PDA

View Full Version : OOC: Paths of the Force

Pages : [1] 2

Rogue Janson
20 June 2003, 03:02 PM
This is the out of character thread for the Paths of the Force campaign.

Paths of the Force is a campaign aimed primarily at Jedi set in the Tales of the Jedi era.

So far, players are Farr0095, Vreel Kudarin, the ghost and Kanner Ra'an Anyone else wishing to join is welcome. Even after we start playing, I may accept new players if I think they have a good character and will contribute well to the game. (For basic details, see this (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12947) thread.)

Game guidelines
All the usual things apply.
If you're going to be absent for a while, please tell someone. In the case of particularly long absences, you can ask someone else to play your character for a bit.

Posting
Posting should be regular. This is important - I'm not being harsh, but it's essential to keep the game going.
Posts should be made in 3rd person, present tense.
They should be descriptive. Things to put in include your character's feelings and thoughts as well as their actions. Also, if you add some description of your surroundings, other characters, and whatever, that would be very nice.
Perfect spelling and grammar are not essential as long as your posts are readable, but try and keep it decent.
You may have limited control over things other than your character. For example, you can make up incidental characters - if you're doing a gather information search, you can write up some conversations with random people. In regular situations, you can have limited control over NPCs, if you feel you know how they act. You can also perform basic tasks without going through me. Getting all this right will be tricky at first, but everyone should get used to it. If you overstep the mark, I may let it slide, I may counteract it IC by some improbably turnaround (in both cases I'll tell you), but in major cases I'll have to override what you've posted (hopefully it'll be in time for you to edit it out).
It should be clear from your post what you intend to do or are doing. OOC stuff should be labelled as such and kept to a minimum. There shouldn't be much need for it though. Hopefully it should only be used if you want to make particularly clear what you want to do in rules terms (eg. some advanced combat manoeuvre, or a big decision like spending a FP).
Remember to keep to the pathos of the game. Generally this should be slightly mystical, antiquated. The tales of the jedi era is a little different to later eras in its feel.

Rules
I will handle all rules stuff. Generally you shouldn't worry about the rules, just do whatever you think is in character. If it's not covered by the rules, I will interpret them as I see fit, or even ignore them. The rules should be a rough guideline for you though, eg. you shouldn't use trained only skills.
We will use some house rules, which I will put up soon. The important ones for now are that a variant of the Online Journal Force techniques will be used, Force using classes get 1 extra skill point and See Force and Force Stealth have been significantly changed (and improved).
I won't post the results of checks, or even what checks have been made, but I will keep you updated on VPs and WPs, and any other important character info, like ability point losses.
Experience points will be given primarily for what your character does, with bonuses for acting in character. It will not be given for the quality and content of your posts; I trust you to keep this high without this incentive. (Btw, if you know you're levelling up soon and getting some new abilities, try and foreshadow them in your posts, eg. if you intend to take heroic surge, your character could put in that little bit more effort to act quickly, but not quite manage in time)
I reserve the right to change the rules whenever I see fit.

Combat
This may be tricky to explain, I hope it's clear to everyone.
Combat will not be done on a round by round basis. Players should give an idea of what their characters intend to. I will run the combat myself until something new happens, then post it up. In certain cases I may decide on a character's reaction myself - though of course I won't make any major decisions (like killing that defenceless opponent).
eg. a character is pinned behind a wall. The player has indicated he will try and keep his attackers pinned down as well. I do several rounds of firing until maybe the character takes heavy VP damage, or is flanked, then I'll post and the player can decide what to do.
I want players to be able to describe how they fight, especially for melee combat. So the description will be 'shared out'. I will post a fairly sparse description of what happens in a combat, then the player can describe in detail all the stuff his character does. Of course if I want to elaborate on an NPC's style, or make a point of my own about a character, I'll take over the description a bit more.
So to summarise - post 1: GM sets scene for combat; post 2: player outlines character's intended actions; post 3: GM reports on actions; post 4: player describes the actions taken, and again outlines intended actions.
I'll probably post up an example of how this should work - imo it sounsd more complex than it is, though it may still take a bit of practice.

I'm working on a set of era notes to introduce people who aren't familiar with the ToJ time to it, and also to outline my vision of it to those who are.

I'm sure I'll think up more stuff to ramble about as we go along.

Anyway, down to more interesting business. Can everyone please post up their characters, or what they have so far.

As I've said before, use a 30 point attribute buy for your stats. I've decided not to use hero's guide stuff for now (though you may be able to persuade me to allow exceptions if something really fits your character). I'll roll vitality for you.
Important house rule #1: all Force using classes get one extra skill point.

Once you've posted your characters up I'll start asking loads of annoying questions about them.

I hope I haven't put everyone off with an overlong introduction and I hope everyone has fun when we start playing.

Tim

farr0095
20 June 2003, 04:43 PM
Guess I'll be the first to say, good stuff and glad to be here! Rules sound simple enough, and the theme most... interesting. I can't wait to get the ball rolling. :)

The Ghost
20 June 2003, 09:42 PM
i just hope you don't hate my Jedi too much.

Rogue Janson
21 June 2003, 03:16 AM
As long as s/he(/it) is actually a Jedi it should be ok. Neither Shannon nor Kanner's characters are, so it's resting on you and Chivers. If not, then we're going to need another player or two, or one of you is going to have to change your character, which is not something I want to happen.

If you haven't already, I recommend you have a look at the stuff I've put up here (http://groups.msn.com/swrpg/yourwebpage2.msnw), which includes a bio of Shan Toleda, who will be the master for the group's jedi. I'll stick up more stuff here from time to time as we go along.

Here are some things that you should consider for your characters. You don't have to come up with something for all of them, but at least have a think about them all. One important thing is that I'd much rather have you describe something to me than just see it on your stat block.

Physical
Basic physical features - height, build, skin/hair/eye colour etc., distinctive features (if any)
Clothing, apparel, possessions
General appearance - eg. scruffy, neat, ridiculous, intimidating, etc.

Mental/Emotional
Intelligence, areas of knowledge, areas of aptitude (eg. good at logic, good intuition)
Motivation, goals
Strengths, weaknesses, fears
Likes, loves, dislikes

Social
Family, friends, enemies?
Personality - outgoing, introverted, abrasive, caring, outspoken etc etc
Social skills - ability to read others, empathise, charm etc.
Attitude to people close to them (at the moment primarily the other PCs, Master Toleda, Orlan Toora).

History
Since you're at level 4, your characters may have done a thing or two. If you can think of anything particularly dramatic or character forming, put it in.

The Ghost
21 June 2003, 06:50 AM
well i'm just working on fleshing out the history, which is why i'm playing her. the link i gave you is complete for now, until i find a good picture and the story bits come to me. the sheet is done at least.

Rogue Janson
21 June 2003, 08:41 AM
I completely forgot about you sending that link. I'll go check it out right away.

...from the stats, certainly looks like an interesting character, so I await a write up with anticipation (is that tautology?). Only concern is psychometry. Are you one of the people are normally allowed it? (I forget their name) Otherwise, though I'll let you take it, you'll need a pretty strong character reason for it.

Rogue Janson
21 June 2003, 09:32 AM
Force Strike will revert to Force Push (or possibly some comination of the two). Either way you will not get dark side points for using it (as long as you use it sparingly, carefully etc.).

The Ghost
21 June 2003, 10:49 AM
just to play devil's advocate. i haven't had any problems with Force Strike in our games. not using it on living creatures is easy enough because that's the only way it gives you a DSP. it's still handy against multiple droids.

Rogue Janson
21 June 2003, 01:29 PM
Well, I won't go into my reasons for preferring Force Push over Force Strike here, but suffice to say I believe you should be able to use the Force to fight. Master Thon blatantly uses Force push in one of the ToJ comics.

This brings me onto another point:

The Force
In this game the Force works how I envision it. No arguments. I do have a fairly conventional view of the Force though, so it shouldn't be a great problem.
While I encourage your characters to debate the nature of the Force, bear in mind that there are some things that just can't be explained or made sense of from our point of view. How far you take an argument, and when you're satisfied with an explanation should be down to your character as much as the actual content of the discussion.

Finally, respect your superiors. In game Jedi Masters are wise individuals, they just happen to be played by me. I'll return the favour if you become Jedi Masters yourselves by not pointing out the stupid things you say. :D

farr0095
21 June 2003, 02:11 PM
All seems fair and sufficient. I'm glad to hear about the Force Strike/Push house rule. Speaking of, did you like the version we have in IoT? As for the Force, it only makes sense to have it your way. :) After all, we get to play in your mind... er, universe. ;)

Vreel Kudarin
22 June 2003, 03:11 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know I am paying attention, I'm just ironing out a few details, and the history of my character, with our esteemed GM Rogue Janson :janson: .

A big "May the Force be with you" to Kanner Ra'an , The Ghost , farr0095 , and anyone else who might be thinking of joining :sabersml: !

solkan_uk
23 June 2003, 04:49 AM
Is there still an opening for new players?

If you are please let me know and I'll be happy to make up a character by the end of the week.

Rogue Janson
23 June 2003, 11:20 AM
Is there still an opening for new players?
Absolutely, though you may have to develop your character fairly quickly.

House rules have been delayed slightly by a technical hitch. Also I've realised I completely forgot about C&CW (which I don't have). That's caused a minor problem as The Ghost has taken a feat that's covered by a Force technique. So I'm gonna compare the two and decide which one's better.

Era notes should be up soon; thanks to Shannon for scanning and sending me a bit of the D6 TotJ SB.

Will someone please post some character details up - they don't have to be totally finalised, it'll give everyone else a chance to comment and start working out how all the characters relate to one another. Seems like everyone's being really secretive at the moment.

The Ghost
23 June 2003, 09:43 PM
http://www.geocities.com/amdavis@flash.net/d20/SW/mia.html

if you don't mind, i'd rather just keep the feat.

Rogue Janson
24 June 2003, 09:19 AM
Having read through the nature affinity and sense life properly, they actually do different things, so there's no conflict between them.

House Rules are up!
Most important are the changes in See Force, Force Push and Force Stealth, and the Force Techniques (though none of your characters will have these yet).
I hope I haven't forgotten anything important.

Rogue Janson
24 June 2003, 01:18 PM
Second try... here they are.

farr0095
24 June 2003, 01:52 PM
Identified in his first year of life as a Force-sensitive individual, Gallagher’s family relinquished him to the Jedi for training as one of their order. The Flint’s traced several Jedi in their lineage, although most of the family fell to the other common Corellian trades. Gallagher thus began his life isolated from his family and studying to serve and protect the Galactic Republic.

Gallagher always struggled with his training in the mystical arts, despite his instructors’ best attempts to provide any necessary additional tutoring. No matter all the additional assistance they provided, Gallagher could hardly master the basics of manipulating the Force. By his eighth birthday, he already knew that he did not have the necessary skills to follow through the curriculum and become a Jedi Knight.

While the Jedi Masters also knew that Gallagher lacked the potential to become a Jedi, they also did not want him to fall to the Dark Side for lack of guidance and instruction. Their problem solved itself as Gallagher – seasoned and matured by his eight years of training – volunteered to continue to serve the Jedi Order as a Jedi Auxiliary.

The Jedi Auxiliaries existed to aid and assistance the Jedi in their missions throughout the galaxy. Not all Auxiliaries had access to the Force, but all volunteered to help the Guardians of the Republic. While they admired and typically upheld the tenets of the Jedi, they were not bound to the same obligations and restrictions of their allies.

Allowed several more years of formal education before beginning his service with the Auxiliaries, Gallagher returned home, although the reunion placed him with a family with whom he had no connections. Nevertheless, the Flints look out for their own, and always made sure he had anything he needed to continue his training in preparation for his service to the Jedi Order. Additionally, several of the less respectable elements of the family took the opportunity to train the young man in valuable, yet shadier skills that the Jedi might “overlook” in their prospectus.

Upon his sixteenth birthday, Gallagher voluntarily left his paternal family to answer his internal call to join the Jedi Auxiliaries. Immediately he felt back in his element, comfortable amongst the Jedi and fellow Auxiliaries with whom he served. While the Jedi served honorable missions, Gallagher never forgot the lessons learned from the Flints.

During downtime between missions, Gallagher continued exploring the underworld, and often even teaching his seniors in the Auxiliaries tricks and tips about starships, flying and how to navigate both the streets and starts in the fashion which makes Corellians famous. Gallagher found he had a penchant for gambling and talking his way in and out of trouble, often with a gentle caress with the minor Force training he received in his youth.

Twelve years after joining the Auxiliaries, Gallagher has traversed many sections of the galaxy in the name of the Jedi Order and the Force. He awaits the day when he will receive command of his own ship and crew. In the mean time, he happily serves his post and enjoys the many travels and adventures into which he lands.

Rogue Janson
25 June 2003, 12:58 PM
Era notes (save for the history) are up here (http://groups.msn.com/swrpg/tojeranotes.msnw) now. May have some pictures to go with it soon.

I assume Gallagher has a fairly standard Corellian personality? (unchanged for thousands of years ;)) Any particular deviations, maybe a result of his abortive Jedi training or Force sensitivity that we should know about?
Also, what does the fellow look like?

For the other players, your characters will have met and worked with Gallagher before (though he did not train under Master Toleda), so you know him at the start of the campaign.

Hopefully chivers will post up his character later this evening or tomorrow.

Vreel Kudarin
25 June 2003, 01:40 PM
Nice to see the characters starting to go up! Below is a brief outlining of my character, Adun-Isl. I shall post up his history (which should help explain/expand a few things below) once I've finished it off.

Physical
Adun-Isl stands at 1.7 metres. Adun-Isl is covered in scales ranging from purple to dark pink. As a Draethos, he possesses beady black eyes, and his lipless mouth gives the impression of a large overbite. Adun-Isl has a toned muscular frame, and keeps up his physical fitness alongside his Jedi training, sometimes as a means of being by himself.

Since beginning training under Jedi Master Toleda, Adun-Isl has taken to wearing a dark slate-grey robe, and volumous neutral-coloured trousers. He wears brownish plated boots, combat gauntlets, and headress of Draethos design. Attached to the belt around his robe he carries the lightsaber Master Toleda has given him until he can construct his own. The lightsaber is of a standard design for the era, possessing three prongs at the blade emitter end, and decorative right-angled patterns etched into the dark metal bands around each end. The handle grip is swathed in black material. Besides this, Adun-Isl has few possessions, as befits a Jedi.

