before the NJO came out and proved us right on that one.

Wedge in Red2
24 August 2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Remus Lightforce
That's sick, <b>Tramp</b>, leave Jag and Jaina alone!

I thought I'd said it once (although it might have been by PM), but I'll say it again anyway.

Tramp and I have had a talk about the link he posted. The matter has been dealt with. If you don't want to be confronted with that stuff, don't click through to the site. If you (and by you I mean everyone) have an issue with a post, click on the report link (near "edit" and "quote") and report that post. Don't take matters into your own hands.

Let's keep this thing on topic, or I'll be forced to go back and delete a whole bunch of posts, and I'm really not keen to do that.

Jon