Mental/Emotional
Adun-Isl is of average intelligence, though he has experienced relatively little of galactic society in the Republic; thus sometimes he is unsure of what behaviour is expected of him, or how others will react. His main area of knowledge is the Jedi Code as taught by Master Toleda. He has shown a keen interest in tales of the great deeds of the Jedi since the commencement of his training, and enjoys listening to Orlan Toora's stories.

He is very aware of his surroundings, and tends to constantly re-evaluate what he is sensing, especially when away from Tanaab, where he feels most comfortable. This can give the impression that Adun-Isl is paranoid. Adun-Isl has good intuition, and the area of the Force he has advanced most in is it's applications relating to sensing and being sensed.

Adun-Isl enjoys his lightsabre practice, and has shown interest in learning how to construct one of his own. He spends more time sparring than he does in discussion with his fellow Jedi.

Tanaab is decidely home for Adun-Isl now. He enjoys his peaceful time there, where he understands the people, and has peers who can share in his exploration of the Force. When traveling off world, Adun-Isl becomes more introverted, and wary. He finds trust hard to come by since the events of his childhood. He is confident in his own abilities of stealth, evasion, and awareness.

Adun-Isl detests the violence and brutality the Mandalorians unleashed on his home, and wishes to prevent future atrocities of this kind. After hearing more of the evil carried out by the Mandalorians during the Sith War, Adun-Isl's ill-feelings towards them were reinforced. He attempts to control these feelings, as he knows as a Jedi he must not give in to hatred, but at times he finds this difficult. As he is rarely vocal, Adun-Isl often manages to keep these background thoughts secret.

Social
Adun-Isl often finds social situations difficult to gauge, and can appear twitchy and nervous sometimes. In this way Adun-Isl lacks charisma. He prefers to hang back in discussions or conversations, though is keen on companionship, and eager to help and apply the Jedi Code. Due to his high level of observation, he is usually good at reading people.

Adun-Isl is close to the adoptive Human parents Toleda placed him with after rescuing him as a child in the Sith War. Their own children had already grown up when they agreed to help raise him, so Adun-Isl receieved their undivided attention. However, he grew up realising he was different, and often longed for his parents, or at least the company of some other Draethos. It took Adun-Isl a long time to accept his parents had been killed in the Mandalorian raid on the space station that had been his home. Alongside the care his adoptive parents showed him, Master Toleda tutored Adun-Isl on the Jedi Path. He has great respect for Toleda, ever since her dramatic entrance as saviour in his life, and thinks of her as another member of his adoptive family.

His only real friends are the other students under Master Toleda, though they may not realise that he feels this camaraderie due to his slightly introverted nature. In recent months he has also made a few acquaintances with the farmers and civilians of Tanaab, helping out with various tasks from time to time, as Master Toleda expects.

I've posted a quick concept sketch of Adun-Isl here (http://groups.msn.com/SWRPG/totjcampaignimages.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=162)

The Ghost
25 June 2003, 03:03 PM
Chaos and pain was all Mia-Lann Saar knew for many years. She grew up on a world that lived in relative peace, but at the age of three, it was devastated by a great evil. Orphaned after a hoard of sentients came through her small town, cutting everyone down with glowing-red swords and bolts of lighting springing from their fingertips, Mia-Lann was found, huddled under the corpse of her mother by an elderly human named Adon Kur.

The atrocity had helped manifest the Force powers that dwelled within her, but left her deeply troubled. Adon took her then to Coruscant, to the Jedi.

Now, sixteen years later, she has become a promising padawan, if not somewhat shy around people other than Master Kur. Mia-Lann still has nightmares, deeply troubling visions of her youth, but shares this with nobody. She tries to project a sense of being strong at all times.

farr0095
25 June 2003, 05:11 PM
Rogue Janson, you asked for details, and so you'll get details. But just remember, you wanted more information!

Edit: (On 7 Jan 04) Since we had a request for more information on the characters by Macdeth, I thought I'd copy Gallagher's physical traits out of the document and to here. Here you go:

Physical Traits:
Shoulder length auburn hair with bangs that often droop down into his eyes. Usually the hair is pulled back into a ponytail to keep it out of his way. His dark brown eyes casually take everything in, watching for minute details that might make the difference in walking away from a fight and getting into one. His lips are usually set into cocky smirk, as if Gallagher knows something that everyone else doesn’t; half of the time this is true.
A loose uniform of his organization drapes casually across his lean body, his muscles sinewy and not readily visible. Comfortable black leather spacer’s boots are molded perfectly to fit his feet from years of wear, their toes scuffed and the shafts showing a hint of polish from occasional care. Dark pants that fit his waist get baggy around his hips before tightening as the legs are tucked into the tops of the boots. A cream, slack, long sleeve, pullover shirt hangs from his shoulders with the v-neck opening to show the top of his chest. It rests under a dark utility jacket that doubles as a uniform top and which holds a variety of gadgets from a comlink to a credit chip.

Rogue Janson
26 June 2003, 02:08 PM
Right, a few things have changed today.

Firstly, the good news is the we should have Ardent joining us.
Secondly Farr has agreed to change his character to a Jedi if we need to bring the Jedi numbers up.
Thirdly, Vreel may also be coming up with a new character, though hopefully he'll just make do with just changing his current one a bit.

Ghost, Kanner, pms should have landed in your inboxes by the time you read this. Here are some questions about Mia-Lan Sarr to answer out in the open:

- What are Mia-Lan's aims and objectives in life?
- As a rather timid person, and one with experience of its negative side, how does she feel about using the Force? In particular does she shy away from telepathy and healing, since these involve close personal contact?
- Why does she have psychometry? (usually an ability only known to the kiffar)

And finally, for everyone:
- Has your character ever killed anyone? How do they feel about it? (whether or not they have)

The game seems to me to be in a bit of a state of flux at the moment, but I suppose it only really affects the characters involved and the timing of the start, so no reason to worry about anything.

solkan_uk
27 June 2003, 02:17 AM
I made a character, but decided that I've not really got the time to commit to this endeavor. It wouldn't be fair on the rest of you to delay the game due to my sporadic 'net access.
Sorry.

Vreel Kudarin
27 June 2003, 09:03 AM
I've been trying to tie down my character with Rogue Janson off the Holonet, and I should be able to bring it together over the next couple of days, though the details I've already posted up are a good guide for anyone who's interested.

As to the question of having killed or not, Adun-Isl will not have killed anyone. His angle on the idea of taking a life would come from his devotion to the Jedi Code: that to end a life should always be a last choice, when all other possibilities have been considered. Only when absolutely neccessary should a Jedi kill. Even then, it must be done dispassionately, with a clear mind.

Rogue Janson
28 June 2003, 02:04 PM
It's a pity to lose Solkan, but I'd rather that than have a player forced to drop out early on.

Currently we have:

Ardent - Nikalya Renew, human F, Force adept from a noble Anaxes family.
Farr - Gallagher Flint, human M, Jedi Auxiliary officer.
Ghost - Mia-Lan Sarr, human F, fragile Jedi Guardian.
Kanner - Kanner Ra'an, human M, wild Force Adept.
Vreel - Draethos M, stealthy, introverted Jedi.

I'm thinking about starting around mid-week sometime, if that's ok with everyone.

Kanner Ra'an
28 June 2003, 02:19 PM
Fine by me. I cant wait to start.

The Ghost
30 June 2003, 03:34 AM
oh good. i'm not the only Jedi.

Rogue Janson
30 June 2003, 09:47 AM
yeah, there's a slight shortage of Jedi, but two out of five is enough for me. And Ardent's character may be heading that way as well.

Final things to check on character profiles:

- You're accounted for any Dark Side Points gained and any Force Points gained/spent.
- You've remembered to add the extra skill point for Force using classes.

A couple of you don't know your VPs, I'll pm them to you soon.

I drafted up the first post today, so we might start tomorrow.

Kanner Ra'an
30 June 2003, 12:34 PM
Ok, heres the backround for my PC.Kanner Ra'an: Kanner Ra'an is a twenty seven year old full blooded Korun. He was born to the Recdat goush on his home planet of Korun. When he was nineteen he had already been involved in two summertime wars and had seen a great deal of action. Unfortunatly his group was hit by gunships. His grasser and akk dog dead, he hiked on foot for three days. Since Korunnai have no settlements anymore thanks to orbital weaponry he had little hope of finding another Korunnai goush. On the third day however he encountered two strange men being attacked by vine cats. Kanner dispensed with the predators easily and volenteered to lead the men to a Jup (jungle prospector) stronghold. The two men revealed themselves to be Jedi negotiators who had been sent to try hammer out a peace treaty between the waring group. In thanks for his service they offered to take him offworld and train him as a Jedi. Having seen the yearly bloody conflicts that would dominate his future and probably cost him his life, Kanner accepted.
The jedi kept their promise and sent him to Master Toleda for training. Kanner failed horribly. Kanner had always fought with the force using emotion and animal instinct. This obviously completely contradicted the Jedi ways of control and serenity. Even still Kanner never truely wished to give up the Korunnai ways he grew up in. He prefers his Vibroshields and blaster over his lightsaber, and can barly touch the force in the controlled manner Jedi do.
After he declaired his desire to leave the jedi Toleda was concerned, but agreed on the condition he returned every lunar cycle to meditate, allowing her to keep an eye on him. This keeps him in contact with the Jedi, and maybe someday he will embrace the Jedi way. Toleda has allowed him to keep his lightsabre to remind him of this.
Kanner is a habitual loner. He often goes into the wilderness for weeks, and he often finds this is were he is as close to peace as he can get. Out their he trains and relaxes. When around the others he is quiet and genrally doesn't try to get involved with the other students. In combat he is perhaps the exact opposite. He becomes predatory and angry. It is at these times he feels the force at its most purest. Obviously he hears the dark sides seductive call more then anyone.
Kanner is about six three. He is naturally muscular and rugged. He keeps his blond hair very short and usually had a light beard coming in. He dresses in functional, slightly worn clothing. He caries his weapons with him almost all the time, though he hardly ever even practices with his lightsaber. His Vibroshields almost always are resting on the upper part of hist arm, and he keeps them in top condtion

Rogue Janson
30 June 2003, 12:36 PM
History notes are finally up here (http://groups.msn.com/SWRPG/tojeranotes2.msnw). Also there are a few pictures to help get the feel of the ToJ era stylehere (http://groups.msn.com/SWRPG/totjcampaignimages.msnw?Page=1), with some more coming soon hopefully. There's also a great picture of Adun-Isl in there (if we're really lucky Chivers might draw some more characters from the campaign).

The Ghost
30 June 2003, 12:49 PM
a request for something else. well i have something flavorful to give today.

Silence permeated the scene, though she knew full well the sounds of the jungle were there.
Mia-Lann reached under her robe folds as she studied the eerie place. A moment passed before the deep blue glow of her lightsabre came into view and scattered a few small animals back into their shadows.
"Odd." She mused to herself; amazed the word broke through the heavy quiet. She closed her eyes for a split second, gaining a stronger sense of the nagging feeling that had steadily grown within her. Mia-Lann wandered carefully forward, letting her footsteps be guided.
"I hope I know what I'm doing." She muttered under her breath. Master Adon had been so sure she could complete this task alone, so Mia had held her tongue and did what she must.

A Jedi does not give into Fear. But Mia was afraid, and her destination did not allay the feeling. She stood in the marshy water, looking up at an obsidian temple. Moss and vines clung desperately to the building, as Mia now clung to her weapon. The place stank of the Dark Side, and it called for her by name. Mia-Lann stepped through the temple's entrance.

And awoke.

Ardent
30 June 2003, 06:29 PM
Nikalya Renew of House Honaus of Anaxes grew up a galaxy apart from most of her peers. Abandoned at birth by her parents, Nikalya was raised by Lord and Lady Honaus. But Nikalya was different. She felt the whispering call of the Force. She noticed things nobody else did, and felt what other people felt. She revealed this only to her adoptive family, and they in turn protected her when the inevitable ambassadors of the Jedi Order arrived. Nikalya was never sure why, but she was certain she had to discover the nature of the Force for herself, without the doctrine of the Jedi Order.

She spent her days absorbed in study, hunting down ancient tomes containing discussions on the nature of the Force and practicing her own skills. Nikalya fostered her talents for years, slowly learning how to sense the Force and use it to enhance her own talents, much like the Jedi Knights do. Life intervened, however, and Nikalya had to become socially adept as well, and quickly proved she excelled in social situations. A combination of beauty, charisma and Force-granted empathy allowed her to deftly navigate most social gatherings.

Eventually, though, Nikalya hit a stone wall in her training, discovering that she was unable to manipulate the Force to her own advantage. No matter how hard she worked, she failed to produce results. Something told her that these skills would be vital to her in the future, and she sought out the only means of further education she had: the Jedi Order. Nikalya found herself assigned to Master Toleda's tutelage, and has tried to understand her Jedi companions. Nikalya, unfortunately, is somewhat reserved by nature, and doesn't want to reveal too many cards to the Jedi Order yet. When questioned about her Force skills she'll just shrug and grin, saying "It just came natural." She won't reveal any deficiencies except that she's unable to tap the Force to alter her surroundings.

Her inability to fully trust the Jedi has made relations somewhat tense, but Nikalya's charisma and warmth, artificial as it often is, tends to help everyone forget the strained social situations.

Physical
Nikalya is a tall girl, standing approximately 1.6 meters in height, with a slim fencer's build accenting her above average beauty. Her deep green eyes are usually hidden behind her often tousled dark brown hair. Nikalya is fond of particular outfit, consisting of riding pants, riding boots, a tight linen tunic and a leather riding jacket. She typically carries a blaster pistol on her hip, a precaution against kidnappers, and seems comfortable with it there.

Mental/Emotional
Nikalya is a strong-willed girl who hides a deeply instinctive being beneath a stoic exterior. She's sharp as a tack, capable of reasoning out solutions to intimidating problems with little more than a passing effort. She's particularly knowledgeable in Anaxite culture, the demands on Citadel cadets, military history and tactics and strategy, in additional to her self-taught efforts in understanding the Force.
Nikalya's driving goal is to catch up with her parents, whom she thinks can reveal things about her Force-Sensitive nature she cannot tap into on her own.
Nikalya is a bright and cheerful when pressed, bottling up her rage for moments when she's alone -- or at least thinks she's alone -- to explode. She hasn't mastered her emotions yet, and hasn't made a whole lot of progress towards doing so.
Nikalya likes starships. She enjoys flying and enjoys being aboard a starship, but she dislikes the first few hours dirtside after being aboard ship for a while.
Nikalya is uncomfortable with lightsabers, and has thus far resisted Master Toleda's overtures that she should, perhaps, be learning how to construct one.
Nikalya is very disappointed with her inability to alter her surroundings with the Force, and is emotionally sensitive about it.

Social
Nikalya is an adopted member of the Honaus House of Anaxes, and as such is extended a lot of leeway when she's on Anaxes and within the political circles of Coruscant as well. Her true nature as a Force-sensitive is known to very few outside of her immediate adoptive family, however, so the few members of other houses who are aware of her nature plot against her and House Honaus. They feel adopting a Force-Sensitive child was a powergrab on House Honaus' part, despite rebuffs that the Honaus family had no idea about Nikalya's nature prior to adoption. House Honaus has protected Nikalya from the Jedi Order's grasping hold, as well, so Nikalya feels indebted to them, no matter how close to the Jedi her gallivanting brings her.
Nikalya is typically reserved around persons she doesn't know and hasn't been introduced too. But she's cheerful, outgoing and bubbly around people she knows and likes. She hides a keen ability for reading others, enhanced by her Force skills and youth amongst a noble house.
As long as the Jedi help Nikalya explore her Force-Sensitivity and search for her biological relatives, she is willing to work with them in a friendly and forthright manner, even insofar as undergoing training with Jedi masters. She finds Master Toleda well-meaning, if a bit rigid for her tastes.
Nikalya answers to the name 'Nika.'

--------------------------------------------
An interlude on Coruscant
--------------------------------------------

Nika crept through the dimly lit passageways, finding shadows to hide in whenever another being approached. She moved confidently with a skill that would put professional thieves to shame. Darting through briefly quiet intersections, she steadily made her way through the Temple.

The cosmopolitan nature of Coruscant never ceased to amaze the young Human. Gazing out on the myriad lights of the city had a calming effect on her troubled mind. The shifting, dancing, whirling patterns of light captured her attention and let her be free of the burden of the Force briefly. The current of white rippled in waves of peaceful energy. She felt at once part of and detached from the Force. Nika enjoyed the solitude one could only achieve in the middle of a metropolis. Perched comfortably upon the railing, she was open to the Force and at peace.

A scuffing of a boot against the pavement alerted her to the presence of company, but Nika was too absorbed in the moment to care. Her visitor approached and stood behind her, leaning against the balcony's rail.

"It is marvelous, isn't it?"

Nika just sighed wistfully in answer.

"You come here seeking solitude...and something else."

Nika was tempted to see who the interloper was, but refrained, keeping her attention on the currents. The voice was deep, masculine...calming. In no way threatening. She had nothing to fear from this person, and she knew it in the very deepest part of her being.

The shifting of fabric let Nika know the being behind her had nodded, probably to himself. "In time, young one, you will find what you seek. A place where you are one with the currents you find so relaxing. Somewhere you belong. Somewhere away from here."

Nika was somewhat startled at this, and turned to face the stranger with such shaking revelations. She turned to find nobody there, and no sign that anyone else had been on the balcony at all. Somewhat shaken by the event, Nika returned to her chambers, intent on sorting out the reality of the encounter...

Rogue Janson
1 July 2003, 09:04 AM
First post is up. Not stunningly well written, but it'll do.

Rogue Janson
3 July 2003, 02:13 PM
btw, I apologise for giving you a chance for introspection, then immediately having Toleda tell you off for it. But well, being a Jedi isn't an easy life.

Vreel Kudarin
5 July 2003, 04:59 AM
Adun-Isl, Jedi student (http://groups.msn.com/SWRPG/totjcampaignimages.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=166)

Brief History
Adun-Isl grew up on a remote space station in the Outer Rim, living with his parents, who were banished from Thosa when his father Urun-Isl refused to follow the Warrior Path and fight in a civil war. Life was not easy on the station. His father earned little as a tech, and often Adun-Isl would creep through the maintainance tunnels and air vents of the station to steal food or luxuries for his parents. At first they tried to discourage him, but he was so adept at it that eventually they gave up.

Adun-Isl imagined himself on great adventures as he flitted silently about the station, avoiding guards, exploring the vast network of secret places. Sometimes Adun-Isl would make use of his natural telepathic ability in mischievious ways to frighten people who did not know the source of the voice in their heads. When his parents learnt of this they severely reprimanded Adun-Isl. They did not want to be persecuted for their abilities.

Then the Sith War came. Nine years ago, When Adun-Isl was eleven, a Mandalorian clan attacked the space station, rampaging through it's corridors and docks. It was several days before a Jedi and Republic rescue force arrived, and Adun-Isl saw many of the station's occupants slaughtered. His own father lost a leg during the pillaging. The Jedi Master who led the rescuers was Toleda. Realizing Adun-Isl's Force potential that reached beyond his species evolutionary traits, she offered to take the Draethos family to Tanaab. They willingly agreed.

Physical
Adun-Isl stands at 1.7 metres. Adun-Isl is covered in scales ranging from purple to dark pink. As a Draethos, he possesses beady black eyes, and his lipless mouth gives the impression of a large overbite. Adun-Isl has a toned muscular frame, and keeps up his physical fitness alongside his Jedi training, sometimes as a means of being by himself.

Since beginning training under Jedi Master Toleda, Adun-Isl has taken to wearing a dark slate-grey robe, and volumous neutral-coloured trousers. He wears brownish plated boots, combat gauntlets, and headress of Draethos design. Attached to the belt around his robe he carries the lightsaber Master Toleda has given him until he can construct his own. The lightsaber is of a standard design for the era, possessing three prongs at the blade emitter end, and decorative right-angled patterns etched into the dark metal bands around each end. The handle grip is swathed in black material. Besides this, Adun-Isl has few possessions, as befits a Jedi.

Mental/Emotional
Adun-Isl is of average intelligence, though he has experienced relatively little of galactic society in the Republic; thus sometimes he is unsure of what behaviour is expected of him, or how others will react. His main area of knowledge is the Jedi Code as taught by Master Toleda. He has shown a keen interest in tales of the great deeds of the Jedi since the commencement of his training, and enjoys listening to Orlan Toora's stories.

He is very aware of his surroundings, and tends to constantly re-evaluate what he is sensing, especially when away from Tanaab, where he feels most comfortable. This can give the impression that Adun-Isl is paranoid. Adun-Isl has good intuition, and the area of the Force he has advanced most in is it's applications relating to sensing and being sensed.

Adun-Isl enjoys his lightsabre practice, and has shown interest in learning how to construct one of his own. He spends more time sparring than he does in discussion with his fellow Jedi.

Tanaab is decidely home for Adun-Isl now. He enjoys his peaceful time there, where he understands the people, and has peers who can share in his exploration of the Force. When traveling off world, Adun-Isl becomes more introverted, and wary. He finds trust hard to come by. He is confident in his own abilities of stealth, evasion, and awareness.

Adun-Isl detests the violence and brutality the Mandalorians unleashed on his home, and wishes to prevent future atrocities of this kind. After hearing more of the evil carried out by the Mandalorians during the Sith War, Adun-Isl's ill-feelings towards them were reinforced. He attempts to control these feelings, as he knows as a Jedi he must not give in to hatred, but at times he finds this difficult. As he is rarely vocal, Adun-Isl often manages to keep these background thoughts secret.

Social
Adun-Isl often finds social situations difficult to gauge, and can appear twitchy and nervous sometimes. In this way Adun-Isl lacks charisma. He prefers to hang back in discussions or conversations, though is keen on companionship, and eager to help and apply the Jedi Code. Due to his high level of observation, he is usually good at reading people.

Adun-Isl is close to his parents, who were brought with him to Tanaab by Master Toleda. Master Toleda tutored Adun-Isl on the Jedi Path. He has great respect for Toleda, ever since her dramatic entrance as saviour in his life, and almost thinks of her as another member of his family.

His only real friends are the other students under Master Toleda, though they may not realise that he feels this camaraderie due to his slightly introverted nature. In recent months he has also made a few acquaintances with the farmers and civilians of Tanaab, helping out with various tasks from time to time, as Master Toleda expects.

The Ghost
5 July 2003, 06:15 AM
i'm not missing, just waiting to post until there seems the right time.

Vreel Kudarin
5 July 2003, 06:28 AM
"They're still coming through!" yelled the Human guard into his lapel comlink, clutching his blaster rifle. Closing the second blast door had not slowed the Mandalorian attackers.

The centre of the door buckled inward under the battering from the other side, and then a jagged hole appeared. Large mechanical talons were shoved into the break, straining to widen the gap. A blast from the outer hull rocked the space station. Leveling his rifle at the door as it was rent apart, the guard saw the grate covering an air vent pop open, and an alien child roll out.

"Get behind me! Get behind me!" he shouted to the child. The small non-Human picked himself up from the mesh decking, and ran past the guard, just as the blast door crumpled. A hulking, beast-like automaton muscled it's way through the breach. On the back of the Basilisk war mount rode a Mandalorian warrior. He ducked as his ride moved through the hole, then turned his T-shaped visor to look at the lone defender.

"Sithspawn!" screamed the guard, his volley of scarlet fire spattering off the thick armour of the war mount. The multiple weapon barrels in the 'face' of the pale blue Basilisk spat a hail of orange bolts, cutting the guard down.

The child never stopped running. Terrified, he skidded around a corner, several glowing energy bolts flying over his shoulders. Mere minutes earlier, Adun-Isl had been stealing frozen nerf steaks from the stores of galley five. Now everything he had ever known was being literally torn apart.

Adun-Isl had to find his parents, he had to find safety. The corridor the young Draethos sprinted along was devoid of life. Behind him he could hear the pounding of the Mandalorian war mount as it charged after after him. He cried out in terror.

Again the station was rocked by a massive explosion, causing Adun-Isl to stagger forward into a stack of boxes. A pipe running along the shadowy wall on his left ruptured, startling Adun-Isl with a jet of white vapour. He reached a cross-junction, glanced backwards and saw the massive form of the Basilisk ploughing through the crates. Again Adun-Isl screamed - "Father!" He took the corridor branch leading deeper into the space station, "Father, please!" He was desperate, he had to find someone to protect him.

The others must be heading for the inner sections. It's safer there, thought Adun-Isl frantically.

Running past a series of storage bays, Adun-Isl could hear a lengthy exchange of blaster fire echoing through the corridors behind him. The Mandalorian rider seemed not to be pursuing him further. He reached a security door, but it was sealed. His small obsidian eyes started to well up with tears, and the Draethos child beat his dark pink and purple hands against the barrier, shouting to be let in. His mind fueled by fear, Adun-Isl glanced about for something that might aid him.

He looked up at the tiny viewport in the door that was above his eye-level. Spotting a small, empty tool crate, he dragged it to the door and stood atop it so he could see through the port. Adun-Isl wiped the grease obscuring his view from the transparisteel using his already grimy sleeve. Straining his eyes, he made out the form of a trio of techs jogging away from the door. One of them was unmistakeably his father.

*Father!* shouted Adun-Isl, silently, for he called his father through the natural telepathic ability that all Draethos possessed. His 'voice' must have been loud through the Force, for all three techs came to a halt. His father, Urun-Isl, turned and immediately spotted the face in the viewport.

*Son! Hold on!* The adult Draethos ran back to the security door, leaving his dumb-founded colleagues behind momentarily as they tried to discern how the kid managed to shout through the security door...

Rogue Janson
8 July 2003, 03:08 AM
I'm probably going to end this little intro when I post this evening and then you can get on to actually doing some stuff.

Any comments so far?

I know it's been a little slow, for a number of reasons.

Btw, there is no Jedi council in this era.

Kanner Ra'an
8 July 2003, 05:45 AM
So far you've got me interested. It looks like this is going to be cool.

farr0095
8 July 2003, 07:29 AM
You've certainly kept my interest picqued, despite my recent lack of posting. But that can be attributed to not wanting to keep writing that Gallagher is somewhat bored. :D

Keep it up and lets see where it keeps going!

Vreel Kudarin
8 July 2003, 09:25 AM
We've certainly got quite the dissonant, perhaps potentially dysfunctional group of Force-users, from what I've read so far. But at least that means plenty of opportunities for personality-building and roleplaying.

I'm still getting a feel for the other characters, some more than others, but I'm firmly locked on with playing Adun-Isl, I'm enjoying Paths of the Force so far :) Great work, Janson.

Ardent
8 July 2003, 10:25 AM
Well, I dunno. Philosophical interpretation is a lot of fun (for me). It's interesting, as an observer, to note how different each of the students are. From Nika's perspective, she hasn't bothered to notice much. ;)

Rogue Janson
8 July 2003, 11:33 AM
Good to hear no-one's put off yet.
What may end up happening is after every 'adventure' section we'll have a session of discussion and reflection (not that I don't encourage that the rest of the time), but we'll see.

I like a bit of philosophical discussion myself, though I'm wary of taking it too far in a SW setting. I only hope I can sound like enough like a wise Jedi Master, at least until your characters start arguing things out between each other. :P

One thing that has come up already is that from time to tie some characters will be a little marginalised or out of place. There's not really any way around that, though I'll do my best to incorporate everyone of course, so I hope you can all bear with us when it happens.

The Ghost
8 July 2003, 12:41 PM
philosophy is all fine and dandy, but it's not Mia-Lann's style. sorry. you won't get deep insights or long-winded introspectives from her.

Kanner Ra'an
8 July 2003, 02:07 PM
And Kanner will probably just try to avoid it.

farr0095
8 July 2003, 05:33 PM
Gallagher might be inclined to speak up, but the Jedi can still intimidate him from time to time. Still, as a player I always enjoy that kind of RP (as Rogue Janson and Kanner Ra'an might be surmising from IoT). So, I'm looking forward to it. If anything, hopefully it'll find Gallagher a bit more useful in some extent in the near future.

Rogue Janson
9 July 2003, 03:27 AM
philosophy is all fine and dandy, but it's not Mia-Lann's style. sorry. you won't get deep insights or long-winded introspectives from her.
Just remember that she's got 4 levels in Jedi guardian already, so she must have some experience thinking about the Force and things like that.

And Kanner can try to avoid philosophy as much as he wants, but some day it's going to come and find him.

Something I really should have said earlier is that most of you have visited Teruan station before, since it's on a major jump point near Tanaab. The two Jedi students definitely will have and Gallagher will know it best. For Nika and Kanner, it's your call.

The Ghost
9 July 2003, 07:54 AM
having experience in something and actively wanting to use it are two different things.

Rogue Janson
9 July 2003, 09:37 AM
But to have experience in it means she must have done it at some point.

Ardent
9 July 2003, 10:32 AM
Tanaab is relatively close to Anaxes, and House Honaus is a naval family, so the chances Nika's been there is pretty good. Whether or not she has explored it before, on the other hand, is something I haven't decided.

I realize a couple of the characters are not stereotypical intellectual types, but that doesn't mean they can't participate in a little philosophy. ;)

The Ghost
9 July 2003, 01:20 PM
i reiterate: "...and actively WANTING to do it"

She doesn't like listening to her thoughts, because there is a lot of doubt and old memories in there. it's like the basement with a burned out light to a 6-year old.

Rogue Janson
9 July 2003, 01:51 PM
Well ok, but under what circumstances will she do it?

And so far we haven't really been talking about major philosophical discussions, just some fairly minor points.

I'm just pushing this because the last thing I want is for Mia-Lan to say, reach Jedi Knight graduation stage and not have seriously participated in any discussions.

I dunno, probably I'm getting too concerned at too early a stage. Probably best just to leave it and we'll all see how it comes along.

Rogue Janson
9 July 2003, 02:57 PM
Shannon, I think Gallagher may have got that song stuck in everyone else's heads now... :rolleyes:

farr0095
10 July 2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by The Ghost
Mia frowned, listening to the story. "What was on the planet that you didn't like?" She said, hesitantly but with compassion that showed she was more concerned for his feelings than interrogation. She shifted uneasily in the small space, trying not to touch the walls but remain as unobtrusive as possible.

Did Mia join Gallagher and Nika or did she go off on a separate mission?

Rogue Janson
10 July 2003, 09:06 AM
Everyone's in or just outside the same little cell at the moment. (Gallagher, Nika & Mia are in, Adun-Isl's just outside, I'd say Kanner is too.)

Shannon's IC post highlights a point I was going to make.

As I'm sure you've noticed, I'm not waiting for everyone to post before writing my posts. I try and estimate how important the characters are to the situation, how much interest they're showing in it, whether I think people have had an opportunity to post, whether I've seen them online etc., then I'll decide whether to respond. If at any point anyone feels they're missing chances to post because I'm coming in too quickly, please do tell me and I'll leave things a bit longer.

Naturally, when it comes to more important situations, combat and the like I'll wait for everyone to post (or tell me they're not going to) before moving on.

The Ghost
10 July 2003, 12:01 PM
vacation time for me.

i leave tomorrow, and my appearance may be spotty at best. i know for the 4 days during the con i will be nowhere near a computer.

NPC or let Mia-Lann fade as you see fit, please. try not to use psychometry unless the most desperate urging from Toleda dictates otherwise.

Vreel Kudarin
11 July 2003, 10:35 AM
I've been insulted by the Force, if our GM is really supposed to represent the blessed life-energy! :D

I'm afraid my character's personal and family name cannot be seperated, to do so is a grave insult in his culture. Adun-Isl it must always be.

If it happens again Janson , I may just get that showdown I've always wanted - me versus the Force! :P

Rogue Janson
11 July 2003, 02:20 PM
Incidentally, if anyone wants to know what I look like when I'm GMing games, have a look here (http://groups.msn.com/SWRPG/miscellaneousimages.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=149). And I don't even think that scan properly captures the vacant look of weariness of the original photo.

Vreel Kudarin
13 July 2003, 04:15 AM
I don't want Adun-Isl to get too far 'ahead' of the other characters, as his walking has taken more time than the interrogation. I'll leave posting until the other characters have finished questioning Dreenem (or until I get any GM cues).

If anyone can't get enough of Rogue Janson, there are more photos of him here (http://groups.msn.com/SWRPG/miscellaneousimages.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=154) and here (http://groups.msn.com/SWRPG/miscellaneousimages.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=171). If anyone is particularly bored, there's even a photo of myself here (http://groups.msn.com/SWRPG/miscellaneousimages.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=170). In fact, there are lots of SWRPG drawings and photos one may or may not find interesting there (http://groups.msn.com/SWRPG/pictures).

I've also posted up my drawing of Orlan Toora (http://groups.msn.com/SWRPG/totjcampaignimages.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=169) , the Kitonak Jedi scholar (http://groups.msn.com/swrpg/pathsoftheforcecharacters.msnw) , who we all know from our training on Tanaab, but who hasn't actually appeared in Paths of the Force yet. I'll probably add the holocron he's using so the lighting and angle makes more sense.

Rogue Janson
13 July 2003, 09:54 AM
As of next week, I'm starting work, doing split shifts. This will certainly make my posting more erratic, but I'm sure I can still keep up a decent rate.
So if I'm a bit slow posting that's why.

Rogue Janson
13 July 2003, 01:05 PM
Quick note: Kanner, Mia-Lann and Adun-Isl don't have comlinks.

Ardent
19 July 2003, 07:30 AM
I'll be out of town briefly for my grandmother's birthday, so I won't have computer access for at least a day. Sorry guys.

Rogue Janson
23 July 2003, 03:32 AM
There won't be any post from me until I'm back from work tonight I'm afraid, but this does give chivers a chance to do a post at least.

How's everyone finding things now they're beginning to get a bit more active?

The Ghost
23 July 2003, 10:55 PM
i'm back.

Rogue Janson
24 July 2003, 02:21 AM
Good to have you back. As you can see I haven't really done anything with Mia-Lann, just kept her in the background tagging along with the others.

Rogue Janson
27 July 2003, 02:42 PM
Damn, I meant to reply earlier this evening, but thanks to our telephone line playing up, I didn't. So it'll have to wait 'till tomorrow I'm afraid.

farr0095
8 August 2003, 02:40 PM
Sorry for the short delay on my part. I forgot I had to post.

Vreel Kudarin
20 August 2003, 09:34 AM
Just thought I'd point out the term 'padawan' isn't around until the latter days of the Old Republic. It has connotations of the one-to-one training that Masters gave in the Prequel era. In the Tales of the Jedi era, Masters often train and travel with small groups of students.

Rogue Janson
21 August 2003, 02:49 PM
Chivers has finally got so annoyed trying to get me to correct everyone's minor mistakes he's started doing it himself. Be afraid...

Anyway, I'll try very hard to get a post up tomorrow, though it probably won't be until after work (that's after 10pm GMT - no, BST, actually), unless I happen to get up early.

Ardent
21 August 2003, 03:44 PM
Meanwhile, I think everyone should work on getting as drunk as their respective characters...now where's my whiskey? :raised:

Kanner Ra'an
21 August 2003, 03:48 PM
Way ahead of ya.

Rogue Janson
22 August 2003, 03:20 AM
Rule #1 of GMing: all campaigns should start in a bar or cantina. If this is not possible, the characters must move to one as soon as possible.

farr0095
22 August 2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Ardent
Meanwhile, I think everyone should work on getting as drunk as their respective characters...now where's my whiskey? :raised:

I took care of that last night... although I actually think I went further than Gallagher did with that progress.

Originally posted by Rogue Janson
Rule #1 of GMing: all campaigns should start in a bar or cantina. If this is not possible, the characters must move to one as soon as possible.

I'm not sure if I'm going to give you high marks for meeting this rule in this game. I mean, it did seem to take time to get there. Didn't they have a bar on that ship??

Ardent
22 August 2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by farr0095
I'm not sure if I'm going to give you high marks for meeting this rule in this game. I mean, it did seem to take time to get there. Didn't they have a bar on that ship??

Yeah, but it would have been an expensive bar. Silly consular vessels.

farr0095
22 August 2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Ardent
Yeah, but it would have been an expensive bar. Silly consular vessels.

I'm sure I would have gotten the crew discount. Hehe. If not, when we shove off this station, we may have to look into setting up our own bar. Hey! We could then finance our own missions, without any funding from the Senate or wherever we get money. :)

Kanner Ra'an
22 August 2003, 11:52 AM
Hmmmm, not a bad idea. Do i get a darkside point if i use affect mind to make people forget they were going to leave.

Rogue Janson
22 August 2003, 02:21 PM
Well that's your first Jedi lesson isn't it? Patience.

Hmmmm, not a bad idea. Do i get a darkside point if i use affect mind to make people forget they were going to leave.
That depends how much of a hangover they have in the morning.

...Nice long post from me for a change. Though it's almost all for Nika. Maybe I'll go and write some more description for everyone else tomorrow morning. Or later this morning, rather, since it's one o'clock.

Rogue Janson
2 September 2003, 01:48 PM
There I was coming to write a post today despite the fact Ardent hadn't posted and what do I find? That he had posted, several days a go and I'd missed it somehow. Oops. embarassing. :(

If I do that again, someone tell me to get a move on would you?

Ardent
3 September 2003, 05:48 AM
There I was coming to write a post today despite the fact Ardent hadn't posted and what do I find? That he had posted, several days a go and I'd missed it somehow. Oops. embarassing. :(

If I do that again, someone tell me to get a move on would you?

Well, she was skulking about...it's not a problem. ;)

It's okay, sometimes I skip PotF in my mailbox assuming someone else will post...and then a day later I'll realize I still haven't written a post and...well...

Rogue Janson
3 September 2003, 09:10 AM
Well at least I didn't fire off a complaining PM to you.

It's okay, sometimes I skip PotF in my mailbox assuming someone else will post...and then a day later I'll realize I still haven't written a post and...well...
Yeah, I do the same in other games, and occasionally find while I've been waiting for someone else to post, everyone else has.

Rogue Janson
5 September 2003, 03:14 AM
Ok, Kanner and Gallagher are going to have a little chat with Toleda & Sira Ikeda now; I'm not sure exactly how long it'll take. Meanwhile the rest of you can't do whatever you want; don't post if you don't want to.

Rogue Janson
11 September 2003, 04:05 AM
I hope Kanner and Gallagher didn't have anything else to say (you could always say "just one more thing" if you do). I intend to go straight to tomorrow morning from here.
I'll probably do another post this evening. Until I post next, you can eitherfinish off your characters' actions for the night, or move on to the morning (or both).

farr0095
11 September 2003, 04:35 AM
I was just going to post, but I'll wait for you to respond to this first, that Gallagher was going to wait to hear Nika's report to the Jedi Master in person. Then we could go off and continue on with her leads and my leads.

Ardent
11 September 2003, 06:10 AM
I'm just waiting for an opportunity to break into the conversation...I opted against posting scenes of Nika traveling through the station since that's just so much filler and doesn't really do anything to flesh out the character or set anything up.

So, uh...tomorrow morning probably?

Rogue Janson
11 September 2003, 09:43 AM
Damn, I forgot about Nika in that last post. It's a little forced, but leaving it to tomorrow morning is probably the best idea. Gallagher can comm Nika to tell her to go to bed, then you can all talk things over at breakfast or something. That sound good?

I'll edit my post to reflect this.

farr0095
11 September 2003, 09:54 AM
I'll take care of that then.

Rogue Janson
16 September 2003, 12:21 PM
Not particularly happy with my last post, but I needed to get it done. If we can, I'd like to sort out what you're going to do without much discussion, prefereably in one round of posts, so you can get on with it.

Rogue Janson
19 September 2003, 12:40 PM
Ok, I've skipped on from breakfast. The second part is written from the POV of Adun-Isl because there are no problems with him being there and being seen. The rest of you can decide what you want to do, how openly you want to wander around/associate with one another etc.. Likewise, I leave it to you exactly how early you want to check the place out.

If you can fit it in, it'd be nice to have a little description of what your characters are wearing.

The layout for this area is a little complex. I'll try and work up a little map for you, but it might be a bit tricky. If you have any questions about the layout, don't hesitate to ask.

Rogue Janson
22 September 2003, 12:17 PM
As you'll hopefully notice, I've put up a map with my last post. Not particularly pretty, but hopefully it's clear.

Here's what everything represents, if you're confused:
The rooms in light grey make up Kir'thi's. Black bars are doors, white are openings (I couldn't be bothered to weld the shapes together or cut bits openin). The dark grey bar across the main room is the bar. The room behind is a backroom. There should be a door out to the corridor behind that, which I forgot to put on. The two rooms on the lower right are a level up and there are stairs up to them. Obviously all the rooms are filled with tables and stuff, which I haven't put on (save the back room, which obviously you can't see).

The dark grey is areas that aren't part of Kir'thi's, of varying types. The light grey is a level up, including the walkway Adun-Isl was on. To the right is a fairly large cargo-way.

Hope that's all clear.

I'll probably be posting again tomorrow, since the last post was just description. Hopefully that'll give you a chance to respond to or look into anything you want to and allow chivers time to post.

Nice round of posts, by the way.

The Ghost
22 September 2003, 12:20 PM
sometimes the muse hits one just right.

Ardent
22 September 2003, 01:11 PM
Think you could add a little text for where everyone is currently situated? It'd be nice to see who I can and can't see.

Rogue Janson
23 September 2003, 03:12 AM
I was thinking people could note their locations in their next post, but I can decide if you want. At the moment I think Kanner's at or near the bar. Gallagher has probably found a table somewhere in the main room so he's visible. Mia-Lan's round the back and I guess Adun-Isl's still on the walkway outside for now.

Rogue Janson
29 September 2003, 03:18 AM
Sorry for the slight delay, I'll have a post for you all tomorrow. I've just come back down to university, so I'm a little dislocated at the moment.

edit: ah, we need to wait for chivers to post. Hopefully you'll have a post from me tomorrow then. (and hopefully I'll remember to bing my rulebook tomorrow.) It's all paused at a suspenseful moment.

Rogue Janson
30 September 2003, 04:56 AM
Could everyone (save the ghost) do me a favour and resend their character stats to me please. In the transition to university I seem to have mislaid them (I have a tendency to constantly shuffle stuff between computers; I think I must have had them only on a floppy and then wiped it).

The Ghost
30 September 2003, 12:37 PM
that's because wily ghost puts those stupid geocities megs to good use!

if anyone else wants to use my HTML forms, or just needs some storage space for a character, i'm more than happy to do so. just let me know.

Macdeth
8 October 2003, 10:08 AM
Hey there, just corious if there is still room, I wouldn't mind playing, if thats cool

Played and GM'd star wars so i am familiar with it.

Just let me know

My e-mail is

normanmatthews2@hotmail.com.

Thanks, also, I hope it was kool to post this question here, if not, umm, whoops?

MacDeth

Rogue Janson
9 October 2003, 06:57 AM
Yes, this is a correct place to ask stuff like that.
For reference though, if anyone else reads this and wants to join, it's probably better to pm me to ask.

Rogue Janson
11 October 2003, 09:07 AM
Hope everbody likes the post.

The map works the same as the last one. Light Grey is floor level, darker grey are things that are raised - mainly shelving/racking and crates here. There is one exception to this rule - the dotted area to the right is a conveyor belt set a metre down into the floor. The other dotted area is also a conveyor belt, coming down from the second level. The blue squares are palettes. White denotes either a gap in a wall, or second level sections, such as a gantries that you can walk underneath. Stripes indicate stairs and the pads with 'L' on them are lifts.

Hopefully you'll be able to see that this fits in with the previous map. Adun-Isl is running in from the left hand side. The corridor and raised walkway that passed along the front of Kir'thi's are in the middle and the main corridor is to the right. It hasn't really come out on the map, but this slopes down so that it's a level lower by the time it reaches the warehouse door (it's a level up in the previous map).

I was considering only putting this map up in bits, as you saw it, but if you want that effect, just don't scroll down. I've a map of the second level as well, if you go up there.

Once/if someone actually gets inside, I'll describe things in more detail. :)
Anyone questions about anything?

Oh, all of you have awful danger senses, btw. Like a group of anti-Mara Jades.

The Ghost
11 October 2003, 09:43 AM
awful danger senses? like you're rolling poorly for us?

or you just think we're not insightful on our end?

Ardent
11 October 2003, 09:55 AM
Well, insight aside, knowing ourselves what's occuring and deciding whether our characters would have made the same determination is tricky. Nika's perceptive, but is she as perceptive as I am? Dunno. It's always hard to say...besides, she's eminently prepared. ;)

The Ghost
11 October 2003, 10:06 AM
awaiting a PM response from RJ, i'll post sometime later. it may concern Adun-Isl or Gal.

Rogue Janson
11 October 2003, 11:50 AM
awful danger senses? like you're rolling poorly for us?

or you just think we're not insightful on our end?
Well yeah, it is just my rolling, but I prefer to blame it on you.

Just a quick rules note - Kanner, you can't take 10 on that check, because you're in a stressful situation.

Rogue Janson
17 October 2003, 02:08 AM
Provided I can get a computer, I'll try and have a post for you tomorrow Shouldn't really have waited so long for Shannon to post, considering he's probably just running.

farr0095
17 October 2003, 02:24 AM
Oh... I'm sorry, you're mostly right that I'm still running, but I completely forgot that I owed a post. It's been a hectic week. But I'm just putting one up now.

Rogue Janson
23 October 2003, 11:40 AM
Can I ask for a little bit more about what your characters are thinking and feeling in your posts please. I know that action isn't the time for big introspection and long emotional pieces, but it's also a time when emotions are strong. I really want to know what your characters are thinking and feeling at the moment.

Having said that you guys are rubbish at danger sense, when it comes to Force skills, you're all really good. Gallagher wins another prize for being the first person to lose a wound point. To a door. (that's what happens when you roll 1s on reflex saves.)

I thought you might like an update on the conditions of your characters, in case you haven't been keeping a close track. So here's what state everyone's in at the moment:

Adun-Isl: 30VPs, +3 battlemind bonus (8 rounds left)
Gallagher: 5VPs, 12WPs, fatigued
Kanner: 25VPs, +6str (8 rounds)
Mia-Lann: 32VPs
Nikalya: 22VPs, +4str (9rounds)

Rogue Janson
6 November 2003, 03:05 AM
I know this isn't the best time since we're in the middle of an encounter, but I'd like to know how you're all feeling about Paths of the Force. Do you think it's going well? Are you enjoying it? How are you feeling about the characters? My GMing? etc.
Also, what bits have you enjoyed and what would you like to do more of?

I'd just like to get some feedback so I can decide how we're going to procede after this encounter (and if there's anything I can change immediately to make things better).

Vreel Kudarin
6 November 2003, 09:09 AM
I'm really into Paths of the Force, at the moment, Tim. Begun to get a real grasp for Adun-Isl and how he would respond to different situations. I'm very much looking forward to developing his character and discovering how our group will fare. PbP can sometimes seem to lag at times, due to the players' outside commitments, but I'm finding co-crafting this tale very rewarding. One thing I am having a bit of trouble with is keeping with the pathos of the TotJ era. Having read the graphic novels, I've got a good idea of the feel, and I'm gonna try and bring this out more in my descriptions of scenery and people. Part of the reason I gave Adun-Isl a formal mode of speech was to throw in with the high-adventure, legends/chivarly aspect.

One minor suggestion I have is for labels on the maps, or colour/shade legends to explain what things are; so the information is easily at hand, instead of reading through a post and comparing with the map. This may have something to do with my occupation. PbP gaming is not always easy when it comes to visualising the GM's universe :P

I am desperately trying to find time to do some drawings of the characters, I was going to have a go at Master Toleda and Mia first, as I think I have a better grasp of their appearance than the other characters thus far. I was considering a group picture of the full-on Jedi: Master Toleda, Orlan Toora, Adun-Isl, and Mia-Lann, though maybe I should start smaller.:sabersml:

Ardent
6 November 2003, 09:10 AM
I think it's going great actually, but I'm leaving for two weeks as of right now. So I probably won't have many chances to participate for a bit.

I should back sometime after November 21st.

Rogue Janson
6 November 2003, 10:09 AM
I think it's going great actually, but I'm leaving for two weeks as of right now. So I probably won't have many chances to participate for a bit.
Ok, that might work out quite nicely actually if we round off what Nika's doing right now.

Kanner Ra'an
6 November 2003, 11:26 AM
I've got to echo Vreel's comments. I've been really enjoying the game as of late (even if i'm unconsious). I'd love to offer some useful feedback, but i have had no problems with anything so far in the slightest.

The Ghost
6 November 2003, 11:51 AM
i pulled the Jaina picture for Mia-Lann just because there wasn't anything that really stood out on SWAG (where i try and pull all my SW pics).

forgive me if i seem terse at times, but there will be a conflict of interest between letting people know too much of what's in her head too soon and making things a little surprising. i'll most always err on the side of caution and hold back a lot of inner monologue for the time being.

Rogue Janson
6 November 2003, 03:38 PM
I'll try and get a post written for you all before tomorrow evening (spent today reading the unifying force. I'm looking forward to writing this one and you'll get to meet a character who'll be uncannily familiar to chivers.

Has anyone else had problems with the maps?
Chivers has complained lots about them, but I don't know whether that's just his usual tendency to complain. Either way, try and put labels and stuff next I use one (I don't intend to use them much).

forgive me if i seem terse at times, but there will be a conflict of interest between letting people know too much of what's in her head too soon and making things a little surprising. i'll most always err on the side of caution and hold back a lot of inner monologue for the time being.
I think probably a bit more would be good; I know I'm really interested to know what's going on in Mia's head and I would think everyone else is too (not to mention as GM I really should know, even if you have to pm summaries to me). I understand you might want to keep some surprises for the other players, but this shouldn't be at the expense of not giving a feel of what the character's like now. I'm not sure big emotional surprises and surprising actions will make up for time lost on the character.

Ardent
21 November 2003, 07:46 PM
You should consider me back, at least for a little bit. My situation's a bit...complicated at the moment but I should be able to contribute a few posts.

Rogue Janson
22 November 2003, 04:29 AM
Good to have you back Rob, I think the situation could use a feminine touch.

Post is done, sorry it's not very good from any point of view.

Kanner's hearing is pretty much back now, btw.

farr0095
23 December 2003, 02:22 AM
Hey there, all. I know that our illustrious leader is a bit overwhelmed by schoolwork, but looking through the posts, I see that only two of us posted since Rogue Janson's last post. And those were all quite some time ago. Of course, this is bad timing, being around the holidays and all that, but I hope that some of you might be able to come out of the woodwork and help keep the game alive! :)

The Ghost
23 December 2003, 03:08 AM
i don't have much to go off of, considering my last post was about hurrying after whomever i was following

Ardent
23 December 2003, 05:20 AM
I forgot why I was waiting. :x I'm hoping I remember soon.

Rogue Janson
26 December 2003, 10:20 AM
I'm really sorry for the big pause, but there's a new post up now.

This section should be finished in a few rounds of posting. To be honest, it's mainly down to Adun-Isl and Gallagher now, so for the rest of you, while of course they're always very much appreciated, posts aren't absolutely essential - unless of course you do something, or something happens spectacularly different to how I expect.

There's nothing specifically for Mia, Kanner or Nika in this post. For reference, Mia's just done a bit of healing and has come into the docking bay behind Gallagher, and I presume Kanner and Nika have been heading towards the warehouse, provided they figured out the right way to go. If so, they should be coming up on it round about now.

You can take a few more liberties than normal with posts at the moment if you want and if you want to ask me anything or discuss something with me to smooth things along, please do so (that's mainly aimed at Shannon & Chivers).

farr0095
27 December 2003, 03:33 AM
Rogue Janson, thanks for the post. I hope I took just enough liberties with my reply. I'm sure you were looking to take us into a new direction, but staying in character pushed Gallagher in that direction.

Let me know if you need something changed in that post.

Rogue Janson
27 December 2003, 04:12 AM
That's fine, Shannon, it's your prerogative to ignore my ideas, as long as you play in character. :):rolleyes: Is there anything particular you want to do now or was that a 'rounding off' post? (because I may be able to wrap this up after chivers posts.)

farr0095
27 December 2003, 05:20 AM
Well, I was going to tell... er, whatever his name is that Jara fled and that it was mostly out of my hands unless he wanted to try to help. I'm still trying to help this resolve peacefully, and help out the Duros spacer. Gallagher believes his story, actually, but feels that he's about to get on the wrong end of the pointy stick.

Rogue Janson
27 December 2003, 10:22 AM
Well that's about it for Teruan (though note your characters don't actually know that yet). I'll have a proper concluding post later tonight or tomorrow and then we'll be on to the next section.

Score 1 slaver captured, 1 lost and 1 unaccounted for (you won't get the chance to track him down since we're moving on).

Everyone gets 2,200 experience points for all that, save for Gallagher who gets 2,500. Don't even think about asking me how I worked that out. I will say, though, that it's not a reflection of how I rate your roleplaying. Some characters could be roleplayed perfectly and end up getting less experience than all the rest.

As always, anyone have any questions or comments at this point? Any suggestions, things you'd like more/less of or anything else?

I'll say that for me running Paths of the Force has been a challenge. It's the first PbP game I've GMed so I've had a lot to learn, particularly about how to keep things moving at a reasonable pace. As a result this section has gone on a lot longer than I planned. I'm looking forward to trying to put some of the lessons into practice in the next section, which considerably more thought and imagination has gone into than Teruan station.

It's been really good fun GMing though, and I can't thank everyone enough for staying with it and coming up with excellent posts and roleplaying.

Rogue Janson
28 December 2003, 03:50 AM
Not very good at writing these summary/ending posts. I'll probably think of more stuff later and either edit it in or do another post, depending on whether people want to do rounding off posts of their own. Anything I've missed (other than Tehr Kinta) that I need to put in?

I'll hopefully have the first post of the next section done tonight or tomorrow.

edit: I just put up a little dramatis personae (http://groups.msn.com/swrpg/pathsoftheforcecharacters.msnw) which may be useful. It serves the double purpose of reminding me how to spell my NPC's names correctly.

Rogue Janson
30 December 2003, 10:55 AM
We're going to have a new player joining us, but he probably won't be able to post until saturday. As a result I won't be posting until tomorrow at the earliest.

On the plus side, that gives me more time to fine tune my post - I've done a draft but I'm sure I forgot some stuff - and I'm quite happy with the outline plan I've got for this adventure. Now I need to think of a decent name for it.

The Ghost
30 December 2003, 09:17 PM
PotF:A nice lunch, XP, and no fighting.

eh? eh?

Rogue Janson
31 December 2003, 04:57 AM
"PotF: Fall of the Jedi and Triumph of the Sith"

Ardent
31 December 2003, 06:42 AM

Doesn't bother me. ;)

Kanner Ra'an
31 December 2003, 07:54 AM

Me niether, Force Adept.

Rogue Janson
1 January 2004, 12:01 PM
Well in the end I went for and abstract title- "Light and Twilight" which I didn't think was too melodramatic. Some of the stuff in the post could have been explained a bit better and there's plenty more that maybe I should have put in, but on the whole I'm pretty pleased with it.

At this point, your characters can reflect, ask questions, talk to one another or whatever you want to do.

Rogue Janson
2 January 2004, 10:08 AM
I've just edited my post with some small but moderately important things I missed. There's a little more on Carron and I've mde clear that the Hanai are all human. To make things more misleading I wrote mouths instead of mouth when describing Mideki Sachiyo (that bit escaped redrafting because my sister was trying to get her rat to bite my toes). Sorry for any confusion.

Ardent
2 January 2004, 11:21 AM
I've just edited my post with some small but moderately important things I missed. There's a little more on Carron and I've mde clear that the Hanai are all human. To make things more misleading I wrote mouths instead of mouth when describing Mideki Sachiyo (that bit escaped redrafting because my sister was trying to get her rat to bite my toes). Sorry for any confusion.

You should force her to play Dance Dance Revolution with you for six straight hours as payback. It's the ultimate torture. Sure, at first dancing is fun...but then...six hours later...BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Okay so there are better plans.

Rogue Janson
2 January 2004, 11:28 AM
She actually got a PS dance mat for christmas, so I could do that. There's an obvious flaw in the plan though.

Ardent
2 January 2004, 11:59 AM
She actually got a PS dance mat for christmas, so I could do that. There's an obvious flaw in the plan though.

Not if you get drunk first. That's how we do it. After beer pong comes DDR. If we're lucky we remember to loop it through the VCR to record our crazy dancing. ;)

The Ghost
3 January 2004, 08:35 AM
and now there's Karaoke Revolution. these are indeed the end of days.

Rogue Janson
3 January 2004, 12:46 PM
I can just imagine Ardent and his friends insanely dancing to Dance Dance Revolution set amidst a post-apocalyptic landscape.

Getting my sister drunk then making her play the game isn't really a viable solution because she's only 12. And she'd probably outdrink me.

Macdeth
3 January 2004, 01:13 PM
Hey there!

Just saying hi and excited to be playing, but I got to jet for now, talk to you all real soon.

Ardent
3 January 2004, 01:30 PM
Hi Macdeth.

Oh Janson you don't know the half of it. We're compulsive (alcoholic) gamblers, so everything we do, especially related to alcohol, has money riding on it...

It's never pretty, especially when we have good alcohol. But as I said, we have videotapes. That we bury. In the woods. And have sworn never to dig up.

As far as getting your sister drunk...unnecessary. You need to be drunk, she needs sugar (preferably in chocolate form). Trust me, I've done it with my niece.

Kanner Ra'an
3 January 2004, 02:25 PM
As far as getting your sister drunk...unnecessary. You need to be drunk, she needs sugar (preferably in chocolate form). Trust me, I've done it with my niece.

I can sympathise. You gotta be drunk to do anything with my family. No nieces, just a lot of cousins.

Ardent
3 January 2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Kanner Ra'an
I can sympathise. You gotta be drunk to do anything with my family. No nieces, just a lot of cousins.

Well, I needed a few drinks before I could be coerced into playing with her, because she was a lot better at DDR than I was (I am fairly uncoordinated when it comes to dancing...anything beyond slow-dancing is beyond my meagre abilities). She was pumped up on a chocolate high, so she totally slaughtered me.

Rogue Janson
4 January 2004, 06:22 AM
A distinct lack of any questions or comments from your characters last round. I don't really mind at the moment though, I'm quite happy to move things along quickly, as long as you're all happy.

Ardent
4 January 2004, 09:32 AM
A distinct lack of any questions or comments from your characters last round. I don't really mind at the moment though, I'm quite happy to move things along quickly, as long as you're all happy.

It's unclear to me whether any of them actually paid much attention to what was said, although a few of them *tried*.

Rogue Janson
4 January 2004, 10:08 AM
So I'm trying to train a load of attention deficit disorder Jedi here?
Well the joke'll be on them when they realise they were asleep during the bit about the Sith behemoths. And why all visitors to the planet have to wear skirts. (the two are connected.) etc...

The Ghost
4 January 2004, 11:44 AM
just because one does not ask questions doesn't mean they haven't gotten answers.

But being honest, our characters do tend to know their parts and to what end they are each best suited.

"i was more like Uncle Luke, a living weapon. point me at something and let me go" -paraphrasing Anakin Solo post mortem.

The Ghost
6 January 2004, 07:47 AM
nevermind.

Ardent
6 January 2004, 09:24 AM
Well look on the bright side. At least we're not ADHD Jedi. 8o

farr0095
6 January 2004, 09:47 AM
I agree with Ardent, because that would just get too weird! But I didn't really have anything to post earlier, other than, "Gallagher quietly listens in the background, trying to pick up clues." That and I was busy with travel over the holidays. Of course, my latest post, I suppose, offered nothing in the way of interaction either.

The Ghost
6 January 2004, 12:34 PM
though i enjoyed it. i believe it's the first post where a character has begun labeling the others.

farr0095
6 January 2004, 12:40 PM
Absolutely, Ghost, that's precisely it. I was hesitant to do so, especially without providing interaction in the same post, but opted to go for it. I know that if players bring in OOC knowledge of what another PC thinks, it might affect the game, but I also suspect that we have gamers of a quality such that this will not be a problem. I think that I had planned to make some action when I started, but in the end it just ended up being Gallagher's thoughts. As a fellow PbP GM, I find that these kind of intraspective RP posts are some of the most valuable as to providing insight into the characters.

The Ghost
6 January 2004, 12:50 PM
which is also kind of the reason i've been holding back on too much of Mia's inner self.

Macdeth
6 January 2004, 09:04 PM
Just a question...I'm playing Kingts of the Old Rpublic and was wondering if the time is during Malak's reign, or is this before Malak and Revan...or are we not bothering with that timeline?

Macdeth
6 January 2004, 09:29 PM
Also, forgot to ask, could I get maybe a shot description of the PC's...it'll help my posting.

Thanks and sorry for being a pain in the blaster ;)

Oh yes, wasn't that just too clever ;) ;)

farr0095
7 January 2004, 01:54 AM
Be sure to check out the Dramatis Personae (http://groups.msn.com/swrpg/pathsoftheforcecharacters.msnw) which Rogue Janson has put together. Additionally, for the PCs, check out earlier in the thread. You can find a link to Mia-Lann Saar (http://www.geocities.com/amdavis@flash.net/d20/SW/mia.html) complete with picture. There is a background (although I didn't say what he looked like there) for Gallagher Flint (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?postid=146399#post146399) (although the direct link doesn't seem to be working, it's post #17); then there's an in-depth survey (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=146590#post146590) I did for Rogue Janson about Gallagher (see post #21 in the same thread). Vreel Kudarin has a very nice write-up of Adun-Isl (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?postid=146559#post146559) (Post #19, same thread). Check out Kanner Ra'an's Kanner Ra'an (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?postid=147467#post147467) at Post #29. And then Ardent chimed in with a nice look of Nikalya Renew of House Honaus Anaxes (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?postid=147538#post147538) down there at Post #32.

Hope that helps!

Rogue Janson
7 January 2004, 03:41 AM
Someday I'll put up descriptions of the player characters on SWRPG.

As for KotOR, at the moment all KotOR stuff is considered 'non-canon' for Paths of the Force. I have the game on order though and when I play it through I might introduce content from it. That said, I think the time we're playing in is probably before the KotOR period.

Macdeth
7 January 2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks abunch!

Oh and here is Carron

Carron Thar

Physical
Basic physical features – 6’0, 170lbs, obviously in good shape. Black Hair and Green eyes. Scar just above the right eye.(small) Age, 23 Cybernetic leg
Clothing, apparel, possessions – Usually dressed in very plain clothing and a black jacket made from the Hide of a small Herd Animal from his home world, a Wallybuck. He carries a Heavy blaster and his lightsaber. (Orange) Other then that just whatever credits he has.
General appearance – He Carries himself in a very confident looking manner, however seems to have a hard time keeping the stubble off his face.

Mental/Emotional
Has a general knowledge of the Galaxy and it’s workings, however other then his knowledge of the Force, he has a nack for piloting.
Currently his main motivation is to redeem himself in the Eyes of the Jedi.
Strengths – Confident and driven. Weaknesses – At times overconfident, and pushes himself too far. Fears – Failure would be number one
Likes – time alone to think and train. Loves – A challenge and flying. Dislikes – Slavery, and criminals. Dishonesty.

Social
Family – Non living that he knows of. Friends – One, Rala Omara (Female Twi’lek Mechanic. Occasionally travels with him. Currently working on a space station in the outer rim) enemies – Balib Coll (Human, former Jedi, Carron was his padawan)
Personality – Carron is quiet unless he has something to say, and sometimes that can be a lot. Although he projects a “tough guy” image, he is kind, especially to those in need and has more then once given his last credit to someone who needed it more
Social skills – Carron is empathetic and uses that to help him in negotiations. He can usually tell when he is being lied to, even without the Force.
Corran treats anybody with respect who treats him in the same manner. This, to a certain degree is the way he sees even Jedi Masters, though he is not so naive that he doesn’t know his place.

History
Carron came from a small backwater world called, Tribanus 4. He was discovered by Jedi Knight Balib Coll when he was 17. After discovering his inner connection to the Force, Balib took him as a Padawan. Over the next few Years, Corran learned much from his Master. Both in the Ways of the Force and in the ways of the Galaxy. After a few Years, Carron began to notice changes in his Master. He became Harsh and angry with the way the Galaxy was being run. As it turned out, Balib had giving into his negative feelings and turn to the Darkside, and planned on taking Carron with him. Balib took the young man on what he called, “Mission of Necessary Balance.” Confused Carron took part in it. IT ended up being the ambush and murder of a Senator and his family. For this, Both Carron and Balib where exiled from the Order. Carron however realized the Error of his ways, and confronted his Master, which erupted in a Battle in which Balib took Carron’s leg of at the knee. Carron never understood why Balib didn’t kill him, but he has sworn to bring him to Justice and Redeem himself.

Vreel Kudarin
7 January 2004, 10:20 AM
far0095, I think during Gallagher's introspection, he got Nika muddled with Mia-Lann. I distinctly remember Mia healing Gallagher, not Nika... :)

Hopefully I'll have 'KotOR' soon, too, Macdeth. 'Paths of the Force' is set about 1 year before the graphic novel 'Tales of the Jedi: Redemption' ; which is set 10 years after the end of the Great Sith War, when Exar Kun and Ulic-Qel Droma were defeated. I'm pretty sure I read 'KotOR' takes place after 'Redemption'.

If Rogue Janson doesn't put up those profiles and other exciting background stuff soon, I certainly will ;) I've started doing it for my 'Call of the Gods' campaign.

As for appearances of characters, I've done a picture of my character, Adun-Isl which is up here. (http://groups.msn.com/SWRPG/totjcampaignimages.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=166)

I've also done one of the (NPC) Jedi scholar Orlan Toora, from Master Toleda's training base on Tanaab. It's over here. (http://groups.msn.com/SWRPG/totjcampaignimages.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=169) Though I'm planning to do an improved version of this, adding in the holocron Orlan is using. I'm also trying to find time to do drawings of the other characters, so I'd also like to read detailed descriptions from you guys!

farr0095
7 January 2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Vreel Kudarin
far0095, I think during Gallagher's introspection, he got Nika muddled with Mia-Lann. I distinctly remember Mia healing Gallagher, not Nika... :)

LOL That is funny. I'll let it go, I think, and explain that Gallagher wasn't really paying close attention. Could lead to more interesting situations. :D

Ardent
7 January 2004, 01:04 PM
Hm. I should write another interlude. In fact, I think we all should...those threads have been hanging a while now, and with the first adventure through, it might help us get ready for the next part.

Rogue Janson
7 January 2004, 02:00 PM
Just tell me if you're bored/finished and want to move things along. Unless you start up something new or get onto a really good line of thought I won't leave it long. If your characters get bored, they can just wander off and do something else.

originally posted by Macdeth
Carron nodded his agreement with the Draethos, feeling that that is exactly what they will do. The reaching in to his jacket he produces and small metal box, and retrives a small orange candy. Popping it it his mouth, he closes his eyes and enjoys it's sweet taste.
He's lucky he waited till the Jedi Master was out of the room, otherwise it'd be "did you bring enough of them for everyone?"

originally posted by Farr0095

Originally posted by Vreel Kudarin
far0095, I think during Gallagher's introspection, he got Nika muddled with Mia-Lann. I distinctly remember Mia healing Gallagher, not Nika...
LOL That is funny. I'll let it go, I think, and explain that Gallagher wasn't really paying close attention. Could lead to more interesting situations.
You're lucky you avoided Adun-Isl picking up on it (what with the telepathy and all) and pointedly making reference to it in his thoughts.
Next up on Mark's hit list - Kanner's use of then rather than than.

Oh, and by the way, from now on consider anything Adun-Isl says to be heard by every being within 500m via broadcast telepathy.

I've just written up a little Hanai glossary, here (http://groups.msn.com/SWRPG/hanaiglossary.msnw), which may help you, and me, when I chuck these words around.

farr0095
7 January 2004, 04:58 PM
Oh, and by the way, from now on consider anything Adun-Isl says to be heard by every being within 500m via broadcast telepathy.

Is broadcast telepathy always on? I always figured it was a species trait that a Draethos could turn on and off. Otherwise, there would be no such thing as privacy, and the Draethos Jedi Master would really suck to be around. Or a Draethos who is crazy. "Should I have toast? Or mush? Or toast? Or dirt?" And everyone in the restaurant hearing it!? Wow, that would be weird.

The Ghost
8 January 2004, 01:18 PM
blonde hair??

check that picture again, Mia's a brunette.

Ardent
8 January 2004, 01:30 PM
blonde hair??

check that picture again, Mia's a brunette.

Yeah, didn't you know? Blondes may have more fun, but brunettes are better in...yeah we're not gonna go there.

Macdeth
8 January 2004, 02:43 PM
I'll finish that...they're better in summer...don't burn as easily...that what you ment right ? ;)

Rogue Janson
9 January 2004, 03:35 AM
Better in melee combat?

Ardent
9 January 2004, 07:01 AM
Better in melee combat?

A fair analogy.

Rogue Janson
10 January 2004, 04:14 AM
This bit of LaT is a little tricky to write. There's a lot of reasonably important description and stuff for me to write before you lot can do anything particularly interesting and quite a bit that really just need skimming through. At the same time, I want to give you and your characters a chance to comment, think about things and maybe do a little extra stuff.

Anyway, unless someone finds an interesting sidetrack I'll try and get through this quite quickly in just a couple more posts. As usual, if anyone feels they're missing opportunities to post or wants to roleplay a particular bit some more, just tell me and I'll slow down a bit.

Vreel Kudarin
10 January 2004, 07:43 AM
I'm sorry about that Ghost, for some reason I remembered reading somewhere that Mia had blonde hair, my mistake. I'll correct that. Maybe getting in more physical descriptions of our characters and what they wear will help avoid future embarrassments LOL.

Janson, I really liked your description in your last post; very atmospheric and scenic.

The Ghost
10 January 2004, 08:00 AM
that's why i put up a picture.

Rogue Janson
10 January 2004, 08:19 AM
I'm sorry about that Ghost, for some reason I remembered reading somewhere that Mia had blonde hair, my mistake. I'll correct that. Maybe getting in more physical descriptions of our characters and what they wear will help avoid future embarrassments LOL.

Janson, I really liked your description in your last post; very atmospheric and scenic.
Thanks; it's pretty important for me to get across the feeling and style of the location and the Hanai at this point so it's a vivid background for everything afterwards.

Were you getting Mia confused with Nika? I believe Nika has blonde hair.

Btw, I agree that a bit more physical description of the characters would probably be good. Something I've learnt as GM is that it's important to repeat descriptions because people will forget them - so that's something I intend to do in future despite not being very good at describing people, and I think it's worth doing for the player characters as well. You may have a picture of your character fixed in your mind, but there's no guarantee anyone else does.

Of course, a picture's really helpful if you can get one, though it's still worth describing clothes. I think I may have a minor obsession with roleplaying characters' clothes though.

The Ghost
10 January 2004, 08:43 AM
generally i do describe clothes, but it's Jedi Garb. so it's kind of not worth describing after all this time.

on Mia's character sheet is a picture. the link's a couple times through this thread.

Ardent
10 January 2004, 08:57 AM

Dark brown. *grumble* Like...not quite black kind of brown.

Btw, I agree that a bit more physical description of the characters would probably be good. Something I've learnt as GM is that it's important to repeat descriptions because people will forget them - so that's something I intend to do in future despite not being very good at describing people, and I think it's worth doing for the player characters as well. You may have a picture of your character fixed in your mind, but there's no guarantee anyone else does.

Just to restate...
Physical
Nikalya is a tall girl, standing approximately 1.6 meters in height, with a slim fencer's build accenting her above average beauty. Her deep green eyes are usually hidden behind her often tousled dark brown hair. Nikalya is fond of particular outfit, consisting of riding pants, riding boots, a tight linen tunic and a leather riding jacket. She typically carries a blaster pistol on her hip, a precaution against kidnappers, and seems comfortable with it there.

Of course, a picture's really helpful if you can get one, though it's still worth describing clothes. I think I may have a minor obsession with roleplaying characters' clothes though.

Who's picturing what now? I'm not really all that certain myself. Anyone doing Nika only has to keep three things in mind: green eyes, dark brown hair and slim build. That's pretty mundane, really.

Rogue Janson
10 January 2004, 11:58 AM

Does that prove my point or make me look stupid?

Actually, I just realised I have quite a strong idea of what Nika looks like in my head that probably doesn't relate much to Rob's description. Not sure where it came from, I think it may be based on Tyria Sarkin, largely because the ponytail is a prominent feature.

Ardent
10 January 2004, 12:03 PM

Does that prove my point or make me look stupid?

No, we were all having a blonde moment. Move along. :p

Rogue Janson
11 January 2004, 10:22 AM
Just a quick note: is there anything particular your characters would have grabbed to take to down to Omeyl with them?

Ardent
11 January 2004, 11:36 AM
Just a quick note: is there anything particular your characters would have grabbed to take to down to Omeyl with them?

Ironically, I was just pondering whether Nika would have brought anything besides her normal gear with her. I'd say no, although I may regret that later. :/

Vreel Kudarin
11 January 2004, 12:45 PM
I don't think Adun-Isl will be wearing anything else beside his normal clothes, all-temperature cloak, combat gauntlets, and lightsabre. I think he may have taken a utility belt with a few rations if one was available on the Arrete or in the shuttle though.

The Ghost
11 January 2004, 02:43 PM
only what she would normally have on her, including utility belt

Kanner Ra'an
11 January 2004, 03:13 PM
Kanner would have his normal gear; the all temp cloak and weapons. Probably the only thing he would have grabbed is some rations and some extra fresh power packs for his weaponry. A comlink too maybe.

Macdeth
12 January 2004, 11:16 AM
Regular gear, and maybe a book. Perhaps Huck Finn vs. The Intergalactic Muntant Frogs from the Planet Pain!

The Ghost
13 January 2004, 12:07 PM
using my Nature Affinity.

Wisdom Check:
DC 10 gives me 200m radius of living creatures. (Hide check opposes if they can sense i'm scanning).
DC 15 gives me the state of wellbeing of the area(assuming same area but it says "environment" interperet as you will)
My Mod is +2
unless interrupted, i'll do this 6 times (once per hour) in between meditation.

Rogue Janson
14 January 2004, 01:09 PM
Kanner, Macdeth, feel free to open up your posts for the duel, don't worry at all about sticking to one or a couple of 'game' rounds per post. You could actually work the whole thing out between yourselves if you wanted, but I presume you want me to do rolling & rules for a bit of friendly competition. :P
I wonder if it would work if I PMed you the results (maybe to each of you in turn) so you can write up what happens yourselves.

Macdeth
14 January 2004, 07:38 PM
I like that Idea...the PMing Idea

Rogue Janson
15 January 2004, 02:50 AM
Ok, well I'll give it a try - might be worth getting to work since I'm sure we'll have more practice duels in the future.

So ... I'm not sure exactly how to do it, what if I try working out two rounds at a time, then I'll PM one round to each of you. Hmm, but then you'd probably have to post in order. But then you'd probably have to do that anyway.

Rogue Janson
15 January 2004, 08:59 AM
With the characters splitting off doing radically different things, it may be a little tricky to keep them all in the same time frame. As it stands, Kanner and Carron are the most 'ahead', so you two get fighting. Nika's spent a bit of time changing so she's a little behind them. Adun-Isl's spent some time watching Mia-Lann wander off, so he's probably behind Nika. Mia-Lann's covered for the next hour-and-a-half or so, unless something happens.
Oh and finally, Gallaghers ahead of everyone else because I've forgotten to edit Shannon's suggestion for him into my GM post.

farr0095
15 January 2004, 03:57 PM
I'm not going to post anything now, so please don't wait for me. :) Hope those sparring don't kill each other!

The Ghost
16 January 2004, 07:29 AM
With the characters splitting off doing radically different things, it may be a little tricky to keep them all in the same time frame. As it stands, Kanner and Carron are the most 'ahead', so you two get fighting. Nika's spent a bit of time changing so she's a little behind them. Adun-Isl's spent some time watching Mia-Lann wander off, so he's probably behind Nika. Mia-Lann's covered for the next hour-and-a-half or so, unless something happens.
Oh and finally, Gallaghers ahead of everyone else because I've forgotten to edit Shannon's suggestion for him into my GM post.

1 hour walk, 6 hour meditation, 1 hour walk back.

barring being called back early, that's most of the day.

Rogue Janson
16 January 2004, 09:26 AM
Hmm, I was thinking it took you 10 minutes per check for some reason.

The Ghost
16 January 2004, 11:56 AM
1 hour per check.

DarkLordXainious
16 January 2004, 06:52 PM
Im new here and i dont know where to post? Dont get me wrong...iv been RPing for many years and run my own site...

Rogue Janson
17 January 2004, 04:04 AM
Have a look at the introduction to the RPing forum here (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14240).
And to pre-empt any question, unfortunately I'm not taking on any new players for PotF at the moment. Six is quite enough for now.

Rogue Janson
17 January 2004, 04:09 PM
Kanner, Macdeth, I'm waiting on one of you to start attacking so the duel can commence.

DarkLordXainious
17 January 2004, 07:27 PM
too bad you dont care to talk to me or help me....your loss, bye

Ardent
18 January 2004, 12:33 AM
Slightly more on topic...I'll be departing for Africa sometime Monday evening...I expect to be in Amsterdam sometime Tuesday morning, and through some small miracle only have a brief layover there and should be in Tanzania sometime Tuesday evening.

When I get settled I'll try to get some responses in, but there are a lot of unknowns in the equation right now. At any rate, I'm not abandoning Nika, or the campaign, but she may be a bit more...quiet...on the whole.

Vreel Kudarin
18 January 2004, 02:53 AM
too bad you dont care to talk to me or help me....your loss, bye

Tim, what is it with you and your threads attracting random posts from people? :? I think if Threepio was here, he'd say something like: "Well, that was most dreadfully ungrateful!" whilst flailing his golden arms.

P.S. Ardent, have a great holiday, that all sounds rather exciting!

Rogue Janson
18 January 2004, 04:23 AM
Tim, what is it with you and your threads attracting random posts from people? I think if Threepio was here, he'd say something like: "Well, that was most dreadfully ungrateful!" whilst flailing his golden arms.
I think we need a protocol droid to deal with stuff like that. And to discourage people from doing it. Or a tattletale droid - "Mara Jade, Ka'pa no wishes to see you!"

Slightly more on topic...I'll be departing for Africa sometime Monday evening...I expect to be in Amsterdam sometime Tuesday morning, and through some small miracle only have a brief layover there and should be in Tanzania sometime Tuesday evening.

When I get settled I'll try to get some responses in, but there are a lot of unknowns in the equation right now. At any rate, I'm not abandoning Nika, or the campaign, but she may be a bit more...quiet...on the whole.
Ok, well we'll miss you. Like Chivers, I hope Tanzania is good. How long are you going to be out there for?
We can probably run the talks just as well with Nika chiming in occasionally; it doesn't need to be a challenge and response thing. Does mean I'll probably have to find something else for Gallagher to do though.

Ardent
18 January 2004, 09:56 AM
As of right now, I have a position for four months, although things could change overnight. I expect I'll be able to get internet access on a fairly regular basis (and a lot of people have demanded correspondence), but the being able to afford it part...maybe not so much. ;)

Macdeth
18 January 2004, 02:59 PM
Sorry bout taking too long on the post...my girl came up this weekend and I handn't seen her since Christmas so..umm, lets just leave it at that.

And , I hope that my post wasn't too asuming, I just like the idea of Kanner and Carron turning it up instead of stopping. Two proud warriors and all that jazz.

Rogue Janson
18 January 2004, 04:06 PM
That's a good post. If neither of you had posted tonight I would have just done a little filler about you running through some basic moves to keep you in-line with the other characters. I don't see any problem with it being too assuming; I'd assumed you'd be getting into a proper practice duel rather than just some exercises.

Do you know burst of speed doesn't actually give you any advantage in combat? (it just increases your movement speed and jump distance) In rules terms I've treated it as Battlemind in what I've written, it doesn't make a difference as far as the IC game is concerned really.

I'm PMing kanner the results of the start of the combat, so he can write it up, indicate any change in stance or technique for his character, then I'll work out the next bit and PM it to you, etc..

I should have a post done some time tomorrow, but probably not till the evening because I've an unusually busy day. (Monday's about the only day I actually have any lectures or tutorials, and I've also got essays to write).

Ardent
21 January 2004, 01:11 AM
Hey guys, just checking in. I'm in Tanzania now, making my arrangements. It looks like I should be able to check in every weekend...internet access is fantastically cheap. ;)

That's the good news. The bad news is, that as a teacher I have sixty students in each of my four periods (and, hopefully, the requisite work to correct for each of those students -- here's hoping I'm as good with African kids as I am bored American emergency services personnel). So having time to do a whole lot of checking in may be out of the question. We'll see how the first few weeks go.

Janson, if you could, somehow process the bits and pieces of the plot important to Nika and e-mail it off sometime Thursday evening or Friday morning (I'm only about an hour off from GMT here -- same day) so I can have it to read instead of churning through a slow connection to the Holonet and a bundle of stuff that, while I'm sure will be fantastic reading won't have a whole lot to do with my character, it'd be fantastic.

My e-mail is available through the HNet.

farr0095
21 January 2004, 01:40 AM
Glad to hear you got in safe and sound, Ardent. I hope you have a fantastic time there in Tanzania and enjoy yourself. If you get the chance, let us know how it goes from time to time!

Kanner Ra'an
21 January 2004, 03:21 AM
Hope you have a good time down their Ardent. I dont enevy having to teach 240 kids, especially if their like i am to my teachers :D, but it sounds like it will be a cool experience.

Rogue Janson
21 January 2004, 06:13 AM
Janson, if you could, somehow process the bits and pieces of the plot important to Nika and e-mail it off sometime Thursday evening or Friday morning (I'm only about an hour off from GMT here -- same day) so I can have it to read instead of churning through a slow connection to the Holonet and a bundle of stuff that, while I'm sure will be fantastic reading won't have a whole lot to do with my character, it'd be fantastic.
ok, I'll work up a sort of weekly Paths of the Force digest to send. I'm still figuring exactly how to run the negotiation (due to imagination failure I'm stalling at the moment by letting realism - ie timing - interfere with things). It may end up that it's just Nika in there with Master Toleda (obviously I can't explain why that might be ;)), in which case I'll probably just cut her out for a while. If that happens, maybe if I have the energy and you have the time we could write up some of what happens in story form between us.

I'll echo kanner and shannon, hope you have a good time, but certainly sounds like quite a challenge. :)

Finally, I'll post up something for Mia-Lann as soon as I can plausibly do so. I'm looking forward to it, but she's still quite a way ahead of the other characters so I can't just yet.

The Ghost
21 January 2004, 07:46 AM
did that on purpose.

i've been plotting for my deadlands game on friday and didn't see time to think up a long post. it's hard to be longwinded when one is used to short posts at a rapid pace. my fault for being too much the realtime-chat gamer and less the PbP gamer.

neverwinter has spoiled me.

Rogue Janson
21 January 2004, 09:15 AM
Ok, well as long as you don't mind too much. I've got the combats going on in the training yard to keep me occupied.

Rogue Janson
29 January 2004, 03:08 AM
Kanner, Macdeth, can you two post indicating what your characters want to do. (Or if it's something that's really dependent on me, give me a PM.)

Kanner Ra'an
29 January 2004, 09:04 AM
Like i said in my post, Kanner is just wandering around on his own. Hes trying to get a better idea of what the Hanai are like and how they live. In other words, playing tourist.

Ardent
29 January 2004, 10:51 PM
It's ironic that you put it that way, Kanner. That's exactly what I've been doing. Learning the greetings (about half of which are relevant only to the locals -- the Masai) and generally trying to avoid having my pocket picked. I guess I'm fortunate in that I have an intimidating and world-weary demeanor...I seem to get left alone a bit more than my companions.

But I haven't been entirely unaccosted. I tend to surprise those who would approach me by being polite...I leave being rude to one of the other Americans with me (who is quite good at being rude -- side-effect of corporate employment in his defense).

I'd love to get with you on the dialogues, Tim, but my schedule is sticky. I'm usually in town on Wednesdays for drinking with other volunteers and expats and on the weekends for a bit of holiday from teaching...and village life.

All in all, having a pretty good time of it so far (aside from some blistered feet) and intend to have as much fun as I can.

Vreel Kudarin
30 January 2004, 02:30 PM
Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself, Ardent! Lots of Spot to avoid Sleight of Hand it sounds like. And Intimdate!

Being rather entrenched in Tales of the Jedi at the moment, I read Masai as Massassai first time, which had me a bit worried, LOL.

Keep safe!

Macdeth
31 January 2004, 12:00 PM
Sorry for the Delay, but the lovely Network here at Rez decided to crap out...ahh, College, got to love it ;)

And by the by, I ment to say this a while ago, Good luck Ardent, and maybe you should teach the kids role playing 101 ;)

Rogue Janson
31 January 2004, 12:14 PM
Minor apology from me; I've been a bit distracted recently because I've a stats project to do and an exam coming up. So I haven't been pushing things as quickly as I should have, and I haven't written up or planned any of the negotiations, which I want to get done so you can go over it as and when you have time, Rob (I can tell you a variety of economic and social statistics about Tanzania though). Anyway, I suppose I'd better get on and write an IC post.

Rogue Janson
3 February 2004, 09:39 AM
Just noticed that the title of Shannon's last post is probably more accurate than he intended.

A post from me should be coming shortly, though don't let that put you off if you're going to post (essentially for everyone but mia-lann you're just riding out of town).

Rogue Janson
9 February 2004, 01:51 PM
Just so you have an idea of the geography of the area, it's fairly open except for the woods ahead of you. So unless the kidnappers have hidden Mia-Lann, they've probably gone off into the woods where they're not likely to be seen. Really need somoene with track...

Rogue Janson
10 February 2004, 12:34 PM
And you're off, thanks to a good roll for Adun-Isl.
I won't wait long before posting again, but if you post, could you indicate what sort of speed you're going at. Attempts to go too fast through the woods may lead to falling off. Or even getting hit by branches, which is possibly even funnier.

Ardent
11 February 2004, 03:21 AM
I don't know, I think a little fly-on-the-windshield might be funnier, myself.

Rogue Janson
12 February 2004, 04:42 AM
A short post, just to give you an opportunity to do something different if you want. Again, I won't wait long before posting again, I may even do so this evening.

Thought I'd give you a little vitality check too, because I've let you have back around half the VPs you lost in duelling (since they were only practice combats): Adun-Isl 17/36, Carron 18/29, Gallagher 20/20, Kanner 28/34.

farr0095
12 February 2004, 04:48 PM
Can I get a reading on what exactly "dazzled" means to a character?

Also, if I can't post in the morning (or don't hear about this) I'll be out over the weekend. But I'm sure that the illustrious GM can pilot Gallagher for a short bit if needed.

Rogue Janson
13 February 2004, 03:25 AM
Call it blinded for a short period of time. Basically your saijun isn't going anywhere unless you pull off some spectacular ride check. Should have fudged Gallagher's reflex save if I'd known you'd be away Shannon...:P

The Ghost
18 February 2004, 12:02 PM
zzzz... zzz... zzz...

Rogue Janson
19 February 2004, 03:55 AM
Ok, Macdeth's having computer troubles, so likely won't be able to post until Sunday or thereabouts. Which means it's open season on Carron. :P
...no, but seriously, it means you can take more liberties in your interactions with him, since it'd only be me playing for him otherwise.

Rather fortunately, he's been having trouble controlling his mount, so couldn't have done anything even if he'd wanted to to. (and I didn't even fudge the dice on that.)

And Mia-Lann will be up and about shortly, provided she doesn't just decide she needs some more beauty sleep.

Rogue Janson
19 February 2004, 12:24 PM
For my record keeping, can those of you who have lightsabres tell me what colour they are please. I could look it up myself of course ... but I'm too lazy.

Also, Shannon, Norman and Ghost, can you all give me a short physical description of your characters (like a few sentences > a paragraph). If you've written one elsewhere, copy it, I'm just working up a page on player characters here (http://groups.msn.com/swrpg/potfplayercharacters.msnw).

I think there was one more thing, but I've forgotten it.

Vreel Kudarin
19 February 2004, 01:25 PM
Adun-Isl carries a lightsabre on loan from Master Toleda until he can build his own. It is constructed of a dark grey metal, and is of traditional design, with three prongs of varying length at the emitter end that give the appearance of holding the azure energy blade in place when activated. It is decorated with swirling patterns and the grip is wrapped in a thick black gauze.

:sabersml:

Kanner Ra'an
19 February 2004, 03:04 PM
Kanner's lightsaber is nothing special. It has a goldish coloured blade. The actual pommel is a fairly standard chrome-like cilander with two kinda half semi-circles that extend past the emitter near the ignighted blade and four loops for his fingers, both as he was always worried about losing digits wielding the thing.

farr0095
19 February 2004, 05:05 PM
Also, Shannon, Norman and Ghost, can you all give me a short physical description of your characters (like a few sentences > a paragraph). If you've written one elsewhere, copy it, I'm just working up a page on player characters here (http://groups.msn.com/swrpg/potfplayercharacters.msnw).

From post #21 of this thread (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?postid=146590#post146590):

Physical Traits:
Shoulder length auburn hair with bangs that often droop down into his eyes. Usually the hair is pulled back into a ponytail to keep it out of his way. His dark brown eyes casually take everything in, watching for minute details that might make the difference in walking away from a fight and getting into one. His lips are usually set into cocky smirk, as if Gallagher knows something that everyone else doesn’t; half of the time this is true.
A loose uniform of his organization drapes casually across his lean body, his muscles sinewy and not readily visible. Comfortable black leather spacer’s boots are molded perfectly to fit his feet from years of wear, their toes scuffed and the shafts showing a hint of polish from occasional care. Dark pants that fit his waist get baggy around his hips before tightening as the legs are tucked into the tops of the boots. A cream, slack, long sleeve, pullover shirt hangs from his shoulders with the v-neck opening to show the top of his chest. It rests under a dark utility jacket that doubles as a uniform top and which holds a variety of gadgets from a comlink to a credit chip.

Rogue Janson
21 February 2004, 03:42 AM
I remember my other question now...
Kanner, what do your vibroshields look like?

I was talking about it with chivers the other day - he imagined them like WH40K Tau shields (not sure what they look like) and I've always thought of them as a bit like the LotR orc shields with spike bits at the top & bottom - like the one aragorn gets pinned to a tree by.

Kanner Ra'an
21 February 2004, 07:19 AM
Um, i have no idea what a WH40K Tau shield is either. According to shatterpoint Virboshields are supposed to be chrome coloured, tear dropped shaped shields. They're always larger then the wearers forarms with the pointed end going far past the elbow, and are kept on by some kind of expandale gauntlet worn over the wrist and forarm or upper arm. Their rounded off on the flat surface but have really sharp ends. It doesn't say exactly what they were made off, only that it was once starship outer plating. thats why their so incredible durable.

The Ghost
22 February 2004, 02:34 PM
mechanics parts:

Spending a FP to add to my Heal Self roll to gain VP back.
FP is +2d6
Heal Self mod is +11
HS is a full-round action, so FP won't be for any other checks.

Force Lightning mod is only +1

Rogue Janson
3 March 2004, 07:21 AM
I know the holonet problems are causing difficulty, but it looks like it might be getting better now (fingers crossed). Sooo, where are we?

Kanner, a post from you would be good. Hard to tell whether Macdeth's still got computer troubles, or it's a result of the holonet, but I'll probably write something for Carron soon. Chivers & Shannon you're free to talk & do stuff, just don't get too far ahead of the others.
Ghost, come in when you feel like it. Technically you're only dazed for 6 seconds and it'd take longer than that for everyone else to do the stuff they've done.

Kanner Ra'an
5 April 2004, 12:15 PM
Just a bump to hopefully bring some life back into the game. I know their were the holonet outages, but i'd like to see this one get moving again.

Rogue Janson
10 April 2004, 03:27 AM
I'm waiting on a post from the ghost before going on. It's been quite a while since we had anything from Mia-Lann and since she's going through a lot I don't want to move on without her.

Ardent
11 April 2004, 08:27 AM
Speaking of quiet...do you still want to try to write that discussion dialogue Tim? Either answer is fine by me...

Rogue Janson
11 April 2004, 09:01 AM
er... I'm sorry I put that off so much it never happened. I will write something about the negotiations, which should have some role for Nika you can put in, but it won't be as long or involved as I suggested before.
Are you back from your little holiday in darkest africa now Rob? If so, provided things don't go seriously awry, after much delay this bit should be finished pretty soon and we'll be on to a bit with Nika back in.

Ardent
11 April 2004, 10:07 AM
er... I'm sorry I put that off so much it never happened. I will write something about the negotiations, which should have some role for Nika you can put in, but it won't be as long or involved as I suggested before.
Are you back from your little holiday in darkest africa now Rob? If so, provided things don't go seriously awry, after much delay this bit should be finished pretty soon and we'll be on to a bit with Nika back in.

Well...in a sense. My situation is...up in the air if you'll excuse the puns that arise. However, I should be able to make some time and get some internet access to contribute. However, I wouldn't hedge any bets on it...I'm in the process of what could be a significant career change.

Rogue Janson
14 April 2004, 10:11 AM
Well we're pushing ahead regardless. Hopefully I've palyed Mia-Lann ok. It's not been a very good day for her, but then she hasn't made things easy for herself.

Kanner Ra'an
18 April 2004, 06:43 PM
Hey guys thought i'd share this. I.C. Kessler over at SWAG did a great pic of my PC. Heres (http://swagonline.net/view.php?photo_id=2130&screen=0&cat_id=80&action=images) the link to it. I really like the Vibroshields.

Rogue Janson
19 April 2004, 09:31 AM
Nice; I think the face captures the character well.
I've been planning PotF today and am really happy with it, I've finally nailed down some ideas I've had floating around for ages and worked out what I think will be some nicely dramatic encounters.

Bit of bad news is that I've emailed Macdeth and not got any reply from him, so I may have to NPC Carron for the foreseeable future.

Oh, and I'm taking bets on what Ardent's new career is going to be. I think either mercenary or dictator of some central african republic.

Ardent
20 April 2004, 11:50 AM
Oh, and I'm taking bets on what Ardent's new career is going to be. I think either mercenary

Excuse me! Exactly what do you think I've been doing? ;)

or dictator of some central african republic.

Note to self: have Tim killed.

Kanner Ra'an
21 April 2004, 06:56 AM
My vote goes to dictator. ;)

Rogue Janson
22 April 2004, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I'm leaning towards that idea as well. Where better to start your bid for power than with the youth?

Anyway, Paths of the Force. This encounter's pretty much over, just do stuff amongst yourselves until I move things along.
Next up is going to be a bit of a training/talking session, because you certainly need a bit of guidance.

Having done some proper planning I'm really looking forwards to getting on with things after stagnating for rather a long time.

Unfortunately that there's no sign of Macdeth, so I'll be playing Carron for now - unless any of you want to take him over. Pity, because the few posts he did make were good.
Also The Ghost's MIA at the moment, which is a problem because I'm not keen on ending this bit without some input from him - seeing as it's been pretty dramatic for Mia-Lann.

And if anyone has anyone suggestions or requests (anything you want more/less of? anything that's worked particularly well?) now's a good time for them, before I settle upon my plans too firmly.

Rogue Janson
27 April 2004, 03:21 PM
Sorry for the delay with the next GM post; it's going to be a farly long one to round off the encounter and I have a lot of work this week (one essay down, one essay and an exam to go).

Ardent
27 April 2004, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I'm leaning towards that idea as well. Where better to start your bid for power than with the youth?

You have to consolidate the support of such dignitaries as Darth Buchanan and Darth Limbaugh. However, the youth make excellent stormtroopers...bwuahahahaha.

Rogue Janson
8 June 2004, 08:42 AM
I've edited my last post with a little new stuff, rather than making a new post. Is anyone considering taking farseeing next level?

Ardent
8 June 2004, 08:58 AM
I've edited my last post with a little new stuff, rather than making a new post. Is anyone considering taking farseeing next level?

Nika may...depending on my continued ability to participate...not sure how that'll end up. I'll let you know as soon as I know.

Rogue Janson
13 June 2004, 01:41 PM
Ok, two things.
First, next post from me probably won't be until Wednesday, because it's going to be quite long and I need to think about it and I have an exam on Tuesday.

Second, time for some experience points:
Adun-Isl - 1000
Carron - 750
Kanner - 800
Gallagher - 650
Mia-Lann - 500
Nika - 500

Not enough to put anyone up a level, unfortunately.
As I've said before, please make sure you keep track of your experience points because it's the thing I'm most likely to forget.

farr0095
21 June 2004, 02:31 AM
I'll be away from my computer until next weekend. Sorry for not being able to post, and I hope that everyone has a terrific week!

Rogue Janson
15 July 2004, 09:59 AM
Right, as you may know, Chivers is away for a week, so he's not going to be posting. Unless one of your characters wants to do something unexpected, this bit right now is basically going to be Nakana telling you a bunch of stuff. So I'm just going to be posting when I feel like it, giving a bit of a chance for player posts - I'd like some, to get PCs' reactions, interjections and questions, but I'm not waiting on them. If there's anything particular you think your character might want to ask or say, tell me so I can wait at the right point for you to post, or fit it in myself.

Also, I've just pmed the ghost about PotF, I'm considering seeing if we can find anyone to take over playing Mia and/or Carron.

Rogue Janson
12 August 2004, 03:04 AM
lol, GM not paying attention here. :o (that looks more like a yawn than embarassment I think.)

farr0095
12 August 2004, 04:23 AM
Man, you really let us off the hook on that one. You could have had it kept going and had (at least me) suspicious the whole time. But since that lowers the chances of an ambush, I guess I can't complain too much. Thanks!

Rogue Janson
12 August 2004, 09:16 AM
Yeah, but if the fans were working I couldn't suffocate you :D mwahaha.

Ardent
12 August 2004, 09:27 AM
Yeah, but if the fans were working I couldn't suffocate you :D mwahaha.

Unless they were generating a vacuum. *innocent whistling*

farr0095
26 August 2004, 11:47 PM
Rogue Janson, two reasons quick. One, been super busy. Two, I've got nothing constructive for Gallagher to add. I'll wait until Kanner returns from his exploration.

Rogue Janson
27 August 2004, 05:16 AM
I've been a bit tardy posting myself; I've been meaning to do one since monday. There's a bit of a danger of people not having things to do in this encounter, or rather hopefully everyone should have something to do but I'm a little worried it'll be sequentially rather than at the same time. So I'll just try and keep things moving on, so that people don't get too bored.
Oh yeah, and I hope you're reading Nika's conversation, important background that and she'll tell you when/if you get out so you can all talk about it.